Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 605 of 618 FirstFirst ... 105505555595602603604605606607608615 ... LastLast
Results 12,081 to 12,100 of 12347
Like Tree74Likes

Thread: Fdny List 6019

Forum Member

Default Court Update

The City Goes Back to Federal Court Over the FDNY
    By Steven Thrasher Thu., Oct. 20 2011 at 5:52 PM
    Categories: FDNY, Follow-Up, Race, Steven Thrasher
    0digg

HosedThumb.png
    ​The City of New York was back in United States District Judge Nicholas Garaufis' courtroom today, just a few weeks after the judge issued a blistering order calling the FDNY "a bastion of white male privilege."

Garaufis's order mandated that the FDNY and the city will be placed under a "Court Monitor" for the next decade or so, in an attempt to force the city to diversify the fire department and bring it into compliance with Title VII of the Civil Rights Act. The parties were in court today to begin the process of selecting who that Court Monitor will be, and to touch base on how progress is coming on creating the next firefighter exam which will be given in January.

In the past year we've been going to these hearings, the composition of the gallery has changed. There is more press now. The proceedings have gotten more technical, and the city has basically lost its case. Gone from the audience are the members of the "limbo class" we profiled last year, who will have to re-take the new exam.

The first conflict came up in court when the two sides chimed in on the draft order Garaufis had ordered earlier this month. Although the order speaks pretty broadly towards the discrimination blacks and Hispanics have faced in the FDNY, in one paragraph, the judge had written specifically about the "disparate impact" of blacks only. The United States government asked Garaufis to add Hispanics there, and the city -- as they have done at pretty much every stage -- said there wasn't discrimination towards Hispanics in terms of "disparat impact" and asked the judge to leave it as he wrote it.

He seemed to be siding with the city on what he'd written, but said he would "clarify" that paragraph and that he'd "take a closer look at it."

When it moved on to the issue of who would be the Court Monitor, Garaufis thanked both sides for submitting nominees, all of whom he stressed were well qualified.

"Unfortunately, but not surprisingly," he said, almost sighing, the parties had not suggested any of the same people. "It's troubling that you all were not able to embrace one or two candidates unanimously, but I will deal with that," he chided, telling either party to make objections they had about the other side's nominees by October 25th.

The issues of potential back pay for a sub-class of the lawsuit, as well as progress on the upcoming written exam (which will actually be computer based for the first time) were glossed over. Garaufis and the attorneys for the United States, the Vulcan Society and the city all seemed ready to call it a day when John Coombs, the President of the Vulcan Society, raised his hand without his lawyer, Ricahrd Levy, seeing it.

Quizzically, the droll Garauifis said, "Mr. Levy, your client has his hand raised!"

Coombs tried to speak to the judge directly, who advised him to say it through his lawyer. After an awkward and highly unusual whispered discussion about this, Levy relented and said that, while he didn't think it was necessary, if the judge had a few minutes, Coombs had something he really wanted to say.

"I'm here for life," Garaufis responded, "so I've got the time."

Coombs stood up and gave an impassioned plea that Lyndelle Philips, the city's Equal Employment Officer for the FDNY, should be allowed to stay in her job until a Court Monitor is in place. Coombs implied that Philips had been put out to pasture by the city just days after (and, from Coomb's inference, because of) Garaufis' draft order. With heartfelt words, Coombs said a Court Master shouldn't start with a new EEO point person, and he said in so many words that her removal was just another act of obstruction on the city's party. He called for an immediate injunction to keep Philips in her job.

Garaufis thanked Coombs for the unorthodox address to the court and denied his request, but said that the Court Monitor could debrief Philips as needed, even if she were no longer in her job.

When court was adjourned, no further hearings were scheduled.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GIMMEFIRE600 View Post
    The City Goes Back to Federal Court Over the FDNY
    By Steven Thrasher Thu., Oct. 20 2011 at 5:52 PM
    Categories: FDNY, Follow-Up, Race, Steven Thrasher
    0digg

HosedThumb.png
    ​The City of New York was back in United States District Judge Nicholas Garaufis' courtroom today, just a few weeks after the judge issued a blistering order calling the FDNY "a bastion of white male privilege."

Garaufis's order mandated that the FDNY and the city will be placed under a "Court Monitor" for the next decade or so, in an attempt to force the city to diversify the fire department and bring it into compliance with Title VII of the Civil Rights Act. The parties were in court today to begin the process of selecting who that Court Monitor will be, and to touch base on how progress is coming on creating the next firefighter exam which will be given in January.

