Like Tree74Likes

Thread: Fdny List 6019

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by exam6019 View Post
    The future hiring process will be based on the attrition rate of retirement probably beginning in 09. I think the last class of 300 plus will be jan 09 The retirement rate is slowing down, around 25 a month. The dept will pretty much fill all the stations after jan class. However I don't see the class sizes getting to much smaller since the academy failure
    rate might double. I see class sizes around 225 , 250 being very possible. I hope they don't get to much smaller than that sitting in the 39xx.
    going off what Exam is saying. When would the Dept. announce classes beyond Jan 09?

I have been reading the other thread with the first class guys, man I get pumped for the chance.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Matt2327 View Post
    going off what Exam is saying. When would the Dept. announce classes beyond Jan 09?

I have been reading the other thread with the first class guys, man I get pumped for the chance.
    What is the other thread ???

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by exam6019 View Post
    What is the other thread ???
    http://forums.firehouse.com/showthread.php?p=964698

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by hopefully09 View Post

Heard a couple guys have already dropped from this class now, what the word?
    There have not been too many to quit yet.....but suffice it to say we have found out its no walk in the park and some had no idea at the outset.

It's all worth it, I love every min of it even the painful ones.

The DI's are great, some of the toughest, highly motivating, and funny men on the planet...
    6019 #47x

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by hopefully09 View Post
    Heard a couple guys have already dropped from this class now, what the word?
    Was at the Quartermaster yesterday and saw one guy turning in his gear. Talked to the staff and they stated they've only seen two so far.
    No reasons why though.

Forum Member

FYI department orders: appointments/promotions to probationary FF July 1st

http://www.nyc.gov/html/fdny/insider...up_45_2008.pdf

Forum Member

Wink Exactly!

Quote Originally Posted by fdny2b View Post
    There have not been too many to quit yet.....but suffice it to say we have found out its no walk in the park and some had no idea at the outset.

It's all worth it, I love every min of it even the painful ones.

The DI's are great, some of the toughest, highly motivating, and funny men on the planet...
    -i completely agree...i love it, would i quit...never-they're going to have to drag me out...literally! But as of now...it sure is an eye opener; and we're only going on our third week! The discipline they expect from you, even on your best day wouldnt meet their standards. The PT is pretty grueling but mostly due to the heat..95 degree weather with 80% humidity will affect just about any1, and if you think it won't affect you...you're crazy, try saying that when you have your bunker gear strapped all the way up to your chin...leave your pride at the door. The only pride you should have is for the job. At the "rock" ive learned it is only "their" way, forget everything you "think" you know.

-as of now 2 guys have dropped out. they couldnt handle it (period!)

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by BrOOkLyN718 View Post
    -as of now 2 guys have dropped out. they couldnt handle it (period!)
    Which actually is pretty good. Usually by now in the past, at least a dozen would be gone by now.

Hang tough.
    It gets better.

Forum Member

yeah but in the past the run was during the academy not before you got in, and from what I have been reading and being told thats where they lost about 10-15% of the guys. I think the drop out rate will be much lower this class just because of that alone.

Also how early is everyone going to show up tomorrow. I plan to be about a little more than a hour early because this is 1st come 1st serve right?

Also am I right on assuming there is no parking around metrotech?
    Last edited by AnchorC; 07-10-2008 at 08:57 AM.
    List # 13**

Forum Member

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorC View Post
    Also how early is everyone going to show up tomorrow. I plan to be about a little more than a hour early because this is 1st come 1st serve right?

Also am I right on assuming there is no parking around metrotech?
    I'm going to try to be there at least an hour early. It's an hour train ride for me, so I'd better wake up early!
    6019- was sitting at 13xx
    2000- now sitting at 18xx

Forum Member

Yes, 2 guys have dropped but people who didn't run the 1.5mi in 13 min or couldn't do the pullups didn't get the boot-so that's something to consider.

