Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 95 of 618 FirstFirst ... 458592939495969798105145195595 ... LastLast
Results 1,881 to 1,900 of 12347
Like Tree74Likes

Thread: Fdny List 6019

Forum Member

I just have a question for those of you who had the PRK eye surgery. How long did it take you to recover? If I were to get that over Lasik, would I be able to pass the vision test after 1-2 weeks of recovery? Any input would be greatly appreciated~!
    6019- was sitting at 13xx
    2000- now sitting at 18xx

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by My1Goal View Post
    I just have a question for those of you who had the PRK eye surgery. How long did it take you to recover? If I were to get that over Lasik, would I be able to pass the vision test after 1-2 weeks of recovery? Any input would be greatly appreciated~!
    I'm not sure about exact statistics, but I do know that PRK recovery does take longer than other types of surgery. I also know that if you had LASIK you would be able to pass the vision test after 10 hours of sleep and some eyedrops.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by rdayson View Post
    Can anyone recommend any exercise regimen for preparing for the actual academy? I'm at the gym 5 days a week, running, lifting, etc. I've also got a 75lb weight vest that I climb stairs with at least once a week. I'm in the 2200's so I've still got ways to go, but I definitely want to be sure I'm doing everything that I can possibly be doing to be ready when the time comes. So any details on a recommended routine would be awesome.
    I would keep doing what your doing. It's more then what many people have been doing. I wear my weighted vest around my neighborhood. People look at me sideways but it's what I have to do.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by johhnyboy View Post
    I'm not sure about exact statistics, but I do know that PRK recovery does take longer than other types of surgery. I also know that if you had LASIK you would be able to pass the vision test after 10 hours of sleep and some eyedrops.
    I had it and you can see OK to drive etc in 3-4 days (I was basically clear, except for the non-stop tearing, about 24hrs later), but for the next few weeks you may have bouts of blurriness. Nothing to drastic or too long, but it would suck to have it happen just as you're taking your test.
    Either way-if you don't pass the eye portion, let 'em know about the surgery, and you can come back and try again.

Forum Member

I'm number 20XX, just got my packet today. I only have 8 days to get all this stuff. I'm way too excited to care though.

Forum Member

I had PRK, and my vision went in and out for a while, longer than two weeks. But you may be able to pass it after a short period of time like that. You will be in pain and they simply may not let you take the med then. I would absolutely recommend PRK over lasik however. Having to worry about flap complications for the rest of my life didn't sound like a plus to me.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by maples View Post
    I'm number 20XX, just got my packet today. I only have 8 days to get all this stuff. I'm way too excited to care though.
    CONGRATS, now the fun begins. if you dont have everything, dont sweat it to hard, they will give you time to get what you need. Good Luck

Forum Member

I have my medical on 8/25 list # low 1200's. My question is how in depth they go regarding your medical history. Do they have you sign a medical release form so they could get records direct from your doctor? I have all my paperwork ready and my doctors has signed off on my previous surgeries. I just dont want my previous injuries to hold up anything, let me know thanks

Forum Member

Unhappy

Thanks Johnny and Irish for the quick replies. I'm going in for my pre-op check-up next Thursday (8/28) to see if I'm a candidate for customvue lasik; my medical is the very next day (8/29).

The surgery will probably be a week after that, so I figure I'll have approximately 2.5-3 weeks of recovery until the re-test on the vision portion (the department gives you 30days to get your eyes fixed, right?). I'm just hoping that 2.5-3 weeks is enough of a recovery time to pass the exam. If not, I'll have to get the customvue lasik assuming that I'm a candidate for it. Man, this vision portion is giving me a headache!

P.S. I'm also curious as to how in-depth they are regarding the check-list on the medical letter. This also worries me because I can't find any of my immunization record; I don't even know if my college still has it on record (been out since '04). I checked off "No" for all of them (except Sprain and Eyeglasses) because I honestly don't know if I have them or not. I'd go to the doctor and have my physical/medical but I have no insurance...
    Last edited by My1Goal; 08-19-2008 at 06:01 PM.

Forum Member

guys scores are in the chief today top 450 or so...plus the promotion to ff

I second what Irish said. If you can get PRK vs LASIK, do it. I had it 4 years ago and my vision is still 20/20 (vs 20/400 pre surgery) Be warned though, it hurts! I know for the first week, any type of light was bothersome, with discomfort lasting into week 2, so I'm not sure how up to doing the medical you'll be. It's well worth it though. Any questions you got on it, lemme know

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mike13310 View Post
    guys scores are in the chief today top 450 or so...plus the promotion to ff
    What scores?

