Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 560 of 618 FirstFirst ... 60460510550557558559560561562563570610 ... LastLast
Results 11,181 to 11,200 of 12347
Like Tree74Likes

Thread: Fdny List 6019

  1. #11181
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    186

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GIMMEFIRE600 View Post
    I'm not posting on the forum to argue nonsense with you about your hard work and character vs mine. You still didn't back up your argument as to why you deserve the same points as a life long resident.

    If I was you and was "willing to go the extra mile" and knew the city gives a new exam every four years (btw its been over four years since the last exam), I would've moved to the city a long time ago and not have waited for the announcement.

    I can tell you this much, I've had multiple opportunities to move out of nyc and haven't for one reason and one reason only.
    Guess what, if I'd known they were possibly going to make this requirement, I would have been there, no questions asked. There was no choice, all this information is new

    Back my argument? Its supposed to be fair chance for everyone who wants the job, You want the points move. I did The system is flawed not because of a predetermined time period but because the city doesn't require a thorough enough investigation. This job is about getting the best people for the job, someone could move to the city, get the points, and be better than someone who lives in the city. The residency points gives people that live outside the city a fair chance to do well and get hired.

    If they wanted to have a requirement for residency where candidates need to live in the city a year before a test announcement, it should be open knowledge, on the website; not leaving it weeks before a possible test announcement. That element of surprise is unfair and leaves candidates who could provide great services to the city, out in the cold


  2. #11182
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,216

    Default

    Do you have to be a resident to use military points? If so how will this affect that.

  3. #11183
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    92

    Default

    ***RUMOR ALERT***
    Just spoke to a chief. He told me the new test was knocked down due to discrimination and it could take another 3-6 months to approve another test.

    This is GREAT news for 6019....By the time they develope a new test and administer it the FD could be over 1000 under head count. This might force an appeal in our favor. Hopefully we do not have to wait for another test and justice will be done.

    6019 .... Lets Hope for the best..

  4. #11184
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,216

    Default

    I hope they still have this filing period.
    Last edited by BrooklynBorn; 06-05-2011 at 01:16 AM.

  5. #11185
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    92

    Default

    I HOPE THEY DO NOT ...the longer it takes to file for a new exam the better it is for us on 6019... We have to support our list... I pray my rumor is true

  6. #11186
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Bed-Stuy Brooklyn
    Posts
    220

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by QueensFFCAND View Post
    I HOPE THEY DO NOT ...the longer it takes to file for a new exam the better it is for us on 6019... We have to support our list... I pray my rumor is true
    Where is the like tab. 6019 standing strong.

  7. #11187
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    254

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by QueensFFCAND View Post
    ***RUMOR ALERT***
    Just spoke to a chief. He told me the new test was knocked down due to discrimination and it could take another 3-6 months to approve another test.

    This is GREAT news for 6019....By the time they develope a new test and administer it the FD could be over 1000 under head count. This might force an appeal in our favor. Hopefully we do not have to wait for another test and justice will be done.

    6019 .... Lets Hope for the best..
    Am laughing my a** off right now. If this is true, then this is absolutely ridiculous. This new exam hasn't even been approved yet and it's already being discriminated against. Wow, the City of New York and the FDNY need to get their act together. Makes me wonder why so many people want to work for them when they can't even resolve a discrimination issue. The City of New York and the FDNY are definitely behind the times. Alot of your big city departments are very diverse now a days.

  8. #11188
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    112

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nnfra200302 View Post
    Am laughing my a** off right now. If this is true, then this is absolutely ridiculous. This new exam hasn't even been approved yet and it's already being discriminated against. Wow, the City of New York and the FDNY need to get their act together. Makes me wonder why so many people want to work for them when they can't even resolve a discrimination issue. The City of New York and the FDNY are definitely behind the times. Alot of your big city departments are very diverse now a days.
    If it makes perfect sense and involves logical decision making the City of New York and the FDNY will be doing just the opposite. Thats how it always goes.

  9. #11189
    Forum Member SleepyHollow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Da Bronx
    Posts
    435

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by QueensFFCAND View Post
    ***RUMOR ALERT***
    Just spoke to a chief. He told me the new test was knocked down due to discrimination and it could take another 3-6 months to approve another test.

