Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 73 of 618 FirstFirst ... 23637071727374757683123173573 ... LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,460 of 12347
Like Tree74Likes

Thread: Fdny List 6019

Exclamation Words of Wisdom

Quote Originally Posted by hopefully09 View Post
    Hey cuzzz, yes my case is closed as per my investigator.
    Hopefully09:

That's great bro.. Good luck on your run..

Now, this is for the probies currently in this July class.. I am in the military and I speak from experience when I say, "help each other out." The squad leader is responsible for what you do and don't do.

Make their lives easier by policing each other up. Just look out for each other. People have a tendency of just looking out for their own best interests, but on this job or ANY paramilitary organization, that kind of an attitude is a NO-GO. Keep each other in check. Don't Buddy F*ck your fellow squad members or your squad leaders.. This will only make your lives more difficult and YOU WILL STAND OUT in the eyes of the D.I's.

I don't mean to sound like an a**hole or anything. Just please keep that in mind.
    FDNY 6019 #9XX

Forum Member

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Irish6019 View Post
    Ok, so I'm bag shopping. I'm looking at the under armor ones because I trust their products and will be easy to color in the lettering to black.

http://www.ebags.com/under_armour/la...?modelid=48563

Is that one too big? Or is that about the size of the bag they sell at the quartermaster. I forgot to get approximate measurements while i was there.
    - hey irish are you going to send for that bag or is there a store where uve seen it at?

Forum Member

Default shins splints?

Anyone here still getting shin splints. I bought two pairs of really good running shoes from Road Runner as well as insoles.(the guy was very helpful about my certain situation and he gave a 10% discount for being a proby in the FD). I stretch before and after runs,ice,and take anti-inflam. Im goin into the class july 1st and im a little nervous about this because i know were gonna do ALOT of running. Ive heard from friends from previous classes that alot of people suffer from them throughout the class. anyone else having this problem.thanks
    Congrats to all of us about to start. ive been following this thread since it started and its been very helpful.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BrOOkLyN718 View Post
    - hey irish are you going to send for that bag or is there a store where uve seen it at?
    I plan on looking around for this bag. I'm just gonna color the under armour letters in with a black marker.

Forum Member

does anybody know what number they have gone up to for the run on the 23rd

Forum Member

I picked up an underarmor bag from Modells. Its their 'medium' and looks similar in size to the one from the QM. So far it looks like it should handle everything we need to put in it without problem. THe only hitch is the gaudy emroidered logo/letters on the side.

If its okay to color them in with the marker, thats a better idea (and faster too) than attempting to cut through/pull out the threads.

THe bag ran $40, but if youve got a decent sales pitch, you can probably talk the store into helping you out with the FD's 10% discount too.

Also, the shoes thing. I keep hearing 'polish the shoes,' but theyre look pretty shiny straight out of the box. Ive got a can of kiwi ready to go, but am I missing something here?
    CableGuy516 likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CalmB4Storm View Post
    Get in the sink Johnny!

HAHA! 10-4 send!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by SkylinePCG View Post
    Also, the shoes thing. I keep hearing 'polish the shoes,' but theyre look pretty shiny straight out of the box. Ive got a can of kiwi ready to go, but am I missing something here?
    First, you got 1 pr dress shoes and 1 pr work duty shoes. The dress shoes are made of shiny plasticy stuff that does not require polish. THESE ARE NOT THE ONES WE ARE WEARING!! We are wearing work duty shoes. Take both pairs out and you'll be able to see the difference. Make sure you polish the work duty shoes. If one of the D.I. 's reaches down and rubs his finger on your shoe and it don't come up black you're in for it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy2times View Post
    ( First question ) Probably only a member from the FDNY could answer .... After a probie passes "DA ROCK" and clears all the other hurdles. Do the FDNY give you a choice were you'd like to work, Or they just put you were ever they need you? Say the FD have 5 houses that need FF's 2 in Brooklyn 2 in the Bronx and one in Queens, Would they let you know what houses need people and give you a choice to pick a house or they just put you where ever they want?

( Second question ) Do the FDNY let you get a 2nd job right away if you wanted a 2nd job or do you have to wait after a period of time?

( Third Question ) I know that FDNY members work about 2 or 3 days a week. But could somebody break the days & hours down for me?

Thanks

You know, for somebody who throws around the term square rooter and is as old school and cut from a different stone as you are, you sure ask alot of questions about what the FDNY will do for you as opposed to what you can do for it. Get on the job first and bust your hump a lil bit then ask questions like that... that's what you said right?

