Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 561 of 618 FirstFirst ... 61461511551558559560561562563564571611 ... LastLast
Results 11,201 to 11,220 of 12347
Like Tree74Likes

Thread: Fdny List 6019

Forum Member

I can't speak for anyone else, but I was at a disadvantage once because flat out there were points given to residents, and I was not a resident. Another time it was made very clear at the oral board stage the city was giving preferential treatment to residents. It even said so on the exam annoucement. I didn't **** and moan I was given a raw deal, they wanted people who were from their cities. Not someone who cared more about the job than the city, which admittedly was the case for me.

Quote Originally Posted by HopefulFF View Post
    I can't speak for anyone else, but I was at a disadvantage once because flat out there were points given to residents, and I was not a resident. Another time it was made very clear at the oral board stage the city was giving preferential treatment to residents. It even said so on the exam annoucement. I didn't **** and moan I was given a raw deal, they wanted people who were from their cities. Not someone who cared more about the job than the city, which admittedly was the case for me.
    What in Gods name are you talking about? There are no oral boards.

You are willing to screw others who deserve the job just as much as you because you are angry at other cities? That is completely bass ackwards.
    Last edited by nyckftbl; 06-05-2011 at 08:57 PM.
    Proud East Coast Traditionalist.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    What in Gods name are you talking about? There are no oral boards.

You are willing to screw others who deserve the job just as much as you because you are angry at other cities? That is completely bass ackwards.
    Clearly you don't even bother reading what you, or I wrote. YOU asked when I was at a disadvantage in the past. Not sure where in any of my posts I came off as angry. Maybe it was when I alluded to the fact I wasn't angry? That could be it. Anyways, I'm not here to argue with you, or prove something to you. I'm sure the other guys here don't wanna be bothered reading this either.

Quote Originally Posted by HopefulFF View Post
    Clearly you don't even bother reading what you, or I wrote. YOU asked when I was at a disadvantage in the past. Not sure where in any of my posts I came off as angry. Maybe it was when I alluded to the fact I wasn't angry? That could be it. Anyways, I'm not here to argue with you, or prove something to you. I'm sure the other guys here don't wanna be bothered reading this either.

I didnt ask where you were at a disadvantage in the past, I asked why others deserve to be at a disadvantage now. If other cities have screwed you, why turn that around and screw others who may live outside of NYC? Explain to me why you, as a NYC resident, deserve more points than someone outside of the city. So far, all youve given me is "other cities do it too".

Frankly, I dont care if others here dont want to be bothered. I will call out hypocrisy where I see it, especially when it comes to my job.

Forum Member

What year did they begin giving the residency credit? I spoke with a few members today who were hired in the 1980's. They indicated there was no additional points on their exam.

On another note, for anyone interested, rallies upcoming to save firehouses (per UFA website).

L-104 (161 South 2nd Street, Brooklyn) June 7 5:30pm

E-60 (341 East 143 Street, Bronx) June 12, 12pm

E-328 (16-19 Central Ave Queens) June 13 at 10am (It looks like the date may change though)

L-53 Lido Catering Hall on City Island (101 City Island Ave. Bronx) [B]June 14,
    Last edited by Minerva; 01-11-2013 at 07:45 PM.

Forum Member

Explain to me why you, as a NYC resident, deserve more points than someone outside of the city. So far, all youve given me is "other cities do it too".
    The argument can be made that one that lives in the city will more than likely spend that money, keeping that money in the NYC economy, as compared to someone that may live in LI or Westchester.

Quote Originally Posted by TomFromQueens View Post
    The argument can be made that one that lives in the city will more than likely spend that money, keeping that money in the NYC economy, as compared to someone that may live in LI or Westchester.
    If we were required to live in nyc after being hired, that argument might hold water.

Forum Member

I didnt ask where you were at a disadvantage in the past, I asked why others deserve to be at a disadvantage now. If other cities have screwed you, why turn that around and screw others who may live outside of NYC? Explain to me why you, as a NYC resident, deserve more points than someone outside of the city. So far, all youve given me is "other cities do it too".

Frankly, I dont care if others here dont want to be bothered. I will call out hypocrisy where I see it, especially when it comes to my job.

Ok, ok we get it. You are against residency points, while some people living in the city are for them. Next argument please.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by QueensFFCAND View Post
    ***RUMOR ALERT***
    Just spoke to a chief. He told me the new test was knocked down due to discrimination and it could take another 3-6 months to approve another test.

This is GREAT news for 6019....By the time they develope a new test and administer it the FD could be over 1000 under head count. This might force an appeal in our favor. Hopefully we do not have to wait for another test and justice will be done.