Forum Member

I'm guessing it's the written scores.

Forum Member

Hey guys i got my packet in the mail and have begun getting my stuff together.....Interview at MetroTech next tuesday...List number 20xx.... 2 Questions....

I am trying like hell to get all the required pieces of info that they need, but some things that I can't find will need to be ordered and might not make it to my house by the time of the interview. An example of this is a Social Security Detailed Earnings Report....I couldn't find one so i had to order it online. Most likely won't get it by the time of the interview. 95% of the rest of the stuff I will have though...If I don't have all the stuff will they disqualify me on the spot? Or will they let me deliver the other stuff once i receive it??

My other question regards a previous incident. I have never been in trouble before but got a DWI 3 years ago. Legal limit is .08 and I blew a .09 on the breathalizer. Eventually the judge dropped the charge to a DWAI, which is not a misdemeanor. It only shows up at a Violation. I received all the required documents from the court last week to show the investigator. Will this one time incident really hurt my chances????

Sorry for the long post, but any help would go a long way. Thank You

Forum Member

I'm guessing it's the written scores.
    yea the written scores are all online.

Quote Originally Posted by BowHunter82 View Post
    Hey guys i got my packet in the mail and have begun getting my stuff together.....Interview at MetroTech next tuesday...List number 20xx.... 2 Questions....

I am trying like hell to get all the required pieces of info that they need, but some things that I can't find will need to be ordered and might not make it to my house by the time of the interview. An example of this is a Social Security Detailed Earnings Report....I couldn't find one so i had to order it online. Most likely won't get it by the time of the interview. 95% of the rest of the stuff I will have though...If I don't have all the stuff will they disqualify me on the spot? Or will they let me deliver the other stuff once i receive it??

My other question regards a previous incident. I have never been in trouble before but got a DWI 3 years ago. Legal limit is .08 and I blew a .09 on the breathalizer. Eventually the judge dropped the charge to a DWAI, which is not a misdemeanor. It only shows up at a Violation. I received all the required documents from the court last week to show the investigator. Will this one time incident really hurt my chances????

Sorry for the long post, but any help would go a long way. Thank You

Bowhunter,

I will try to answer your questions. Regarding the first one, if you already ordered it online, I guess this won't help much. For your information, next time you need a detailed earnings statement, you can go to any social security office and they'll print it out for a fee. They charge $25 (Money order) for a 5 year statement.

To answer your second question, it will definitely come up, because it is on your drivers abstract. I don't know how much it would affect you, so dont be alarmed. It is not my intent to scare you. In some cases, the department will hire people under a stipulation, which will only make your probation period 2 years instead of the usual 1 year.

Hopefully it was an isolated incident and is the only negative thing that comes up. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.
    FDNY 6019 #9XX

Post Fyi

218 Qualify: Firefighter Promotion List

The Department of Citywide Administrative Services has established a 218-name promotion roster for Firefighter, based on Exam 6506 in January 2007.

21,161 Eligibles: Firefighter Roster Issued

The Department of Citywide Administrative Services has established a 21,161- name list for Firefighter based on Exam 6019, which was held in January 2007. Some list numbers are missing because of late adjustments due to changes in status.

**I got this information from: http://www.thechiefleader.com/Current/Exam/

In order to read more, you have to subscribe to the chief. I am not currently a subscriber, so this is all the information I could get. I just thought to share this with you guys.
    FDNY 6019 #9XX

Forum Member

hey bowhunter,

i made the same mistake you did by ordering the "statement" online. you need to go to your local Social Security office and get a detailed earnings statement from 2003-2007. you CANNOT get this document online you must get it in person. my advice is to get there when the place opens because these places get crowded fast. they will give all the papers you need on the spot. regarding your other dilemma.... I know a firefighter working in lower Manhattan today who was hired with a DWAI on his record so it can't be an automatic DQ for you. just make sure you have the court disposition or whatever ready to give to the investigating officer.
    Last edited by johhnyboy; 08-20-2008 at 11:31 AM.

Default hmm

so far as residency goes - if you were in college or in a graduate school out of the area during the residency period, but your permanent address is still in the city, do you get the residency points?
    how would that work when you list previous addresses?

Forum Member

johnnyboy quick question. i want to have all my stuff together when my packet comes, iam list 26##. Should i go to ss office asap or is there like an experiation? also coincedently 2003-2007 was the exact years of my enlistment. Should i contact the VA hall of records instead?

Thread Information