Like Tree74Likes

Thread: Fdny List 6019

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by eodcheese View Post
    So I've been reading up on the CPAT, and I'm a little unclear on the step mill portion. Is it simply go to completion, or is there a limit as to your pulse rate, etc? Thanks!
    Hi EOD. The stepmill portion is the first part of the CPAT. The total time is three minutes and twenty seconds. The twenty seconds is for warm up and lets you settle in at a slower rate. The three minutes is the timed portion for the test at 60 steps/minute. No heart rate monitoring is done for the CPAT. That's later during the physical. Hope this helps.

Forum Member

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Douseit View Post
    Hi EOD. The stepmill portion is the first part of the CPAT. The total time is three minutes and twenty seconds. The twenty seconds is for warm up and lets you settle in at a slower rate. The three minutes is the timed portion for the test at 60 steps/minute. No heart rate monitoring is done for the CPAT. That's later during the physical. Hope this helps.
    Thanks Douseit, it clears it up perfectly.

FLA1786
    Firehouse.com Guest

Other states have been doing this type of training and it works for them. How is the FDNY different?
    Retard quote of the thread right here.

Is this a rhetorical question?

Forum Member

Well nameless you're close but wrong. The qualifying you are talking about is for a badge. The badges or medals/ribbons are for shooting: Marksman, Sharpshooter and Expert. As you said, "if I've been told right from my military friends." AND if you understood what they said, in the military, you get one chance to actually qualify for Sharpshooter or Expert otherwise you WILL qualify for Marksman even if you have to stay in training. AND if you do good in practice, they slap a Marksman badge on you and count it in order to get you through. So your thinking, "Its not "Oo you did good enough in practice, good job.", isn't correct. I think their thinking is, you will have a chance to sharpen your skills in Iraq. Or not.
    ok, pick apart the example for slight errors because I don't agree with you

Nameless, here's an idea, tell the DI's that their test is lame and watered down and in other parts of NYS, the practice run doesn't count and you don't want your practice run to count. Let us know what happens.
    Ok, I'd do that. If I can't do the CPAT I should probably be admitted to the hospital because I'd have something gravely wrong with me. You want me to send a letter or something? They'd probably rather here that, than someone championing the new set up.

So again, NYC has decided how they are going to run their test. Many think it's fair, some don't. It's very similar to other parts of the country. If you don't like it, don't take it.
    have you agreed with all parts of the testing process thus far?
    Last edited by nameless; 01-24-2008 at 09:44 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FLA1786 View Post
    Retard quote of the thread right here.

Is this a rhetorical question?
    Not worth a response.

Complaining about the test and physical will accomplish nothing. Getting hired under the guidelines set by the City of New York and the FDNY is all that matters. Try to post something worthwhile.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nameless View Post
    have you agreed with all parts of the testing process thus far?
    I don't have to agree with it, I have no control over it and the FDNY never asked for my input. I took it, I passed it and I will move along in the process. Stomping your foot and complaining like a little kid will accomplish nothing. You will learn this later in life.

Why don't you start a new thread about how much you hate the FDNY hiring process and leave this one for worthwhile information.

Forum Member

I don't have to agree with it, I have no control over it and the FDNY never asked for my input. I took it, I passed it and I will move along in the process. Stomping your foot and complaining like a little kid will accomplish nothing. You will learn this later in life.
    foot stomping? crying? I don't see that anywhere in here, I see discussion, no crying or foot stomping though. Perhaps you should work on your reading comprehension skills.

Why don't you start a new thread about how much you hate the FDNY hiring process and leave this one for worthwhile information.
    Maybe you didn't read the FDNY 2006 topic. Questioning the process is a long held tradition. Just because you created the thread doesn't mean you get to censor discussion in it, maybe you'll learn that later in life.

Training for the CPAT...someone care to school me on the heart rate info for the physical? Has me a bit confused after reading through the threads. Thanks in advance.
    3** on 6019

Forum Member

DouseIt, is someone monkeying around on your screen name? Youre a totally different guy tonight!

FLA1786
    Firehouse.com Guest

Not worth a response.

Complaining about the test and physical will accomplish nothing. Getting hired under the guidelines set by the City of New York and the FDNY is all that matters. Try to post something worthwhile.
    I don't think what I said had anything to do with the physical, complaining about the test, or any thing of the sort. I was just calling you out on the most ignorant statement I've ever seen.

"Other states have been doing this type of training and it works for them. How is the FDNY different?"

Tell that to skyline who moved into the city just to have a shot at the job and all the other guys like him. Tell that to the guys who give their life to the military and then move to get the job. There is a reason the written and physical were harder 4 years ago (NOW I'm complaining). 15,000 people showed up to a test. No FD in the world that pays this little compared to the cost of living could pull that kind of turnout. FDNY is the example. They actually FIGHT FIRE, unlike a lot of these little county departments who use the cpat cause thats good enough for the biannual car fire. Not everyone is upper middle class and can live in Bay Ridge, they have to make huge sacrifices just to have the CHANCE at the job. And why do SO MANY people do this? Cause the FDNY is DIFFERENT. The best FD in the world. That little question you asked that I put in quotes above, walk down to a house and ask one of the guys that question...when he stomps his foot and complains like a little kid, you can educate him how it will accomplish nothing.

There. Your question has been answered, I'm off my soap box. You, Captain America, can have your thread back.

Forum Member

No Skyline, I'm still the same guy but I'm tired of the polarization. I don't think Chief Mannix's letter did anything to help the situation either. FLA1786 is a 20 year old from Florida hoping to get on with the FDNY. He thinks, he knows what it's all about.

Quote Originally Posted by FLA1786 View Post
    This is the best compilation of all the BS I've seen/went through; and this is the best it has ever been said. I mean...this guy EMBARRASSED anyone who was pro-6019...someone on the job give him thanks (as if you guys haven't).
    Spewing this crap, will only perpetuate the problem. Nameless jumped on board and you seemed to sway that direction but followed up with, "Obviously, go and take advantage of the opportunity, but guys (and bad-*** girls), lets go in with our ***** together!"

Quote Originally Posted by SkylinePCG View Post
    Nameless, you read my mind. This is getting even MORE sickening as it muddles on.

Im thinking the kind of people who come on here are the self starter/self motivated types, and these massive crutches that are being built for the makeup of our list wont be needed by any of us here.

Obviously, go and take advantage of the opportunity, but guys (and bad-*** girls), lets go in with our ***** together!

and FLA, thanks for posting that. Great letter, should be req'd reading for anyone with even the smallest of interests in the list.
    I don't think it should be required reading. It won't change anything except cause more of a division. EOD, I know how you feel.

Quote Originally Posted by eodcheese View Post
    All the points made are valid as I saw many of the follies before, during, and now after test day. But equally frustrating for me, as a minority, is that I wonder if I will always be viewed as a shoo-in. Does everyone think that I didn't try hard, prepare as much as humanly possible, or work as hard as those of any other race.

I applied on my own from out of the city. I paid my own way to go to NYC, stay for 3 days, and take the test. I studied the test prep books, and made sure I was at the test site an hour early. I did all this while juggling my commitments as an active duty member of the military (and tested just 4 days after returning from an extremely stressful deployment to Iraq). Now, all I see is minorities being trashed and veiled insinuations that NONE of us belong on the list. I might just pass on my own "dream job" if this is the environment I can expect. I'm not asking for special favor. I'm asking for equal treatment.

Try being frustrated with everything that transpired January 20th, AND being a minority. I wonder now if when I report to the Rock, I will be viewed with nothing but suspicion if not out-right distain. All I want is a fair chance too!
    A lot of us didn't choose to be judged by the color of our skin. When I started this thread I was hoping to leave race and gender behind. The FDNY and NYC will have to come up with a program to deal with the issues on the job and in the house. It's not going to be easy but it will be done and has been done all over the country.

Skyline, what you see here isn't a guy that changed but a guy belittled and reminded of the color of his skin. When you thought I was one of the guys perhaps you may have seen me in a different light. You said, "let's go in with our ***** together", I totally agree and plan to. Let's include mind, body and spirit.

Forum Member

I am also for equal treatment but this is nto equal. Douse you said foot stomping doesn't work just ask the Vulcans who have been whining that blacks cant read as good as whites so the written should be easier (or completly done away with) or the woman groups that say its not fair to have a hard physical.. All this is BS because one group of people hold the majority in the FDNY.

Im all for equall but what part of this is equall. I'd rather be given the hardest test then take a watered down written scored on a curve(with multiple right answers I guess who that helped) and a pass/fail physical

JMO

Forum Member

What is everybody still bickering about? I could understand it 4-5 months ago when we still weren't sure if the test would even make it to a list, but that's over with. The written test is behind us and what's done is done. Now we all share the same goal and that is to get the job. Let's keep this thread upbeat with tips and suggestions as to how everybody's making out with training for the CPAT.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by johhnyboy View Post
    What is everybody still bickering about? I could understand it 4-5 months ago when we still weren't sure if the test would even make it to a list, but that's over with. The written test is behind us and what's done is done. Now we all share the same goal and that is to get the job. Let's keep this thread upbeat with tips and suggestions as to how everybody's making out with training for the CPAT.
    Agreed. We are where we are.
    Just a peon proby in the greatest job in the world; grinning ear to ear.

Forum Member

Spewing this crap, will only perpetuate the problem. Nameless jumped on board and you seemed to sway that direction but followed up with, "Obviously, go and take advantage of the opportunity, but guys (and bad-*** girls), lets go in with our ***** together!".......

Skyline, what you see here isn't a guy that changed but a guy belittled and reminded of the color of his skin. When you thought I was one of the guys perhaps you may have seen me in a different light. You said, "let's go in with our ***** together", I totally agree and plan to. Let's include mind, body and spirit.

please tell me where I brought race into this? Hell when in this thread did I bring gender into it? I only said the test was watered down, and even further diluted then most other departments.

I didn't make this about skin color or gender, but it looks like you have.

MembersZone Subscriber

I plan to stay middle of the road on the guy, girl, minority discussion. I have no problem with opinions. If I had a choice of who was saving my family, I know who I would pick. With that said, I've worked with diversity, I've had diversity training and I believe everyone should get an equal shot at a civil service job not just those privileged to go to cram courses. Just because someone doesn't possess the skill on the first or second try, does not mean they are getting a free ride. Some just don't have the geographics to allow them to have a more hands on experience. I believe that's what Randall's Island is all about. No different than Boot Camp. The military doesn't throw out the city boy over the hunting farm boy. They teach. Not everyone needs to be Superman but I hope they keep a standard and l would like to see that standard kept after the Academy.

There's no doubt that List 6019 and the introduction of it's candidates will be diverse. There will be trouble and it will be difficult assimilating this new firefighter into the FDNY. There will be tension and difficult times in the house. But for whatever reason, the City of New York has decided to open the ranks and we all know what the playing field is.
    Everything you listed above actively prevents you from ever having a safe and enjoyable job.

If we decide to continue, we all have to accept what's been decided and go the extra mile to make our job safe and enjoyable.
    My life and the lives of my brothers(as well as civilians we are sworn to protect) will be placed in greater danger thanks to fence sitters like you who don't understand the consequences of your latent paternalistic views and complacency in regards to racist patronage hiring in the city of New York.

Everyone gets a shot at these civil service jobs...how is it any one group with a certain skin color benefits over another? Explain this...you seem awfully sure of yourself that this is somehow a egalitarian improvement over the formerly unbiased and objective merit and fitness based competitive civil service hiring standards.

There will be no "assimilation" of this "new Firefighter"...they aren't going to be capable nor prepared to do this job and there will be consequences that will be felt by those who have the most to loose...the members of this dept, the poor, the immigrants, the people who are most likely to suffer from fires...minorities and firemen alike.

...ironic isn't it?

FTM-PTB

Forum Member

Everyone keeps on ripping on people who are going to be coming off of this list. Bottom line is this. If the candidate can make it through the academy than he/she IS prepared to work in the FDNY. The academy isn't just physical, people who can't pass both the written and physcial tests in the academy won't make it through. End of story. Let the academy weed them out. If the quality at the academy stays the same then so will the quality of the candidates who make it through.

-i'm not a minority either but i think it's BS how everyone who took 6019 is getting a bad rap.
    Sh*t List 6019 - 68xx's

Default Couple Real Questions

Great to see the discussion although I don't know how far we'll get talking about the whole diversity issues and whatnot. My 2 cents: This has always been an issue. Regardless of the job, if you have a workforce made up of mostly white males in a city where the population is just the opposite, of course there is going to be scrutiny and criticism (and law suits). In my opinion, I dont think the FDNY has kept minorities and women away from the job through their hiring practices, but obviously there are some that think otherwise. The FDNY has to show they are making a valient effort to diversify their workforce and they certainly were making it known when the final test numbers came out in November. But thats just recruiting... ALL applicants have to go through the same motions and ALL future probies have to go through the academy. They are not going to take any warm body, give them a set of irons and the nozzle and say go to work! One other thing is that its seems a lot of people on here are in the top 1000, which really says something. Although the test was easy in many regards, you still had to do exceptionally well to be in the top 1000. I think it means you really prepared and really focussed during the test. I would be curious to know what the demographics are of these top 1000. Anyways, congrats to everyone in the top 1000.

Just one more thing... for those of you with the application packets keep in mind to get those selective service cards and social securty earnings statements orderded NOW if you need them.
    Last edited by WetOnDaRed; 06-04-2008 at 01:24 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by SurferP View Post
    Everyone keeps on ripping on people who are going to be coming off of this list. Bottom line is this. If the candidate can make it through the academy than he/she IS prepared to work in the FDNY. The academy isn't just physical, people who can't pass both the written and physcial tests in the academy won't make it through. End of story. Let the academy weed them out. If the quality at the academy stays the same then so will the quality of the candidates who make it through.

-i'm not a minority either but i think it's BS how everyone who took 6019 is getting a bad rap.
    Bottom line is you guys who aren't on the job have no clue about the things you are commenting on.

Just because some lawsuit waiting to happen gets forced through the rock doesn't mean they are prepared to be a fireman nor capable of performing the tasks that will keep me and my brothers from seeing the inside of a pine box.

Many of you continue to act as if this isn't a problem and that someone else will take care of it. You can't be more wrong. If you are intending on taking an appointment should one be offered to you...it will become your problem...no amount of wide-eyed feel good garbage or complancency will make it better for you, your company or your family.

Either you believe in unbiased civil service hiring and true equal opportunity or you believe in racially based preferential hiring schemes, lowered standards, marginalized safety and political patronage.

Take a stand...which is it?

FTM-PTB

Forum Member

Honestly arguing here is just messing this thread up. What's done is done. If you can't be mature enough to realize that while the test had tons of flaws, but it's over and done with, you are not ready to be in the business of saving lives. Grow the f-ck up. Complaining here and now will get you nowhere. I have no pity for anyone who cries about our test. It sucked, the cpat sucks, everything sucks. It does not change a damn thing in the scoring department though. People that scored higher than you generally will have scored higher than you on any other test. If your more fit than someone else in the academy, prove it. There is plenty of time to show that you are "the man". But please, don't f-ck up this thread.

See some on you guys tomorrow morning, if anyone wants to say hi, look for the kid with short red hair.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Irish6019 View Post
    Honestly arguing here is just messing this thread up. What's done is done. If you can't be mature enough to realize that while the test had tons of flaws, but it's over and done with, you are not ready to be in the business of saving lives. Grow the f-ck up. Complaining here and now will get you nowhere. I have no pity for anyone who cries about our test. It sucked, the cpat sucks, everything sucks. It does not change a damn thing in the scoring department though. People that scored higher than you generally will have scored higher than you on any other test. If your more fit than someone else in the academy, prove it. There is plenty of time to show that you are "the man". But please, don't f-ck up this thread.

See some on you guys tomorrow morning, if anyone wants to say hi, look for the kid with short red hair.
    Guess what Queens Quiff, your entire career the fact that you came on through this list will follow you like a bad shadow. A stigma that won't ever go away...20+ years of being one of "those guys"....think about that.

I'm on the job and I'm telling you POS that you better start to give a sh*t about the other POS that will be on the firefloor with you.(or more than likely leaving you to die on the firefloor) THIS ISN'T A JOKE....Perhaps your former job waiting tables on Bell Blvd or working at some cushy wall st. office was a joke...this place isn't.

I like to see my children at the end of the tour and you 20something indifferent hairbags and your carefree...not my problem attitude is a problem.

You are in for a rough life kid. Either take a stand now or bend over and take it and like it.

Take a good long hard look in the mirror(something you overly vain prima donna's are already prone to do) Think about what is happening to this job, to standards and to this country.

Either take a side and a stand against this hijacking or accept the fact you are as racist as the vulcan society bigots.

FTM-PTB

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FFFRED View Post
    Guess what Queens Quiff, your entire career the fact that you came on through this list will follow you like a bad shadow. A stigma that won't ever go away...20+ years of being one of "those guys"....think about that.

I'm on the job and I'm telling you POS that you better start to give a sh*t about the other POS that will be on the firefloor with you.(or more than likely leaving you to die on the firefloor) THIS ISN'T A JOKE....Perhaps your former job waiting tables on Bell Blvd or working at some cushy wall st. office was a joke...this place isn't.

I like to see my children at the end of the tour and you 20something indifferent hairbags and your carefree...not my problem attitude is a problem.

You are in for a rough life kid. Either take a stand now or bend over and take it and like it.

Take a good long hard look in the mirror(something you overly vain prima donna's are already prone to do) Think about what is happening to this job, to standards and to this country.

Either take a side and a stand against this hijacking or accept the fact you are as racist as the vulcan society bigots.

FTM-PTB
    I realize now I was in no position to question the authority of anybody that's on the job now, nor will I be for many years.....I don't mean to appear confrontational either FFFRED, that's just my nature, and I realize I'll have to work on that a lot if I want to make it in FDNY.
    Last edited by johhnyboy; 11-03-2008 at 09:39 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by johhnyboy View Post
    Those are some pretty unfair assumptions you're making about him as well as the rest of us. What do you suggest us prima donna's do about our situation?
    Unfair? Life isn't fair son. This exam wasn't fair but you've now put more effort into disagreeing with me than dealing with this exam and the bigots who are rigging it in their favor.

The same thing many of us have been saying for months on end.

If you live within the 5 boros write your councilman...write your congressman as this is now a Federal issue with the justice dept suit. Call them and write them...make sure they understand that you as a resident feel this is a critical issue that must be delt with.

Furthermore do what the men did in the late 90s when the exam rules were changed and residency points added....take them to court over the same thing the bigots from the vulcans are claiming....
    illegal Racial preferences... given to others based on the color of their skin.

Call the ACLU if you can't afford a lawyer on your own.

We are unable to do anything as we have no material interest...you do.

FTM-PTB

PS- I guess times change and the "men" today would rater capitulate to this BS then stand up for the right reasons.

FLA1786
    Firehouse.com Guest

No Skyline, I'm still the same guy but I'm tired of the polarization. I don't think Chief Mannix's letter did anything to help the situation either. FLA1786 is a 20 year old from Florida hoping to get on with the FDNY. He thinks, he knows what it's all about.
    You still haven't answered or replied to anything I said. I never disrespected you or made out of line comments to you...that is what a forums is right? What does my age have to do with anything? I'm 21 and I live in Florida, but what does that mean besides I can drink and live near old people to you? You dont know where I grew up, what I've gone through or anything of the sort. I understand your frustration with the situation (believe me I do, and I'd lay down in traffic for your list number or adress). I'm not here to fight with ANYONE. You want worth while posts? Since your already looking into my forum history, read the one in FDNY '06 about working out for the dual goal of sport specific training for the CPAT and meeting/exceeding the FDNY academy PT test. That workout will allow you to ace the bridge run, PT test, and CPAT. And it will also prove that age is not a factor in what you know...much like race.

Sorry if you feel offended by my difference of opinion, and sorry if you think I'm sitting here trying to pi$s you off. I'm not gonna sit here and continue this any longer. Consider it dropped and consider me to not have a problem with you.

You should really find that post...

FLA1786
    Firehouse.com Guest

Here is the workout for all the new guys:

http://forums.firehouse.com/showpost...postcount=2243

Good luck...criticize openly...

Thread Information