Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 563 of 618 FirstFirst ... 63463513553560561562563564565566573613 ... LastLast
Results 11,241 to 11,260 of 12347
Like Tree74Likes

Thread: Fdny List 6019

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Takethedoor174 View Post
    Regardless of the reason the residency credit was originally implemented I think NYC residents DO deserve the job more! We live here it's our home and we want to protect it. Relax It's human nature and it's my opinion. It's only natural for people to feel that way. I'm sure people in towns outside the city would feel the same if they had thousands of guys were trying to take away jobs in their little town. Why should someone from out of town come and take jobs away from those that live here? And don't give me the "We want the most qualified candidates no matter where they are from crap." Spoken like a a true out of towner. There are more than enough people that would be great firefighters here in the city. Aside from the physical, which you have to pass anyway to be considered, the written is BS and doesn't prove who would be a good firefighter or not. Getting one or 2 questions right doesn't mean s*** on the fire floor. It's a job you learn in the field and that's all I'll say on the subject. We can agree to disagree.
    Agreed! Well said.

On a lighter note. I went for my annual medical this week and the chief of operations, chief Sweeney spoke to us for about an hour. As far as proby's go he said that he expects the filing date for the new test to be nov or dec with the test being administered sometime next spring. Not set in stone just what we heard from a 4 star chief.
    That sounds more realistic. Wouldn't surprise me if it even went beyond those dates.
    Last edited by GIMMEFIRE600; 06-07-2011 at 10:23 PM.

Forum Member

Just a reminder, today the city council began budget negotiations with the mayor. It is imperative that we all send letters to the council denouncing closings on a daily basis until the matter has been resolved. This will play a huge roll in the future of 6019. If the closures fall through there will be immense pressure to hire and our story will be making headlines once again. Hopefully bringing about some sort of resolution. Send those letters and make some phone calls.

Forum Member

On a lighter note. I went for my annual medical this week and the chief of operations, chief Sweeney spoke to us for about an hour. As far as proby's go he said that he expects the filing date for the new test to be nov or dec with the test being administered sometime next spring. Not set in stone just what we heard from a 4 star chief.
    If it's true, that sucks. I was counting down the days till June. I'm hoping he's wrong.
    Last edited by BrooklynBorn; 06-07-2011 at 11:09 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBorn View Post
    If it's true, that sucks. I was counting down the days till June. I'm hoping he's wrong.
    If its true thats great. I'm hoping he's right!

There's no need for a new test.

Forum Member

The new court document that came out today still indicated December for testing. But, it could very well be delayed until June or longer.

Also, after reading the latest court document, it seems that 6019 is going to be stuck in court for quite some time. I'd love to see the city and 6019 come out on top, in say a year, but I just don't see that happening that quickly. Although it's not entirely the same, New Haven's case took five years.

Overall, I don't think the debate was just about whether City residents should get preference over those who are not. For me, it's been about how to determine who is a city resident. Using the HS diploma as the gold standard is questionable at best. No one here was able to chose where they were born, where they grew up or where they went to high school. Their parents made that decision. Some people who grew up in the City have indicated their parents sent them to private school outside of the City. What about a person who's father was on the job, but chose to move his family out to Long Island or Upstate, went to school there, then moved back here when he or she could make that decision? What about someone like me who grew up in the Adirondack region, where there are few or no paid fire departments? Should those people be punished for that? Should I? That's the issue.

Now, a lot of places do give preference to their residents. Albany, Rochester, Syracuse, Boston, Worcester are examples (Buffalo, you can't even take the exam, unless you're a resident). That in itself, is reasonable. However, there are other ways, outside of a high school diploma. The resolution that the council passed listed several other forms of proof, that can be used to determine the validity of a person's residency. Those documents are much more difficulty to fake, especially for a 12 month period preceding the exam. The one factor that should also be added: a visit to the claimed residence. Other departments do this. Investigators visit you and even may talk to neighbors. It's pretty effective. These factors are used effectively in other Cities. It would work just as well here to eliminate cheating.
    Last edited by Minerva; 01-11-2013 at 07:26 PM.

Forum Member

Regardless of the reason the residency credit was originally implemented I think NYC residents DO deserve the job more! We live here it's our home and we want to protect it. Relax It's human nature and it's my opinion. It's only natural for people to feel that way. I'm sure people in towns outside the city would feel the same if they had thousands of guys were trying to take away jobs in their little town. Why should someone from out of town come and take jobs away from those that live here? And don't give me the "We want the most qualified candidates no matter where they are from crap." Spoken like a a true out of towner. I have nothing against guys from out of town getting on the job I just think those who live here should have preference and the residency credit, though highly flawed helps. There are more than enough people that would be great firefighters here in the city. Aside from the physical, which you have to pass anyway to be considered, the written is BS and doesn't prove who would be a good firefighter or not. Getting one or 2 questions right doesn't mean s*** on the fire floor. It's a job you learn in the field and that's all I'll say on the subject. We can agree to disagree.
    Your logic is flawed and I pray the residents of New York City want the most intelligent people on the job. No, not every test is the greatest measurement of an applicant's ability to perform well in a specific job but most do measure intelligence and the underlying ability to learn. So you're saying,you'd give a job to someone while considerding georgraphical preference over intelligence?

The residency credit gives 5 points to residents. So hypothetically, even if you, a non-resident, score a 95 and I, a resident, score a 93, I get the higher list number even though you're smarter.

