Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 568 of 618 FirstFirst ... 68468518558565566567568569570571578 ... LastLast
Results 11,341 to 11,360 of 12347
Like Tree74Likes

Thread: Fdny List 6019

  1. #11341
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DRid View Post
    Is it possible I could get in trouble for checking the "Black" box in the racial data section of the exam even if I'm not black? Who's to say I'm white anyway, perhaps I identify as black. It's not like they'd chase my genetic history back hundreds of years to find out. Has this ever been brought up as a means of protest against affirmative action within the 6019 community? Maybe in 2011 90% of test takers will be "black", think that'd make Garaufis and the Vulcans happy?
    LMAO. someone should get a thing going around where everyone just selects the black for ethnicity no matter what


  2. #11342
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,224

    Default

    I think mostly anyone could get away with hispanic.

  3. #11343
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    27

    Default Some Good News

    NYC budget deal averts 4K teacher layoffs, Staten Island firehouse closures
    Associated Press
    Posted: 06/24/2011 10:16 PM


    NEW YORK -- City lawmakers reached a budget deal today that will avert the layoffs of about 4,100 teachers partly through union concessions, but the city won't pay to replace thousands more public school instructors who quit or retire this year, officials said.

    The bottom line for Staten Island: No local educators will be laid off and no firehouses will be closed. Engine 161 in South Beach and Engine 157 in Port Richmond were slated for closure.

    Mayor Michael Bloomberg and City Council Speaker Christine Quinn were expected to shake hands on the agreement this evening, after lengthy negotiations in which lawmakers had sought to reach a deal on a more than $65 billion city budget that's been hit by cutbacks in state and federal funding.

    Under the deal, teacher study sabbaticals will be suspended for a year and the United Federation of Teachers has agreed to change its policies on the hiring of substitutes, said union spokesman Dick Riley.

    A city official familiar with the agreement confirmed the details Friday. The offficial requested anonymity because it had not yet been formally announced.

    The mayor's proposed shuttering of 20 fire companies -- a move the city fire commissioner had said would slow firefighter response times -- has also been averted, the official said.

    Budget officials had estimated that saving the 4,100 teaching jobs would cost $300 million they said the city didn't have. Some of that money will now come from City Council, although the details of the arrangement were not yet clear.

    Officials have said they expect about 2,000 teachers to quit or retire this year, and under the agreement those jobs would not be filled.

    Friday evening's deal represented the final revision of the mayor's $65.72 billion proposal that he issued in May. The handshake agreement must be followed by a formal vote before the end of the month, when fiscal year 2011 ends.

    The administration had been negotiating with an umbrella group of city unions in the hopes of drawing on a union health care fund to save the teachers' jobs, but those talks fell apart Thursday.

    Teacher layoffs, frequently threatened in budget negotiations, have not actually been approved in the city budget process since the 1970s. This year, Bloomberg had unsuccessfully lobbied state lawmakers to overturn teacher seniority protections, which would have allowed officials to pick and choose which teachers received pink slips.

    Officials had said the layoffs would have increased class sizes by two or three children, and elementary schools in poor neighborhoods would have been the hardest hit.

    The mayor's proposal in May had included an array of other cost cutting measures, including a 12 percent cut to the city's libraries, the closure of some city swimming pools and the removal of food items like bread, pepper and ketchup from the menu in city jails.

    The fate of those individual proposals in Friday's agreement wasn't immediately clear.

  4. #11344
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    198

    Default

    Several news outlets reporting all 20 fire companies to stay open. However, we'll see the same nonsense this time next year.
    Another thing to consider is that the FDNY is currently something like minus 300 in manpower. The were more retirements and promotions recently. This number is only going to get higher as time goes on, especially if all companies do indeed stay open. Retirements are going to continue. Promotions will also continue to occur. The earliest possible date for hiring off the new list would be late 2012. That would make it around four years since any hiring was done. There should be plenty of spots. With that said, take care of everything we can control and we should end up making out alright. They cannot stop you from doing well on the exam and from staying out of trouble.
    Last edited by Minerva; 01-11-2013 at 07:42 PM.

  5. #11345
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,224

    Default

    Minerva when you say 100 or 99 Do they calculate that before extra points?

  6. #11346
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    198

    Default

    The scores I mentioned from 6019 included the extra points.

  7. #11347
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    278

    Default

    I meant there would be more people applying because its a job rather than for The Calling. You're right in that there probably wont be any more "qualified" applicants than last time.

  8. #11348
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    278

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DRid View Post
    Just got a call from FD asking to confirm my contact info. The woman said the filing period will be in July, and the test will be in December.
    If they have tests in December, is it all on one day with different locations or will it be one day, one location?

  9. #11349
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    852

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FDNYPD View Post
    If they have tests in December, is it all on one day with different locations or will it be one day, one location?


    I really don't see how it's at all possible that any of us would even remotely know how they plan to do it. That said, I think one day/one location would be, ya know, some kind of fire hazard...
    Last edited by roadrunner09; 06-26-2011 at 09:43 AM.

  10. #11350
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    45

    Default extra points

    Hey guys i posted this a while back, 2009, in regard to the extra points and with the recent posts about numbers taking the exam thought it would be relavent. FYI it has happend, he was not hired and even if the list list is used he would be 2 classes out from being hired...tough Sh** to take when you think of it.