In the past year we've been going to these hearings, the composition of the gallery has changed. There is more press now. The proceedings have gotten more technical, and the city has basically lost its case. Gone from the audience are the members of the "limbo class" we profiled last year, who will have to re-take the new exam.

The first conflict came up in court when the two sides chimed in on the draft order Garaufis had ordered earlier this month. Although the order speaks pretty broadly towards the discrimination blacks and Hispanics have faced in the FDNY, in one paragraph, the judge had written specifically about the "disparate impact" of blacks only. The United States government asked Garaufis to add Hispanics there, and the city -- as they have done at pretty much every stage -- said there wasn't discrimination towards Hispanics in terms of "disparat impact" and asked the judge to leave it as he wrote it.

He seemed to be siding with the city on what he'd written, but said he would "clarify" that paragraph and that he'd "take a closer look at it."

When it moved on to the issue of who would be the Court Monitor, Garaufis thanked both sides for submitting nominees, all of whom he stressed were well qualified.

"Unfortunately, but not surprisingly," he said, almost sighing, the parties had not suggested any of the same people. "It's troubling that you all were not able to embrace one or two candidates unanimously, but I will deal with that," he chided, telling either party to make objections they had about the other side's nominees by October 25th.

The issues of potential back pay for a sub-class of the lawsuit, as well as progress on the upcoming written exam (which will actually be computer based for the first time) were glossed over. Garaufis and the attorneys for the United States, the Vulcan Society and the city all seemed ready to call it a day when John Coombs, the President of the Vulcan Society, raised his hand without his lawyer, Ricahrd Levy, seeing it.

Quizzically, the droll Garauifis said, "Mr. Levy, your client has his hand raised!"

Coombs tried to speak to the judge directly, who advised him to say it through his lawyer. After an awkward and highly unusual whispered discussion about this, Levy relented and said that, while he didn't think it was necessary, if the judge had a few minutes, Coombs had something he really wanted to say.

"I'm here for life," Garaufis responded, "so I've got the time."

Coombs stood up and gave an impassioned plea that Lyndelle Philips, the city's Equal Employment Officer for the FDNY, should be allowed to stay in her job until a Court Monitor is in place. Coombs implied that Philips had been put out to pasture by the city just days after (and, from Coomb's inference, because of) Garaufis' draft order. With heartfelt words, Coombs said a Court Master shouldn't start with a new EEO point person, and he said in so many words that her removal was just another act of obstruction on the city's party. He called for an immediate injunction to keep Philips in her job.

Garaufis thanked Coombs for the unorthodox address to the court and denied his request, but said that the Court Monitor could debrief Philips as needed, even if she were no longer in her job.

When court was adjourned, no further hearings were scheduled.
    I feel like we are so screwed...

Forum Member

wow...coombs is such a champion of the people...dickhead

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by remoray229 View Post
    wow...coombs is such a champion of the people...dickhead
    Couldn't have said it better myself. If this dickhead is standing up for someone then she should automatically be disqualified from her position. You know there's some type of relationship there.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by vekdoggs75 View Post
    Couldn't have said it better myself. If this dickhead is standing up for someone then she should automatically be disqualified from her position. You know there's some type of relationship there.
    Shes yet another African American "Casualty" of Coombs' "war"

Forum Member

City asks judge for two-month delay on firefighter exams

By MITCHEL MADDUX

Last Updated: 4:03 PM, October 26, 2011

Posted: 4:02 PM, October 26, 2011
    More Print

New York City today asked a federal judge to delay the administration of upcoming firefighter entrance exams by nearly two months, partly out of concern for potential cheating.

City officials want the judge's permission to push back the testing process for aspiring FDNY firefighters from early January to either late February or March, which would allow consultants more time to develop a test that guards against plagiarism and is more fair.

Michael Cardozo, the city's chief attorney, explained in a letter to the judge that more time to further refine the test would "better ensure the integrity and security of the test."

"Given the unprecedented number of people who have applied to take the test - more than 60,000 - and the fact that the test will be administered over a nearly five week period," Cardozo wrote, "it is advisable to create additional equivalent test forms."

The city says experts helping it devise the test have proposed creating "questions which can be combined many different ways so that the delivery of questions is randomized," Cardozo wrote.