In this country, a degree from an acredited university is the highest form of recognized intelligence. Most students attend university in their state as in-state residents. http://www.insidecollege.com/reno/Pe...es/360/list.do Massachessets' Harvard was ranked the top university in the country. http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandre...l-universities New York doesnt produce a ranking university above top twenty. So, barring any conspiracy theories about the rankings, Harvard is better than the universities in New York. Now remembering that the universities rarely possess out-of-state residents and a university level degree is the greatest measurement of intelligence, you are advocating not hiring the most intelligent people for the job by saying there should be a New York residency credit. Living somewhere makes you no more apt for the job than not-living somewhere so why give preference to either one.

Taking jobs from locals is nothing new. It's done in my town and I wont be the homeless person to break the cycle; to let everyone have a job but me. There are no jobs in my town so I will take my diploma and come compete with you for yours. Encouraging otherwise is speaking like someone with a job.

Besides, many like me are planning to move to the city to take advantage of the credit anyway. So, if I move to town a day before the test, how does that make me any more apt for the job than a 28-year resident?

Forum Member

This recidency stuff shouldn't even be a debate. The city WILL award residency points somehow and non-residents should be happy you even stand a chance of getting hired. Many non-residents with no bonus points still have been hired.

Any non-resident of Boston thats taken the Boston FD exam knows what I'm talking about.

Regardless of the reason the residency credit was originally implemented I think NYC residents DO deserve the job more! We live here it's our home and we want to protect it. Relax It's human nature and it's my opinion. It's only natural for people to feel that way. I'm sure people in towns outside the city would feel the same if they had thousands of guys were trying to take away jobs in their little town. Why should someone from out of town come and take jobs away from those that live here? And don't give me the "We want the most qualified candidates no matter where they are from crap." Spoken like a a true out of towner. I have nothing against guys from out of town getting on the job I just think those who live here should have preference and the residency credit, though highly flawed helps. There are more than enough people that would be great firefighters here in the city. Aside from the physical, which you have to pass anyway to be considered, the written is BS and doesn't prove who would be a good firefighter or not. Getting one or 2 questions right doesn't mean s*** on the fire floor. It's a job you learn in the field and that's all I'll say on the subject. We can agree to disagree.
    LOL. ok. youre right. what do I know.
    Last edited by nyckftbl; 06-08-2011 at 09:28 AM.
    Proud East Coast Traditionalist.

Quote Originally Posted by GIMMEFIRE600 View Post
    This recidency stuff shouldn't even be a debate. The city WILL award residency points somehow and non-residents should be happy you even stand a chance of getting hired. Many non-residents with no bonus points still have been hired.

Any non-resident of Boston thats taken the Boston FD exam knows what I'm talking about.
    Good thinking. You white people hoping to get on should just be happy you even have a chance after the hiring of all the minorities too, right?

Forum Member

Unhappy

There was also a rumor floating around that chiefs from fire told the chiefs at the EMS acad. to prepare two large classes this summer because they are gonna be taking a large number of EMS guys come September.....all these rumors make my head spin. I really had high hopes for this year and they are slowly fading. I wanted this to be my last summer sweating my balls off in the projects.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JerkAlert View Post
    There was also a rumor floating around that chiefs from fire told the chiefs at the EMS acad. to prepare two large classes this summer because they are gonna be taking a large number of EMS guys come September.....all these rumors make my head spin. I really had high hopes for this year and they are slowly fading. I wanted this to be my last summer sweating my balls off in the projects.
    yea i thought we may get the chance to sweat our balls off on randall's island, now we just have to keep our hopes up for the summer of 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by MerritMatters View Post
    yea i thought we may get the chance to sweat our balls off on randall's island, now we just have to keep our hopes up for the summer of 2013.
    Hope for a winter class, not a summer one. smells too bad during the summer.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    Hope for a winter class, not a summer one. smells too bad during the summer.
    haha, ill take what i can get!

Forum Member

baby powder must be really popular during the summer classes. Be careful though, I had a buddy who used so much of it his dr told him he was getting a lung infection from inhaling the powder...still rag on him about that.

Quote Originally Posted by HopefulFF View Post
    baby powder must be really popular during the summer classes. Be careful though, I had a buddy who used so much of it his dr told him he was getting a lung infection from inhaling the powder...still rag on him about that.
    the problem with the powder is that it can cake up if you arent dry to begin with. Not to mention, if youve already chafed, the medicated stuff will feel like someone is operating a blowtorch between your legs.

They are expensive as hell, but under armour underwear was my savior in the academy (and I was lucky enough to go in the winter).

Forum Member

Good thinking. You white people hoping to get on should just be happy you even have a chance after the hiring of all the minorities too, right?
    Lol, but I'd love to see a white guy turn the job down if there ever is quota hiring.

Forum Member

the problem with the powder is that it can cake up if you arent dry to begin with. Not to mention, if youve already chafed, the medicated stuff will feel like someone is operating a blowtorch between your legs.

They are expensive as hell, but under armour underwear was my savior in the academy (and I was lucky enough to go in the winter).
    I'm going to keep that in mind.

Never thought I'd pray for some good ole chaffing.

Forum Member

My friend told me the other day that the name for your inner thighs rubbing together is CHUB RUB, lol.

Forum Member

Thumbs down Stop the Dept of Social Justice. NOBAMA

Anyone out there have a chance to get a look at the most recent court BS.

What a disgrace to all the qualified candidates off #6019. Support rank order

hiring off #6019.

Stay safe.

Forum Member

Guys forget baby powder! This is 2011! We keep this stuff in the glove box on our truck....Check out FRESH BALLS!

http://www.sofreshsodry.com/products/fresh-balls/

Thread Information