Forum Member

as said before
    1)make sure your **** is all together. and it helps to put in the order that the back of your sheet says. For example (social security card, copy of social security card-diploma, copy of diploma, etc)
    2)all of these things at MT you should be at least 45-60 min early
    3)there is parking i hear but you have to pay i always took the train
    4) don't forget the sheet that has your name and what day/time your supposed to be there, every time I went down there someone forgot it and the cops wont let you in without it
    5)sit in the front left side (by the windows) that's where they start, first in first out, some people might come in if the room isn't set up and move chairs and tables around just your up front on the left

just summing up what was lost in the pages form January and Febuary

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by matty21 View Post
    I'm pretty sure they were doing 4 classes of 300 a year to pick up after the drop off after 9/11. They have not had to maintain the ranks in sometime now. They had the mass retirements after 9/11 and they were pumping people through. Now things have evened out, I think that they have more then enough people. I think it might be a reality to see smaller classes in the coming years for two reasons. 1) they dont need as many people. 2) this is the most diverse list in history, with all the lawsuits and **** they would look bad if they stoped hiring all together
    1st if anyone is in this class right now...you shouldnt' be on here wasting your time...focus your efforts where they need to be for the time being.

2nd- With the current 6 month accademy it is only possible to put 2 classes of 300 through at a time. The City Council target attrition rate was set at 600 to 700. However those projected numbers are over a year old and very few guy are getting out at least guys I know...even those with over 20 are planning to do 25-30 at least.

In just over a year Bloomberg leaves office....the next mayor might not share this admin's desire to over hire in the rank.

Also ecconomic conditions might not improve until 09(at the earliest) It is expected by many that Wall. St. will loose many more jobs before this is all over. Taxes on Wall St. provide a not insignifigant amount of city tax revenues. Thus they might stop hiring...or slow it down signifigantly.

I'm not sure how high we are above head count but it is up there. Just look at the last classes and the assignments they got. 3 probies to many companies some houses got 5-6 total. Staten Island was jamed with guys thus bringing them almost up to par (they have no 5 man Engines on Staten Island so they are considered fully staffed at about 20 men on the roster.) A handful of B companies and a few A's with a ton of assignments to C's.

Compare that to all assignments going back to 2002...formerly it wouldn't be unusual for 3 guys to get assigned to an A or B -Engine or Truck. Transfers accross the floor or to an entirely different house were readily available to just about any neighborhood of ones choosing.

That isn't the case today.

All one can do is go about your lives and when the time comes make sure all your paperwork is in order and you are physically ready.

FTM-PTB

Forum Member

Hope everything goes smoothly for you all going up to metrotech tomorrow, I'm not going until the 30th.

I still have to write up statements and get them notarized about 2 small incidents I had way back, got everything else completed, just need to get a suit and the passport photo and a few copies.

Not for nothing, but I couldn't care less about how many ppl are going to quit, how many will be in each class and why, I am just getting all my ducks in a row and working my *** off to be in shape so when they call my number I will be good to go. I'd suggest you all forget about the nonsense and focus on what you can control.

Forum Member

Exclamation leg injury

I am in the current class at the rock and i developed a leg injury while training for the academy. I tried to run trough it but everyday since ive gotten the injury its been getting worse. They say that if u let them know about the situation that i may be able to get recycled to the next class or i can truck it through and risk further injury. I just wanna here ur guys advice on what i should do. Get recycled and come back 100% healthy ready to destroy their PT sessions or try to tough it out even though my leg seems to be getting worse. Any suggestions will help, im having a real problem with this decision. Motrin and ice every day and night isnt cutting it anymore. My legs throbbing as i type!!!!

Forum Member

And whatever shape you think ur in, its not enough. The PT is way, way higher level then it is portrayed to be. I dont know if they're just smoking us out cuz its the first week and they'll settle down next week but these PT session are nothing to play with. Even the most physically fit person will get a workout. I tought i was a push up monster until i got to the rock

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by OurTimeNow View Post
    I am in the current class at the rock and i developed a leg injury while training for the academy. I tried to run trough it but everyday since ive gotten the injury its been getting worse. They say that if u let them know about the situation that i may be able to get recycled to the next class or i can truck it through and risk further injury. I just wanna here ur guys advice on what i should do. Get recycled and come back 100% healthy ready to destroy their PT sessions or try to tough it out even though my leg seems to be getting worse. Any suggestions will help, im having a real problem with this decision. Motrin and ice every day and night isnt cutting it anymore. My legs throbbing as i type!!!!
    sounds to me like your mind is made up and just want someone to make it sound like it's ok to quit. It's not easy by any means and if you think it's only a first week thing then you better think again. This may not be cut out for you.

Forum Member

the P.T. will just get harder. My friend just graduated on the 30th and he said that as it got further into the class he thought they were trying to kill them with p.t. so it's only going to get harder.

Forum Member

looking out for the well being of you leg i would say try to get recycled. i have no idea what the fdny pt is like but i have a very good friend when we went through the coast guard rescue swimmer program he tuffed it out and was ok, but after that hes been in for numerous knee surgery procedures and cant stand duty as a rescue swimmer so he was bound to a desk for the remainder of his enlistment(miserable). simply put its probly best for your leg and the fdny that u sit this out get rehabed correctly and come on as a fully functional firefighter(cause iam sure no house wants an injured proby). chompin down motrin for the next 6 months is no way to live. only you can make this decision so best of luck with whichever path you choose
    26**

Default Im new Here.

Hows It going everyone. I'm new on this Forum, I was told about it by a few Firefighters in my area. I have my Interview/Evaluation on Wednesday 07/16/08, I was wondering if anyone here could shed some light on what I should expect. Also I just finished filling out the packets and was wondering If anyone has any tips or secrets I should know.... thanks guys.

Forum Member

And whatever shape you think ur in, its not enough. The PT is way, way higher level then it is portrayed to be. I dont know if they're just smoking us out cuz its the first week and they'll settle down next week but these PT session are nothing to play with. Even the most physically fit person will get a workout. I tought i was a push up monster until i got to the rock
    Dude, PT today was the $hit!!! We ran 1.5mi over the bridge into the south Bronx and then did calisthenics under the overpass then ran 1.5 miles back with one more stop for calisthenics next to the stadium. Hearing 150 guys sounding off down there was the coolest workout I have ever had. I am not going to say that the PT is not a pain in the butt, my waistline is not small and am not having any issues with PT.

As for your leg, I don't think you will be able to complete motivation alley unless you find a bull to back you up and do all the work for you. Stick with your squad man they will get you through. Also, go to the doc and get something stronger than motrin (and get a diagnosis so you can find out if you are going to hurt it permanently if you push it), if you have a prescription you have no issue with a random test....
    6019 #47x

Forum Member

...GO TO THE DOCTOR!!! You need to be healthy buddy...I know you wanna be tough and stick it out but if you hurt it worse they'll just fire you. Then you can tell everyone how you were almost a firefighter instead of "I had to wait 6 more months." The doctor might say its fine and suck it up...but at least he can give you more than motrin...

Forum Member

Default Weighted Vest (XVest)

This offer is open to anyone training for the January class. Ive got an 84 pound XVest that sold new for well over $200, that Id like to see someone else get to use. It served me very well as I prepared for the current class, and is now collecting dust. Its in perfect condition, and ready to go.

I dont want any money for it. Just return it when done.
    Last edited by SkylinePCG; 07-13-2008 at 01:22 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SkylinePCG View Post
    This offer is open to anyone training for the January class. Ive got an 84 pound XVest that sold new for well over $200, that Id like to see someone else get to use. It served me very well as I prepared for the current class, and is now collecting dust. Its in perfect condition, and ready to go.

I dont want any money for it. Just return it when done.
    gentleman. continuing the tradition

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Queens6019 View Post
    gentleman. continuing the tradition
    Skyline knows what it's all about - great to see

Guys who went to Metrotech on the 11th - howd it go?
    Any new info?

Thread Information