Like Tree74Likes

Thread: Fdny List 6019

Forum Member

Default NY POST Opinion

Begone, Garaufis

Last Updated: 6:44 AM, January 21, 2012

Posted: January 21, 2012

It’s about time.

The Bloomberg administration has demanded that federal Judge Nicholas Garaufis be removed from the ongoing lawsuit over the Fire Department’s hiring practices.

That lawsuit, says the city, “began as a narrow challenge” to two application exams — but has “been misused” by Garaufis to mount “an unjustified takeover” of the FDNY’s hiring structure.

“Along the way,” writes Corporation Counsel Michael Cardozo in a 139-page filing, Garaufis “lost any semblance of neutrality.”

Indeed, he writes, the “vehemence” of Garaufis’ insistence — in the face of all available evidence — that the city deliberately discriminated against minority candidates raises “substantial doubt” on his ability to fairly continue hearing the case.

Which is putting it mildly.

Clearly the city has finally had it with King Nicholas’ imperious insistence on being not only judge, but also prosecutor and jury, in the Vulcan Society’s 2007 lawsuit.

The only mystery here is why City Hall waited so long — when the record of Garaufis’ bias and irrational behavior has been abundantly clear.

Not to mention his blatant personal grudge against top city officials, particularly Mayor Bloomberg and Fire Commissioner Sal Cassano.

Virtually from the outset, the city says, Garaufis was “bound and determined” to impose “closely supervised ‘top-to-bottom’” court oversight of the FDNY. When the city presented evidence to refute the need for that, he “excluded, struck or ignored it.” When the other side’s evidence fell short, he “found a way to excuse or fix it.”

Typical of Garaufis’ vindictiveness was his personal selection of former Manhattan DA Robert Morgenthau as a special master to oversee the FDNY’s application exams.

Morgenthau, the city noted, “had a long, acrimonious and well-known history of conflict with many city officials directly involved in this case” — which would’ve “created widespread public speculation of partiality.”

Given his “vituperative tone and content,” the city charges, Garaufis “would have adhered to his choice” had Morgenthau not withdrawn after widespread criticism.

Perhaps most troubling is Cardozo’s compilation of Garaufis’ “preoccupation with press coverage” — especially coverage “he perceived as being critical of him.” (If this page provided some of his agita, we couldn’t be happier.)

He’s repeatedly complained about Bloomberg and Cardozo “attacking the court . . . instead of just saying we disagree.”

He even asked Cassano “what steps he would take” if FDNY officials wrote “columns in the newspaper” that “criticized the [court] process” — i.e., Garaufis.

Garaufis long ago lost his moral grasp on this case — by losing control of himself.

His is no more a neutral, impartial party to the proceeding than is the Vulcan Society itself.

But he is supposed to be the judge.

The city has presented a compelling case for his replacement. Here’s hoping the 2nd US Circuit Court of Appeals agrees.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/opinion...#ixzz1k6FR1FVd

Forum Member

That almost sounds too good to be true....in this case it def has to be.

Forum Member

Hey guys. Just sharing some information.......a firefighter buddy randomly texted me " hey I hear they may reinstate your list with the appeal, have you heard anything about that". For what it's worth he was down at metro tech and heard other firefighters saying that.... Didnt come from any chief or any higher authority. But we do have 5 months left on the list...... And they certaintly can extend the list...

If gaurafis gets off the case. Why wouldn't the city try and hire us???. All we would have to do is retake the medical. It would shive it right up the judge and vulcans ***.

