Like Tree74Likes

Thread: Fdny List 6019

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by tomace95 View Post
    I have a question. I live in North Carolina (moved from the NY area just after the test) and I am 3xxx on the list. I can't quit my current job and move back to the NY area unless I know I am definitely hired which from what I understand doesn't happen until 2 or 3 weeks before class starts. The way I read the residency requirements that I don't need to have my NYC or surrounding county address until appointment. My question is when exactly is "appointment"? Also, will the fact that I live in NC slow down my investigation process? I'm sure some of you are in the same boat as me. Can anyone provide some insight. Thanks
    Appointment is the day you raise your right hand and take the oath...this, for most, usually occurs 1 week before the accademy class offically begins. You need to have all your paperwork in order prior to swearing in. NYS DL....bank account or other bills to prove residency.

FTM-PTB

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by QCFRANKC View Post
    Just got word from a friend of mine...LIST # 234X....just got his big yellow investigative packet in the mail yesterday as of 08/13/2008.
    That's weird... I'm 22XX and didn't get mine yet... hopefully it's on the way. I live in staten island, so it shouldn't take that much longer to get it than others... should it?
    6019 / #22--

Forum Member

Default Medical

I heard that you have to take the medical again after you finish the academy and that is the last step to getting on the job. I believe you do the medical once a year after that.Can anyone tell me if this is true? thanks a lot. Shanny

Forum Member

im in the current class just want to let u guys know take this very serious...i was in ur shoes b4 i got in and reading this shyt goin yea yea im in good shape ill be fine.if u are worried about the medical,or finishing the cpat in enough time u have a rude awaking.i struggle everyday cardio wise i was not ready. and that is 90 percent of this academy.this is the toughest thing u will ever do.i played college sports and this is 10xs worse.i am beat up everyday wen i go home.its like groundhog day everyday.wake up at 330am get there at 5am get asked a question 1st thing in the mourning.if u get it wrong u have 2 carry a length of hose around all day.then u go in and study,roll call they abuse u inspect ur gear,uniforms shaved head or face if u **** up u lift ur bags over ur head for a long period of time its a terrible feeling.then u double time it 2 class 2 class wen u have 2 change u run up to 3rd floor with bag and have atleast 150 guys changing all over each other rushing and dis screaming hurry up.u have pt 2 times a week and fst once a week.fst isone of the worse things u will do its like the old physical and new physical combined and u do it with a cylinder and air.full bunker gear as well.and if u have t after u do the smokehouse its gonna be rough was the worse day of my life lol.they have no remorse they are screaming and yelling.the first 5 weeks were crazy tests after test.u go home if u have the late class get home around 7 try and study for 2 hrs shower,eat sleep same everyday...sat only day 2 elax and u feel guilty if u are not studyinglol sunday u prepare for the week ur life is totally gone.my advice 2 u is be able 2 run 3 miles non stop b4 getting in u will be fine.work out 5 days a week if u can light weight alot of reps practically no breaks in bettween.if u dont have strong legs i suggest u make them strong alot of things are easier cause i have strong legs.be prepared 2 study ur *** of they are big on academics u can know ur shyt and still fail ive seen it done.the test are tricky 20 questions in 20 min one a week.u have 2 really want this job.i count off everyday. its tough and hoping i make it till graduation. if i can help anyone at all just ask some questions be more then happy 2 help...i wont be on that much after next week cause our hazmat and peace officer traing is over and back 2 bizness leaves u no time for anything...reason im doin this is cause i got a lot of info off other guys here wen i was getting in...keep the faith maybe dreams do come true? keep on top of ur investigators the sqeaky wheel,get the grease good luck