6019 .... Lets Hope for the best..
    Hey Man,,,,, when did you hear this??? do you think that this is true at all?> It could be huge for us in getting our class in.... I could see them not coming to an agreement on a new test bc all of this is just total BS.

Quote Originally Posted by LongCut View Post
    Ok, ok we get it. You are against residency points, while some people living in the city are for them. Next argument please.
    What im for or against doesnt matter. Unless youve suddenly become a moderator, put me on ignore or skip my posts. If you'd like, ill comment on the hiring rumors, word here isnt much different than what you guys hear.

Forum Member

if they do push back the filing date back and the fdny has to hire can they hire in rank order or will it have to succumb to a bs hiring system?

Forum Member

"Hey Mav, you still got the number to that truck driving school?"

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by myles8683 View Post
    if they do push back the filing date back and the fdny has to hire can they hire in rank order or will it have to succumb to a bs hiring system?
    I THINK, not sure, that an appeal needs to happen before they can hire off that list.
    I would Also imagine that when they decided to make this test, they anticipated that it would not be smoothly approved right away, by these unreasonable people

Forum Member

Thumbs up Knock them all down....

Quote Originally Posted by QueensFFCAND View Post
    ***RUMOR ALERT***
    Just spoke to a chief. He told me the new test was knocked down due to discrimination and it could take another 3-6 months to approve another test.

This is GREAT news for 6019....By the time they develope a new test and administer it the FD could be over 1000 under head count. This might force an appeal in our favor. Hopefully we do not have to wait for another test and justice will be done.

6019 .... Lets Hope for the best..
    I pray this is legit. The only people that want this NEXT exam to be rushed are people that didn't get screwed over on 6019. There are a few people (Who I'm "not" mad at) on this forum that if they had kicked there Physicals ***, Kick there medicals ***, Passed there Psychological exam and Deep background check all after scoring at the top of a list of THOUSANDS, The last thing on there mind would be a dam July filing period. NOTHING needs to MOVE until this wrong has been CORECTED. You don't see 6019 members wishing for a disaster so there would be a heavy need to hire now. You can't cut the persons throat in front of you so you can live your dream. Were all men + women. Not P.O.S
    FDNY Canidate - 6019

Their (possessive)
    There (descriptive location)

Meanwhile, I've heard nothing of that "rumor" yet. However, the current speculation is that a list of names is being forwarded to take a practice test. To where I have no idea.

Quote Originally Posted by ffbam24 View Post
    Their (possessive)
    There (descriptive location)

Meanwhile, I've heard nothing of that "rumor" yet. However, the current speculation is that a list of names is being forwarded to take a practice test. To where I have no idea.
    There was a practice test a few months ago too, so if there is another practice test, the rumor might be true.

Forum Member

Since the person above mentioned the extensive background check, I was hoping someone could answer a question or two about it. Is it exactly the same as the nypd investigation? Is having no criminal record enough? I would like to pm some one if they are willing to answer a few questions.

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBorn View Post
    Since the person above mentioned the extensive background check, I was hoping someone could answer a question or two about it. Is it exactly the same as the nypd investigation? Is having no criminal record enough? I would like to pm some one if they are willing to answer a few questions.
    As long as you havent been in trouble you are probably safe, but it goes further than criminal records. Traffic tickets, accidents, other minor stuff has come up, but didnt cost anyone their job afaik.

Forum Member

Does anyone know how the turnouts have been at the rallies to save the houses on the block? From what I've been able to find it seems to be generally positive but there hasn't been much info out there on them. Besides safty reasons that's going to play a huge factor for everyone waiting to get on.

Forum Member

Default NY Post Article

Eyeing new FDNY test
    By MITCHEL MADDUX

Last Updated: 3:50 AM, June 7, 2011

Posted: 12:56 AM, June 7, 2011

A Brooklyn federal judge said yesterday he may appoint a referee to weigh claims of "potentially thousands" of black and Hispanic FDNY applicants who say they never got a fair shot because the entrance exam discriminated against minorities.

The "special master" would have the power to award back pay and grant priority hiring and seniority privileges to the would-be firefighters.

That would settle one element of a lawsuit filed in 2002 by the Vulcan Society, a fraternal organization of black firefighters.

Each applicant would have a hearing under the proposal by Judge Nicholas Garaufis, a move that could further delay the long-running legal dispute.

The second element, the fairness of the test itself, will be considered by Garaufis in a nonjury trial beginning Aug 1.

Last October, Garaufis barred the city from hiring new firefighters, saying the test discriminated against blacks and Hispanics.

The city is currently creating a new firefighter test that could be ready by December. Meanwhile, hiring continues to remain on hold.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/b...#ixzz1OaUbXoXq

Thread Information