Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 565 of 618 FirstFirst ... 65465515555562563564565566567568575615 ... LastLast
Results 11,281 to 11,300 of 12347
Like Tree74Likes

Thread: Fdny List 6019

Forum Member

Default Good news

I know this whole situation sucks and regardless of where we stand with our opinions on current and proposed issues that affect our dreams of a career with the FDNY we are all united by the fact that our end goal is to become part of the brotherhood. The opportunity to even aspire to take the test to become a part of that was achieved by the sacrifice of the men and women who dedicated their lives past and present to protecting this country with their own blood. Those of us who have never been a part of our armed forces can never claim to understand the sacrifices they made and this couldn't be anymore true than with Brendan Marrocco. His sacrifice has taught me that ultimately no matter how much this all may suck or how bad things may get they can always get worse. Everytime I forget that I just look at my wrist(those that volunteered know what I'm referring to) and I push that much harder to reach that goal. He is a true hero and that hero finally has a place of his own to call home. Thanks to him and all of you that have served and are serving. I can't wait to see you all at the Rock.

Handicapped hero gets new state-of-the-art home after losing limbs in army
    BY HENRICK KAROLISZYN AND CHRISTINA BOYLE
    DAILY NEWS WRITERS
    Sunday, June 12th 2011, 4:00 AM

Two years*after losing all four limbs in a bomb explosion in Iraq, a Staten Island soldier was finally given the keys to his new, state-of-the-art home yesterday.
    And he could not stop smiling.
    Brendan Marrocco beamed with pride as he crossed the threshold into his new abode in Prince's Bay, which has been tailor-made to suit his every need.
    "It's very overwhelming. The house is amazing," the 24-year-old said.
    "I can finally just try to live my life like everybody else. I really appreciate this."
    Marrocco was behind the wheel of an armored vehicle on Easter Sunday 2009 when a roadside bomb went off underneath him.
    Just 22 years old at the time, he became the first Iraq and Afghanistan veteran to become a quadruple-amputee from combat and survive.
    The battle back to health and independence has been long for Marrocco, who has spent the past two years at Walter Reed Army Medical Center.
    Shortly after he was injured, his brother gave up his high-paying job at Citigroup to move into the rehab facility with him, and his parents rarely left his side.
    Marrocco said finally having a home to call his own felt "unreal" yesterday, and his first priority once the crowds of well-wishers subsided was to kick back and relax with a beer.
    "Finally, I can leave the hospital institution and go back to life," he said. "It's been a long time since I lived in Staten Island. I'm very grateful."
    Marrocco's high-tech 3,000-square-foot digs are worth about $900,000 and took 10months to build.
    It was specially crafted using donations from the Stephen Siller Tunnel to Towers Foundation and Building Homes for Heroes.
    The house is equipped with an elevator, a handicapped-accessible entrance, interior and exterior heated floors, and remotely controlled kitchen cabinets and appliances that can be controlled using an iPad.
    Marrocco will sleep on a custom-made lowered bed, and there are sensor lights throughout the home and a Jacuzzi.
    "It's an indescribable feeling," his father, Alex Marrocco, 54, said as he watched his son check out his new home.
    "It's been a hell of a journey, but knowing that he has this house is just incredible. I feel a rush of emotions."
    The section of the house that gives the young NASCAR enthusiast the most joy is the three-car garage for his Dodge Charger SRT, which he hopes to be able to drive one day with prosthetics.
    "I can't wait until that time comes," Marrocco said. "One of the first things I asked about was the garage.
    "I don't think things could be going better in my situation," he added.
    cboyle@nydailynews.com

Forum Member

Hopefully this is a step towards saving all 20 companys.

http://www.ny1.com/content/top_stori...-fdny-closings

The city is reportedly looking to dip into a little-known health care fund as a way to stave off teacher layoffs and fire company closures.

The New York Daily News says municipal unions are hashing out a deal allowing the city to take millions of dollars from the labor-controlled Health Insurance Stabilization Fund.

Money from the fund is used to cover added costs of city employees with the more expensive GHI health insurance.

A mayoral spokesperson confirmed the discussions to the Daily News.

If a deal is worked out, it could save thousands of teachers' jobs and possibly some of the 20 fire companies on the chopping block.

Forum Member

Anyone save a copy of the 6019 roster?? PM ME

Forum Member

Default Moving on...

I have been checking the forum for updates over the past few years but rarely post. I just wanted to share some thoughts, to echo some earlier posts:

I have been waiting like all of you have - my 6019 list number is well below 400, I just had to defer as I was active duty when my number came up. But its time for all of us to move on - lets all face it, 6019 is not going to be activated again.

The city council has already passed a resolution allowing for those of us who would be aged out to take the next exam; residency credits will only be for those of us who graduated NYC HS; the filing period is being written up as we speak; the court battle has dragged on long enough to make the test moot; even if they DID start hiring from 6019 again, it would be valid for less than a year from todays date.