Forum Member

Talking 6019

im in the current class just want to let u guys know take this very serious...i was in ur shoes b4 i got in and reading this shyt goin yea yea im in good shape ill be fine.if u are worried about the medical,or finishing the cpat in enough time u have a rude awaking.i struggle everyday cardio wise i was not ready. and that is 90 percent of this academy.this is the toughest thing u will ever do.i played college sports and this is 10xs worse.i am beat up everyday wen i go home.its like groundhog day everyday.wake up at 330am get there at 5am get asked a question 1st thing in the mourning.if u get it wrong u have 2 carry a length of hose around all day.then u go in and study,roll call they abuse u inspect ur gear,uniforms shaved head or face if u **** up u lift ur bags over ur head for a long period of time its a terrible feeling.then u double time it 2 class 2 class wen u have 2 change u run up to 3rd floor with bag and have atleast 150 guys changing all over each other rushing and dis screaming hurry up.u have pt 2 times a week and fst once a week.fst isone of the worse things u will do its like the old physical and new physical combined and u do it with a cylinder and air.full bunker gear as well.and if u have t after u do the smokehouse its gonna be rough was the worse day of my life lol.they have no remorse they are screaming and yelling.the first 5 weeks were crazy tests after test.u go home if u have the late class get home around 7 try and study for 2 hrs shower,eat sleep same everyday...sat only day 2 elax and u feel guilty if u are not studyinglol sunday u prepare for the week ur life is totally gone.my advice 2 u is be able 2 run 3 miles non stop b4 getting in u will be fine.work out 5 days a week if u can light weight alot of reps practically no breaks in bettween.if u dont have strong legs i suggest u make them strong alot of things are easier cause i have strong legs.be prepared 2 study ur *** of they are big on academics u can know ur shyt and still fail ive seen it done.the test are tricky 20 questions in 20 min one a week.u have 2 really want this job.i count off everyday. its tough and hoping i make it till graduation. if i can help anyone at all just ask some questions be more then happy 2 help...i wont be on that much after next week cause our hazmat and peace officer traing is over and back 2 bizness leaves u no time for anything...reason im doin this is cause i got a lot of info off other guys here wen i was getting in...keep the faith maybe dreams do come true? keep on top of ur investigators the sqeaky wheel,get the grease good luck

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by shanahan14 View Post
    I heard that you have to take the medical again after you finish the academy and that is the last step to getting on the job. I believe you do the medical once a year after that.Can anyone tell me if this is true? thanks a lot. Shanny
    You take a medical almost every year of your career... If you are hiding something they will probably find it.

FTM-PTB

Forum Member

since roughly 880 people went in the first class is that a decent number to base future class list numbers off. i know nothings for sure but in the past is that how it worked?

26**

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by myles8683 View Post
    since roughly 880 people went in the first class is that a decent number to base future class list numbers off. i know nothings for sure but in the past is that how it worked?

26**
    I highly doubt it. I think many in that 880 who did not enter this class will be in the next or subsequent classes.

Further, I'm not sure attrition numbers will require classes of 300+ after the next class or two.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by smokehouse21 View Post
    whoa.....!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by hopefully09 View Post
    January is coming closer by the day just trying to gear up the best I can.
    I hear you, it's creeping up fast! Just passed my physical so one less thing to worry about, have to just keep running and keep in the gym it will be here before we know it.

Anyone got anything on the medical yet?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fdnyjan09 View Post

Anyone got anything on the medical yet?
    Haven't gotten anything in the mail, but I had to drop off some papers at MetroTech earlier today and while I was there a lady in CID punched my list# and SS# into her computer and told me that my medical was Thursday 8/28.

List# 13xx.

Forum Member

Default medical

thanks FFFRED,

The reason I was asking about that is that i've bulked up since the last one and am about 13 pounds heavier(muscle & fat). The stairmaster might be a lot harder with that extra weight, so i wanna drop a few pounds. Does anybody know if you have to take the medical again right after you finish the academy ? thanks

MembersZone Subscriber

Default I am now officially cross-eyed.

Quote Originally Posted by smokehouse21 View Post
    Thanks for your insights to the current class smokehouse.

Guys after reading the worlds' longest text message ever posted, take in the advice he has posted.

We're not all English majors here, but smokehouse....D@MN!!! My eyes hurt. Take some time out to use all the keys to type out "y-o-u" and "t-o". Also, the Enter Key is your friend. It can help break that up into something not so jumbled.

