Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 75 of 618 FirstFirst ... 25657273747576777885125175575 ... LastLast
Results 1,481 to 1,500 of 12347
Like Tree74Likes

Thread: Fdny List 6019

Quote Originally Posted by BoomBahtz6019 View Post
    Go for some long runs. The weight vest will get your heart pumping faster but it kills your knees unless you're rollerblading or something. The longer you get your heart going the more used to work it will get. Sprints take care of the hard aspect, but distance will lower your heart rate. The weight vest is great though for stair work and just wear it while you work out. You will adapt to wearing the weight and it will be easier when it comes time to do your cpat.
    I think I'm gonna run with a 40Lbs vest I got from modell's but I think that's a good idea. It's been a while since I've had to run. LOL thx 4 the reply.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy2times View Post
    I think I'm gonna run with a 40Lbs vest I got from modell's but I think that's a good idea. It's been a while since I've had to run. LOL thx 4 the reply.
    do you know when your medical is? or did you already take it...

do you know when your medical is? or did you already take it...
    I didn't get anything for the medical yet. Did you? And what's you list number (appox) ?

Forum Member

I wouldn't necessarily run with the weight vest....

To prepare for the CPAT i did the 75 pounds of the weight vest for at least 5 minutes (you only do 3:20, so the 5 minutes at least got me used to it).

I ran a decent amount.

For the medical, I did the 50 lbs weight vest and did 10 minutes on the stairmaster.
    Then I ran a decent amount.

The combination of the running to keep my heart rate down, and the weight vest to get me used to climbing the stairs for a period of time (always training for longer than I would have had to) got me good to go for both the CPAT (passed first time) and medical (Passed first time)

Good luck guys, and if you are on the stairmaster at the medical, DO NOT LOOK AT THE HEART RATE MONITOR!!!

Forum Member

Going for a run in a weight vest is about as good an idea as going to a party in sweat pants with a boner.

Keep it on the stairs ONLY, pounding the pavement with that thing on will literally ruin you. On the stairs though, that thing works wonders. I did my medical without breaking a sweat, and breezed through the cpat with a smile on my face. 50 pounds, 60 steps/minute, 10 minutes. Once you can pull that off regularly, youll experience those tests the same way.

Forum Member

I didn't get anything for the medical yet. Did you? And what's you list number (appox) ?
    right around 2000. I didnt even get a packet yet. I should be coming up soon though. But I dont think you have to kill yourself just yet. I would just do moderate work. If you over train you end up setting yourself back A LOT

right around 2000. I didnt even get a packet yet. I should be coming up soon though. But I dont think you have to kill yourself just yet. I would just do moderate work. If you over train you end up setting yourself back A LOT
    you should get your pack soon. I'm about 200 numbers b4 your's. you should start to get ur paper work together. A few posts back somebody posed the paperwork you'll need.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by cobrajet4v View Post
    wow...this guy used words like:
    "recall", "tendency", "exacerbate", "incidents", "unpleasantness", and "apologize". you should stay on P.D.

Good luck to Everyone! Enjoy the academy!
    cops kan't spel dem wurds.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by tcfdDan View Post
    Just wanted to give a run down to remind everyone what we need the first day, and just as important to see if I forgot anything. Here goes:

Black duffell - NO WHEELS, NO LETTERING or markings of any sort.
    Both Probie Manuals
    Lunch
    Water Bottle
    3'x3' rug type thing for P/T
    P/T Shorts and P/T shirt
    Sneakers
    2 combo locks (same combo)
    Notebook
    3 black pens
    3 SHARPENED #2 pencils
    Black permanent marker

Uniform:
    Work Pants
    Steel toed boots (SHINED)
    Black socks
    Short sleeve dress shirt (PRESSED)
    White under shirt
    FDNY lapels
    Dress Hat
    SHAVED ON HEAD AND FACIAL HAIR!!!
    NO PIERCINGS!!!
    NO JEWELERY (except squad leaders watches)

Let's be prepared gentlemen! Let me know if I forgot something, but that is what I had written down....

Anyone know where to buy one 3'x3' rug type thing for P/T ???

Forum Member

I know what worked for me. I put a 75 lb dumbbell in a backpack (have to make sure its a thick material backpack) and I would do 15 min at 68 steps a min, then take it off and do 15 min at 75-82 steps a min. It worked very well. I would do that 7 days a week.

Forum Member

TCFD is right , I looked down at my heartrate monitor at the med and it went up. just concentrate on your breathing and think of something else and it's over b4 u know it
    CableGuy516 likes this.

Forum Member

Jimmy, I strongly recommend not running with the 40lbs. You can seriously damage your knees, increase the severity of shin splints, and even hurt your back. Use the vest for stairs, circuit training and calisthenics. Every fitness instructor at the rock will tell you not to use the vest for running you can really hurt yourself and thats the last thing any of us needs this close to getting in. I basically followed every piece of advice the instructors gave us and I got through everything without so much as breaking a sweat. Best of luck to all and stay focused.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Shoes

For anyone who has been though the academy do they want you to shine the whole shoe or just the toe and heal?
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things than to take rank with the poor timid spirits, who know neither victory nor defeat." FDR

Forum Member

Smile what is going on??

Hello all fdny on list # 6019....
    my question is, cause I have been out of touch ( my list # 66** ) how is the hiring going? what are my chances to be reached in the future? thanks and good luck to all that have made it....

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jemixxnyc View Post
    Anyone going into the July class have a weight vest they want to get rid of? I need one of those and they are damn expensive.
    I know the the vests are alot but I did some looking and found a cheap 40 lb one at amazon.com
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...UFSU8&v=glance

now its $59.99 and $9.99 to ship it so thats basically $70 but heres the good part if you sign up for the amazon.com credit card you get $30 off your first purchase which makes it $40. I know its not the 50lb vest but you could always carry weights in your hands to make up the extra weight.
    List # 13**

Quote Originally Posted by sffdnyhopeful View Post
    Jimmy, I strongly recommend not running with the 40lbs. You can seriously damage your knees, increase the severity of shin splints, and even hurt your back. Use the vest for stairs, circuit training and calisthenics. Every fitness instructor at the rock will tell you not to use the vest for running you can really hurt yourself and thats the last thing any of us needs this close to getting in. I basically followed every piece of advice the instructors gave us and I got through everything without so much as breaking a sweat. Best of luck to all and stay focused.

Ok bad idea..... No running with vest ...... Check!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ant195 View Post
    For anyone who has been though the academy do they want you to shine the whole shoe or just the toe and heal?
    Just do the toe. Don't even bother with the heel. Nobody really looks anyway. And when they do the run, just lag in the back, no sense knocking yourself out, it's a long day. During class, don't ask any questions, it just makes the class run longer. By the way, when you get into the field you only have to search the first room you find, if it's empty, most likely the rest are also.

Forum Member

Well I've missed some excitement the past few days. Good to see you guys back on track. And thanks for the replies about bags. And shoes for that matter.
    Last edited by Irish6019; 06-20-2008 at 07:38 PM.

Forum Member

Anyone in the BX looking for a ride on 7/1, Im in Woodlawn and have room for 2. We'll BE there in the parking lot at 5:30. Contact via PM.

Forum Member

You guys bringing your (bunker) gear in your car?

Thread Information