Like Tree74Likes

Thread: Fdny List 6019

Forum Member

Last edited by claneshark; 06-16-2008 at 05:02 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Bam, what's the penalty for not having the immunization records? We weren't told to obtain them and my doc is out of town for the week. I have some old ones from the military hopefully that will do. The other stuff I got. Thanks for all the good info; I think I speak for anyone on this thread in saying you've been one hell of a big help.

Forum Member

The appointment letter said IF available bring them, so I can't imagine them going crazy over it. I don't think I'll be able to get a copy for tomorrow either, but I'm not worrying about it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Good, you have the letter in front of you.
    So IF you have them, bring them. Not everything will be asked for on day one and I can't remember what was, so if you have them good. If not, don't sweat it too much.

Plus, you're welcome. There's lots guys from previous classes here, but haven't seen too many of them lately. I just realized last week that you guys were coming in for swearing in Monday and hadn't seen too info but rather more speculation so I thought I'd throw some two cents in.

It's an exciting day tomorrow, but try to get some sleep tonight. It will be a long day.
    Don't be the one they find starting to doze off.
    The Three A's: All-stars, @ssholes and Anonymous. You choose only one.

We are at work at least an hour early. Not walking in the door, but ready to ride by the top of the hour. Make sure you're through the gate and inside well before the time it says to arrive.

I'm sure I'll be on later tonight, but if not;
    Congatulations.
    Good luck.
    Hang tough.
    bam
    Last edited by ffbam24; 06-15-2008 at 04:10 PM.

Forum Member

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by ffbam24 View Post
    Good, you have the letter in front of you.
    So IF you have them, bring them. Not everything will be asked for on day one and I can't remember what was, so if you have them good. If not, don't sweat it too much.

Plus, you're welcome. There's lots guys from previous classes here, but haven't seen too many of them lately. I just realized last week that you guys were coming in for swearing in Monday and hadn't seen too info but rather more speculation so I thought I'd throw some two cents in.

It's an exciting day tomorrow, but try to get some sleep tonight. It will be a long day.
    Don't be the one they find starting to doze off.
    The Three A's: All-stars, @ssholes and Anonymous. You choose only one.

I'm sure I'll be on later tonight, but if not;
    Congatulations.
    Good luck.
    Hang tough.
    bam

Bam's The man ......

Forum Member

Talking

im soo hype i dont know if ill be able to sleep..lol

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fdny2b View Post
    This is not true at all that is fact. You may be detailed to a truck or work a roster tour at a truck if assigned to an engine but you do not flip flop companies. Some companies NEVER send a probie out...

Also, unless you have a good hook your station assignment is a roll of the dice. If you are very tall chances are you will be assigned to a truck, really short guys shouldn't be surprised to end up on an engine.
    Okay, just to correct a couple of things; loose the word "station". It's a HOUSE, we live there and in 6 months (if you go all the way through probie school) you will too! What COMPANY you get assigned to is based on your home address. If you live upstate, it's gonna be the Bronx or Manhattan. LI will get you to Queens, Brooklyn and Manhattan. Generally if you live in S.I. you're looking at staying out there, but some will go to downtown Manhattan. Some guys have juice and will get into certain companies. That's what a hook is. Some divisions (6,7,13,15) have some the tougher companies to get to, but this is CERTAINLY not always true. One thing to remember is EVERY FIREHOUSE IS WHAT YOU MAKE IT! If it sucks, it's on you. Also, some are busier, some are slower, but everyone goes to work!

The next thing: Tall, short, skinny, fat......whatever. NONE OF THIS has anything to do with where you get assigned!

I buy into the idea that you should work in an engine first. No one puts out the fire except the nozzleman. Truck work is a little more intricate and some positions requier more experiance. I think it's a good idea to learn from the ground up!

All of this is getting WAY ahead! You'll have plenty of time to worry about it later.

Get ready for tomorrow, relax, but be on your A-game. DON'T be late or they'll parade you in front of everyone as the bad example. Shave, but you don't have to buzz your head yet. Bring a little food for the long day and as was said before, you'll look like a hero with that extra money order.

Take notes and be organized. You want to be as efficiant with your time as possible. I only had a 20 minute commute in the morning and 40 minutes in the afternoon with traffic and STILL I only had a bout 4 hours at home, before bed, if I was going to try for 8 hours of sleep. Experiment in the beggining and see what works, you'll have enough time to find what works for you and it'll make your daily life easier.

Last thing to keep in your mind: DON'T GIVE UP!!! I guarantee there will be at least one day, driving home, you'll be sick at the idea of coming back the next day. It's all worth it and you'll get through if you just give them your best!!!

Good luck tomorrow!
    CableGuy516 likes this.

Forum Member

Does it look like there may be another mile and a half run scheduled before this July class?, or am I looking at January?

Also, a very big congratulations to those of you on here that ran well on Saturday.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks southbx. What he said.
    Quote Originally Posted by FDsouthbxNY View Post
    Last thing to keep in your mind: DON'T GIVE UP!!! I guarantee there will be at least one day, driving home, you'll be sick at the idea of coming back the next day. It's all worth it and you'll get through if you just give them your best!!!
    This probably will go through a lot of people's minds at some point. About two weeks in it hit me in the form of, "What the hell did I get myself into?"
    I'll tell you now. I got myself into what I've heard and read about; the greatest job in the world.

You'll hear this in passing everynow and then, "It gets better."
    Believe that. Don't give up.
    CableGuy516 likes this.

Forum Member

Bam and S.Bx have given you some good advice. I'll give you mine when we meet on the 7th. Don't worry about Engine or Truck, worry about getting through the midterm review. 10-15%+ of your class is not going to make it.