Forum Member

Default Strong editorial from the NYDN

Burned by judge on FDNY, city fires back in court Accuses Nicholas Garaufis of bias in imposing federal overseer Comments NEW YORK DAILY NEWS Tuesday, January 24 2012, 4:10 AM The Bloomberg administration has taken the radical — and necessary — step of accusing a federal judge of out-and-out bias in his rulings on alleged racial discrimination in Fire Department hiring. The charge is well-grounded. Because Brooklyn Federal Judge Nicholas Garaufis overstepped his role as an impartial arbiter — in effect exceeding even the city’s opponents as an advocate. Most seriously, Garaufis took a case that was supposed to decide whether two decade-old fire hiring exams impermissibly disadvantaged blacks and exploded the matter into a wholesale takeover of the department’s personnel policies. Along the way, Garaufis outrageously concluded that the city had intentionally discriminated to maintain the FDNY as a “bastion of white male privilege,” never mind that the contrary truth stared him in the face. Never mind that the city hired a top testing expert to draw new exams in the hope the exams would be fair to all. Never mind that the city spent millions of dollars a year to recruit blacks and Hispanics to take the exam, to provide test prep and tutoring and to encourage applicants to complete a hiring process that can take years. Never mind that the city created a special high school in East New York, Brooklyn, that provided its 99% minority student body with firefighter and emergency medical technician training. Never mind that the city retained Columbia University experts to help increase diversity. Never mind that the city gave hiring preference to applicants from the Emergency Medical Service, an agency with substantial minority ranks. Never mind that the city’s efforts sharply increased minority applications, minority representation on the hiring list and minority hiring itself. None of that was good enough for Garaufis, who wanted to force greater representation of blacks in the FDNY immediately — if need be, through quotalike hiring. Rather than limit himself to overseeing the formulation of a new test, which will be administered next month, Garaufis launched, on his own supposed authority, a sweeping courtroom examination of FDNY personnel practices. Complete with calling his own witnesses and presenting his own purported evidence. Personally ordering Commissioner Sal Cassano onto the witness stand, Garaufis conducted a cross-examination that veered into the bizarre. To bolster his belief that the FDNY had unfairly deprived its equal employment opportunity office of resources, he told Cassano he had seen a fender-bender on the Brooklyn-Queens Expressway involving an FDNY Prius, asserted that the car was being used for commuting and demanded to know why EEO staff had to share vehicles. Garaufis also showed Cassano a printout the judge got from the department’s website of Medal Day 2011 and grilled Cassano as to why so many of the honorees were from firefighter families and whether any high-ranking officials, like those pictured on the website, were black. The evidence is indisputable that Garaufis has wielded his gavel like a sledgehammer to enforce preconceptions. The U.S. Court of Appeals must remove the weapon from his hand.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DC33017 View Post
    Hey guys. Just sharing some information.......a firefighter buddy randomly texted me " hey I hear they may reinstate your list with the appeal, have you heard anything about that". For what it's worth he was down at metro tech and heard other firefighters saying that.... Didnt come from any chief or any higher authority. But we do have 5 months left on the list...... And they certainly can extend the list...

If gaurafis gets off the case. Why wouldn't the city try and hire us???. All we would have to do is retake the medical. It would shive it right up the judge and vulcans ***.
    Hopefully the appeals court will just toss the whole case, but from my understanding, they can order a new trial and send it back down to district court. In the event the latter occurs, I believe the city would be able to conduct business as usual, i.e. use 6019 to hire, while the new trial gets under way. I would like to think the city would want to use 6019 just to spite the Vulcan's and Garaufis, in essence showing them there was nothing wrong with their exam.

Also, this appeals process should play out much faster than the district court case has. The city was granted an expedited appeal last month, which allowed them to file their brief quickly. The vulcans must respond to the city by March 2, and then I believe the city has another month(might even only be two weeks) to respond to the vulcans response. At that point the appeals court will choose three judges who can either rule on the briefs alone or grant the vulcans or the city the right to argue the case orally, which supposedly if allowed, is not a long process.

All in all, if I understood everything correctly, we should know the outcome around the summer, hopefully no later than fall. This is just me speculating, we all know this a complicated case, so things can surely drag, but the expedited appeals process seems to be no joke.
    Last edited by GIMMEFIRE600; 01-24-2012 at 07:28 AM.

Forum Member

Someone said it on here a long time ago....6019 will never die, always breathing!

Forum Member

I am amazed by this. I never thought they'd actually appeal. I'm impressed although I won't get too excited unless this all works out in our favor. It'd be pretty awesome indeed if they picked up and used our list again.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Waiting4Months View Post
    I am amazed by this. I never thought they'd actually appeal. I'm impressed although I won't get too excited unless this all works out in our favor. It'd be pretty awesome indeed if they picked up and used our list again.
    I just read the Merit Matters Brief that was filed in Court. Those guys and especially the law firm should be thanked big time by every FF and applicant because that was unbelievable. I strongly recommend everybody to read it at some point.

