Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 611 of 618 FirstFirst ... 111511561601608609610611612613614 ... LastLast
Results 12,201 to 12,220 of 12347
Like Tree74Likes

Thread: Fdny List 6019

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by joeybatts View Post
    To me it looks like they are referring to 6019 because It states "later ruled..non hired and delayed hiring" aren't the 7,100 part of that group regardless?
    I know they mean guys from those 2 exams when he refers to "delayed hiring" because 1 of the plaintiffs (Candido Nunez) was in the final class of #2043 and he was part of the lawsuit because he says he would of been hired far earlier if the written wasn't so gosh darn racist! In reality a friend of mine who graduated from the Rock with him says the guy can barely speak English

Forum Member

I hope they award this 128 million to these entitled idiots and it causes layoffs of half of the department...congratulations idiots, hope you are happy...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by berg2904 View Post
    I hope they award this 128 million to these entitled idiots and it causes layoffs of half of the department...congratulations idiots, hope you are happy...
    hey man, its not the jobs fault that this is happening...relax, were going to get through this

Forum Member

Been following this BS for a few years now and there never seems too be any good news for the

candidates on List 6019. This moron of a judge had no business to dismiss 6019 test because it was

not part of the original law suit. How do they recover their lost monies spent on eye procedures that

they were told were necessary to pass the physical. For this judge to say that the City could have

settled earlier at a reduced cost is nothing but BS. This guy wants nothing but QUOTAS which were

used here in Boston for years. Support Merit Matters and Chief Mannix. Stay safe. ABO

Forum Member

Judge Orders $128M In Back Pay to Minority Firefighter Candidates
    293 of Them to Be Hired Under Test-Bias Ruling; City Plans Appeal

PAUL WASHINGTON: ‘Glad to see justice done.’

NICHOLAS GARAUFIS: City alleges he overstepped.
    Posted: Monday, March 12, 2012 5:00 pm | Updated: 4:35 pm, Mon Mar 12, 2012.
    By SARAH DORSEY

Thirteen years after some of them took the Firefighter exam, a few thousand black and Latino candidates are eligible to split up to $128.7 million in back pay—and nearly three hundred, if still sufficiently fit, will be offered FDNY jobs, under a Federal Judge’s ruling last week.
    Their long wait is not over, however. City attorneys said that once they finish calculating who is owed what, they will add that data to an appeal of the entire decision finding that the city willfully discriminated against minority candidates for firefighter during the last three exams for the job.
    Federal Judge Nicholas Garaufis ruled in July 2009 that minority candidates who took the 1999 and 2002 exams and weren’t hired, or were hired late, were entitled to cash payments and job offers because the tests weren’t job-related and disparately impacted people of color. After years of wrangling over the numbers, Judge Garaufis ordered the city March 8 to hire 186 African-American candidates and 107 Latinos from the two lists, if that many are still interested and eligible; the black applicants will split up to $82 million and the Latinos, up to $42 million.

Vulcans: ‘Justice Has Been Done’

“We’re glad to see justice being done in this case,” said Fire Capt. Paul Washington, a former president of the Vulcan Society of black Firefighters, which brought the original discrimination complaint that launched the Department of Justice’s 2007 lawsuit. “The only shame is that all of this could have been handled 10 years ago out of court.”

Captain Washington said he was disappointed that Mayor Bloomberg “refused to take any kind of serious action” that could have resolved the matter sooner. “The Mayor has wasted millions upon millions of the city’s dollars on a case he and his lawyers knew absolutely that they were going to lose,” he claimed.

The city Law Department said in a statement, “We believe the Court’s latest opinion is erroneous,” and noted that the full amount the city ultimately pays will likely be less than $128 million, depending on factors such as how much each candidate earned in the years since the first two tests were given in 1999 and 2002.

To determine the payments, the city examined how much the Firefighters who were hired earned in the years since the exams. If a candidate later became a stockbroker and earned seven figures, he’ll receive nothing. But if he earned less than he’d be expected to make as a Firefighter, he’ll be eligible for a portion of the $128 million; those who earned the least will receive the most.

Won’t Reward Slackers
    An attorney familiar with the case said that other factors could influence how the money is distributed. If a candidate earned very little in the years since the exam, but showed no real effort to get a job, he could be deemed ineligible. The Judge appointed four special masters to sort through these complex issues.