Forum Member

Is there any chance of another run taking place for additional candidates before this July class?

Forum Member

Default Couple questions from a newbie

Hey all,

This is my first time posting though I'm certainly not new to the forums, I've been checking on here for updates pretty much since I got home from taking the written test last yr. I just received my investigation packet in the mail (list # 17xx)and a notice telling me I have two CPAT orientation sessions at the end of this month. I'm a little paranoid about making sure I do everything right. I just have a couple questions for those of you who have already gone through the process. I'll keep it short:

- In the packet, it says to list all previous employment dating back to the time you left school. I graduated college in December and started my current job in January. Does this mean I should only list my current employer or should I also list any work study jobs or summer employment I did when I was in school?

- For the CPAT orientation, is it mandatory to attend both sessions? I was a little confused by this because I have two sessions in one week. Would they allow you to attend the second session if you didn't show up for the first one?

- Also, what is the proper attire for the orientation? How "hands on" does it actually get?

I know most if not all of this has probably been addressed at one time or another on the forums, any advice/help would be much appreciated though. Good luck to everyone who has already gotten through the process and is headed for the academy.Thanks!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by claneshark View Post
    Is there any chance of another run taking place for additional candidates before this July class?

EDIT:

I should have said I don't think there will be additional runs done, I think there is enough surplus passing candidates to backfill. But you never know.
    Last edited by CalmB4Storm; 06-16-2008 at 10:09 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Great Day

So the first day of paperwork is over. It was not to bad as long as you paid attention and did what you were told. Those who had a problem with that got yelled at. For all of you who are out there who are close to 817 you may have a shot at getting in this class from what the LT said today. They said that I think 10 people did not show up for the run, after the run 16 people decided to either defer or decline the job offer and here is the big one 30 or 31 people decided not to show up today for processing. So they were supposed to have around 314 and now we are down to around 283. The LT said that they did processing 2 weeks before the start this time so they could back fill if needed. Not sure if they are going to leave the number at this or back fill Calm would know better.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things than to take rank with the poor timid spirits, who know neither victory nor defeat." FDR

Forum Member

edit: got an answer to my question
    Last edited by Irish6019; 06-17-2008 at 12:04 AM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ant195 View Post
    They said that I think 10 people did not show up for the run, after the run 16 people decided to either defer or decline the job offer and here is the big one 30 or 31 people decided not to show up today for processing.
    What the hell is that all about? That many people just not showing up? I'd have PAID for the opportunity to be in the first class, and people just don't show up? That ****es me off.
    6019 / #22--

Forum Member

Default background

Hey, Do they only send a letter to your employers, or do they call or ask for more pay stubs? thanks

MembersZone Subscriber

Two the guy two posts behind. Why should you get all worked up about people not showing up. This only helps your position. Granted it is not what you or I would have done, but nevertheless, it helps move the list along.

Now on to my questions.
    1) Will the FDNY pay for you to get a master's degree??

2) So bloomberg is out in december 2009 or whenever, what effect, if any, will this have on hiring policies. Granted, I understand that this is hard to answer without fully knowing candidates at this stage in the game.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Irish6019 View Post
    edit: got an answer to my question
    Irish, if you wouldnt mind, throw your answer up here. I was scratching my head over the same thing- I am looking forward to the low-maintenance haircut, myself- soap all around, screw shampoo!

When's that supposed to be done anyway? July 1, or prior to the appointment at the quartermaster?

Forum Member

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by hudsontj View Post
    Two the guy two posts behind. Why should you get all worked up about people not showing up. This only helps your position. Granted it is not what you or I would have done, but nevertheless, it helps move the list along.

Now on to my questions.
    1) Will the FDNY pay for you to get a master's degree??

2) So bloomberg is out in december 2009 or whenever, what effect, if any, will this have on hiring policies. Granted, I understand that this is hard to answer without fully knowing candidates at this stage in the game.

Dude you didn't even get hired, and you wanna know what the FDNY pays for? You sound like a "square rooter" to me. You should be wondering what you could do for the FDNY NOT what they pay for .... Wait untill "CalmB4" reads ur question. I'm sure he'll be more then happy to answer that question. Just let him know ur list number so he could "hook you up"

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by rdayson View Post
    What the hell is that all about? That many people just not showing up? I'd have PAID for the opportunity to be in the first class, and people just don't show up? That ****es me off.
    BTW I agree with the "square rooter" your over reacting.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by rdayson View Post
    Its not for everybody.

Forum Member

Default background

Hey, Do they only send a letter to your employers, or do they call or ask for more pay stubs? thanks

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Shanahan14

I am not really sure what you are asking but I will try and answer. In the beginning when you filled out your employment history the FDNY sends out a letter to each and every one of your employers and a letter to each one of your references. They are supposed to fill it out and send it back.
    If you are missing anything in your investigation packet they send you a letter telling you what you are missing along with an envelope to mail it back in.
    After that I did not hear from my investigator till around a month ago and she called me and said she needed an updated pay stub. Not sure if everyones did this but mine did.
    If you are close to 817 I would pick up the phone today and call your investigator and see what the deal is. Make sure all your ducks are in a row cause you may just get a call.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things than to take rank with the poor timid spirits, who know neither victory nor defeat." FDR

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy2times View Post
    Dude you didn't even get hired, and you wanna know what the FDNY pays for? You sound like a "square rooter" to me. You should be wondering what you could do for the FDNY NOT what they pay for .... Wait untill "CalmB4" reads ur question. I'm sure he'll be more then happy to answer that question. Just let him know ur list number so he could "hook you up"
    Dude, relax. The guy was just asking a simple question.

Thread Information