Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 592 of 618 FirstFirst ... 92492542582589590591592593594595602 ... LastLast
Results 11,821 to 11,840 of 12347
Like Tree74Likes

Thread: Fdny List 6019

Forum Member

Hey everyone, good turnout on Monday for the hearing. I got to meet a lot of cool people and reconnected with others who I haven't seen in almost a year. We all shared stories and watched the horror as members of the FDNY took the stand (Vulcans) and easily blurted out things that I would never imagine an FDNY Firefighter saying about his (or her) job. Just the fact that one higher up (who I will not name) showed pure ignorance towards several tragedies and showing no compassion or remorse to victims of others proved to me that there are some very ungrateful people who work the job that we are so hardly fighting for.

I couldn't help but read the Daily News article which pretty much praised said members of the FDNY Vulcan Society for doing their part in trying to recruit more minorities. DN reporter Oren Yaniv easily left out the fact that there was no evidence showing that a noose was found in one's firehouse. He also failed to mention that official protocol when a hate crime is committed was not followed, nor officially recorded for future reference. After this week, the Daily News will have one less subscriber.

All in all, it is a clearly biased case leaning towards the Vulcan's favor. Judge Garafus and his one way attitude tells me that he already has his mind up. All we can do as Candidates is continue to train, eat right and show we want this job. Hell I even have my girlfriend ready to kick doors down and take names if need be. We need to get our families and friends involved as well since there is power with numbers.

Keep fighting the good fight as we will have our day. Special thanks to Deputy Chief Mannix and his team for showing up and being there for us. They really are going above and beyond for all of us fighting this battle. I'm really looking forward to the next meeting at Bryant Park and seeing everyone again.

J

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by irish2522 View Post
    I just don't understand it. With all the lawsuits that are gaining ground none to me seem to have a solid agruement. The test is racist because some groups didn't score high enough? Come on now, this is bull. Firefighting is a tough job and the ability to retain information and understand concepts in training is very important in everyday life and your survival throughout your career. It just blows my mind that this stuff is holding water in court. What's next lower the bar requirements, make the MCLEPs easier? Lower the standards and people get hurt. Just had to vent, still taking the test and seeing where it leads.
    Same theory behind Section 8 housing. You cant drive up costs to keep out a certain person. You can't drive up standards to keep out a certain group. Someone stood up and said "This test is beyond the spectrum of firefighting intelligence." They get their claims handled by the System. It's not perfect but you would want someone to listen to you if you thought something wasnt right. It will all come out in the wash. Just be patient.

The Commissioner isnt helping things. If he really feels like he's doing right, let someone in to see. This "I know whats best because I've done it for 42 years" business isnt going to cut it anymore. No record of hiring conversation? C'mon. Tape recorder and someone to transpose it later. Closed door smell like the crap thats behind them. You fellows know that. I'd say things would go a lot better for FDNY if they'd just let liasons in to see how people are hired. If he has nothing to hide, then prove it.

I do agree that the black firefighters shouldnt be publicly bashing their place of employment. Thats just bad form. However, can the commissioner really say that things arent fishy around there? 3% blacks? Even a lowly applicant like myself can see that's enough of a red flag to warrant an investigation.

Quote Originally Posted by Firehouse_Chick View Post
    Chicago FD Set to Hire 111 Black Firefighters
    From that group, the city will select 111 candidates who will enter the fire academy for training by the end of March 2012.

"I don't think we'll have a problem coming up with 111 who still want the job and are fully qualified to have it," said Joshua Karsh, another attorney representing the plaintiffs. "Some of these people are older than 38. But better than half the department is older than 38."
    When results from the 1995 entrance exam were disappointing for minorities, the city established a cut-off score of 89 and hired randomly from the top 1,800 "well-qualified" candidates.
    In 2005, a federal judge ruled that the city's decision had the effect of perpetuating the predominantly white status quo, because 78 percent of those '"well-qualified'' candidates were white.
    Nineteen percent of Chicago's 5,000 firefighters and paramedics are African American. The force is 68 percent white and 11 percent Hispanic.
    "By comparison to the Police Department, African Americans are dramatically underrepresented. There will [now] be 111 additional African Americans. That's a very good thing," Karsh said.
    He added, "This is the remedy for violating the law. Hopefully, this will deter the city from ever violating the law in this fashion again."

http://www.firehouse.com/news/top-he...k-firefighters
    I'm sure this will cause absolutely no problems and resentment among current CFD members, instructors and these newly hired candidates. This is an absolute sham.