Brooklyn federal Judge Nicholas Garaufis, who is overseeing the the FDNY's hiring efforts after a Justice Department lawsuit, has not yet ruled on the city's request.

But the issue of plagiarism arose this summer when the judge held a special bench trial about hiring practices at the nation's largest fire department.

Michele Maglione, the FDNY's assistant commissioner for recruitment and diversity, testified in Brooklyn federal court that she had alerted her superiors in writing after the fire department's 2007 firefighter test that "complaints of cheating were widespread and from all five boroughs."

After informing department superiors about the cheating allegations, Maglione testified that she never saw a mobilized response to address the issue.

Her testimony in August incensed the judge, who said he was incredulous about the demonstrable lack of concern about the issue from FDNY brass.

"There was no response? It's somewhat disturbing to the court. If ever I got a memo like this, I'd jump out of my skin," the judge said to Maglione during the hearing.

Three weeks ago, Garaufis ruled that broader judicial oversight of the FDNY is needed because of the city’s “pattern and practice of discrimination against black firefighter candidates,” as well as minorities already working for it.

He has been interviewing candidates to serve as a special monitor to oversee the fire department for as many as 10 years.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/c...#ixzz1bv7mgtJa

Forum Member

*SIGH*

But I guess this is to be expected. I straight up asked the lady on the twitter page once how the integrity of the test is to be protected. She replied back that she couldn't answer that, and referred me to ask DCAS. I didn't ever bother with them...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by roadrunner09 View Post
    *SIGH*

But I guess this is to be expected. I straight up asked the lady on the twitter page once how the integrity of the test is to be protected. She replied back that she couldn't answer that, and referred me to ask DCAS. I didn't ever bother with them...
    That woman just gives out the most basic information from what I noticed. Her head must be spinning by the end of the day with those questions on there. Like 90 percent of the questions are "Can I still apply" or "Can I transfer since Im a FF in Norway" etc....

As for the exam being postponed, I'm not shocked whatsoever. I feel like we get a boot in our *** every time a piece of news breaks.

Forum Member

Dear Firefighter Applicant:

This notice is to inform you of a change in the test dates for Firefighter, Exam No. 2000 and Promotion to Firefighter, Exam No. 2500. Testing is no longer scheduled to occur between January 3, 2012 and February 3, 2012. Instead, test administration will begin in late February or March 2012 and run for a four- to five-week period.

You will be assigned a test date and time at one of a number of testing centers located in the New York City area. You should receive an Admission Notice in the mail by January 27, 2012 assigning you to a specific test date, time and testing center. Subject to availability of open dates and locations, you will be able to reschedule your test date to another date within the testing period and/or to select a different testing center after you receive your Admission Notice. Instructions for rescheduling your test date, time or location will be included in the Admission Notice.

If you do not receive your Admission Notice by January 27th, you should email PSI Services LLC ("PSI") at fdnyschedule@psionline.com with your full name and social security number to obtain your duplicate Admission Notice. The duplicate Admission Notice will be emailed to you within 4 business days of receipt of your email.. If you do not have an email account, you may call PSI at 1-800-701-0289 beginning February 4th to obtain a duplicate Admission Notice. Please be prepared to provide your full name and social security number when you call PSI.

Before you take the exam, you will have the opportunity to view a computer-based tutorial so that you are familiar with computer-based testing and the various question types. The tutorial is expected to be available for viewing on the DCAS website at http://www.nyc.gov/html/dcas/html/em...t/employ.shtml by January 11, 2012. You are encouraged to view the tutorial.

more waiting. =(

Forum Member

When's the next one, anyone know?

Forum Member

bump. I was just thinking about how bad that judge screwed us. Just cant believe he has so much power. When will the city appeal?

Forum Member

The fifth of Nevruary?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LongCut View Post
    bump. I was just thinking about how bad that judge screwed us. Just cant believe he has so much power. When will the city appeal?

Former federal prosecutor Mark S. Cohen appointed to oversee FDNY’s minority recruiting efforts
    Picked to help correct decades of discrimination in the fire department
    BY John Marzulli
    NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Wednesday, November 9 2011, 2:46 PM

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...#ixzz1dKCcLvpU

A BROOKLYN judge took the first step toward reshaping the racial makeup of the mostly white FDNY with the appointment Wednesday of a former federal prosecutor as a monitor to oversee top-to-bottom changes in the way minorities are recruited and hired.