Keep us posted. It gets better.
    Hang tough.
    bam

Forum Member

Default Im in the current class

the **** is not easy. My advise is run your *** off everyday. When i was training i was training at 9 - 10 min miles for like 3-4 miles. Thats good, sometimes we go that speed. But sometimes they will hit us with a 3.5 mile run at a 7:30 min mile pace.
    Another thing don't throw out the weighted vest and stairmaster training after you pass the medical and physical. That is good training for FST (Functional Skills Training).
    If you can go to the CPAT training classes at the rock at least once a week, even if you already passed they will give you gold.
    Overall I love going to work everyday, but you will only enjoy it more if you are prepared. Expect to have no outside life for a while. You have to dedicate yourself.
    GOOD LUCK EVERYBODY, anybody have any questions on how things are done let me know.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by praying6019 View Post
    Overall I love going to work everyday, but you will only enjoy it more if you are prepared. Expect to have no outside life for a while. You have to dedicate yourself.
    Exactly the way I feel, except, if you're not prepared, you will hate it. I see guys everywhere that look like zombies, while some of us are able to get our asses kicked, then have a smile on our faces. Whatever kind of training you are doing now, Especially if you've never a) been in the military or b) played a serious organized sport, is most likely not enough. If you don't kick you *** now, you can be assured that the health and fitness unit will take care of that for you.

Forum Member

guys any word on what number there up to with the packets

Forum Member

I know I read someone went in person or called and found out they have the medical on 8/28. Just wanted to let people know they are sending out the letters for the medical, my number is 134# and I just got my letter today for thursday 8/28 at 6:45am sharp. Also the letter comes with alittle medical questionnaire that you have to get notarized. Seems like they are moving right along which is a great thing. Keep training all.
    List # 13**

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by shanahan14 View Post
    thanks FFFRED,

The reason I was asking about that is that i've bulked up since the last one and am about 13 pounds heavier(muscle & fat). The stairmaster might be a lot harder with that extra weight, so i wanna drop a few pounds. Does anybody know if you have to take the medical again right after you finish the academy ? thanks
    You retake everything at the end of your probation. When I took my med there were guys there doing there probation medical.

Forum Member

Thanks Matty

Forum Member

Whats up fellas......MY LIST # IS 20XX .....i havent been on in a while......i just recieved my packet the other day and oh boy its alot of stuff .......i started this morning at 7 am and just finished up about 1/4 of the information ...i know it seems like alot of time but i dont want anything left out........anyone who hasnt gotten there packet yet, be prepared for the large amount of paperwork coming your way.....take your time and READ the instuctions...READ EVERYTHING!...They want to know everything about you, from the first job you ever had to the color underwear you prefer wearing on a daily basis!

Forum Member

+1 to what the other fellas that are in this current academy have stated. It is going to be way more than (most of) you can or will prepare yourself for; not just physically, but because it is also extremely mentally challenging.

Couple those two together and you've got one hell of an awakening when you get here. But, it is 100% doable if you HAVE HEART and determination. Those are weapons you can't train to have, but are just as vital in surviving this academy. There will be physical and mental hurdles that can only be cleared by gritting your teeth, lowering your shoulder, and giving it your all.

If you don't have heart, determination, a strong ambition to learn, the ability to STFU and listen to instructors and DIs, and follow directions, you'd be better off to look for a job somewhere else. Don't come in thinking you know anything or you're going to be able to do it your own way, because you'll be very, very wrong.

As for the physical stuff; CARDIO, push-ups, high reps/light weight circuit/bodyweight training, CARDIO, push-ups, and CARDIO. Don't build your "beach muscles" and think you'll be able to get by, because you'll be surprised at the "ripped" guys that are struggling with 10lb dumbells.

Train your legs and get really familiar with a weighted vest and stairs, because you'll quickly be carrying about 100 lbs of gear up many flights of stairs.

Most importantly, don't bring your attitude. The d-bags will out themselves quickly and will be dealt with by the DIs or by their own squads. It's really not fun to get busted down because someone else can't quite figure out the importance of shaving daily, being properly squared away with their gear, or following any number of other simple instructions. LISTEN AND FOLLOW DIRECTIONS.

With all that said, prepare for the best training in the whole fuggin world. Prepare to be part of the greatest job and the greatest organization in the world. The sense of pride you'll feel when you put on that uniform with that patch or that bunker gear with those 4 letters is something you can't even begin to imagine.

