Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 598 of 618 FirstFirst ... 98498548588595596597598599600601608 ... LastLast
Results 11,941 to 11,960 of 12347
Like Tree74Likes

Thread: Fdny List 6019

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ffbam24 View Post
    Cleared the kitchen on that one? It takes a lot more than that to do so.
    Pompous a s s.
    I don't understand the point there. Who cares why someone WANTS the job as long as they do what's necessary to get it. Does 1 person's reason for wanting it supersede someones else's? Coombs is a jackass plain and simple.

Forum Member

Default psych,medical,c-pat,ect...

spoke to my investigator yesterday, apparently we (6019) will all have to retake everything again after the written. I asked her why we have to retake all that stuff if the only new thing is the written, she said since it is a new list, that everything has to be redone. sorry for the bad news, or maybe you guys already knew this, but I just thought i would share that. it doesn't make me happy, but what about our situation does? Hope everyone has a great weekend. the quicksilver pro in long beach is back on. they had thought about canceling due to the hurricane, but they have decided to do it anyway.

Forum Member

Forum Member

Letting it smolder
    By REUVEN FENTON and CHUCK BENNETT
    Last Updated: 7:21 AM, August 26, 2011

Paul Martinka
    The judge hearing the long-running discrimination lawsuit against the FDNY tore into the city's attorney yesterday, saying almost nothing was done by department brass to address racial harassment in firehouses.
    During closing arguments in the nonjury trial -- the culmination of a four-year battle over minority hiring in the Fire Department -- Brooklyn federal court Judge Nicholas Garaufis demanded to know why the FDNY didn't do more when a black firefighter, Lanaird Granger, found a hangman's noose draped over his gear in 2005.
    "What did they do about the firefighters, except sensitivity training?" asked Garaufis, who is allowed to question attorneys during closing arguments because it is a bench trial.
    City lawyer Patricia Miller replied, "The commissioner himself decried it."
    She also said the FDNY never figured out who had put the noose there.
    "It's hard to determine who did this," she said.
    The verbal sparring came during the final arguments of the 2007 lawsuit filed by the Vulcan Society, a fraternal organization of black firefighters that is arguing that the FDNY has wrongly kept out minorities.
    The department's racial makeup is only 3 percent black in a city that is 26 percent black.
    Garaufis also blasted the department's handling of an incident in which a firefighters defaced a flier honoring black firefighters who died on 9/11.
    "Does that mean [the perpetrator] was moved to another firehouse? Was he rapped on the knuckles?" the judge asked.
    "There was no discipline. There was only education," he concluded.
    He further said it took four years to resolve a single discrimination case, making corrective action all but impossible.
    Miller replied: "I'm not going to tell you that in a staff of 16,000 people, you're not going to have incidents of people doing things that are inappropriate. But they are isolated incidents."
    Earlier in the day, Vulcan Society lawyer Levy Ratner said discrimination complaints in the FDNY are often ignored.
    "The question is: What has happened to the cases where there was no press conference, where the conduct is not as terrifying and immediate as a noose, but still retaliatory and harassing?" he said.
    Officials had also testified that the number of Fire Department personnel assigned to handle discrimination complaints had shrunk from four to two over the past five years.
    Garaufis, who did not say when he would announce his decision, has the power to order the FDNY to change the way it recruits and vets candidates and handles racism complaints.
    He has already ruled that the written tests used by the FDNY discriminated against minorities, and he barred the city from hiring new firefighters for the last three years.

Forum Member

I believe this information should follow that article, these are just some facts that were stated in court, the stuff that tends to never make the media. I wonder why..

Merit Matters Press Release - Thursday, August 18th, 2011

While testifying under oath on August 16, 2011 retired FDNY Firefighter Lanaird Granger repeated a claim about finding a noose on his gear that he had originally made in 2005. I had a letter published in the Chief-Leader newspaper on April 7, 2006 which pointed out a number of contradictory statements made by FF Granger which cast doubt on the truthfulness of that claim. To date, no person or entity has responded to my refutation of his claim which lends credibility that the refutation is truthful.

In his recent testimony - again, given under oath - Granger appeared to make another contradictory claim; a claim that is easily proven false beyond the shadow of a doubt and one that apparently attempts to take advantage of the deaths of three FDNY members and the serious injury of four others. Consider this timeline:

January 19, 2005 - Granger claims to have found the noose.

January 20, 2005 (the next day) - Granger testified he showed the noose to Vulcan President Captain Paul Washington and Lieutenant Michael Marshall. Granger stated they made the decision to delay filing a formal complaint because of the Line of Duty Deaths, referring to the Black Sunday tragedy.

January 23, 2005 - the Black Sunday tragedy occurred, three days after Granger claimed it as the reason for the delay in filing a formal complaint.

February 10, 2005 - Granger files a formal complaint. Note: there were no other FDNY Line of Duty deaths between January 19, 2005 and February 10, 2005.

February 18, 2005 - a story appearing in the Chief-Leader reported that Granger “waited for three weeks to report it (discovery of the noose) because he couldn’t decide what to do”.

August 15, 2011 - On the day before Granger’s testimony and casting further doubt on Granger’s claim as to the reason for the delay, Captain Paul Washington testified under oath that he could not recall what happened on Black Sunday. When pressed, and given some of the details of that day, he stated that he did remember some of the Bronx tragedy details but nothing about the death later that same day in Brooklyn. If Granger’s explanation for the delay is truthful it is very unlikely that Captain Washington would not be able to remember the facts of that tragic day.

Much is made of the fact that Granger’s noose claim has been substantiated but this determination is highly suspect. It was made by the FDNY EEO Unit, led at the time by Paulette Lundy, a civilian who once adamantly argued while advocating for more female firefighters that physical strength is not necessary for firefighting. In her ruling on this case she also noted that no one was identified as being directly involved in placing the noose but the motive was to retaliate against Granger for his association with the Vulcan Society. I questioned (in my April 7, 2006 letter) how she could discover a motive for an action when no one was found to have committed the action and I think for this reason, and the demonstrably false claim made by Granger recently, the investigation into this incident must be re-opened.

I also demand that an investigation be made into Granger’s possible perjury. Utilizing a potent, racially explosive symbol of terrorism in a false, misleading manner, exploiting the deaths of fellow firefighters for personal gain and lying under oath cannot go unpunished and if this is what Granger has done it must be investigated and, as Judge Garaufis has recently remarked, “let the chips fall where they may”.

Paul Mannix

President, Merit Matters

Forum Member

Default residency question

i currently live in brooklyn and have been going to school using my gi bill.i can give bank statements for the necessary time period (i dont own a credit card) and live with my family in brookly. my va home of record has been brooklyn for 2 years or more. the noe says that the department will consider other forms of residency proof. do you guys think that a letter from the va stating it on my dd214, all my bank records and stuff will be enough

Forum Member

Default residency

Quote Originally Posted by myles8683 View Post
    i currently live in brooklyn and have been going to school using my gi bill.i can give bank statements for the necessary time period (i dont own a credit card) and live with my family in brookly. my va home of record has been brooklyn for 2 years or more. the noe says that the department will consider other forms of residency proof. do you guys think that a letter from the va stating it on my dd214, all my bank records and stuff will be enough
    last go around... i provided my cellphone, bank statements and W2's and that was enough... if you dont have any other bills theres nothing else you can show... i think they would accept a notarized letter from your parents stating that you live with them and pay no bills. I know alot of government agencies accept that if you cant provide utility and rent bills.

Forum Member

Unofficially word is that 31k signed up for exam 2000 so far.

Forum Member

double post
    Last edited by myles8683; 09-06-2011 at 01:20 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by I3akdraf View Post
    Unofficially word is that 31k signed up for exam 2000 so far.
    Isnt that similiar to 6019? i know there is 9 days left but i thought i remembered reading somewhere that close to 40k sighned up for 6019. when is the city gonna accept that not everyone wants this job, that people want to do other things with theyre lives and dont find a career in firefighting as appealing as others. by going around with laptops and pressuring people to sighn up for a job in which they wouldnt have without being told to at a career fair does not breed good results nor does it help the department or city.

Forum Member

iam using my lease agreement/bankstatement and hopefully gonna get a letter from the va saying that my official residence is in the city and has been since my discharge in 2008. it says that the fdny will determine whether or not other things are acceptable. Iam and have been a city resident for more than a year unfortunaelty i opened my first credit card about 3 months ago so thats no good. however iam not gonna try not to get the 5 points i deserve as much as anyone else. what are your guys thoughts on this?

Forum Member

Try to get your hands on anything. I got my bank,cellphone, and my discharge paperwork with my address. I also even copied my birth certificate because my address has never changed. On another forum i read that someone got a notarized letter from their parents stating that there son lives at home and doesnt have bills under his name. It worked for that fire department. Also your w-2's. Those 5 points would make the difference between getting the job or not.

Forum Member

Default 6019

Guys, I was just wondering if anyone has heard anything about the final ruling? Just getting a bit antsy here... since it was due the end of August/ early this month.
    6019- was sitting at 13xx
    2000- now sitting at 18xx

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDNY-USCG View Post
    Try to get your hands on anything. I got my bank,cellphone, and my discharge paperwork with my address. I also even copied my birth certificate because my address has never changed. On another forum i read that someone got a notarized letter from their parents stating that there son lives at home and doesnt have bills under his name. It worked for that fire department. Also your w-2's. Those 5 points would make the difference between getting the job or not.
    Thanks for the info. i guess ill just use my bank statemnt,lease agreement and a notorized letter. my w-2s go to my dad florida (actuallly a 1099 cuz iam astdent on the gi bill and work off the books)

Forum Member

Default Stop the Dept of Social Justice. NOBAMA

Quote Originally Posted by My1Goal View Post
    Guys, I was just wondering if anyone has heard anything about the final ruling? Just getting a bit antsy here... since it was due the end of August/ early this month.
    Been checking on the Fed courts daily schedule and nothing is listed for the

jerks court room. Probably waiting for his instructions from DOJ in Wash DC.

Could also be waiting for the dummy test results which will more than likely have

a major impact on the final remedy. Stay safe.

Forum Member

Thanks for the info. i guess ill just use my bank statemnt,lease agreement and a notorized letter. my w-2s go to my dad florida (actuallly a 1099 cuz iam astdent on the gi bill and work off the books)

I gave a letter to CID from my bank stating what address they had on file during that time period. All I did was fax a letter to the accounts department and they mailed me a letter in return. I dont know if things are going to change the requirements.

Forum Member

Be very careful about relying on your DD214s to prove residency. Mine said that I entered the service from the city and was discharged into the city. Unfortunately, all my banking and cell phone information was forwarded to my active duty address in NJ. Because my records had my temporary NJ address and not my city address on them, they would not give me the 5 points.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jpt172 View Post
    Be very careful about relying on your DD214s to prove residency. Mine said that I entered the service from the city and was discharged into the city. Unfortunately, all my banking and cell phone information was forwarded to my active duty address in NJ. Because my records had my temporary NJ address and not my city address on them, they would not give me the 5 points.
    iam not gonna rely on my dd-214. i have a bank statement for the past 2 years at my brooklyn adress, since iam a full time student on the post 9-11 gi bill thats about it. i could probly get a letter from my registrar stating my situation as well as a letter from my uncle saying that ive been renting out a room while attending school, also my lease agreement. iam only gonna rely on my dd-214 to get the vet preference. but that does really suck they woulnt give u the points especially when i hear about how lax they were in the past

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDNYUSMC View Post
    I gave a letter to CID from my bank stating what address they had on file during that time period. All I did was fax a letter to the accounts department and they mailed me a letter in return. I dont know if things are going to change the requirements.

that was all they wanted? i was worried i would have to print out old statements then they could see the shady places ive been spending my money..haha

that was all they wanted?
    haha i wish that was all they wanted....... in addition to my monthly statements, i had to provide my tax returns, letter from my accountant, and letter from my place of employment........in the end i got to keep the 5 points though
    I should have cleaned up the chili.....why didn't I clean up the chili!!!!!!

Thread Information