Forum Member

FYI for the folks who wouldnt PM me to continue our racism discussion; for those who think I'm for the Vulcans: I am at the age where if rank order hiring of #6019 is honored, I do not get a job with FDNY. I support rank order hiring off of #6019. You make the connection

Quote Originally Posted by FDNYPD View Post
    Same theory behind Section 8 housing. You cant drive up costs to keep out a certain person. You can't drive up standards to keep out a certain group. Someone stood up and said "This test is beyond the spectrum of firefighting intelligence." They get their claims handled by the System. It's not perfect but you would want someone to listen to you if you thought something wasnt right. It will all come out in the wash. Just be patient.

The Commissioner isnt helping things. If he really feels like he's doing right, let someone in to see. This "I know whats best because I've done it for 42 years" business isnt going to cut it anymore. No record of hiring conversation? C'mon. Tape recorder and someone to transpose it later. Closed door smell like the crap thats behind them. You fellows know that. I'd say things would go a lot better for FDNY if they'd just let liasons in to see how people are hired. If he has nothing to hide, then prove it.

I do agree that the black firefighters shouldnt be publicly bashing their place of employment. Thats just bad form. However, can the commissioner really say that things arent fishy around there? 3% blacks? Even a lowly applicant like myself can see that's enough of a red flag to warrant an investigation.
    Youre kind of retarded.
    Proud East Coast Traditionalist.

Forum Member

Simple post from a simple man

Forum Member

1st problem with your post is the fact the test was written on a 5th grade level. 2nd problem with your post is the FDNY spends millions recruiting only minorities and less than 700 black people have registered for the test... a very large majority just do not want to be fireman. 3rd problem with your post is that you think the commissioner should relinquish parts of his duties as commissioner to appease people who can't score well enough to be hired. 4th problem is you have no idea what you're talking about and you more than likely should be wearing a helmet.

By the way, ******* is spelled a s s h o l e not applicant Name:  GTFO-Bob-Barker.jpg
Views: 1027
Size:  26.1 KB

If the percentages of black firemen weren't low pretty much anywhere without quotas, I might think something was up. Why are minority numbers so insanely out of whack in the opposite direction for other city departments (PD, Corrections, NYCHA, etc). Fire protection takes 100% dedication, its not something you can just half ***** into, no matter who you are. Absolutely not saying minorities are lazy, but if your not completely committed and are hungry for it, it's not gonna fall into your lap. Actually, I am wrong because it's starting to just fall in peoples laps. Cassano stated the obvious when he said that alot of people get into from watching their fathers and uncles in the department and idolize them. Its a family biz folks....always will be. You can put all the quotas in you want your still gonna get the individuals with it in their blood turning out for tests. Without someone holding their hands throughout the process mind you.

Forum Member

Hahaha your arguements are beyond the scope of emotions. But I guess thats why you're trying to be firemen, not lawyers. I understand you guys are too close to the matter to understand it. I, on the other hand, realize there is an injustice here.

Police work requires equal amounts of intelligence to stay alive yet their minority numbers are much higher.
    Last edited by FDNYPD; 08-17-2011 at 01:40 PM.

Hahaha your arguements are beyond the scope of emotions. But I guess thats why you're trying to be firemen, not lawyers. I understand you guys are too close to the matter to understand it. I, on the other hand, realize there is an injustice here.

Police work requires equal amounts of intelligence to stay alive yet their minority numbers are much higher.
    Im not "trying" to be anything, sh*tforbrains. Get a clue.

Forum Member

Shame you can't discuss this with an open mind. Just keep throwing insults

Shame you can't discuss this with an open mind. Just keep throwing insults

I only have legitimate discussions with people smart enough to handle it. Im sorry you dont fit that description.

As for my open mind.....this discussion, and the idiotic points you keep trying to bring up, have been discussed time and time again...going back more than a couple years....to the test I got hired from and ones before. so thanks, but no thanks. My mind is made up, your idiocy wont change facts.

Forum Member

I see they were brought up before but that doesnt change the fact that they do exist. They wont just fade into the background because you dont believe or agree with them.

As for my intelligence, I've stated points and facts from the articles. You have thrown insults. Not much to argue there.

