Like Tree74Likes

Thread: Fdny List 6019

Forum Member

Maybe you should join the NYPD. I hear they give away free I-Pods

Thumbs down list #

anybody know what number they are up too?
    Last edited by Steve6019; 12-09-2008 at 08:12 PM.

Forum Member

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by CalmB4Storm View Post
    Maybe you should join the NYPD. I hear they give away free I-Pods
    "Good one". As far as the 90 day passes go, i did'nt have a problem useing mine. Tell them your a canadate and you should'nt have much of a problem. If anybody has a pass and not using it, drop me a line.
    FDNY Canidate - 6019

Forum Member

whne you go down for the first time to metrotech...i know that thye want 12 months worth of residency but do they want it from 2 different sources or is just 1 ok. I mean i have 12 months on visa statemenst ready. Do I also need to have something else like 12 months of bank statements as well??

Forum Member

When I went down I didn't know I needed to bring all 12 months of my bills so I just brought the 1st and the last of my phone and c/c bill. They said they needed all of them and I was only able to get my c/c bills for the entire year and thats all I turned in and I was ok with it. Hope it helps!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Steve6019 View Post
    calmb4storm talks like hes hot stuff and some authority figure on this thread, your not a real brother tough guy, your just a sarcastic thinks he knows it all take it easy your no better than anyone here just because your in the academy now

Easy now buddy. I could be wrong but I think calmb4storm has been on the job for some time now and works at the rock. The guy can only help. I could be wrong though....

Forum Member

Exclamation Some more respect

calmb4storm talks like hes hot stuff and some authority figure on this thread, your not a real brother tough guy, your just a sarcastic thinks he knows it all take it easy your no better than anyone here just because your in the academy now

I don't know who you are, but if you have been tracking this thread since it began, you would know who Calmb4storm is. He is not just another probie, candidate or wannabe firefighter posting on this thread. He is the real deal. He is part of the staff at the ROCK.

Word to the wise: If I were you, I would show a little more respect. If you can't deal with the sarcasm, then maybe this job isn't for you.

Once you get on the job, they're going to bust your chops like there is no tomorrow. It's the nature of the job and the brother's who carry on the tradition. Suck it up and drive on.
    FDNY 6019 #9XX

MembersZone Subscriber

hi all,
    Has anyone received their letter for the cpat? I know we were all told that it would be anywhere from Aug 11-23rd. Is that still the case? I know the city likes to hand things out last minute but I would of thought they would of gave us at least a month notice. I apperciate any info you all have.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by stationslave57 View Post
    So I'm pretty new to these forums and have found some good information here. I got a call from the Candidate Investigation Bureau yesterday and was told that I don't qualify for Veteran's Credit because I'm not a city resident. WTF?
    Thats wrong, you don't qualify for a residency credit, but if you're a veteran you get a veterans credit. Maybe he got confused? Did you try to take a resident credit? You definitely need to talk to someone about it. 718-999-FDNY. They can hook you up with an actual person at DCAS.
    Last edited by BoomBahtz6019; 07-25-2008 at 03:12 PM.

Forum Member

Whoa there pal, think you need to take a step back and realize who you are talking about because you are way off base.

Secondly as someone already said you need to be a little more respectful, calm is probably the most helpful person in these FDNY threads. He doesn't have to come on here and help us out he chooses to, so think a few seconds next time before you post something stupid like that.

Forum Member

I hear you with the NYSC problems Cuzz and a few people going to the prep course were having issues too, I already have a membership to a great gym that has everything I need to train and is close to home so I didn't even bother with the free trial after hearing about some of the problems people were having.

As for the residency proof QCFRANKC, I'm pretty sure that you only need 1 set of bills/statements that run through the entire year requested, I believe that was March 07-March 08, you'll also need your current residency proof. I just got my bank statements from March 07 to July 08, if I need more I have CC's and such as well.

MDEL210201, no one I know on this list has gotten a notice from DCAS on an exact date, and we're all starting to wonder as well it's kind of frustrating. For now I'm still planning on it being during those same 2 weeks they said it would be, hopefully we get the notices soon. Just keep working out, control the things you can control!

Exclamation appology

Quote Originally Posted by jemixxnyc View Post
    Whoa there pal, think you need to take a step back and realize who you are talking about because you are way off base.

Secondly as someone already said you need to be a little more respectful, calm is probably the most helpful person in these FDNY threads. He doesn't have to come on here and help us out he chooses to, so think a few seconds next time before you post something stupid like that.
    i would like to appologize to calm and anyone else, bad night and was just pist about something had no idea who calm was, simple as that

Forum Member

Sorry Steve. You're right, my sarcasm got the best of me. I was just waiting for the chance to use that NYPD/Free I-Pod line and it seemed a good time. You're also correct that since I'm in the academy now, I shouldn't act like some know it all. After all, it took me over 25 years to get there......again.
    Last edited by CalmB4Storm; 07-25-2008 at 11:42 PM.

Forum Member

Gentlemen,

I had a lot of luck with the NYSC membership. I got mine with the july group, even though i didnt end up getting in with the first class.

I used mine at the lincoln center location cause its close to my work, and a couple of my friends from the class had luck at the 10th st and 7th ave location, which they said is 24 hours for the guys that need that kind of arrangement.

Not only did it work for me, but im pretty sure they did give me 6 months, cause my membership just expired a couple weeks ago. If one location doesnt work, try another. Maybe the deal has kind of deteriorated since the first group, but who knows? Give it a shot at a couple of places.

As we get closer to the class, im thinking of moving from a weight lifting/boxing/running regimen to a more cardiovascular and calistenic based program. If anyone is interested in getting a group together once or twice a week to start doing those calistenic/running circuits everybody was talking about earlier on the thread, i would be happy to try and put a time and a place together that works for us. And as our 1.5 mile run nears, im sure we could add a day for that too.

As an aside, i went to another NYSC on the upper west side when i first was looking around for a good location, and the lady saw my paperwork from the FDNY and said, "wait a minute. you want to be a fireman? F**k, go upstairs, workout! You dont need anything, EVER, to workout here." I didnt take her up on her offer - after all - were not firemen yet...but how 'bout that? I cant wait to join this department and be a part of something new yorkers respect as much as the FDNY. I know everybody else on this thread is the same way...so lets get ready to rock, fellas.

Forum Member

If you're working out with heavy weights, stop. Do tons of high rep low weight sets, I've never been a fan of that but is absolutely what you need to be prepared for here. Doing a few hundred push ups daily isn't uncommon. Get your legs and hands(yes, hands) as strong as you can, and you'll be a pt monster, and laugh at the hose line.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by stationslave57 View Post
    So I'm pretty new to these forums and have found some good information here. I got a call from the Candidate Investigation Bureau yesterday and was told that I don't qualify for Veteran's Credit because I'm not a city resident. WTF?
    First off: Are you a city resident?
    If not, are you a New York State resident?

If you are currently an out-of-state resident, you are ineligible for the Veteran's Credit per NYS law.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Irish6019 View Post
    If you're working out with heavy weights, stop. Do tons of high rep low weight sets, I've never been a fan of that but is absolutely what you need to be prepared for here. Doing a few hundred push ups daily isn't uncommon. Get your legs and hands(yes, hands) as strong as you can, and you'll be a pt monster, and laugh at the hose line.
    I can't say I'm a fan of those types of workouts either, but I guess we'll all have to adapt. When lifting I usually stick around the 10-12 rep range for almost all lifts, except squats, which in the past couple of months I've managed to turn into almost completely cardio-workout, doing between 15-25 reps each set. Seeing as how you're in probie school now, Irish, what types of lifts would you say are gonna be the most useful for us come January. Aside from lifting I'm doing calisthenics and running daily.

Forum Member

With 10 pound weights, we do bicep curls, squats, shoulder presses, tricep extensions and I am sure there are others I can't think of right now. Usually reps in the area of 20-30 but it just depends on who is doing the PT sessions.
    Lots of jumping jacks, push ups, crunches, planks, leg raises.

Work on grip strength for the hoseline. I have heard that taking a pullup bar and draping a towel over it and trying to do pullups by gripping onto the towel is a good way. Nevertheless grip strength is huge for the hoselines. It is also a big leg workout so don't forget about your lower body. And of course any cardio endurance you have will help you.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Advice

Guys, I don't come on here too much anymore because I'm too busy studying and doing that little bit of extra PT, but I can tell you guys this: four weeks in and this Academy is no joke tougher than USMC bootcamp. Make good and sure you are doing what you can to be ready for it. It's the godamn best thing that's ever happened to me and I'm proud to spend Mon-Fri getting the crap kicked outta me at the Rock and Sat and Sun prepping for the next a**-kicking. Pay mind to the Firefighters (Calm, Bam, South Bronx) that post on here and show 'em the respect they've earned. And listen to the good advice they're giving you. If you lack discipline, f***in' find it somewhere, because if you really want to be a New York City Firefighter, you're gonna need it.

Forum Member

POSTED 4/21/08

Quote Originally Posted by GettinReady6019 View Post

there is no way in hell that FDNY academy is harder than MARINE CORP BOOTCAMP. You can ask any MARINE/FDNY FF that!

FLA1786
    Firehouse.com Guest

Quote Originally Posted by CalmB4Storm View Post
    POSTED 4/21/08
    I would love to eat my words when I questioned if it was harder than BUD/S or pararescue indoc. Calm, are there max numbers on the PT tests? i.e. 20 pull ups gives you a perfect score...or is it pass fail?

Forum Member

Talking

the marines in my squad said its tougher than bootcamp. GUYS do the best you can to prepare for this, most of you have at least 5 months. Take advantage. Run your balls off and weight train 3-4 times a week. That prep course is good in preparing you for the cpat, but the cpat is a joke compaired to our daily routine. DONT QUIT Good luck everybody.

Forum Member

If anyone receives anything packets for the CPAT in august, please post and let us know.

Also, does anyone know of any prospective dates or even month that they will be doing the medicals? I scheduled my LASIK appointments for late august and then the procedure beginning of september, and I want to make sure that they won't interfere with the medical dates.

Thanks!

Forum Member

Hey guys, im sititng between 11k and 12k....will i ever get called for the physical or further processing? Curious...i know this exam is not like other exams and the rankings cannot be compared to the past exams...just curious.

Thread Information