Forum Member

Anyone still having running problems after buying different shoes and such...try changing the technique is all i can say. If you're landing flat footed you're wrong. Also landing on the balls of your feet is wrong. You wanna try to land right on your heel and roll forward to push off your toes. TOES...not the ball of your foot. It feels weird, you get used to it. If you're STILL having problems after that...then yea, thats just life...

Forum Member

The way I see it ... Get on the job first. Bust your hump for a lil bit. Earn the right to be called "brother" THEN ask a question like that. I'm sorry if it came out strong but I'm cut from a "different stone" that's all. I'm young but I think like I'm from the "old school"
    the way i see it... get a life dude and stop getting all high and mighty on an internet message board. If you don't like a guys question ignore it, enough with your condescending attitude telling people how your a stone cut from the old school and they need to work harder. I can see your gonna be the guy that gets on everybody's nerves.

MembersZone Subscriber

Hey all,
    Just got a letter in the mail today about the physical preparation at the rock. The one thing I noticed is that the preparation dates at the rock are the same dates as the cpat orientation in Long Island City....whats up with that? I notice the times are different but what if the Orientation in LIC takes a while. Leave it up to the city

Forum Member

Oh and for the people who never polished a boot in their life, here's some tips. Being in the military taught me a thing or two about shining. you dont have to load the wax on there, just enough to see it. LET IT DRY...if you start to buff the wax before it settles in to the leather you're just taking wax right back off. Use water when you buff it out because the water will repel the wax and keep it from coming off. It will look like you're getting nowhere at first...keep rubbing the wax into the leather. It will start to shine. Another thing you can do is take a lighter or heat gun...blow torch...anything that is hot, and after you get some wax on your boot shoot some heat at it. This will melt the wax into the crevices in the leather and then make sure you let it dry again. Then buff it out. When you're done you'll be able to shave in your damn steel toe. 15 minutes after you wear them your boots are F'd up anyways, but just go home and do it again. It lets people know that you go the extra mile. Finally--don't tell the DI's--mop and glow. It does wonders and makes your shine last a long time. I don't know how probie school works so I'm not sure how big of a deal the boots shining thing is...but if it's like basic, make sure they're shiny as hell

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by jacobeast2 View Post
    You know, for somebody who throws around the term square rooter and is as old school and cut from a different stone as you are, you sure ask alot of questions about what the FDNY will do for you as opposed to what you can do for it. Get on the job first and bust your hump a lil bit then ask questions like that... that's what you said right?
    I didn't ask if the FDNY pays me for my schooling ...

2nd I served my country for 5yrs ... While you was shooting hoops in ur local park ..... I was shooting my m16 ... You can't F with me ur just a civilian.

BTW for the record I'm not here to pick on / fight with any of you ... You never know I might have to save your a** one day or you might save mine.
    Good luck to all. Like I said b4 it just came out hard.
    Last edited by Jimmy2times; 06-19-2008 at 01:58 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Oops what a dope I am. One of the dates is different.

MembersZone Subscriber

2nd I served my country for 5yrs ... While you was shooting hoops in ur local park ..... I was shooting my m16 ... You can't F with me ur just a civilian.
    Wrong again, tough guy. I spent 6 years active duty and 4 reserve in the Marine infantry. Throw in a tour in Iraq with that. Guarantee I was honorably discharged long before your little shavetail a** even so much as set foot in a recruiting office. and I've definitely sent more lead down range than you have. I am more than qualified to "F with you". You asked if you're gonna get your pick of houses; if that ain't a square rooter question I don't know what is. Worse than asking about money for education. Someone else here said it; you are gonna be the guy that gets on everybody's nerves

Forum Member

ouch...

OUCH...

Forum Member

Wrong again, tough guy. I spent 6 years active duty and 4 reserve in the Marine infantry. Throw in a tour in Iraq with that. Guarantee I was honorably discharged long before your little shavetail a** even so much as set foot in a recruiting office. and I've definitely sent more lead down range than you have. I am more than qualified to "F with you". You asked if you're gonna get your pick of houses; if that ain't a square rooter question I don't know what is. Worse than asking about money for education. Someone else here said it; you are gonna be the guy that gets on everybody's nerves
    OOWWWW....MY...PRIDE!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by BoomBahtz6019 View Post
    OOWWWW....MY...PRIDE!!!
    Uh, what?

Forum Member

...thats what jimmy must be sayin...i think the stress is gettin to everyone. doesn't matter who the square rooter is till you're riding a truck right? just my opinion...

Thread Information