Hiring blacks and Latinos from exams given a decade or more ago will also have its challenges. A collection agency was hired—because of its skill tracking people down—to find as many of the rejected minority applicants as possible; the company estimated it was able to locate about 75 percent, but some will likely be untraceable. Some are now too old to become a Firefighter; others may be out of shape. Many may not want the job anymore. If the city can’t find 293 appropriate candidates from the two lists, it will be allowed to hire fewer, the attorney said.

Those hired will receive retroactive seniority; their starting salaries will be higher than an ordinary Firefighter’s, and they will be able to put in for transfers and vacation schedules as if they’d been hired years ago. The seniority credits will not affect their rank, however; the new hires will have to put in just as much time as their peers before being promoted, and will have to pass the same promotion exams.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by joeybatts View Post
    Judge Orders $128M In Back Pay to Minority Firefighter Candidates
    293 of Them to Be Hired Under Test-Bias Ruling; City Plans Appeal

PAUL WASHINGTON: ‘Glad to see justice done.’

NICHOLAS GARAUFIS: City alleges he overstepped.
    Posted: Monday, March 12, 2012 5:00 pm | Updated: 4:35 pm, Mon Mar 12, 2012.
    By SARAH DORSEY

Thirteen years after some of them took the Firefighter exam, a few thousand black and Latino candidates are eligible to split up to $128.7 million in back pay—and nearly three hundred, if still sufficiently fit, will be offered FDNY jobs, under a Federal Judge’s ruling last week.
    Their long wait is not over, however. City attorneys said that once they finish calculating who is owed what, they will add that data to an appeal of the entire decision finding that the city willfully discriminated against minority candidates for firefighter during the last three exams for the job.
    Federal Judge Nicholas Garaufis ruled in July 2009 that minority candidates who took the 1999 and 2002 exams and weren’t hired, or were hired late, were entitled to cash payments and job offers because the tests weren’t job-related and disparately impacted people of color. After years of wrangling over the numbers, Judge Garaufis ordered the city March 8 to hire 186 African-American candidates and 107 Latinos from the two lists, if that many are still interested and eligible; the black applicants will split up to $82 million and the Latinos, up to $42 million.

Vulcans: ‘Justice Has Been Done’

“We’re glad to see justice being done in this case,” said Fire Capt. Paul Washington, a former president of the Vulcan Society of black Firefighters, which brought the original discrimination complaint that launched the Department of Justice’s 2007 lawsuit. “The only shame is that all of this could have been handled 10 years ago out of court.”

Captain Washington said he was disappointed that Mayor Bloomberg “refused to take any kind of serious action” that could have resolved the matter sooner. “The Mayor has wasted millions upon millions of the city’s dollars on a case he and his lawyers knew absolutely that they were going to lose,” he claimed.

The city Law Department said in a statement, “We believe the Court’s latest opinion is erroneous,” and noted that the full amount the city ultimately pays will likely be less than $128 million, depending on factors such as how much each candidate earned in the years since the first two tests were given in 1999 and 2002.

To determine the payments, the city examined how much the Firefighters who were hired earned in the years since the exams. If a candidate later became a stockbroker and earned seven figures, he’ll receive nothing. But if he earned less than he’d be expected to make as a Firefighter, he’ll be eligible for a portion of the $128 million; those who earned the least will receive the most.

Won’t Reward Slackers
    An attorney familiar with the case said that other factors could influence how the money is distributed. If a candidate earned very little in the years since the exam, but showed no real effort to get a job, he could be deemed ineligible. The Judge appointed four special masters to sort through these complex issues.

Hiring blacks and Latinos from exams given a decade or more ago will also have its challenges. A collection agency was hired—because of its skill tracking people down—to find as many of the rejected minority applicants as possible; the company estimated it was able to locate about 75 percent, but some will likely be untraceable. Some are now too old to become a Firefighter; others may be out of shape. Many may not want the job anymore. If the city can’t find 293 appropriate candidates from the two lists, it will be allowed to hire fewer, the attorney said.

