Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Default Fire destroys The Brick in Duncan, BC

I was hearing updates on this fire all morning on the radio. At one point it sounded like the auto parts store was compromised. People driving by on the nearby highway could feel the heat in their cars.

Fire destroys Duncan store
    Brick furniture outlet was engulfed in flame when firefighters arrived
    Rob Shaw, Times Colonist
    Published: Tuesday, January 08, 2008

An intense fire, fueled by furniture, tore through a Brick store in Duncan this morning.

Firefighters arrived to the scene, on the Trans-Canada Highway, around 6:31 a.m. to find the roof of the building had already collapsed and flames were shooting into the sky, said Mike McKinlay, deputy chief of the Duncan Volunteer Fire Department.

About 26 Duncan firefighters battled the blaze, and called in 15 more from North Cowichan.

"It had taken control of the building," said McKinlay. The only strategy left for the firefighters was to use two aerial trucks to spray water onto the fire, he said.

The heat was particularly intense because it was fueled by the wooden furniture inside, said McKinlay. However, a fire wall in the building prevented the blaze from spreading to a nearby auto parts store that shares part of the same industrial complex.

The building is a complete write-off but there is no damage estimate yet, said McKinlay. The building's storage facility, located on the side of the Brick building, survived the fire but has water damage, he said.

Fire officials will not comment on whether the blaze was suspicious or what was the cause.

Fire investigators are on scene examining the burned out building.
    Flames fuelled by furniture inside the Brick store in Duncan destroy the building in early morning fire.
    Mike Szaszik
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

A furniture store fire. How nice.
    With the roof having collapsed before the first appliance arrived on scene, I suppose 'surround and drown' came into play?

Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Default Update

Fire destroys Duncan store
    The Brick furniture outlet was engulfed in flames when firefighters arrived
    Rob Shaw, Times Colonist

The only strategy left was for 26 Duncan firefighters, and 15 assisting from North Cowichan, to spray water onto the fire from two aerial trucks, he said.

McKinlay said he's not sure what caused the blaze, but that fire investigators have examined the scene. He was unable to say if the fire was suspicious.

The Brick store had been open since 2006. Previously, it was a United Furniture Warehouse. A fire wall prevented the flames from spreading to a nearby auto parts store in the industrial complex, and also saved The Brick's warehouse and appliance area, located at the rear of the building. The main show floor "has been reduced to ash," said Graham Higgins, The Brick's regional manager of operations for Vancouver Island.

He called the fire "quite a surprise," but remained optimistic insurance would cover the damage.

The store's seven staff have been transferred to Nanaimo and Victoria locations. The company said it will try to set up a temporary site in Duncan as soon as possible.

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

And if I open my eyes when reading, I might even see what's written!

"It had taken control of the building," said McKinlay. The only strategy left for the firefighters was to use two aerial trucks to spray water onto the fire, he said."

Sorry Rspct...

No apology necessary

Sheri
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Thread Information