Forum Member

Hey veks I went to their site, but when I clicked on the link, it wasn't available. If you have the text would you mind posting it? Thanks!

Forum Member

Hey veks I went to their site, but when I clicked on the link, it wasn't available. If you have the text would you mind posting it? Thanks!
    Yeah it didn't work for me either.....I have it as a saved PDF but it's like 30+ pages. I could prob email it to that 6019 email and maybe he can shoot it out? Let me know.

Forum Member

Yeah man, please do!

Forum Member

Yeah man, please do!
    What's the email again? I cleared my Inbox like a month ago.

Forum Member

im happy and thankful that hopefully the right thing will happen for us. I have a feeling it will.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by vekdoggs75 View Post
    Yeah it didn't work for me either.....I have it as a saved PDF but it's like 30+ pages. I could prob email it to that 6019 email and maybe he can shoot it out? Let me know.

working link can for Amicus Curiae can be found here:

http://www.sullivangalleshaw.com/fdny.html

Forum Member

Great story in the Buffalo Times. Good news for 12 (WHITE) firefighters, who all have earned their

new positions. Keep the faith. Stay strong. ABO

Forum Member

Friday, February 10, 2012
    Is Judge Nicholas Garaufis Hangin’ Ten?

Merit Matters Press Release

February 10, 2012

Is Judge Nicholas Garaufis hangin’ ten?

(This Release is a continuation of and builds on our Press Release issued December 2, 2011 which is available on our website)

It’s nice to have friends. It’s even nicer to go to Hawaii with them, which is what Nicholas Garaufis was scheduled to do between February 4th and 11th when the Federal Bar Council will be holding their Winter Bench and Bar Conference. If he does not want to surf he can always schedule a massage with a Polynesian coconut scrub, or attend the Dazzling Disco Dance reception or participate in the Tennis Social.

One of the goals of the FBC is to promote fellowship among Federal practitioners within the Second Circuit Court of Appeals- in other words, to promote companionship and comradeship characteristic of group solidarity. Hmmm. Sounds a bit like some sort of “stubborn bastion of privilege”. Considering that Mr. Garaufis serves on the Planning Committee for this Conference he must be aware of its goals.

As chance would have it, Lawrence T. Gresser also serves on this Planning Committee. He of the law firm Cohen and Gresser, the “Cohen” part of which was chosen by Mr. Garaufis to be the Special Monitor for the FDNY although the Vulcan Society objected to his appointment.

One of Cohen and Gresser’s lawyers, Thomas E. Bezanson, is a FBC Board Member. So is Mary Beth Hogan, who works at Debevoise and Plimpton. Now why does that firm ring a bell? Oh, that’s right- that’s where Special Master Mary Jo White works. Mr. Garaufis appointed her to oversee the development of the next FDNY entry test.

This firm recently made a substantial monetary tax deductible (thank you very much) contribution to the Federal Bar Foundation, a 501(c) (3) corporation that funds many of the activities of the FBC. Guess who else did? That’s right- Cohen and Gresser.

It’s nice to see friends helping friends, and fellowship being promoted. Mr. Garaufis also engages in this activity with the Hellenic Lawyers Association where he serves as an Honorary Board Member and whose goals include strengthening the professional and social ties among members. His nomination to the Federal bench was non-controversial in part because he was described as having good relationships with Republican Senators; perhaps one could say they were friendly. He even met his future wife when she served on the search committee that recommended his name for nomination (I wonder if family or friend connections got her appointed to that committee?).

Those who have been paying attention to the issues surrounding the lawsuit against the FDNY will recognize why I have presented all of the above. For those who have not, Judge Garaufis has made much of the fact that members of the FDNY recommend the job to friends and family and portrays this practice - which occurs throughout society in all types of careers - as nefarious, racist and something exclusively practiced by the white males of the FDNY. As we can easily see, Mr. Garaufis continues to throw stones in a glass courthouse.

Consider that Mark Cohen was not offered up by any of the parties involved as a good choice to be Special Monitor (and was even opposed by the Vulcan Society) but got the nod anyway- and that his law partner has long standing ties to the person selecting him. Or that there was a real estate deal signed one week before this surprise announcement was made. Or that the amount Mr. Cohen will be paid as Special Monitor is up to the person who chose him- Judge Garaufis. In December 2011 Mr. Gresser said his firm will continue to expand in 2012 and hire new attorneys (might I suggest a Special Monitor because of their lousy diversity?). Considering the network of helpful friends they have developed I have no reason to doubt Mr. Gresser’s assertion.

None of the above is meant to criticize the Hellenic lawyers, private friendships or least of all the FBC, which was formed in 1932 in response to racism in the legal profession. It is meant to further highlight the hypocrisy of those who benefit from formal and informal connections and then attack others who do the same.

Hypocrisy is also evident when a white male in a profession that is approximately 90% white male criticizes, belittles and implements rules that may endanger those who understand that they are expected to give their lives for strangers. Members of the FDNY did not benefit from a patronage riddled crony system (highlighted recently in the surprise, last minute nomination of Senator Charles Schumer’s brother in law to a Federal judgeship in New Jersey); we earned our jobs via the civil service merit system, a system of equal opportunity that has resulted in blacks being the most overrepresented group in city employment.

Happily, redemption beckons. There is a FBC Diversity Conference scheduled for May 22, 2012 in Manhattan as part of the Continuing Legal Education program. We urge Mr. Garaufis to announce he is resigning his position during this Conference so as to provide an opportunity for a member of an underrepresented group to become a Federal judge. His legacy will be established, his treatment by the media (which he seems so concerned with) will no doubt consist of praise and hurrahs and he will get to apply the harsh, race conscious treatment he has forced on those who simply applied for a job and took a test to himself, thus softening the criticism he has received from many quarters.

I recommend he catch this wave; he’ll be sittin’ on top of the world.

Forum Member

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/opinion...BmgYumRoKWKS8J

Garaufis’ huge Bill
    Last Updated: 10:59 PM, February 18, 2012

Posted: February 19, 2012

Back when federal Judge Nicholas Garaufis restrained the FDNY from hiring new firefighters — as part of his campaign to impose personal oversight over its allegedly biased hiring practices — City Hall warned the decision would cost millions in overtime.

Now, as The Post’s David Seifman reports, the actual costs are even worse than originally thought.

Because Garaufis — who sees racism in virtually every action the FDNY undertakes — has vetoed any new hiring, the department is 450 firefighters below its authorized head count.

And even if Garaufis finally allows new firefighters to come on board, it will be at least 2015 before the FDNY is back to full strength.

Judge Nicholas Garaufis
    Not surprisingly, that’s meant more overtime for the seriously depleted work force.

A lot more overtime.

Like $40 million a year since FY 2010 — and perhaps $70 a million a year from the low point of actual firefighter strength.

Back in 2009, the FDNY’s overtime tab for uniformed firefighters had dropped to a four-year low of $128 million.

In 2010, it spiked to $158 million. Last year, the total reached $198 million.

This year, the $200 million line is certain to be breached. (The department’s overtime bill for all employees is expected to hit $238 million.)

Bottom line: Garaufis’ judicial wrongheadedness will end up costing taxpayers at least $161 million in extra overtime alone.

Believe it or not, things could’ve been even worse: Had the FDNY not reduced staffing at some engine companies, it would now be 750 uniformed firefighters below authorized strength.

Come March 15, the FDNY is set to start giving its first new firefighter exam in four years.

But Garaufis must approve the results before any hiring can begin. And he’s made it clear that the pool of prospective hirees must meet his personal formula of precise racial balance — or it’s back to the drawing board.

Not to mention that the department will continue to be overseen by a special Garaufis-appointed monitor, probably for years to come — at a cost of tens of millions of taxpayer dollars.

Meanwhile, FDNY retirements have started going up — as some firefighters apparently are taking advantage of the OT bonanza to boost their pay and cash out, padding their taxpayer-funded pensions.

Send the bill to Judge Garaufis.
    FDNY Exam 6019 List# 14XX.
    Lawsuit Victim: Completed process, cancelled academy.

FDNY Exam 2000 List# 6XX.

Forum Member

A Brooklyn federal judge yesterday moved toward appointing a special team of lawyers to help him award as much as $65 million to minority firefighter applicants who were the victims of departmental discrimination.

Judge Nicholas Garaufis issued an order asking all parties involved in the US Justice Department’s civil-rights suit against the FDNY to submit names of lawyers — called “special masters’’ because they are appointed by the court — who they want to adjudicate the discrimination claims.

Thousands of minorities who took the firefighter exam and were not hired “due to the city’s discriminatory practices” could be eligible to collect after proving they suffered economic losses, Justice Department lawyers wrote yesterday to the judge.

The potential financial hit to the city is estimated at up to $65 million.

The city has been under court order to boost the hiring, training, and promotions of minorities in the 11,000-person Fire Department, which is overwhelmingly white, since Garaufis last year found a “pattern and practice of discrimination against black firefighter candidates.”

Meanwhile, FDNY retirements have started going up — as some firefighters apparently are taking advantage of the OT bonanza to boost their pay and cash out, padding their taxpayer-funded pensions.

Send the bill to Judge Garaufis.
    Typical BS from the NY Post.......Imagine if the writer actually did real reporting and not just hyperbole, they would find that retirements rates are actually less now since 85% of the job has 10 or less years.....but what do you expect from a tabloid rag.
    IACOJ Member

Forum Member

Default Show up to these tutorials in full force.

Firefighter Exam Tutorial Classes from the FDNY Vulcan Society

Greetings firefighter candidate,

This message is from the Vulcan Society, the organization of NYC's Black firefighters. Founded in 1940, we have been involved in everything from desegregating firehouses in the 1940's and 50's, to helping establish the International Association of Black Professional Firefighters in 1970, to our recent efforts to help diversify the FDNY. Towards that end, we have for decades provided tutoring to Black candidates like yourself who are about to take the FDNY firefighter entrance exam. We will be providing tutoring for your upcoming exam as well.

Two separate lesson plans will be taught, and you will be given work to take home. Both lesson plans will cover all subjects you will see on your test. Your instructors will be Black FDNY fire officers and firefighters. The study material was prepared by professional fire test developers and experienced NYC firefighters.

We believe – as we have been told in the past – that our tutoring will be the best tutoring available at any cost! A one-time fee of $20 (just to cover our costs) allows you to attend as often as you like.

Class schedules and locations are as follows:

Brooklyn

M.S. 35
    272 MacDonough St.
    on the corner of Lewis Ave
    (A/C at Utica Ave)

Lesson Plan A
    Monday, February 27th – 7:00 p.m.
    Thursday, March 1st – 7:00 p.m.
    Saturday, March 3rd – 11:00 a.m.

Lesson Plan B
    Monday, March 5th – 7:00 p.m.
    Thursday, March 8th – 7:00 p.m.
    Saturday, March 10th – 11:00 a.m.

Manhattan

Taino Towers (Gym)
    240 E. 123rd St.
    near 2nd Avenue
    (4/5/6 to 125th St.)

Lesson Plan A
    Tuesday, February 28th – 7:00 p.m.
    Wednesday, February 29th – 7:00 p.m.

Lesson Plan B
    Monday, March 5th – 7:00 p.m.
    Tuesday, March 6th – 7:00 p.m.

Queens

M.S. 72
    133-25 Guy R. Brewer Blvd
    Rochdale Village

Lesson Plan A
    Wednesday, February 29th – 7:00 p.m.
    Thursday, March 1st – 7:00 p.m.

Lesson Plan B
    Tuesday, March 6th – 7:00 p.m.
    Thursday, March 8th – 7:00 p.m.

Staten Island

I.S. 49
    101 Warren St.
    between Hill St. & Laurel Ave

Lesson Plan A
    Tuesday, February 28th – 7:00 p.m.

Lesson Plan B
    Wednesday, March 7th – 7:00 p.m.

Because there will be so much competition for this great career, a very high score on the exam is a necessity. Give yourself a leg up by taking advantage of this opportunity.

Finally, please click here to let us know which tutorial you’d like to attend and give us your contact information so we can keep in touch with you about the hiring process. (Even if you don’t pick a tutorial session now, that’s ok - just show up at any tutoring site on any day.)

Thank you,

The Vulcan Society
    739 Eastern Parkway
    Brooklyn, NY 11213-3410

Thread Information