    "Hey guys just a little food for thought, the person with the lowest list number who did not recieve any extra points was list number 1838 and he scored a 99.03, those points mean a hell of a lot. This guy could concivibly not be hired on this list, AKA the person who scored the highest out of anyone who took this test (note I tried to do the math by subtracting points from the top 25 scored with extra points, i could be wrong, but not by many) could be passed over because he didn't have extra points. I know that i will be moving to NYC for the next exam, becuase I would be on the cusp for the next class if I had residency. Again just some food for thought. "

  11. #11351
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    474

    Default

    i think the last test was all in one day at public schoools thruout the 5 boroughs but there was an afternoon test and a morning test

  12. #11352
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,224

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chrome12211 View Post
    Hey guys i posted this a while back, 2009, in regard to the extra points and with the recent posts about numbers taking the exam thought it would be relavent. FYI it has happend, he was not hired and even if the list list is used he would be 2 classes out from being hired...tough Sh** to take when you think of it.

    "Hey guys just a little food for thought, the person with the lowest list number who did not recieve any extra points was list number 1838 and he scored a 99.03, those points mean a hell of a lot. This guy could concivibly not be hired on this list, AKA the person who scored the highest out of anyone who took this test (note I tried to do the math by subtracting points from the top 25 scored with extra points, i could be wrong, but not by many) could be passed over because he didn't have extra points. I know that i will be moving to NYC for the next exam, becuase I would be on the cusp for the next class if I had residency. Again just some food for thought. "
    I'm confused about what you meant in the first paragraph and also by the numbers you used in the second?

  13. #11353
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    474

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBorn View Post
    I'm confused about what you meant in the first paragraph and also by the numbers you used in the second?
    i think what he meant was that u pretty much need all the points you can get residency/vet etc... people score a 98 or so and still not get within hiring range

  14. #11354
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,224

    Default

    Yeah Thanks, I understood that part, I'm curious about the the list numbers and scores, I didn't realize that info was public.

  15. #11355
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    218

    Default

    So now that the firehouses are saved.....OT shoots through the roof and attrition still continues,,,,do you think that the FDNY can still go about lets say on the safe side a year and a half without hiring again????


    Plus the 10th year anniversary since 9/11,,,
    plus Osama being taken down...
    by no means am I saying something horrible will happen but I believe that the mayor/judge are just being very careless with the city's safety issue. This is both a money saving solution and a saftey solution if we still get hired.



    Remember that about 3k police officers have been hired since the last fireclass went in


    I still firmly believe that we will get hired off 6019

  16. #11356
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    278

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by roadrunner09 View Post
    I really don't see how it's at all possible that any of us would even remotely know how they plan to do it. That said, I think one day/one location would be, ya know, some kind of fire hazard...
    Yea I wasnt using my head. Same place would have to be a football stadium...

    Quote Originally Posted by myles8683 View Post
    i think the last test was all in one day at public schoools thruout the 5 boroughs but there was an afternoon test and a morning test
    Thanks. I was hoping for more than one day since I'm planning on a trip in December. Naturally, the test takes priority so I'll just bank on the usual later-than-rumored date for the test

  17. #11357
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    45

    Default

    BKborn, all lists once certified are a matter of public record and can be viewed for the life of the list and the 6019 list link was posted on here a couple times, I think that the link is no good anymore though, once the list was ruled biased the link stopped working. Basically what I am saying is that even if you score number one on the list based on raw score (no added points, legacy, vetran, residency) you could still not get OTJ. If this idiot judge has anything to do with it scores will no longer matter, just the color of your skin...which is sadly exactly why civil service exams were made, to prevent hiring based on race, ethnicity, or nepotism. My great-grandfather got OTJ when all the other jobs in NYC had sign that said Irish need not apply, looks like we are going back to those days...thank god for progress.

  18. #11358
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    474

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FDNYPD View Post
    Yea I wasnt using my head. Same place would have to be a football stadium...



    Thanks. I was hoping for more than one day since I'm planning on a trip in December. Naturally, the test takes priority so I'll just bank on the usual later-than-rumored date for the test
    iam pretty sure once filing opens then u should have a scheduled test date. so hopefully by july you will know

  19. #11359
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    474

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DC33017 View Post
    So now that the firehouses are saved.....OT shoots through the roof and attrition still continues,,,,do you think that the FDNY can still go about lets say on the safe side a year and a half without hiring again????


    Plus the 10th year anniversary since 9/11,,,
    plus Osama being taken down...
    by no means am I saying something horrible will happen but I believe that the mayor/judge are just being very careless with the city's safety issue. This is both a money saving solution and a saftey solution if we still get hired.



    Remember that about 3k police officers have been hired since the last fireclass went in

    I still firmly believe that we will get hired off 6019
    as much as we all would love to see more classes off 6019, cant the city rush the grading and hiring off the new test? or is there like a set waiting period?

  20. #11360
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    186

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by myles8683 View Post
    as much as we all would love to see more classes off 6019, cant the city rush the grading and hiring off the new test? or is there like a set waiting period?
    if they can rank hire off 6019, that's what needs to happen

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. FDNY Test 6019-Union Square Protest
    By exp1isastreet in forum The Off Duty Forums
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 01-26-2010, 10:31 PM
  2. List #6019
    By ffbam24 in forum Hiring & Employment Discussion
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 03-30-2008, 08:59 PM
  3. FDNY List #6019
    By MailBox123 in forum Hiring & Employment Discussion
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-22-2007, 06:54 PM
  4. FDNY Exam #6019????
    By HouyBoy in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-11-2007, 10:50 AM
  5. FDNY Exam #6019-John Jay College Forum
    By exp1isastreet in forum The Off Duty Forums
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-22-2007, 03:11 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts