+ Reply to Thread
Page 579 of 618 FirstFirst ... 79479529569576577578579580581582589 ... LastLast
Results 11,561 to 11,580 of 12347
Like Tree74Likes

Thread: Fdny List 6019

Forum Member

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 6019eligible View Post
    if anyone is still asking about the promotion exam... you can still get hired off the civil service ems list up until january and be eligible to take the promotion test... if you are hired by ems after the filing period theres a late registration up until the test is given... since you are hired off of the civil service list you are considered a permanent employee of fdny and eligible to take the promotion exam... the only thing is from the time of hire as ems til the time of the first firefighter class you must have at least a year on with ems until you can be promoted... judging by all the court rulings it'll be a long time before the first class... so if you're on the civil service list currently theres a chance you could still be called in time to take the promotion exam.
    This is such BS LOL. Worked EMS 4 years. A class of people just came out last Tuesday and just like that they file for a promo less than a week later! LMAO. Oh well good luck to everyone! By the way, there is going to be some kind of system in EMS regarding time on the job and your time cards ect ect because so many guys are eligible and taking this promo, the EMS system cant afford to lose a large number of guys at a time. As you guys have prob noticed over the past 4 years the city loves to screw people so don't be so sure on just jumping to EMS in January. Took me over a year to get civil service status now they give it to you before you even take your fist exam in the academy. Geeesh.

Sincerely,
    Disgruntled EMS Employee
    :-)

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JerkAlert View Post
    This is such BS LOL. Worked EMS 4 years. A class of people just came out last Tuesday and just like that they file for a promo less than a week later! LMAO. Oh well good luck to everyone! By the way, there is going to be some kind of system in EMS regarding time on the job and your time cards ect ect because so many guys are eligible and taking this promo, the EMS system cant afford to lose a large number of guys at a time. As you guys have prob noticed over the past 4 years the city loves to screw people so don't be so sure on just jumping to EMS in January. Took me over a year to get civil service status now they give it to you before you even take your fist exam in the academy. Geeesh.

Sincerely,
    Disgruntled EMS Employee
    :-)
    well seeing as on the last promotion there were 325 on the list and only 80 went into the first class... im willing to bet again that only a third of those taking the promotion test are serious about the job.... and the others will be taking it just for the sake of taling it

Forum Member

Very true bro....lots of shlubbs still on the job. I am lucky enough to work 16's with 5 of the best guys. We all stay in shape and keep each other motivated but I have noticed some guys that just fell outta shape from EMS. They are in for a rude awakening. Still, lots of in shape on the job because they all want the same thing we want.

Round is a shape

Forum Member

Assuming that the race thing isn't an issue(which is hard) do you guys think that anyone will make the first class that isn't a veteran or ems?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ffbam24 View Post
    Round is a shape
    I can assure you there is a smaller amount of round EMS guys than in years past. I know last exam they only took 80 guys out of like 300+ but you need to at least TRIPLE that number this go around.

Forum Member

Just some observations:

1) The best policy is to focus on the things we can control. Stay out of trouble. There is going to be a study guide at some point, so prepare to do the very best you can, namely, scoring 100. And of course, Stay in shape. PSI, as far as I can tell, gives a pretty fair exam.

2)Keep in mind that not every resident or veteran is going end up scoring 100 before the bonus is added on. I would even venture to say that not every person in those groups will score 95 or better, before the points.

3) EMS, as someone else stated, cannot promote everyone at once. There will be spots for people who are not EMS (or veterans), even in the first class.

4) I do believe that the new residency requirements will cut down on the number of people who get the credit. I think it's going to be pretty hard to fake a year backwards in time.

5) The test announcement was a bit vague about what exactly the physical agility test will be. It didn't explicitly say "CPAT."

6)By the time they get around to hiring anyone, the department will most likely need a lot of new people. June 2008 was the last probationary firefighter class. Retirements and promotions also continue. I also think the City is probably going to want to hire as many as possible, as they expect this new exam to produce a diverse list.

7) Other cities have had similar situations with minority hiring. White males still were hired in those places and will here, regardless of what occurs in the future.

8) As far know, the city was planning to appeal the Garaufis decision.

