Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 562 of 618 FirstFirst ... 62462512552559560561562563564565572612 ... LastLast
Results 11,221 to 11,240 of 12347
Like Tree74Likes

Thread: Fdny List 6019

  1. #11221
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    474

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GIMMEFIRE600 View Post
    Eyeing new FDNY test
    By MITCHEL MADDUX

    Last Updated: 3:50 AM, June 7, 2011

    Posted: 12:56 AM, June 7, 2011

    A Brooklyn federal judge said yesterday he may appoint a referee to weigh claims of "potentially thousands" of black and Hispanic FDNY applicants who say they never got a fair shot because the entrance exam discriminated against minorities.

    The "special master" would have the power to award back pay and grant priority hiring and seniority privileges to the would-be firefighters.

    That would settle one element of a lawsuit filed in 2002 by the Vulcan Society, a fraternal organization of black firefighters.

    Each applicant would have a hearing under the proposal by Judge Nicholas Garaufis, a move that could further delay the long-running legal dispute.

    The second element, the fairness of the test itself, will be considered by Garaufis in a nonjury trial beginning Aug 1.

    Last October, Garaufis barred the city from hiring new firefighters, saying the test discriminated against blacks and Hispanics.

    The city is currently creating a new firefighter test that could be ready by December. Meanwhile, hiring continues to remain on hold.



    Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/b...#ixzz1OaUbXoXq
    its a sick world we live in


  2. #11222
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    485

    Default

    6019. 6019. 6019. 6019. 6019. 6019. 6019. 6019. 6019.
    Last edited by FairHiringFDNY; 08-08-2011 at 11:26 PM.

  3. #11223
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    186

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by myles8683 View Post
    its a sick world we live in
    it just never ends...

  4. #11224
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    326

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MerritMatters View Post
    it just never ends...
    I guess more people will have to die for this chump to realize he's putting this city at risk. ****ing assssshole!
    6019- was sitting at 13xx
    2000- now sitting at 18xx

  5. #11225
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    485

    Default

    6019. 6019. 6019. 6019. 6019. 6019.
    Last edited by FairHiringFDNY; 08-08-2011 at 11:26 PM.

  6. #11226
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    283

    Default

    When can the city appeal the ruling. If this is the final ruling then can't the city start to appeal to the circut courts?

  7. #11227
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,223

    Default

    I'm confused, what's happening now that's different then before? I thought we knew all this?
    Last edited by BrooklynBorn; 06-07-2011 at 02:10 PM.

  8. #11228
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    186

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBorn View Post
    I'm confused, what's happening now that's different then before? I thought we knew all this?
    I believe originally we were waiting for a final ruling but according to that article, the process will be delay put the appeal further on the back burner.

  9. #11229
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    43

    Default

    How does one man have so much power? There has to be some way that things can be sped up. I just can't believe how one man can be more powerful than the Fire commissioner, the city, and the Mayor. There's gotta be a loophole somewhere because I can't fathom how a lower court can do this. How long did the Connecticut FF case stay in a low court before appeal? How about the NFL? If the NFL ended tomorrow forever there would be no significant impact anywhere because it's just a game yet the FD can just rot from people outside of it. I'll tell ya boy liberals make me sick to my stomach, first they try to mess with the military with social engineering (the one and only effective govt organization) and now this. Something's gotta give sooner or later because people can't take this anymore

  10. #11230
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    506

    Default

    Judge Says Appointee Should Handle FDNY Claims Process Following Discrimination Suit
    Tuesday, June 07, 2011 - 02:39 PM

    By Annmarie Fertoli : Assistant Producer, WNYC/WQXR News


    A federal judge who deemed the FDNY's entrance exam discriminatory has issued new orders to guide a claims process that could provide compensation for thousands of candidates who say they didn't get the job due to an unfair test.

    In a court order and memorandum issued Monday, Brooklyn Judge Nicholas Garaufis recommended appointing a "special master" to oversee the individual claims process, adding in his order that it's "the most appropriate mechanism for the speedy resolution of these individual questions."

    Garaufis will make a final decision on whether to appoint a special master, after discussing the issue with both parties in the case.

    Darius Charney, who represents the Vulcan Society — the group that originally filed the discrimination suit — called the proposal a fair one, and said it's important to have a neutral, third party involved.

    "Our major concern is that the process be transparent, that it be fair, and that you know every applicant has the same opportunity to prove that in fact they were eligible to be hired, except for the fact that the test was discriminatory," said Charney, who noted the compensation amounts could be in the tens of millions of dollars.

    Meanwhile, the city is working with Charney's group and others to write a new entrance exam that will allow it to hire new firefighters.

    "We are currently developing the next exam and expect to announce the registration period around the beginning of July, with the exam to be administered around December," said Georgia Pestana, chief of the Labor and Employment Division at the city's law department.

    She said the city doesn't "have any information on how a referee might work beyond what's in the decision."

    The city has rejected previous hiring proposals suggested by the judge back in September — claiming the proposed methods all rely on "race-based quota" options. Without a new test, the city has been unable to hire additional firefighters.

  11. #11231
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,223

    Default

    "Our major concern is that the process be transparent, that it be fair, and that you know every applicant has the same opportunity to prove that in fact they were eligible to be hired, except for the fact that the test was discriminatory," said Charney, who noted the compensation amounts could be in the tens of millions of dollars.

    The same argument could be made for the white applicants who took the test but didnt score well enough to get hired.
    Last edited by BrooklynBorn; 06-07-2011 at 05:12 PM.

  12. #11232
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    474

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MerritMatters View Post
    I believe originally we were waiting for a final ruling but according to that article, the process will be delay put the appeal further on the back burner.
    yea iam starting to think its a bad thing for 6019. this sucks

  13. #11233
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    533

    Default

    Darius Charney, who represents the Vulcan Society — the group that originally filed the discrimination suit — called the proposal a fair one, and said it's important to have a neutral, third party involved.



    Wow, that is friggin hilarious. The idea that ANYONE this judge appoints would be neutral is utterly absurd. There is no chance of fair negotiations as long as this clown is the one assigning "special masters" and "referees".

  14. #11234
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    485

    Default

    [6019. 6019. 6019. 6019. 6019. 6019. 6019. 6019. 6019.
    Last edited by FairHiringFDNY; 08-08-2011 at 11:25 PM.

  15. #11235
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    62

    Default

    Just read the court docs. http://youtu.be/Db2A9MM-VNw

    gotta release the steam going for a run .

  16. #11236
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,223

    Default

    I was curious if any one saw that the vulcans have a documentery. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkUgm...e_gdata_player
    Last edited by BrooklynBorn; 06-07-2011 at 10:03 PM.

  17. #11237
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,051

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBorn View Post
    I was curious if any one saw that the vulcans have a documentery. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkUgm...e_gdata_player
    "how you say it's racist? you feel it in your gut".


    Well that settles that then.

  18. #11238
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn NY
    Posts
    42

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    Explain to me why you, as a NYC resident, deserve more points than someone outside of the city. So far, all youve given me is "other cities do it too".
    Regardless of the reason the residency credit was originally implemented I think NYC residents DO deserve the job more! We live here it's our home and we want to protect it. Relax It's human nature and it's my opinion. It's only natural for people to feel that way. I'm sure people in towns outside the city would feel the same if they had thousands of guys were trying to take away jobs in their little town. Why should someone from out of town come and take jobs away from those that live here? And don't give me the "We want the most qualified candidates no matter where they are from crap." Spoken like a a true out of towner. I have nothing against guys from out of town getting on the job I just think those who live here should have preference and the residency credit, though highly flawed helps. There are more than enough people that would be great firefighters here in the city. Aside from the physical, which you have to pass anyway to be considered, the written is BS and doesn't prove who would be a good firefighter or not. Getting one or 2 questions right doesn't mean s*** on the fire floor. It's a job you learn in the field and that's all I'll say on the subject. We can agree to disagree.
    Last edited by Takethedoor174; 06-07-2011 at 10:19 PM.

  19. #11239
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JerkAlert View Post
    "Hey Mav, you still got the number to that truck driving school?"
    Funny yesterday... even more applicable today.

  20. #11240
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn NY
    Posts
    42

    Default INfo from Chief of Operations

    On a lighter note. I went for my annual medical this week and the chief of operations, chief Sweeney spoke to us for about an hour. As far as proby's go he said that he expects the filing date for the new test to be nov or dec with the test being administered sometime next spring. Not set in stone just what we heard from a 4 star chief.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. FDNY Test 6019-Union Square Protest
    By exp1isastreet in forum The Off Duty Forums
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 01-26-2010, 10:31 PM
  2. List #6019
    By ffbam24 in forum Hiring & Employment Discussion
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 03-30-2008, 08:59 PM
  3. FDNY List #6019
    By MailBox123 in forum Hiring & Employment Discussion
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-22-2007, 06:54 PM
  4. FDNY Exam #6019????
    By HouyBoy in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-11-2007, 10:50 AM
  5. FDNY Exam #6019-John Jay College Forum
    By exp1isastreet in forum The Off Duty Forums
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-22-2007, 03:11 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts