Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 601 of 618 FirstFirst ... 101501551591598599600601602603604611 ... LastLast
Results 12,001 to 12,020 of 12347
Like Tree74Likes

Thread: Fdny List 6019

Forum Member

i havnt been lurking lately but i went back a page or two and havn't read any talk about the tunnel to towers run on this page. are any of you guys/gals going this year? are you running together again?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by QCFRANKC View Post
    A big difference this time will be the residency points. They will be a lot harder to fake this time around. You need to prove residency from june 30, 2010 to june 30, 2011 along with 3 proofs of residency.
    yea thats a good thing, i got lucky when i moved to brooklyn last march i didnt change my cc billing adress or debit card til later but my first statement with my bk adress is for june 15 2010- july 15 2010. if i waited longer and misssed it by a month id be so ****ed

Forum Member

Forum Member

Thumbs down Stop the Dept of Social Justice. NOBAMA

Well the City just rolled over and died in regards too the one (1) day extension

for any new applicants. We know that the City is intimidated by this jerk of

a judge, but where were they for the four (4) day extension for the parade

weekend. Next up court ordered hiring Quotas. Stay safe.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BTown View Post
    Well the City just rolled over and died in regards too the one (1) day extension

for any new applicants. We know that the City is intimidated by this jerk of

a judge, but where were they for the four (4) day extension for the parade

weekend. Next up court ordered hiring Quotas. Stay safe.
    I got a bad feeling that you're right about the quotas.

Forum Member

If that's the case they should just hire off 6019 with one of the remedies, this is complete bull ****!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bronxguy718 View Post
    If that's the case they should just hire off 6019 with one of the remedies, this is complete bull ****!
    I made this point a year ago. Now they've got 61,500 people to choose from. In Dayton, Ohio they changed the exam got the ok from the judge and DOJ, when the results came out all of a sudden the DOJ said the new exam was discriminatory.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GIMMEFIRE600 View Post
    I made this point a year ago. Now they've got 61,500 people to choose from. In Dayton, Ohio they changed the exam got the ok from the judge and DOJ, when the results came out all of a sudden the DOJ said the new exam was discriminatory.
    Yeah I guess we can pretty much concede the fact the City is not pursuing any appeal action for this list.

I agreed with that view before and I still do now. This judge has felt it necessary to include race into every single aspect of this new exam (Sgt Meyer's extension not included for everyone because it will impact minority recruitment). I find it nearly impossibly to believe he won't rule this exam discriminatory once he sees the same results on 2000 than he did on 6019

Forum Member

SEPTEMBER 30, 2011, 7:28 P.M. ET

Judge: Minority recruiting by FDNY lacking

Associated Press

NEW YORK — A federal judge says the city hasn't done enough to make sure more blacks and other minorities are recruited as firefighters.

Judge Nicholas Garaufis gave his findings Friday following a civil trial last month in Brooklyn. The Justice Department had sued on behalf a black fraternal organization.

The judge's memo says despite progress on diversity in recent recruiting, the Fire Department of New York hasn't committed enough time or resources to reverse a long history of discrimination against blacks. He's expected to spell out a remedy in a separate ruling.

The FDNY announced last month that nearly half of the people who signed up for its next exam are minorities. Currently, only about 3 percent of firefighters are black.

A city lawyer said Friday that the findings were being reviewed.

http://online.wsj.com/article/AP9027...e68dca235.html

Anybody got the court doc?

Forum Member

What else could they have done? made it illegal for non-minorities(white males) to sign up? like seriously? The recruitment video had not a single white person in it, the comissioner was recruiting at black churches, they extended the filing period for some african american day parade...What is this judge's deal man? did he have a nephew who couldn't make the cut and now hes got a beef? I mean really, if you don't want a job, then you don't want a job..you can't make someone go to work..

Laying the foundation to impose his quotas.
    Garufis, what color is the sky in your world, *******???!!!

Forum Member

like..do the citizens...and taxpayers of new york know this is going on? I mean yea sure I know that the emergency services are sort of like the rooto-rooters..you don't care or appreciate them until you need them..

but seriously..
    I don't/can't understand how the citizens of NYC would allow less then the best possible candidates to be firefighters..who will potentially save their/or their families lives..protect their properties..I mean would you want the kid who got the 2.0 gpa in medical school trying to save your life, or your kids?

This judge has a boss..obviously someone who is higher then him on the totem pole..can't someone appeal to him/her? Can't someone appeal to the govener? the president? Can't all you guys who spent hundreds of dollars, thousands even on travel, food, lodging, test prep classes, test prep books, gym memberships, supplements, lasik, background investigations, gas to drive all over the place to get the needed documents sue the vulcans? or this judge? or the city?

You know, I went to test at a department just south of me, and things didn't turn out, it was only my 3rd test, but I didn't make the cut, again and I was doubting my path, like maybe I should give up on the pipe dream and go after something more realistic. I mean seriously, 1 in 50,000 what are the odds? on my way home, as I was running all this through my head, I looked up at an overpass, and someone wrote in graffiti "don't give up" , that was the same day I read a newspaper that the FDNY filing period would open up shortly.

I seriously couldn't imagine not being able to at least try to succeed...I'm unemployed and I opted to not choose the fee waiver route because I didn't want an unfair advantage.

getting agrivated.

Forum Member

And, isn't this The United States of America? Land of the free..like if someone dosen't want to be a fire fighter then obviously they don't want to..let them make that choice not a judge..this isn't a communist government, or a dictatorship..seriously

Forum Member

More oversight looms for FDNY after minority concerns

By MITCHEL MADDUX

Last Updated: 9:52 PM, September 30, 2011

Posted: 9:33 PM, September 30, 2011
    More Print

A federal judge today suggested that broader judicial oversight of New York City's fire department may be necessary to assure that minority firefighters are fairly treated.

Brooklyn federal Judge Nicholas Garaufis released his findings after presiding over a special trial focusing on the issue, concluding that the Vulcan Society - an organization representing the city's black firefighters - largely had proven their claims that minorities trying to become firefighters suffer disadvantages that go beyond the applicant testing process.

Although the judge plans to issue a second decision outlining specific remedies for these problems in the near future, the decision suggests that broader oversight of the nation's largest fire department is already in the cards.

"The court cannot adequately ensure the city’s compliance with applicable equal employment opportunity laws and policies...in the absence of court supervision," the judge wrote.

The findings clear the way for the possible appointment of a special court-appointed monitor to oversee all aspects of hiring, training, and promotion practices for new firefighters at the city's fire department.

The judge's opinion comes just two months after ranking department brass testified at the special bench trial, which focused on how the FDNY can attract more minority applicants to an agency overwhelmingly staffed by white firefighters.

A "formal recruitment program" is necessary, the judge wrote, in an analytical 80-page opinion that faulted the city for doing too little and devoting too few resources to address the longstanding problem.

"The court finds...that the under-representation of black firefighters in the FDNY — a direct result and vestige of the city’s pattern and practice of discrimination against black firefighter candidates — is responsible for making blacks significantly less likely to apply to become New York City firefighters," the judge wrote.

Garaufis said that FDNY and city officials had tried to downplay problem, saying "the city’s culture of bureaucratic blame-shifting and accountability avoidance [shows]...that the city does not want to be held accountable for the results of its recruitment efforts. This is unacceptable."

The judge's written findings draw heavily from the August hearings, which included testimony about several racist incidents at city fire stations.

Other damaging charges this summer highlighted the dominance of "old boy network" connections in FDNY's hiring practices, where friends, relatives, or neighbors were favored over minority applicants without inside Fire Department connections.

Garaufis addressed these allegations, saying that FDNY must "change the perception that the job is available only to white male candidates."

City officials said they were not pleased with the judge's conclusions.

"We respectfully disagree with some of the court's findings and are continuing to study this lengthy 81-page decision. The next steps the City will take depend on what the judge's subsequent rulings are regarding remedial steps," said Georgia Pestana, a city attorney.

The judge's opinion is yet another development stemming from a 2007 lawsuit filed against the fire department by the US Justice Department, with the aim of forcing the city to hire more minorities at an agency where white men make up 93 percent of the 11,000 firefighters in its ranks.

Garaufis has ruled previously that the FDNY's entrance test unfairly discriminates against black and Hispanic applicants.

Mary Jo White, the former Manhattan US attorney appointed as a special master to create a new FDNY entrance exam, said in a separate report today that her efforts to create an entrance test that's more fair are proceeding on schedule for early 2012.

City officials say their efforts to redress the imbalance in the FDNY's ranks has been paying off, as they focused recruitment efforts on New York's neighborhoods with diverse populations.

Roughly half of the applicants who want to take the city's upcoming firefighter exam are minorities, city officials say, and the judge acknowledged that such numbers are record-breaking.

mmaddux@nypost.com

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/b...#ixzz1ZUhhSAyQ

Forum Member

Default Stop the Dept of Social Justice. NOBAMA

Its about time the City step up too the plate and grow a couple. This BS from

this so called law enforcer is really getting out of control. The FDNY has not

hired in what (3) years now and the OT costs must be be out of control. Happy

for the guys on the job but how much longer can this go on. File a appeal,

state the facts and see what happens. Stay safe.

Time to start getting your ducks in a row with regards to appeals and a counter suit guys....stay in contact with Chief Mannix....this should be nowhere near the end. Its bigger than just you vs them now.
    Proud East Coast Traditionalist.

Forum Member

I thought no one was allowed to appeal (since no one on "our" side was granted intervenor status by Goofus) other than the City of New York?

And I'll bet my bottom dollar the city will not appeal since that has to start with Bloomberg. Only way he'll ever authorize an appeal (expenditure) to "help save the department" is after he's broken the FDNY's two unions and ground the remaining pieces into dust a la Wisconsin and other places where unions are already on the ropes.

Quote Originally Posted by Waiting4Months View Post
    I thought no one was allowed to appeal (since no one on "our" side was granted intervenor status by Goofus) other than the City of New York?

And I'll bet my bottom dollar the city will not appeal since that has to start with Bloomberg. Only way he'll ever authorize an appeal (expenditure) to "help save the department" is after he's broken the FDNY's two unions and ground the remaining pieces into dust a la Wisconsin and other places where unions are already on the ropes.
    Lolwut? .
    Proud East Coast Traditionalist.

Forum Member

JMO. it's happening nationwide. Why wouldn't bloomy want it in ny?

Forum Member

Default Stop the Dept of Social Justice. NOBAMA

How long before the FDNY is forced to give away jobs too people who really

don't want them. Remember what happened in the home mortgage market?

People were given home loans and the bank knew that these people could no

way in hell ever pay them back. But because the Gov said you had to give

these loans we all know what happened and now credit worthy people

cannot get any type of loans no matter how many hoops they jump through.

Now they want to give jobs to people who really don't want them and only

take them because of the courts involvement. Years ago here in Boston as

I have said before many qualified candidates were denied employment

because they were white. Some of the people hired here could not pass

drill school and were not allowed to move onto the job. After about a

year or so went by they appealed their dismissal before the Civil Service

Commission and because of their gender or race were reinstated with full

back pay as well as seniority. Do you really think that the FDNY will stand

by and let this happen. IMO I think not. Stay safe.

Thread Information