Forum Member

fdnypd i dont understand the last part of your previous post. if rank order hiring is permitted why would you not get a job with fdny?

I see they were brought up before but that doesnt change the fact that they do exist. They wont just fade into the background because you dont believe or agree with them.

As for my intelligence, I've stated points and facts from the articles. You have thrown insults. Not much to argue there. I'm clearly superior in arguing until you prove otherwise
    lol......keep trying. youll figure it out eventually.

Forum Member

I'd say things would go a lot better for FDNY if they'd just let liasons in to see how people are hired. If he has nothing to hide, then prove it.
    You really do not know what you're talking about. This is civil service hiring, it's not run by nepotism, favoritism, oral boards, number tweaking or other manipulations, but rather....RANK ORDER. Let me educate you on how the hiring works.

I know the majority of the investigators in metrotech, most of them are minority!!! These are the people that hire the firefighters. The same people that do the hiring for EVERY EMS member. In case you haven't noticed, EMS is largely minority. These are the people that process you right up to employment and give you that final call, whether it be to tell you you're hired or about a hangup in hiring you.

They're not manipulating the firefighter hiring, just as they're not manipulating the EMS hiring. They're job is the same for both sides.

Trust me, if anybody was to know of something like this being pulled, they would. And knowing most of them, it wouldn't fly for a second. These are minorities handling the hiring process, the same people that you're suggesting are manipulating the hiring.

Search all you want, you, the vulcans and your "liasons" will not find anything foul.

Minorities happen to want one job more than the other and it shows in the numbers. Just as it shows in the number of interested applicants and just as it shows in the number of those scoring well enough to get hired.

You've hypothesized on a subject you know nothing about.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by myles8683 View Post
    fdnypd i dont understand the last part of your previous post. if rank order hiring is permitted why would you not get a job with fdny?
    I would be beyond the age limit by the time another hiring process came around.

Quote Originally Posted by Firehouse_Chick View Post
    You really do not know what you're talking about. This is civil service hiring, it's not run by nepotism, favoritism, oral boards, number tweaking or other manipulations, but rather....RANK ORDER. Let me educate you on how the hiring works.

I know the majority of the investigators in metrotech, most of them are minority!!! These are the people that hire the firefighters. The same people that do the hiring for EVERY EMS member. In case you haven't noticed, EMS is largely minority. These are the people that process you right up to employment and give you that final call, whether it be to tell you you're hired or about a hangup in hiring you.

They're not manipulating the firefighter hiring, just as they're not manipulating the EMS hiring. They're job is the same for both sides.

Trust me, if anybody was to know of something like this being pulled, they would. And knowing most of them, it wouldn't fly for a second. These are minorities handling the hiring process, the same people that you're suggesting are manipulating the hiring.

Search all you want, you, the vulcans and your "liasons" will not find anything foul.

Minorities happen to want one job more than the other and it shows in the numbers. Just as it shows in the number of interested applicants and just as it shows in the number of those scoring well enough to get hired.

You've hypothesized on a subject you know nothing about.
    Finally, someone with some answers to prove my ignorance in the matter. This, provided by Fire House chick, is what I was looking for. Points. Doesnt somone have a final say? Metrotech does the investigations but who or which group says yay or nay?
    Last edited by FDNYPD; 08-17-2011 at 02:11 PM.

Forum Member

Very simple question for you. What is this injustice you speak of? We can take it from there.

Have you ever taken the NYPD test? Do you realize that the written is a more difficult test?

Also, do you realize that there is no formal interviews that take place that open things up for subjectivity?

I would be beyond the age limit by the time another hiring process came around.

Finally, someone with some answers to prove my ignorance in the matter. This, provided by Fire House chick, is what I was looking for. Points. Doesnt somone have a final say? Metrotech does the investigations but who or which group says yay or nay?
    Everyone else gave you the same answers, she just happens to know people behind the scenes.

Forum Member

Simple post from a simple man
    Get used to hearing that.

You talk this way to the members now, you'll be spit out at the door should you ever be hired. He's echoing the same thing close to 11,000 other brothers will tell you.

With your thinking, you'll never fit in and you'll never be a brother with this fundamentally flawed thinking. It goes against the pride and every tradition this dept has stood for, namely MERIT.

You may want this job and even enjoy it (all by yourself). But without any fellow brothers, you'll be one useless, IGM, mutt in the firehouse and on the fireground.

Thread Information