Like Tree74Likes

Thread: Fdny List 6019

Forum Member

Guys I just had the "interview" today down at MetroTech. I need some advice from people who have been through this process already.

They mentioned that the people who were in the interview today would have their medicals within a month. Is it possible for the medical to come that quick?

They didnt mention anything about the CPAT but i'm assuming that will come quick too. Isn't there supposed to be 12 weeks of orientations and a couple practices?

Can someone just clear up the steps of the whole process leading up to the academy and tell how much time they give you to get ready for this. My list number is in the low 2000's so this will help any one around my number.

They just really scared a lot of us by saying that 40 people off the last group failed the medical and ours was coming up within a month.

I mean i have been hitting the stairmaster with the vest, but still feel like i need more than a month more to prepare. Thanks guys

Forum Member

just get yourself in the best shape you can as quick as possible. assume you will have the medical within a month.

Forum Member

if they said your medical will be within a month then its definitely possible lol......my interview was in the second week of july and my medical is scheduled for this thursday the 28th. there are 2 CPAT orientations, 1 of which is mandatory, and then there are 2 practice CPAT runs and one final test. you're thinking of the 12 weeks of CPAT preparation at the rock which is voluntary. if you just had the medical today then you should have already gotten the mail about the CPAT prep classes at the academy ages ago, otherwise somebody seriously messed up delivering you your mail. just keep hitting the stairs and running (i've found that sprints, or HIIT, and fast-pace running 2 or 3 times a week in addition to stairs with the weighted vest another 2 or 3 times is a sure-fire way to getting your cardiovascular system ready) and checking the mail everyday for you medical exam notice.

Forum Member

Default Medical

I have been told if you fail your first medical, they give you another month to prepare for it. So, if you fail the med, you still have anther chance to do it.

Forum Member

unless you fail it for smoking too many dubies

Forum Member

very true.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BowHunter82 View Post
    Guys I just had the "interview" today down at MetroTech. I need some advice from people who have been through this process already.

They mentioned that the people who were in the interview today would have their medicals within a month. Is it possible for the medical to come that quick?

They didnt mention anything about the CPAT but i'm assuming that will come quick too. Isn't there supposed to be 12 weeks of orientations and a couple practices?

Can someone just clear up the steps of the whole process leading up to the academy and tell how much time they give you to get ready for this. My list number is in the low 2000's so this will help any one around my number.

They just really scared a lot of us by saying that 40 people off the last group failed the medical and ours was coming up within a month.

I mean i have been hitting the stairmaster with the vest, but still feel like i need more than a month more to prepare. Thanks guys
    Hey, Bowhunter. As Johnny's suggested, complement the stairmaster with sprints. Alternating sprints and jogs will definitely help you with your
    heart rate.
    6019- was sitting at 13xx
    2000- now sitting at 18xx

Forum Member

2nd class off 6019 scheduled for January and they're already getting up to the low 2000s for processing! this is GREAT news for me at 6800's. Now that PD renegotiated and is getting paid what they should i think a lot of people might be taking that job instead of FD as well. I would never. It's a shame the quality of people they let through to the PD these days though. Some of these guys are prior felons! Granted they aren't violent crimes but felons!? What happened to standards? My closest relative is on the job a couple years now. He/she has a 4 year degree at a "real" college. Not one of these Empire State College things where work experience counts as credits BS. She says the people she reports to and works with are absolute moronic d-bags. I've never heard that about anyone in the FD.
    Sh*t List 6019 - 68xx's

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SurferP View Post
    He/she has a 4 year degree at a "real" college. Not one of these Empire State College things where work experience counts as credits BS.
    The worst thing that ever happened to the quality of FDNY recruits was "college credit". Bunch of educated children who never worked a real job, never had a boss ride him, had no trade skills. Hands used to have calluses and dirty nails, then they had paper cuts and manicures.

Don't be too quick to knock work experience over "real" college credits until you've worked with the product of both.

Forum Member

Thumbs up Absolutely

Quote Originally Posted by CalmB4Storm View Post
    The worst thing that ever happened to the quality of FDNY recruits was "college credit". Bunch of educated children who never worked a real job, never had a boss ride him, had no trade skills. Hands used to have calluses and dirty nails, then they had paper cuts and manicures.

Don't be too quick to knock work experience over "real" college credits until you've worked with the product of both.
    AMEN.. I agree 100 %
    FDNY 6019 #9XX

Forum Member

It's funny that I have heard that a few times before from firefighters that I have talked to.
    List # 13**

Forum Member

Can anyone tell me who runs the medicals? FDNY or DCAS, or another department? Also, is there a phone number that I can reach them at? I called both places and both of them said the other runs them.

Thanks guys

Forum Member

Im list number 28xx does anybody know when I should be hearing anything from the FD?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ALLORNUTTIN6019 View Post
    Im list number 28xx does anybody know when I should be hearing anything from the FD?
    Sounded like they will not be doing any more processing until February of 2009.

I believe they are up to around 2200 with Investigative Packets.

Forum Member

i did two years in a "real"college (no college is real) before enlisting in the coast guard. i would hands down trust my life and well being to my coast guard buddies opposed to my "educated" friends. its just a toally different caliber of people.

Forum Member

calm i totally agree with your above statement

Forum Member

i dont think its fair to pigeon hole any particular group of people into one category or another. There are exceptions to any rule. There are complete ****** bags that have served in iraq and there are complete morons that have degrees from harvard. Why make such generalized statements. Its like saying hispanics are lazy, black people are criminals, and white people are racists.

Forum Member

Anybody here go to metro tech today? cant remember what they said we would recieve first....cpat stuff...or........med/phys

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by GettinReady6019 View Post
    Anybody here go to metro tech today? cant remember what they said we would recieve first....cpat stuff...or........med/phys
    Medical should come first.

Forum Member

My medical was last. the order for me went interview, cpat, psych, medical, all within the space of abut two months

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SleepyHollow View Post
    My medical was last. the order for me went interview, cpat, psych, medical, all within the space of abut two months
    do they all take place during the week? or are there any on saturdays?

Forum Member

Default further testing

so lets say i live a great distance from new york. How many times do ya'll recon i would have to fly to new york to complete these steps. And please lets avoid the answers like as many times as it takes if you want the job badly enough and other wise a-- answers from the peanut gallery. Moreover, i am assuming they dont do the interview over the phone and obviously cpat, medical, and pysch are all presence required kind of events. Any other items that cant be sort of taken care of over the phone?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckNorris View Post
    so lets say i live a great distance from new york. How many times do ya'll recon i would have to fly to new york to complete these steps. And please lets avoid the answers like as many times as it takes if you want the job badly enough and other wise a-- answers from the peanut gallery. Moreover, i am assuming they dont do the interview over the phone and obviously cpat, medical, and pysch are all presence required kind of events. Any other items that cant be sort of taken care of over the phone?
    Doubt anything can be done over the phone, but talk to your investigator. A buddy of mine had the same problem and his investigator helped him out in scheduling most of them on or around the same day/within a few days of each other.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckNorris View Post
    You have to report in person for every step of the processing. Processing isn't in any order. You will get 3 days for the CPAT. Those 3 date are in the span of about a week and a half. But if you pass the CPAT on the first try, you dont have to come back. Then you will have to come back at least 3 more times: 1-Your interview with your investigator,2-for the medical, and 3-for the psych. all that travel will be within a two month span.

Forum Member

Default Heart Rate on the stairs

Hey fellas,

just to confirm:

maxim heart rate on the stairs is 220 - (your age) x .9

Thread Information