Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 59 of 618 FirstFirst ... 9495657585960616269109159559 ... LastLast
Results 1,161 to 1,180 of 12347
Like Tree74Likes

Thread: Fdny List 6019

Plenty of guys in the past have deferred to finish a degree before taking the appointment. Even after the first year, it will probably be difficult to fit in a school schedule. You'll be part of the job...part of your house. A lot of things happen that revolve around the schedule that you as the probie will bend over backwards to do for the senior guys. And being the probie, everybody is senior. (It's called "doing the right thing".)

IMO, if you can finish the degree before the next class; go for it.

For some the wait is almost over.
    Good luck.
    Last edited by ffbam24; 06-07-2008 at 12:47 PM.

Forum Member

hopefull im in the same posistion and if I got called (my # is too high anyway) I would seriously consider defering.. Its hard to go back once you leave and that 18 credits could take years if your taking a couple of classes at a time. Id bang it out and give yourself another 6 months to get in shape and you never have to worry about your degree again

Forum Member

finishing your degree and deffering is deffinitly a huge decision you gotta make. my buddy got on the job with a college degree and hurt his back by falling down a flight of stairs at a job. he ended up working down at head quarters until he was cleared to go back to his truck but if he didnt have his degree he would have been screwed out of a job. on the other hand i dont know the rules of deffering to a later class and if they will hold a spot for you. i would kill myself if i deffered and then blew my chance of getting in. what ever you decide, make a good decision and good luck.

Forum Member

Default Weather

On another subject, anyone else not particularly excited to do the 1.5 mile run in 90+ degrees??
    I have been running for the past few months, but today was a whole other beast. It was just gross out.
    It obviously doesn't matter, it has to get done, but I bet a lot of people that would normally run it no problem in a 65 degree day are going to have some problems or maybe even not be able to do it when the temp spikes 25-30 degrees more.
    Just my opinion.

Forum Member

Default heat

Forget about doing the mile and a half in this heat, aren't we all lucky to be going into the academy PERIOD in the DEAD OF SUMMER.-"Being Sarcastic" Ok, the run will be tough in the heat but we are gonna have 2 straight months of this stuff. Forget the run, what about the smokehouse, or running around in bunker gear in 100 degree whether in the middle of august. Were all gonna be like 100 pounds wet with rocks in our pockets by september. First person to get a letter or call please let us know. ITS GONNA BE A HOT SUMMER. EXTREMELY HOT SUMMER FOR US.

Forum Member

or motivation alley.. :/
    7xx

Forum Member

smokehouse, motiv alley, PT everyday, bring it, Paradoxal statment, I know I am gonna Love it but both Hate it, We are gonna all feel the same way and we gotta stick through it

Forum Member

Now the smoke house is self explanatory. What is Motivation Alley?
    And has Anyone gotten a letter yet??

Forum Member

HOPEFULLY09----"did anyone take the Nassau PD test? I wrote an 84 and heard from someone that only 200 people got above a 90, and only 600 above an 80. Anyone else hear a similar rumor?"

Where did you hear this. I got an 86.143 and my friend just got the letter yesterday to begin his BI with a 91.4

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by tcfdDan View Post
    On another subject, anyone else not particularly excited to do the 1.5 mile run in 90+ degrees??
    Class 2-07 did the run in 95+ degrees. Nobody felt bad for them since there was a 3rd alarm going on at the same time in Queens. Who do you think was hotter?

Forum Member

If it's that hot, just. run. faster.

Forum Member

You guys are right. No weather is going to stop me. Just making a comment.

Forum Member

yeah its gonna be hot but i guess i rather pt and train in hot whether then when its freezing and i gotta have on a coat while running. It doesnt matter, there isn't any whether that will stop me from becoming part of the best job in the world. I've gotten used to training in all types of whether while i was in the military. One question though, do any of u think it is worth it to rent a car to make it easier to get to and from training everyday or forget about it and just try to carpool with someone.

Hey guys,
    Quick question...

Someone asked me the other day what the specs are for eyesight to get to on the job now. Guy I know just recieved lasik surgery, and he's 20/20 in one eye 20/40 in the other. Curious if anyone had any type of definitive answer. Thanks

Forum Member

ourtime,

i was just figuring that out this week. i heard its pretty easy to car pool and form rides. public transportation is deffinitly out though, takes too much time during the mornings for most people.
    7xx

Forum Member

Plus relying on pub transportation to be on time, for each stop isn't worth the risk for me.

On a side note, I was able to get through to my investigator. Calling early IS the answer. Very early. I'll be waiting by my mailbox with the rests of you's and see ya on Saturday. Words cannot express how happy I am right now.

Maybe rent a car for the first week until you can form up with a carpool.
    Gas prices are going to take too much of what you're going to be making during Probie School. And any money you have saved up will be put to much better use for food, rent, and utilities. Save what money you can.

Public transportation is OUT. There is no subway stop on the island. There is the M60 bus that comes from Harlem ONLY at 125th St. NO buses come from Queens. Carpooling is key.

Do your best on the run <12min, >30 slow count pushups, >30 situps/2min (your pace), 4 dead-arm hang pullups (not chinups) with your chin clearing the bar. All this in order to avoid remedial PT. These are the minimums which you'll be tested on at the beginning and end of Probie School. Hopefully after six months you'll be able to show improvement on these .

Remedial PT throws a monkey wrench into your whole carpool life. Early rollcall you'll be staying late 2 hours. Late rollcall you'll be going in 2 hours early.

You'll be switching rollcall times between early and late regardless between both companies that are formed up; Alpha and Bravo.

I'll throw in more as questions come up.
    Hang tough.

Forum Member

I bet I'm not the only guy sitting in the stairwell with my laptop waiting for the mailman....
    6019 #47x

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by fdny2b View Post
    I bet I'm not the only guy sitting in the stairwell with my laptop waiting for the mailman....
    That's about the surest bet you're ever gonna make.

Forum Member

Looks like the weather for saturday is going to be in the upper 70's, partly cloudy. It's gonna feel so much better compared to training in this heat.

Thread Information