    This is GREAT news for 6019....By the time they develope a new test and administer it the FD could be over 1000 under head count. This might force an appeal in our favor. Hopefully we do not have to wait for another test and justice will be done.

    6019 .... Lets Hope for the best..
    If this is true, we will know next time we get court documents.

    Quote Originally Posted by JerkAlert View Post
    If it makes perfect sense and involves logical decision making the City of New York and the FDNY will be doing just the opposite. Thats how it always goes.
    Hahahahahahaha so true
    I should have cleaned up the chili.....why didn't I clean up the chili!!!!!!

  10. #11190
    Forum Member nyckftbl's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    On a Hill, overlooking George's Kingdom
    Posts
    2,575

    Default

    All you guys arguing over the residency points (especially those of you who seem to think you are more entitled to the job because you chose to stay in NYC) should probably do some research on why the residency points even exist.
    Proud East Coast Traditionalist.

  11. #11191
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    198

    Default

    If I recall correctly, there were no extra points for residency, until relatively recent history. Also, there was a scored physical agility test that was tougher than the CPAT. Both the written and physical scores were then averaged.

    Didn't something similar to this happen in the early to mid 80's with women suing the FDNY over the physical agility test?

    I believe several of the court documents, from the special master, indicate that there could be a delay in the design process of this new exam. This doesn't necessarily mean "discrimination." It could mean any number of things, including that one or more of the parties involved don't agree on the content of the exam.
    Last edited by Minerva; 01-11-2013 at 07:51 PM.

  12. #11192
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    51

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nnfra200302 View Post
    Am laughing my a** off right now. If this is true, then this is absolutely ridiculous. This new exam hasn't even been approved yet and it's already being discriminated against. Wow, the City of New York and the FDNY need to get their act together. Makes me wonder why so many people want to work for them when they can't even resolve a discrimination issue. The City of New York and the FDNY are definitely behind the times. Alot of your big city departments are very diverse now a days.

    See....the one part everybody forgets to mention when they talk about how allll the other big city departments are so diverse is that those departments either use oral interviews or the Chief has rule of the list. What those 2 things allow the departments to do is pick whoever they want and it allows them to get their quotas so that they won't run into problems with lawsuits and discrimination charges down the line. Not saying it's right, not at all, but unfortunately it seems like the Vulcans have FDNY by the shorts and I really can't see how you're ever going to please them until you just hand out a bunch of jobs to appease them. Until that day comes, wrong and awful as it may be, I think they will continue to try and screw with the process as much as they can so that good firefighter candidates get hosed. They're like children that don't get their way. But my original point is that as long as FDNY continues rank order hiring, you're always going to have candidates and groups not wanting to accept that they didn't do well, that they didn't cut it, they didn't study hard enough, or dedicate themselves enough etc. To me it's no different than in regular every day life, look how many people don't want to accept that someone else does better than them or has more than them......so they want big brother to step in and level the playing field to make everything "fair." It's a load of bull and people that think like that and are being fueled by the Vulcans, shouldn't be firefighters.

  13. #11193
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    485

    Default

    6019. 6019. 6019. 6019. 6019. 6019. 6019. 6019. 6019.
    Last edited by FairHiringFDNY; 08-08-2011 at 11:26 PM.

  14. #11194
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn NY
    Posts
    42

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HopefulFF View Post
    The whole reason for rEason for residency pts is to give people who are legit residents credit on the exam. Not give credit to ppl who are willing to become residents for the time frame required as proof on the exam. The whole point of this is to avoid giving points to the people you mention won't be able to get them now. So in that respect you're right, but that's the whole point. The old system was flawed, which is nothing against the ppl who legitimately moved here n got the points. They did what was required, not their fault it was flawed. If you're an honest resident you're not really worried about what criteria they're gonna pick bc youll be able to provide the proof. Just my 0.02.
    I completely agree. well said

  15. #11195
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,216

    Default

    Well said.
    Last edited by BrooklynBorn; 06-05-2011 at 07:48 PM.

  16. #11196
    Forum Member nyckftbl's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    On a Hill, overlooking George's Kingdom
    Posts
    2,575

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Takethedoor174 View Post
    I completely agree. well said
    Except for the fact that the first sentence is wrong, sure.
    Proud East Coast Traditionalist.