Those hired will receive retroactive seniority; their starting salaries will be higher than an ordinary Firefighter’s, and they will be able to put in for transfers and vacation schedules as if they’d been hired years ago. The seniority credits will not affect their rank, however; the new hires will have to put in just as much time as their peers before being promoted, and will have to pass the same promotion exams.
    You've gotta be ****in kiddin me....they're just going to hire these mopes off the street and pass over guys from 6019? That makes ZERO sense whatsoever.

Forum Member

80 middle-aged black firefighters enter Chicago fire academy
    Rookies represent first of 111 African-Americans bypassed by city's discriminatory handling of 1995 entrance exam

By Fran Spielman
    The Chicago Sun-Times

Related Article:
    Chicago firefighter applicants retested 16 years later
    Related content sponsored by:

CHICAGO — Eighty middle-aged black firefighters entered the Chicago fire academy Friday — 17 years after taking a disputed entrance exam — amid concern about how many will survive the grueling six-month training and how well they will be accepted by the rank-and-file.

The 80 rookies — a few of them in their 50s — represent the first of 111 African-Americans bypassed by the city's discriminatory handling of a 1995 entrance exam. Paperwork is still being processed for the remaining 31. They are expected to join their classmates next week.

Chicago Fire Department spokesman Larry Langford stressed that the training would not be modified simply because the candidates are older than most.

The Fire Department's age limit for new hires is 38. That does not apply to the 111 black firefighters because the discrimination occurred before the cutoff was established.

Matt Piers, an attorney representing the black firefighters, said he's not concerned about a high level of wash-outs. He noted that the African-American Firefighters League has been conducting fitness training for the last few months to get the candidates into the "best possible" condition.

Piers said he's more concerned about how the black firefighters will be accepted once they complete their training and get assigned to firehouses.

"This department has an extremely troubling history of racial inequity and intolerance to minorities. There's been a terrific amount of bias and bigotry," he said.

Forum Member

Anyone know if the city is appealing this order? Or what the current situation is?

Forum Member

Emperor Nick’s latest edict

Last Updated: 12:15 AM, March 29, 2012

Posted: 11:51 PM, March 28, 2012

Is there no end to federal Judge Nicholas Garaufis’ arrogance?

Get this: The judge — who’s taken de facto control of the FDNY, claiming (without any real evidence) that it’s racist — is now insisting that the city has no right to see detailed billing records of a monitor he appointed to oversee the department’s hiring practices.

Even though Garaufis ordered the city to pay the monitor’s tab.

And, as The Post reported yesterday, it’s a hefty tab indeed: The monitor, Mark Cohen, is dunning the city for a whopping $310,758, for work from Nov. 9 to Dec. 31.

Never mind that he didn’t actually start until Dec. 9; Cohen’s bill for the 22 days since then works out to $14,000 a day.

Nice work, if you can get it.

No wonder the city wants a detailed accounting of his hours.

But Garaufis — whose bias against the city runs so deep that administration officials have filed a motion to have him removed from the case — says no way.

He claims the charges are reasonable — and the city should just trust him on that.

And he argues the monitor works for the court — not the city.

Then why not have the court pay Cohen’s bills? If City Hall is going to pick up the tab, it has every right to at least see the back-up documentation — and to question anything that looks funny.

Otherwise, it’s being asked to hand over a blank check to a guy with an axe to grind.

Alas, the city’s appeal of Garaufis’ various rulings and its motion to have him removed won’t be heard until later this spring.

That can’t come soon enough.

Read more: http://fdnyrant.proboards.com/index....#ixzz1qWR3BsOA

Forum Member

Guys, I would like to ask an opinion. I injured by shoulder last year and it has been bothering me since. I continue to work out with it and am hesitant to get an MRI encase there is a tear that needs to be repaired. Anybody have any knowledge of how the process goes if you've had a shoulder surgery or something like that??

Thanks

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MerritMatters View Post
    Guys, I would like to ask an opinion. I injured by shoulder last year and it has been bothering me since. I continue to work out with it and am hesitant to get an MRI encase there is a tear that needs to be repaired. Anybody have any knowledge of how the process goes if you've had a shoulder surgery or something like that??

Thanks
    I think it's really the doctor's move at the Medical stage. He'll examine you and will determine if your shoulder is good to go for the future. I think if you get work done on it and there's no lingering issues, you should be good to go. That's just the opinion of a guy who's done the medical 3x now LOL.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MerritMatters View Post

Thanks

When you fill out your history report during the medical you'll note the surgery or whatever. The doctor will then determine to either exam you and just sign off or he will request documentation from the doctor that did the procedure to make his determination if he feels its neccesary. I had a few broken bones so they just x-rayed them and signed off on me there.
    FDNY Exam 6019 List# 14XX.
    Lawsuit Victim: Completed process, cancelled academy.

FDNY Exam 2000 List# 6XX.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 7andchange View Post
    Emperor Nick’s latest edict

Last Updated: 12:15 AM, March 29, 2012

Posted: 11:51 PM, March 28, 2012

Is there no end to federal Judge Nicholas Garaufis’ arrogance?

Get this: The judge — who’s taken de facto control of the FDNY, claiming (without any real evidence) that it’s racist — is now insisting that the city has no right to see detailed billing records of a monitor he appointed to oversee the department’s hiring practices.

Even though Garaufis ordered the city to pay the monitor’s tab.

And, as The Post reported yesterday, it’s a hefty tab indeed: The monitor, Mark Cohen, is dunning the city for a whopping $310,758, for work from Nov. 9 to Dec. 31.

Never mind that he didn’t actually start until Dec. 9; Cohen’s bill for the 22 days since then works out to $14,000 a day.

Nice work, if you can get it.

No wonder the city wants a detailed accounting of his hours.

But Garaufis — whose bias against the city runs so deep that administration officials have filed a motion to have him removed from the case — says no way.

He claims the charges are reasonable — and the city should just trust him on that.

And he argues the monitor works for the court — not the city.

Then why not have the court pay Cohen’s bills? If City Hall is going to pick up the tab, it has every right to at least see the back-up documentation — and to question anything that looks funny.

Otherwise, it’s being asked to hand over a blank check to a guy with an axe to grind.

Alas, the city’s appeal of Garaufis’ various rulings and its motion to have him removed won’t be heard until later this spring.

That can’t come soon enough.

Read more: http://fdnyrant.proboards.com/index....#ixzz1qWR3BsOA
    This is 1 big joke - Those 2 are def scamming the city together. There's no doubt in my mind.

Forum Member

I cannot understand how the law allows this nonsense to continue especially in the midst of the appeal's beginning.

On a separate note, regarding Cuomo's anti-union crusade via tier 6, can anyone explain how it affects NYPD and FDNY? I have read that the two agencies will be "untouched" by this legislation. Can anyone speak intelligently to this topic?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Waiting4Months View Post
    I cannot understand how the law allows this nonsense to continue especially in the midst of the appeal's beginning.

On a separate note, regarding Cuomo's anti-union crusade via tier 6, can anyone explain how it affects NYPD and FDNY? I have read that the two agencies will be "untouched" by this legislation. Can anyone speak intelligently to this topic?
    From what I read, both the NYPD & FDNY were untouched for now. For now being the key term there.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by vekdoggs75 View Post
    I think it's really the doctor's move at the Medical stage. He'll examine you and will determine if your shoulder is good to go for the future. I think if you get work done on it and there's no lingering issues, you should be good to go. That's just the opinion of a guy who's done the medical 3x now LOL.
    When you fill out your history report during the medical you'll note the surgery or whatever. The doctor will then determine to either exam you and just sign off or he will request documentation from the doctor that did the procedure to make his determination if he feels its neccesary. I had a few broken bones so they just x-rayed them and signed off on me there.

thanks for the reply guys

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by vekdoggs75 View Post
    From what I read, both the NYPD & FDNY were untouched for now. For now being the key term there.
    Thanks Vek. Where did you get your info from? I just wanna compare notes

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Waiting4Months View Post
    Thanks Vek. Where did you get your info from? I just wanna compare notes
    Can't cite it from an exact source, but I'm almost positive I got it from either the News or Post.

Forum Member

http://www.firehouse.com/news/106947...n=CPS120406003

More good news! Can the FDNY be far behind? Don't forget to Vote in November

Forum Member

Well I guess the Courts can be real happy with a 1% increase from the 2007 Exam and test 2000!

What a waste of monies and time. The only thing they care about is screwing the qualified

candidates off #6019. Wait and see what happens when they don't get the numbers they

want. Support Merit Matters and stay safe.

Thread Information