Mark Cohen, a white collar litigator with the Manhattan firm Cohen & Gresser, was tapped for the powerful post by Federal Judge Nicholas Garaufis, who has previously ruled the FDNY systematically discriminated against black and Hispanic applicants for decades.

The U.S. Justice Department filed suit against the FDNY in 2007 during the Bush administration, and Garaufis later threw out the results of two prior written exams. A new test is being prepared under the judge’s supervision and will be administered early next year with a record number of minorities signed up.

Cohen’s name was not proposed by the Vulcan Society of black firefighters, the city Law Department or the Justice Department which had submitted possible candidates.

Instead, the judge selected Cohen, noting in his order that neither the city nor the feds had objected to his candidacy.

A city source pointed out that Garaufis’ past ties to the Queens borough president’s office may have played a role in the choice. Lawrence Gresser, who is of counsel to Cohen's law firm, was a deputy borough president under disgraced beep Donald Manes. Garaufis served for nine years as counsel to Manes' successor Claire Shulman.

Gresser, who is married to former Queens Board of Education representative Carol Gresser, did not return a call.

"The judge felt he (Cohen) would be a good monitor and we trust his judgment and we also expect the city will fully cooperate with Mr. Cohen," said lawyer Darius Charney who represents the Vulcan Society in the suit.

The city vowed to appeal the appointment of any monitor for the FDNY.

"As the Court noted, the city had no objection to Mr. Cohen's candidacy for appointment," the city's chief labor lawyer Georgia Pestana said in a statement.

"However, the city does not agree that any monitor is warranted. We will be appealing the partial judgment and remedia order as soon as that order has been entered, which the court has indicated is forthcoming."

Cohen issued a statement saying he was "honored" by the appointment. "My firm and I look forward to working on behalf of the Court and with all the other parties," he said.

Cohen's legal colleagues say he's up to the challenge of effecting change in the 93% white FDNY even if he's not welcome there.

"He will be fair but tough and represents a great choice for this important engagement," said Jim Walden, a former federal prosecutor in the Brooklyn U.S. Attorney's office.

Mark Kirsch, another former prosecutor called Cohen "extremely diligent, competent and public spirited."

Cohen will be paid by the city and the judge instructed both sides to discuss the terms. As the court's monitor, he will also be responsible for overhauling the procedures for investigating discrimination complaints.

During the five years he served in the U.S. Attorney's office in the 1990s, Cohen was on the prosecution team that convicted Bonanno hit man Thomas (Tommy Karate) Pitera of multiple murders.

The city vowed to appeal the appointment of a monitor.

"As the Court noted, the city had no objection to Mr. Cohen's candidacy for appointment,” the city’s chief labor lawyer, Georgia Pestana, said in a statement.

“However, the city does not agree that any monitor is warranted. We will be appealing the partial judgment and remedial order as soon as that order has been entered, which the court has indicated is forthcoming."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...#ixzz1dK2oeJbb

Forum Member

"The city vowed to appeal the appointment of a monitor."

Yes I BELIEVE IT!!!

Just like they vowed to appeal the 6019 ruling.
    What else is the city vowing??

What a Joke.
    Last edited by QCFRANKC; 11-11-2011 at 06:55 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by QCFRANKC View Post
    "The city vowed to appeal the appointment of a monitor."

Yes I BELIEVE IT!!!

Just like they vowed to appeal the 6019 ruling.
    What else is the city vowing??

What a Joke.
    Exactly my point.

Forum Member

Post Apartment Rental

Hey guys, if you are looking to move to an apartment in the bronx, let me know. My old landlord is looking for good tenants and the place is great. Ground floor, huge, 2 bathrooms, fireplace, overlooks city island and is on a marina, the rent wasn't to bad when I was there, its a two bedroom. Send me a PM if interested.

Forum Member

Hey Merrit I sent you a pm

Forum Member

Forum Member

great article,

here is where i think the department may have a discrepancy with the new residency requirements. after contacting dcas and telling them that i have all the paper work necessary for residency credits because i lived in bk for 2 and a half years iam going back to long island. so if they sent an investigator to my residency adress to investigate i will not be there .

Forum Member

i know some of you guys have been through this before so i have a question. when you hand in your residency requirements do you just hand in a folder of stuff? also with the veteran requirement its just a dd-214 correct?

Thread Information