  17. #11197
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,051

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    Except for the fact that the first sentence is wrong, sure.
    Regardless of how or why the FDNY decided to do what every other department does (whether it's points on an exam, or preference at oral board time) and give credit to their residents the idea behind the points is not for people to find loopholes in a poorly constructed process and exploit them.

  18. #11198
    Forum Member nyckftbl's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    On a Hill, overlooking George's Kingdom
    Posts
    2,575

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HopefulFF View Post
    Regardless of how or why the FDNY decided to do what every other department does (whether it's points on an exam, or preference at oral board time) and give credit to their residents the idea behind the points is not for people to find loopholes in a poorly constructed process and exploit them.
    1. Complaining about people abusing a loophole != residents deserve the job more. If that were true, we'd all have to live in the sh*thole after we got hired, right?

    2. If you are against minority preferenced hiring, its mighty hypocritical to be for something that was created specifically to get more minorities hired only because it may help you out too.

    3. There are plenty of depts that dont give large preference (or even any preference at all) to residents of the testing dept.
    Proud East Coast Traditionalist.

  19. #11199
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,051

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    1. Complaining about people abusing a loophole != residents deserve the job more. If that were true, we'd all have to live in the sh*thole after we got hired, right?

    2. If you are against minority preferenced hiring, its mighty hypocritical to be for something that was created specifically to get more minorities hired only because it may help you out too.

    3. There are plenty of depts that dont give large preference (or even any preference at all) to residents of the testing dept.

    1. I've never complained about the test takers who used a loophole. In fact I stated the exact opposite of that in the post of mine that was quoted. It's awesome to hear you consider our city a "sh*thole" though.

    2. Again, as I've stated already, I'm for the residency credits because when I test else where I am put at a disadvantage because I am not a resident of that city. I fully understand that and have never complained about that either. Also, anyone who claimed residency is now for racial preferenced hiring? That's an odd way to get from point A to point B.

    3. I've yet to find one department that at some point doesn't mention residency. Maybe there are some out there, but the large majority factor it in.

  20. #11200
    Forum Member nyckftbl's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    On a Hill, overlooking George's Kingdom
    Posts
    2,575

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HopefulFF View Post
    1. I've never complained about the test takers who used a loophole. In fact I stated the exact opposite of that in the post of mine that was quoted. It's awesome to hear you consider our city a "sh*thole" though.

    It is a sh*thole. Regardless, it was more tongue in cheek over the thought that NYC wants those who know the city already....there are plenty of people who dont work anywhere near where they live....and you would have a very hard time filling a lot of busier firehouses in the city if you took it one step further and forced us to live in the neighborhood. Talk about taking a 100 year step back. And "our city"? Explain to me why you deserve an advantage getting hired over someone who scored higher than you, simply because your parents didnt move your *** to the suburbs? Isnt that awfully similar to "We should get an advantage because we are black"?


    2. Again, as I've stated already, I'm for the residency credits because when I test else where I am put at a disadvantage because I am not a resident of that city. I fully understand that and have never complained about that either. Also, anyone who claimed residency is now for racial preferenced hiring? That's an odd way to get from point A to point B.

    Im not claiming residency is now for racial preference, Im saying thats why its been there. its nothing new, and not much of a secret.
    Also, how does you not being a city resident put you at a disadvantage? Thats the same BS argument as the Vulcans use when they claim white suburban kids have an advantage because they have family on the job. Its a test written at a 9th grade level, and a (now) completely BS physical exam. There are no advantages no matter where you live.

    3. I've yet to find one department that at some point doesn't mention residency. Maybe there are some out there, but the large majority factor it in.
    The hypocrisy is mind numbing.
    Proud East Coast Traditionalist.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. FDNY Test 6019-Union Square Protest
    By exp1isastreet in forum The Off Duty Forums
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 01-26-2010, 10:31 PM
  2. List #6019
    By ffbam24 in forum Hiring & Employment Discussion
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 03-30-2008, 08:59 PM
  3. FDNY List #6019
    By MailBox123 in forum Hiring & Employment Discussion
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-22-2007, 06:54 PM
  4. FDNY Exam #6019????
    By HouyBoy in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-11-2007, 10:50 AM
  5. FDNY Exam #6019-John Jay College Forum
    By exp1isastreet in forum The Off Duty Forums
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-22-2007, 03:11 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts