Like Tree74Likes

Thread: Fdny List 6019

MembersZone Subscriber

This is a NY State Government hiring freeze.

This does not currently effect NYC Government, our Public Safety sector or list 6019.

Forum Member

Default Budget

Hiring freeze does not include essencial workforce. FDNY is essencial

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jemixxnyc View Post
    Just keep preparing the best you can and when the opportunity arrives you will be ready. Like I always say, worry about the things you can control, the rest is BS.
    QFT. Seems like there are always rumors of a hiring freeze... nothing any of us can do about it but keep doing what we're doing.

Forum Member

there have been hiring freeze rumors since the middle/end of 2043 so I wouldn't worry

Forum Member

What's up everyone, just joined the forums. In the 1700's, just did my interview the other day and my CPAT is in 2 weeks.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by matty21 View Post
    there have been hiring freeze rumors since the middle/end of 2043 so I wouldn't worry
    There were rummors in late 2001 believe it or not. This was due to the poor fiscal crisis facing the city. They only postponed one class in 2002 I think...but there hasn't been a freeze yet.

Today however things are much different.

Firemens ranks and most officers ranks are all over quota. There is little to no overtime and many 4 man engines have the pleasure of riding with 5 at the start of many tours.

Retirements aren't out pacing the ability to hire. (back in 02 we could put about 1300 probies through the rock a year and we had 2000+ a yr retiring for 3+years...now we are limited by the longer accademy to about 600 a year) So the need to hire isn't as great as it was in years past.

It is widely accepted now that this ecconomic downturn is much worse than that of 2001-2002 and the tax revenues from Wall St. will fall back to at least pre-2004 levels! NYS is in worse shape than the city and you can bet the city who isn't doing well already won't be getting much in the way of funding from Albany.

As for gaurantees on hiring because they will always need firemen and cops...etc. It is true to a point...there have been hiring freezes in the past and as I stated above the FDNY is well staffed as opposed to the NYPD which is far, far below authorized head count.

Also due to the ecconomy many guys will likey stick around for more years that originally anticipated by the city. (20+) Retire now and the looming potential jumps in inflation will kill your pension in short order...thus many guys are reconsidering their exit strategy.

In the end...all one can do is sit and wait and go on with your lives. Don't get hung up on any potential freezes...and if one should occur...well you have no control over it anyways.

FTM-PTB
    Last edited by FFFRED; 07-31-2008 at 05:23 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by stationslave57 View Post
    No, I'm currently living in Texas due to still being ACTIVE DUTY until Aug. 31. There has got to be an exception somewhere.
    To get residency points, You must reside within the five bourghs. As far a vet points, it shouldnt matter where you live. You severed you country, you get your points. I have to look, but i think i have a number to some military liason that might be able to help you. If i find it i will post it for you.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDNYUSMC View Post
    To get residency points, You must reside within the five bourghs. As far a vet points, it shouldnt matter where you live. You severed you country, you get your points. I have to look, but i think i have a number to some military liason that might be able to help you. If i find it i will post it for you.
    I was reading somewhere, don't remember where, but I'm pretty sure there is an exception for active duty on the residency credit. But to use residency you need to live in one of the listed areas. The veterans credit is a little bit different but they both tie together though, if you can't prove a residency of New York STATE then no vets credits...which is f*ckin bullsh*t. But it's the law. So lemme sum up, to use residency credit, you need to be a resident of the 5 boroughs or surrounding areas that they listed. Veterans credit needs a residency anywhere in the state of NY.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BoomBahtz6019 View Post
    I was reading somewhere, don't remember where, but I'm pretty sure there is an exception for active duty on the residency credit. But to use residency you need to live in one of the listed areas. The veterans credit is a little bit different but they both tie together though, if you can't prove a residency of New York STATE then no vets credits...which is f*ckin bullsh*t. But it's the law. So lemme sum up, to use residency credit, you need to be a resident of the 5 boroughs or surrounding areas that they listed. Veterans credit needs a residency anywhere in the state of NY.

You learn somthing new everyday. I didnt know that about vet points. And that is BS.

MembersZone Subscriber

I'd swear that's basically what I said
    I musta been talking out my @ss.

stationslave' - What is your state of home residence? What did you list on your DD-214 when you enlisted?
    That is what will determine if you are eligible for NYS Veteran's Credit.
    If it is not NY, you are SOL.
    New York is odd that way.

Forum Member

ffbam is absolutely rite. i got veterans credit and was stationed in puerto rico when i took the test. as long as your home of record is new york your fine. also when you took the test did you put your ny adress on the fdny papers? if not then that may have somehing to do with it

MembersZone Subscriber

Hi all,
    I have been training but feel that I could be cutting it close for the physical and the medical. I went to Metrotech yesterday to start the investigation. Does anyone know if I can postpone the physical and medical? If so, does anyone know how I can go about doing this? My dates are set for Aug 16th, 17th and 23rd. If I cannot reschedule it, then I will just take it and hope for the best.

I am brutually honest with myself and I'd rather train alittle more and go into the cpat and medical feeling very confident rather then blowing my shot at getting in.

Thanks all for your help

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MDEL210201 View Post
    Hi all,
    I have been training but feel that I could be cutting it close for the physical and the medical. I went to Metrotech yesterday to start the investigation. Does anyone know if I can postpone the physical and medical? If so, does anyone know how I can go about doing this? My dates are set for Aug 16th, 17th and 23rd. If I cannot reschedule it, then I will just take it and hope for the best.

I am brutually honest with myself and I'd rather train alittle more and go into the cpat and medical feeling very confident rather then blowing my shot at getting in.

Thanks all for your help
    Sorry I cant answer your question.... Just wondering what number you are... I'm trying to see how far up the list they have reached...

Forum Member

You got 3 tries to do it...and if you can run the 1.5 in under 12 you should be good on your CPAT. Everyone's different, but if you have been training you really shouldn't have a problem. It's pass/fail, there's no cutting it close. High reps, low weight. You got a couple weeks, thats enough time to make the switch in your training, if you haven't been doing that already...

Forum Member

You think DCAS/FDNY will reach 7000 off of 6019? They went through a crap load of people to get this first class of 300 and i imagine the ratio of eligible people to new hires will increase as we get deeper into the list. I'm sitting 6800's so i'm really hoping they hit me before this list is done. Opinions?
    Sh*t List 6019 - 68xx's

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SurferP View Post
    You think DCAS/FDNY will reach 7000 off of 6019? They went through a crap load of people to get this first class of 300 and i imagine the ratio of eligible people to new hires will increase as we get deeper into the list. I'm sitting 6800's so i'm really hoping they hit me before this list is done. Opinions?
    Easily. My estimate(so long as there are no freezes, and i REALLY doubt there will be) is that this list will go over 10,000 no problem. It took 840ish to get the 220 or so spots available this first class.

Although I would really try and put it out of your mind for a while, the anticipation is ridiculously stressful, and it only gets worse when you're trying to figure out if you did everything right and are going to make it onto the rock.

Forum Member

6019 is set to expire in December 2012. But dont quoat me on that. It's what i have heard. So if they put 2 classes in a year, then the FDNY should go far on list.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDNYUSMC View Post
    6019 is set to expire in December 2012. But dont quoat me on that. It's what i have heard. So if they put 2 classes in a year, then the FDNY should go far on list.
    can't the list only last a maximum of 4 years since it was established. it was officially established sometime in the spring of this year i think so it will end spring of 2012. also, i thought they went up to low 1000's to get this first class as well, like btwn 1000 - 1200?
    Sh*t List 6019 - 68xx's

Forum Member

Hey surferp They sent out packets up to list number 1207 so that way they'll have plenty of leeway on people to call but 884 of the 1207 went into the first class . just cause they send you a packet doesn't necessarily mean you'll make that class. one of my buddies is in the 1100's and got the pcket he thought he'd make the july class but is now going in the january class

Forum Member

hey calm hows class going?any more drop outs?also whats your opinion on the hiring freeze will it affect this list

Forum Member

Lightbulb

Guys I don't know anymore if 6019 will go as deep as everyone thinks right now. I original thought it would reach at least 5000 , but now I don't even if that's going to happen. Fact , only about 10 retired for the month of july. That's not good at all if that continues. 39xx

Forum Member

Lightbulb thoughts on future hiring

Guys I don't know anymore if 6019 will go as deep as everyone thinks right now. I original thought it would reach at least 5000 , but now I don't even know if that's going to happen. Fact , only about 10 retired for the month of july. That's not good at all if that continues. 39xx
    Last edited by exam6019; 08-02-2008 at 07:51 PM.

Forum Member

I also have a question about the vets preference. If you enlist in the military from a state besides NY State, but will be a state and city resident by the time of the exam and list establishment, do they still give you the veterans preference? Not looking for this past exam but down the road. Thanks.

Forum Member

We reached list # 840 for class 2 of 08 (first for 6019). The only thing with that is this class kind of surprised people with how fast it all came together. A lot of guys deferred because they were honest with themselves and knew they weren't ready.

Moving on to the CPAT. It's not that hard. If your remotely in shape and you keep a steady pace you'll be fine.

To the guy that was worried about sweating his balls off with a long sleeve shirt for the cpat.................... Get used to it bro. If all goes well for you, you'll be running around in full bunker gear in 90 degree heat. You will sweat like you've never sweat before. You'll drink 3 gallons of water a day and barely pis$ any of it out

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mike13310 View Post
    hey calm hows class going?any more drop outs?also whats your opinion on the hiring freeze will it affect this list

The State employees have nothing to do with NYC.....PERIOD

Thread Information