Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 68 of 618 FirstFirst ... 18586566676869707178118168568 ... LastLast
Results 1,341 to 1,360 of 12347
Like Tree74Likes

Thread: Fdny List 6019

Forum Member

Default congratulations!

i've been reading this thread pretty much since the beginning, and its been an incredible resource, but i never posted.
    today i had to post to say congratulations to all of the guys starting the academy. i'm gonna have to wait another six months, so i hope you guys keep posting here and i can check in and live vicariously.

Forum Member

Crazy Pete is the fu**ing man....

See you guys Monday.

Group 1 was flying today. I finished just under 12 min (Lt. told us not to bust it ) and there were maybe 10 guys that finished behind me.

**Remember**
    They do not allow bumps on the pull ups, each one has to be from a full hang and you can not kick your legs at all.

The Push ups are 1 each 2 seconds you cant just buts them out. They take the momentum out of the equation.

The sit ups they want are full sit ups with interlocked fingers behind your head, you know the ones that are terrible for your lower back.
    Last edited by fdny2b; 06-14-2008 at 08:12 PM.
    steven9d3 likes this.
    6019 #47x

No "remedial"? What is this job coming to?
    Like I have any time on to compare.
    That's good actually. With six months of academy you'll be deep into PT and FST on top of regular evolutions to stay on top of physical fitness. (If you don't know what FST is, do a search, it's been covered.)

Good job to you guys that passed and are moving on.
    Hang tough.
    Last edited by ffbam24; 06-14-2008 at 09:08 PM.

Forum Member

ffbam-I know 12:30's not the best time in the world but i wasnt trying to kill myself for this run because like the instructors said, this run is just to get in, what time u get doesnt count. Now when it time for the run determining remidial then i will put more into it to get under 12 mins. No matter what my time is on the run im still gonna do great on my tests, evolutions and put my all into graduating this class. If u dont have the motivation no matter how in shape u are, u wont succed. My motivation alone is what will drive me through to graduation in december.

GOOD LUCK TO ALL MEMBERS OF CLASS 2 of 2008. See you all on monday.

Forum Member

so is 817 the number? good luck to all

Quote Originally Posted by ffbam24 View Post
    No "remedial"? What is this job coming to?
    Like I have any time on to compare.
    That's good actually. With six months of academy you'll be deep into PT and FST on top of regular evolutions to stay on top of physical fitness. (If you don't know what FST is, do a search, it's been covered.)

Good job to you guys that passed and are moving on.
    Hang tough.

Hey ffbam I have a question. For a rookie what company is more intense Engine or Ladder? Could you let us know the pros and cons of the two?

Thx dude!

Thumbs up Difference between Engine and Ladder

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy2times View Post
    Hey ffbam I have a question. For a rookie what company is more intense Engine or Ladder? Could you let us know the pros and cons of the two?

Thx dude!
    What is the difference between an "engine" and a "ladder"?

A fire engine and a ladder truck are two different types of firefighting apparatus, each with its own set of responsibilities. Fire engines are in charge of deploying the hose lines, and are equipped with a water tank, a pump to propel the water, and various hoses. The standard FDNY engine has a 1000 GPM pump and a 500-gallon water tank. Meanwhile, the ladder crew is in charge of entering the building, providing necessary ventilation, and performing search and rescue operations. Each ladder company is equipped with a number of forcible entry tools for breaking into buildings, as well as extrication equipment for the purpose of releasing trapped fire victims. The FDNY employs three types of ladder apparatus: 75 and 95-foot tower ladders; 100-foot rearmounts; and 100-foot tractor-trailers with tillers. Every ladder company carries 16, 24, and 35-foot extension ladders, a 20-foot straight ladder, 12 and 20-foot straight hook ladders, and a 10-foot folding ladder.

NOTE: The source for this information is from the PBS website listed below:

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/heroes/print/primer.html

**They have some good information that makes you say "HMMMMM, interesting.."

I know the question was not intended for me to answer, but I figured I could share a little bit of info with a fellow future brother..
    FDNY 6019 #9XX

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Cuzzz2259 View Post
    What is the difference between an "engine" and a "ladder"?

A fire engine and a ladder truck are two different types of firefighting apparatus, each with its own set of responsibilities. Fire engines are in charge of deploying the hose lines, and are equipped with a water tank, a pump to propel the water, and various hoses. The standard FDNY engine has a 1000 GPM pump and a 500-gallon water tank. Meanwhile, the ladder crew is in charge of entering the building, providing necessary ventilation, and performing search and rescue operations. Each ladder company is equipped with a number of forcible entry tools for breaking into buildings, as well as extrication equipment for the purpose of releasing trapped fire victims. The FDNY employs three types of ladder apparatus: 75 and 95-foot tower ladders; 100-foot rearmounts; and 100-foot tractor-trailers with tillers. Every ladder company carries 16, 24, and 35-foot extension ladders, a 20-foot straight ladder, 12 and 20-foot straight hook ladders, and a 10-foot folding ladder.

NOTE: The source for this information is from the PBS website listed below:

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/heroes/print/primer.html

**They have some good information that makes you say "HMMMMM, interesting.."

I know the question was not intended for me to answer, but I figured I could share a little bit of info with a fellow future brother..

That's a great answer! But what I really wanted to know is the "real deal" version ....... The information you provided is more of a "text book answer" I wanted to know more of the info that a text book couldn't answer. for example a FF once told me "Engine Co goes to the "burn unit" while Ladder Co goes to the award ceremonies". I wanted to learn a little bit more of that kind of info ...... But once again it was a great reply!
    Last edited by Jimmy2times; 06-15-2008 at 09:14 AM.

No problem bro!! I see what you mean.. I am interested in the answer to that as well. I am sure once on the job, we will have the chance to work different positioins/ companies.

I've heard that Engine companies is where you want ot start off. I don't know how true or accurate of a statement that is. Hopefully FFBAM can gives us more insight.
    FDNY 6019 #9XX

Default This has me a little puzzled ......

If the FDNY is only gonna train 300 rookies at a time, Why did they reach 817 list numbers? for the 2 class of 2008? Does anybody know if maybe the FDNY will have bigger classes since there only gonna have 2 classes a year instead of the 4 classes they used to .....?

Quote Originally Posted by Cuzzz2259 View Post
    No problem bro!! I see what you mean.. I am interested in the answer to that as well. I am sure once on the job, we will have the chance to work different positioins/ companies.

I've heard that Engine companies is where you want ot start off. I don't know how true or accurate of a statement that is. Hopefully FFBAM can gives us more insight.
    Yeah I heard something like that also. Because if you in a house and you get lost, no matter what you could follow the hose line to get out. On Ladder you have to remember the house and were the windows are, If not you'll be a BBQ FF.
    Last edited by Jimmy2times; 06-15-2008 at 01:26 PM.

Forum Member

From what i've heard is that you do 1/2 your probation time in a ladder co, and the other 1/2 in an engine co. This is not fact its just what I heard. And congrat's to everyone who passed the run, and looking forward to doing it for the Jan 09 class!!

11xx

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy2times View Post
    If the FDNY is only gonna train 300 rookies at a time, Why did they reach 817 list numbers? for the 2 class of 2008? Does anybody know if maybe the FDNY will have bigger classes since there only gonna have 2 classes a year instead of the 4 classes they used to .....?
    I haven't heard anything about bigger class. Someone said that 315 probies made this class, which is give or take, the usual number of people for a probie class.

I am thinking that they reached 817, because some people did not pass all the steps in the process, decided that Firefighting was not for them, or just took the test and had no intention in pursuing it in the first place.

I have several cop friends who took the test just for "fun," but are happy where they are and do not wish to transfer over to FD at this point in time. WHY? I dont know... We just have to play it by ear.. More information will surface, I am sure about it.
    FDNY 6019 #9XX

Forum Member

Hey Cuzz is your background invest closed? Just curious because mine was just started like 2 1/2 weeks ago

Quote Originally Posted by LIfire31 View Post
    Hey Cuzz is your background invest closed? Just curious because mine was just started like 2 1/2 weeks ago
    I spoke to my investigator about two weeks ago and she said it was still open. She told me I am a candidate for the JAN 2009 class.

Now that this class has been processed and entering the academy, C.I.D. can focus on completing OUR investigations for the next class. I am done with everything else.. How about you??
    FDNY 6019 #9XX

Forum Member

I have completed everything else as well. I know that I called my invest to update some info and was told that they haven't sent out any of my paperwork to employers

11xx

LIFIRE:

Turn on your PM
    FDNY 6019 #9XX

Forum Member

I turned it on

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LIfire31 View Post
    From what i've heard is that you do 1/2 your probation time in a ladder co, and the other 1/2 in an engine co. This is not fact its just what I heard. And congrat's to everyone who passed the run, and looking forward to doing it for the Jan 09 class!!

11xx
    This is not true at all that is fact. You may be detailed to a truck or work a roster tour at a truck if assigned to an engine but you do not flip flop companies. Some companies NEVER send a probie out...

Also, unless you have a good hook your station assignment is a roll of the dice. If you are very tall chances are you will be assigned to a truck, really short guys shouldn't be surprised to end up on an engine.
    6019 #47x

Forum Member

I'm 6'2. Thanks didn't know all of that. You hear so many diff things never know which ones are true, you know what I mean

11xx

Thread Information