9) Did anyone else notice that the exam announcement stated that the residency will be worth 5% of the total available points? That means that the residency could work out to be worth more than 5 points. I suppose it could end up being less than 5 points, but I doubt it would move that way, for obvious reasons.
    Last edited by Minerva; 01-11-2013 at 07:41 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by roadrunner09 View Post
    An FDNY hiring freeze has lasted for years due to a judge's ruling that the test for entry discriminated against minority applicants, but officials hope a new entrance exam slated for early next year will bring in a more diverse set of recruits. NY1’s Amanda Farinacci filed the following report.

The New York City Fire Department's next entrance exam is tentatively scheduled for early next year, and while it won't be known for months exactly how many people show up to take the test, officials from the FDNY say the number of "interested applicants" is staggering.

Roughly 130,000 have expressed interest in surveys or online. Jonathan Ruiz, 23, caught up with recruiters in Harlem on Friday.

“They told me how to file so I can take the test and stuff like that,” said Ruiz.

FDNY officials say roughly 34 percent of interested applicants are African-American, 29 percent are Hispanic and 22 percent are female, which is good news to a department looking to diversify.
    SO ROUGHLY 60,000 MINORITIES EXPRESSED INTEREST IN THE TEST... I WONDER WHY I DIDNT GET CALLED EVERY TWO WEEKS TO SEE IF I WAS INTERESTED IN TAKING THE TEST... THEY ARE GOING TO NEED MANY DEPT VANS TO PICK ALL THESE PEOPLE UP TO BRING THEM TO THE TEST

The agency has been unable to hire anyone since 2007 because Federal Judge Nicholas Garaufis ruled the last three exams discriminated against blacks and Hispanics.

Dion Hines scored 100 on the last test, but like the others, it was thrown out. He's already signed up to take the next one provided the judge signs off on it.

“I've went through both tests numerous times to try to understand what's discriminatory about this test, or what's over the head of an African-American or a Hispanic,” said Hines. “It's not the test, it's the test taker.”

In the last year and a half, FDNY recruiters have visited more than 6,000 events all over the city.

It's an effort that will continue throughout the summer.

“I think the amount of people that have expressed interest — it's the biggest number in departmental history,” said Regina Wilson of United Women Firefighters. “So if we keep moving up in those lines, I think that we have a better chance of getting the amount of women and racial minorities on this job.”

Right now, of the more than 11,000 current firefighters, just nine percent are black or Hispanic. One percent are Asian, and just 29 are women.
    According to garoofis asians arent minorites...

Email this Story to a Friend Print this story

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Minerva View Post
    Just some observations:

1) The best policy is to focus on the things we can control. Stay out of trouble. There is going to be a study guide at some point, so prepare to do the very best you can, namely, scoring 100. And of course, Stay in shape. PSI, as far as I can tell, gives a pretty fair exam.

2) I've said it before, I'll say it again. When there is a Merit Matters meeting, anyone trying to get onto this job should attend, if at all possible. We are welcome there and the meetings are informative.

3) Keep in mind that not every resident or veteran is going end up scoring 100 before the bonus is added on. I would even venture to say that not every person in those groups will score 95 or better, before the points.

4) EMS, as someone else stated, cannot promote everyone at once. There will be spots for people who are not EMS (or veterans), even in the first class.

5) I do believe that the new residency requirements will cut down on the number of people who get the credit. I think it's going to be pretty hard to fake a year backwards in time.

6) The test announcement was a bit vague about what exactly the physical agility test will be. It didn't explicitly say "CPAT." It could be a more difficult exam, as the Vulcan's want. That would allow those who have prepared, to rise to the top.

7) By the time they get around to hiring anyone, the department will most likely need a lot of new people. June 2008 was the last probationary firefighter class. Retirements and promotions also continue. I also think the City is probably going to want to hire as many as possible, as they expect this new exam to produce a diverse list.

8) Other cities have had similar situations with minority hiring. White males still were hired in those places and will here, regardless of what occurs with this exam and/or with 6019.

9) As far know, the city was planning to appeal the Garaufis decision. Although hard to believe, that could workout in our favor.

10) Did anyone else notice that the exam announcement stated that the residency will be worth 5% of the total available points? That means that the residency could work out to be worth more than 5 points. I suppose it could end up being less than 5 points, but I doubt it would move that way, for obvious reasons.
    Helluva a post

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBorn View Post
    Assuming that the race thing isn't an issue(which is hard) do you guys think that anyone will make the first class that isn't a veteran or ems?
    as far as i know vets get the same amount of points as residents. so assuming that than yes plenty of people who arent vets or ems will get in the first class... vets is still 5 points rite? it didnt really say

Forum Member

Deleting posts and account.
    Last edited by FairHiringFDNY; 08-19-2011 at 05:28 PM.

Forum Member

are you sure they must now have 2 years on?

On another note, a family member of mine put the wrong phone number on his filing application. Should he call Dcas or is there a way to change it via the dcas website.
    Last edited by BrooklynBorn; 07-17-2011 at 07:28 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBorn View Post
    are you sure they must now have 2 years on?

On another note, a family member of mine put the wrong phone number on his filing application. Should he call Dcas or is there a way to change it via the dcas website.
    Whatever he does, make sure he confirms that it was actually changed and in their system. A while back I put in for a change of address and it took over a month of cat and mouse to actually get it changed.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MerritMatters View Post
    Whatever he does, make sure he confirms that it was actually changed and in their system. A while back I put in for a change of address and it took over a month of cat and mouse to actually get it changed.
    Did you email them or call? Thanks.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FairHiringFDNY View Post
    EMS people must now have 2 years on to be promoted as per NOE. That will slow a lot of the hiring of EMS people.
    I don't know how true this is, but I also hear that to go from PD to FD, one would have to finish his probation (2yrs) in order to transfer his time and pension. So if you hop over before your probation is up, all the time accumulated up to that point just vanishes. I really don't know how true this is. If anyone can shine some light on this, I'd really appreciate it.
    Btw, I'll jump over in a heartbeat if this "judge" makes his final decision and a class goes through in the next 6months to a year (that is, if I'm part of the 300). Still praying like the rest of you brothers.
    6019- was sitting at 13xx
    2000- now sitting at 18xx

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by My1Goal View Post
    I don't know how true this is, but I also hear that to go from PD to FD, one would have to finish his probation (2yrs) in order to transfer his time and pension. So if you hop over before your probation is up, all the time accumulated up to that point just vanishes. I really don't know how true this is. If anyone can shine some light on this, I'd really appreciate it.
    Btw, I'll jump over in a heartbeat if this "judge" makes his final decision and a class goes through in the next 6months to a year (that is, if I'm part of the 300). Still praying like the rest of you brothers.
    I would ask in the rant about that one since so many gave actually done it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by My1Goal View Post
    You can switch with 1 day on PD and on day two enter the fire accademy. Your pensionable time doesn't change. These are based on acuarial tables, and such. You start paying in the day you start collecting a paycheck.

That date never changes.

Ask your PBA delegate or call your pension desk if you want an offical answer.

BTW....your time towards pay doesn't count regardless if you have 1 day or 19 years as a Sgt in PD. You now start back a 6th Grade firemans pay.

FTM-PTB

Forum Member

What was the reason why they only took 80 ems out of 325 guys??? Did they stop at 80 or did the rest not show up/ fail out????

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FFFRED View Post
    You can switch with 1 day on PD and on day two enter the fire accademy. Your pensionable time doesn't change. These are based on acuarial tables, and such. You start paying in the day you start collecting a paycheck.

That date never changes.

Ask your PBA delegate or call your pension desk if you want an offical answer.

BTW....your time towards pay doesn't count regardless if you have 1 day or 19 years as a Sgt in PD. You now start back a 6th Grade firemans pay.

FTM-PTB
    Hi FFFRED, I really appreciate your quick reply. So I guess my time with the pd still transfers whether or not I've finished my probationary period. That's great news. I just started the PD academy but I'll be the first to jump if/when I get the call for the FD, as it is my one and only goal. The only thing that's getting me through the pd academy right now is picturing myself at the Rock, training with all the stand-up guys I've met on 6019. I still believe...
    6019- was sitting at 13xx
    2000- now sitting at 18xx

Thread Information