We should all start focusing our efforts on the next test. Study as hard or harder than you did last time; if you had a great number, you should end up in better shape. If you had a so-so number, there is zero chance of getting hired off 6019 anyway so here is your next chance.

Perhaps we should all stop b!tching and whining about things we can't do anything about and start preparing for what we CAN have an effect on. We probably all have friends/family on the job, and have spent enough time in different houses to know that complaining and not offering constructive solutions will just get you on the *****list really fast.

In any case, that's my advice. This is the 6019 thread but we all have to forget about it, help usher in the next test, and do as well as we can. Stop fighting a battle that has already been lost.

Good luck to all on the next exam.

Forum Member

"residency credits will only be for those of us who graduated NYC HS;"

Actually, this is no where near being law yet. Hopefully it never is. Also at this point there is no way of knowing 100% exactly what will end up happen with 6019, and until they even have a number for the new exam this thread will be the best thing we have to stay informed.

Thank God for the age extension in any event. But theres no point in giving up on 6019 till we are all sitting down to actually take the next test.

Forum Member

Thumbs up Stop the Dept of Social Justice. NOBAMA

The Appeal process for List #6019 will move forward when all the Vulcan BS is

settled. The FDNY has not hired now for 3 years and who know how long before

a new test will be given. Lists can be extended for as long as the City needs

too. This judge had no business rendering a one sided opinion on the 6019

test. The vulcans were asked if they wanted to get involved in the test set up

but declined for the obvious reasons. Support rank order hiring off 6019 until

all the legal eagles have been heard. Stay safe!

Forum Member

Not to impose on the thread but does anyone have a roster or rank list of how they scored..just trying to do a little research. thanks..keep up the hard work guys.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nycthirteen View Post
    I have been checking the forum for updates over the past few years but rarely post. I just wanted to share some thoughts, to echo some earlier posts:

I have been waiting like all of you have - my 6019 list number is well below 400, I just had to defer as I was active duty when my number came up. But its time for all of us to move on - lets all face it, 6019 is not going to be activated again.

The city council has already passed a resolution allowing for those of us who would be aged out to take the next exam; residency credits will only be for those of us who graduated NYC HS; the filing period is being written up as we speak; the court battle has dragged on long enough to make the test moot; even if they DID start hiring from 6019 again, it would be valid for less than a year from todays date.

We should all start focusing our efforts on the next test. Study as hard or harder than you did last time; if you had a great number, you should end up in better shape. If you had a so-so number, there is zero chance of getting hired off 6019 anyway so here is your next chance.

Perhaps we should all stop b!tching and whining about things we can't do anything about and start preparing for what we CAN have an effect on. We probably all have friends/family on the job, and have spent enough time in different houses to know that complaining and not offering constructive solutions will just get you on the *****list really fast.

In any case, that's my advice. This is the 6019 thread but we all have to forget about it, help usher in the next test, and do as well as we can. Stop fighting a battle that has already been lost.

^ ^ ^
    No way are you on 6019 and if you are, you're agreeing with Garaufis. Do you really think the exam you took(6019 supposedly) was bias?

Please note if the appeal of 6019 fails, the next exam will be an absolute sh*t show as soon as the results come back and all involved realize they're the same or even worse.
    Last edited by GIMMEFIRE600; 06-13-2011 at 04:14 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GIMMEFIRE600 View Post
    ^ ^ ^
    Please note if the appeal of 6019 fails, the next exam will be an absolute sh*t show as soon as the results come back and all involved realize they're the same or even worse.
    I would definitly bet the results will be "the same or even worse"

Forum Member

You have to be joking. You come onto our forum and tell us to give up and move foward. You have a real set. The women and men on this site have worked endless hours to make everything we have possible. Age extension, public awareness, and have fought for our cause.
    I think you forget we still have an appeal pending and are still on the ONLY current fdny list. So I think YOU should give up and move foward. Because with that attitude you have no place being on the FD and especially on our forum.
    Just a quick reminder to you, we will never stop fighting for the job we have worked soooo hard for.

Forum Member

you hit the nail on the head!! we should all just forget about the 6019 thread! I'll tell you what, go start your thread and wait for all of us to come post on it while holding your breath!!! See you soon!

MembersZone Subscriber

Be aware of who's reading this forum.
    Last edited by dotherightthing; 06-19-2011 at 09:55 AM.

Forum Member

It seems like you guys are purposely misconstruing his message.
    Last edited by BrooklynBorn; 06-14-2011 at 03:08 AM.

Forum Member

bitching about bitching = more bitching

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dotherightthing View Post
    Some of you guys are really giving this forum a bad reputation. You're so quick to knock somebody down who is simply voicing their opinion or experience on this public forum. Note the word "public." This forum doesn't belong to anybody on here, no matter how many times you have posted. You are no better than anybody else on here and the bitterness is running rampant. DO NOT make this a place where guys are hesitant to post a question or comment. That question or comment may damn well help a lot of people, including you. I have followed this post since the beginning and lately there has been too much bitching.

Newsflash, life is unfair. Keep fighting the good fight but as far as I can tell some of you feel this job is owed to you somehow. It's really pathetic. Taking a test earns you nothing. Until you are in the firehouse for some serious time, you have no idea what this job is like or is about. Mark my words.

Again, stop giving this forum a bad reputation with this tit for tat attitude. Keep in mind this forum is as public as it gets and some of you are not painting a pretty picture. A little clue... this job is based on supporting each other and working as a team. Clean up your act.
    Yeah. You have followed this post since the beginning with all of you 5 posts,,,,, u and ur other compadre must be a Vulcan because u have no respect for what WE are going through......life is unfair.... Haa ur right... But u know what..... I will fight till my grave to get justice for what I have gone thru...... U are either a Vulcan or some schmo that got on the job anddid not have to go througgh the he'll that we are dealing with..... I. Sure if tables were turned you would be singing a different tune and wondering why waiting 4 years,,, going to metro 9 numerous times,,, 3 medicals,,,numerous days off work,,, countless dinner table convos with ur family abou when ur getting in,,,and a fckin letter from the FDNY saying congratulations ur in,,,, and ur the one with the balls to come on OUR forum and say for us to clean up our act?!?!? R u fckin kidding me bro... While ur on the job with ur cushy life working ur 24s and seeing ur family why don't u think for a second about what you just posted and clean up YOUR AcT!!! U reap what u sow and you will get urs.... Just like the vulcans and the judge will as well.

Forum Member

For those of you that are telling us that the list is dead and that we should move on... enough. We'll keep fighting until the City OFFICIALLY tells us that the list is expired, dead, 6ft under, etc. And btw, how are we supposed to prepare for the next exam when we have no clue whatsoever as to how it'll be formatted? Hmmm...
    6019- was sitting at 13xx
    2000- now sitting at 18xx

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DC33017 View Post
    Yeah. You have followed this post since the beginning with all of you 5 posts,,,,, u and ur other compadre must be a Vulcan because u have no respect for what WE are going through......life is unfair.... Haa ur right... But u know what..... I will fight till my grave to get justice for what I have gone thru...... U are either a Vulcan or some schmo that got on the job anddid not have to go througgh the he'll that we are dealing with..... I. Sure if tables were turned you would be singing a different tune and wondering why waiting 4 years,,, going to metro 9 numerous times,,, 3 medicals,,,numerous days off work,,, countless dinner table convos with ur family abou when ur getting in,,,and a fckin letter from the FDNY saying congratulations ur in,,,, and ur the one with the balls to come on OUR forum and say for us to clean up our act?!?!? R u fckin kidding me bro... While ur on the job with ur cushy life working ur 24s and seeing ur family why don't u think for a second about what you just posted and clean up YOUR AcT!!! U reap what u sow and you will get urs.... Just like the vulcans and the judge will as well.
    exactly, the family/friends always ask whats going on and you just have nothing else to say. Something you worked so hard for training and running, then trying to keep the hope up.

I had one family member tell me to just give up....yea right

Forum Member

Thumbs down Stop the Dept of Social Justice. NOBAMA

http://biggovernment.com/tfitton/201...ce-department/

A good read. Only helps when the appeal is filed. Stay safe.

Forum Member

I gotta say, NYCThirteen made a good point and it's being misconstrued here. Fact is, as of right now, 6019 has been found to be invalid. It sure as hell is a B.S. decision, but it has current legal standing. An appeal process might help the city avoid hiring under-qualified people or having to make retro-payments to people who were too stupid to get a decent grade and be hired. What it probably WON'T do is result in any hires. From the sound of things at the Rock and around H.Q., the filing process for the next exam will in fact take place this summer. The test will follow in the winter and hiring will probably commence within 6 months or as soon as possible following the exam. Once the city has a new (and not legally challenged ) list in place, they're not going to fight to hire from an old list. The city will only fight for what's best for them. What this means is, they don't want to hire from the 1999 and 2002 lists, nor do they want to pay damages to the group who claims they were discriminated against. If they can avoid those two things, they'll leave 6019 in the dust and hire from the most recent exam.

All I read in nycthirteen's post is a message to focus on the now. No one likes the Vulcan's, nor do they like this decision. However, we have to face the likelyhood that 6019 is finished. Focus your energy on things that you can control. Insure that the age limit is raised and the H.S. credit nonsense is dropped. Study like mad and kill the next test. Believe me, we want people like you who care and are driven.

The next test is your best option and a sure thing. The city may very well fight 6019, but not for your, for them. Not to mention, that process is going to take years.

Take the next test, study like your life depends on it (because it sorta does) and get hired!

Forum Member

Well said, I'm just curious what you meant about the 2002 lists.
    Last edited by BrooklynBorn; 06-14-2011 at 01:49 PM.

Thread Information