The sense of brotherhood you'll feel among your fellow probies, helping each other out when they forget a part of their uniform, or are struggling to grasp a concept, or they have something happen at home, totally outside of academy, is something you won't understand until you see it and are a part of it.

I'd be lying if there weren't nights where I was feeling beaten like a red-headed step-child or 4AM mornings where I wonder, "What the hell am I putting myself through?" But, those moments are short-lived and easily overcome by realizing where I am, what I'm working toward, and that I know I can get through it.

If it were easy, everyone would do it. To paraphrase one of the quotes in the gym, "If you want something you've never had, you've gotta be willing to do something you've never done."

What you've heard is true. This is the greatest job in the world and I haven't even had a taste of it outside of the academy. But, you'll begin to see it; even in proby school.

If you're getting ready for upcoming classes; keep working out, stay clean, and stay dedicated. You don't even know what you're in for. Good luck.
    Just a peon proby in the greatest job in the world; grinning ear to ear.

Forum Member

Seminole, that was a very insightful post. All the recent posts by the guys in the current academy's given me awesome motivation. Thank you all!

As for me, I'm in the upper end of the 1300's and I've received my medical letter yesterday. I am to report in at 6:45 a.m. on 8/29. Here's what's on the letter:

You are cautioned to abstain from the ingestion of quinine water, tonic or other
    quinine-based drinks. You must also abstain from consuming ANY poppy seed products, including poppy seed bagels. If you have ingested quinine-based drinks or any poppy seed products in the last 72 hours you must inform the Bureau of Health Services of this face on the date of your examination....

REQUIREMENTS:

1. It is highly suggested that you have a light breakfast with no sugar and that you drink plenty of water.

2. Please bring a pen with you to the exam.

3. No contact lenses are permitted. If you wear them, you must bring the case to put them in.

4. Wear gym clothes and sneakers...report in clean shaven.

5. No firearms permitted...

6. Don't bring anyone with you. lol.

7. Due to extremely tight security, do not bring any backpacks, bags, etc.

8. Failure to keep this appointment will result in your being marked NOT QUALIFIED....Bring proper I.D.

whew~ that's all, fellas. lol.
    6019- was sitting at 13xx
    2000- now sitting at 18xx

MembersZone Subscriber

Does anyone know if it is possible to push back the cpat test for next class. I'am concerned that I may need more time to pass the cpat and medical. I rather wait a few more months then blow my chances. If so, how do I do it? I know it says to write a letter if I can't attend before the 23rd but what do u say... Do I need an explibation in the letter? Thanks all

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MDEL210201 View Post
    Does anyone know if it is possible to push back the cpat test for next class. I'am concerned that I may need more time to pass the cpat and medical. I rather wait a few more months then blow my chances. If so, how do I do it? I know it says to write a letter if I can't attend before the 23rd but what do u say... Do I need an explibation in the letter? Thanks all

If you have an injury which may impact your ability to pass the CPAT or medical, you can defer to a later date.

However, if you are out of shape and medically unfit at this time, it's likely after you pass the tests you will then revert back to a state of poor physical condition.

If the latter is the case, I suggest you look elsewhere for employment.

JMHO

Forum Member

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by CalmB4Storm View Post
    If you have an injury which may impact your ability to pass the CPAT or medical, you can defer to a later date.

However, if you are out of shape and medically unfit at this time, it's likely after you pass the tests you will then revert back to a state of poor physical condition.

If the latter is the case, I suggest you look elsewhere for employment.

JMHO
    Calm,

I completely agree with you. I am not on the job, but I am on pace for Jan 09. The way I see it is, EVERY candidate has had over 1 1/2 years to prepare physically, since the written test was administered. If people were not in shape then, by now they should be PT studs, if they have been working out and getting ready to come on this job.

I am not here to insult anybody, because we are all here to support each other. That is the purpose of this thread, but if people are not physically ready to take a CPAT or pass a medical after 1 1/2 years, obviously he or she does not want this job bad enough.

If anyone takes this to heart, I am sorry, but oh well. It is what it is.

Do yourselves a favor, if you're much lower on the list, GET IN SHAPE NOW.. Don't wait till you start the process, to figure out that you're not in shape.. NO NEED FOR THAT.. Either you want the job or you don't.
    FDNY 6019 #9XX

Thread Information