Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Exclamation will i be respected

I'm a girl and i don't get a lot of respect already but do you think that people will treat me differently as a junoir and a girl? I have been thinking about this for awhile and i just want answers... All my firends are firefighters and are all boys! I just want to know if there is a difference with how people will treat me!?!
    - fg46

Just remember , respect is earned, not given. Give it your all when your drilling, study hard, etc.

In my dept no body gets respect at first. You have to earn it, women and men alike.. We have people that have been on for 10 years and dont get respect.
    Hello. Fire dept.. You light'em, We fight'em!

"hard working, gear jamming, nail driving, "jake". "

IACOJ
    4-16-2010 "On the approach"

Forum Member

Basic respect will be given to all. By basic respect, I mean you will get made fun of, and be the butt of many jokes. That's your place as the junior member. Just remember though, you aren't in trouble when people make fun of you, you are in trouble when they don't.

As far as fitting in, and becoming a member of the group, it's gonna take time, and for the more senior people to get to know you. Just show up, shut up, and learn. Ask pertinant questions. Take whatever courses you can. Be the first one washing, or cleaning, or helping with a truck checklist, and the last one to sit down. Working hard, will get you more respect than anything. If you do your job, and do it right, you'll be respected just fine.

Forum Member

ummm...yeah, what they said. Respect is earned and not given.

However, you state you don't get respect already. Why is that? Is this your perception and personal thoughts, or is there a reason for lack of respect?

As far as earning respect, it helps to also stand up for yourself. As stated it is when people don't pick on you that you have to worry, but if something is truly bothering you, you also need to say something. How else are people going to know if the jokes may be going to far? Be honest about it, but don't start a lecture, start crying, or start yelling, those attitudes don't go far.

It helps to have a sense of humor and to joke right back when jokes are made. Sometimes laughing things off that bother you will help you not to take it so personally.

I'm gonna have to agree with what everyone has said. Get used to doing all the work while everyone else is relaxing (sometimes an overstatement, but other times exactly what happens). Like was said before, respect is earned not given. Please do not feel that you are being picked on or forced to do harder work because you are a girl. At least around here, thats not what happens. We are a team and it doesnt matter if its a man/woman/monkey/white/black/green/native american geared up behind me, as long as I know that they can do their job, I am cool with it.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by fireygurl46 View Post
    I'm a girl and i don't get a lot of respect already but do you think that people will treat me differently as a junoir and a girl? I have been thinking about this for awhile and i just want answers... All my firends are firefighters and are all boys! I just want to know if there is a difference with how people will treat me!?!
    - fg46
    I dont think you will have any problems. As others have said, respect is something earned. You show up, give it your all at your drills,meetings whatever your posts allow you to do and Im sure you wont have any respect issues. However if you show up and are disrespectfull to the other members of your dept etc, Im sure you can figure out how it will turn out for you.
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

i am also a female jr volunteer firefighter and i have grown up around this dept. being that my dad has been the chief for 30 years or so. in my dept. we have jr officers. we recently elected new ones. and i an the new jr. chief.

they used to not respect me because they thought i was the chiefs brat. well they changed their mind when they realized how much i can do and how much effort i can give.

we do give everyone a hard time at first but you will star to find your place and fit in. if you want to talk. you can add me on myspace(www.myspace.com/amanda_jo669)

Thumbs up

I just started a couple months ago (I am a girl) and I have been respected very well so far and I enjoy it. You shouldn't have any problems...just remember listen and take notes and keep your mouth shut unless you have questions or comments.
    ~But with God all things are possible. Matthew 19:26~

~The very worst fire plan is no plan. The next worse is two plans. ~

~Stay Safe! Everyone Goes Home!~

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Eng18a View Post
    Just remember , respect is earned, not given. Give it your all when your drilling, study hard, etc.
    Couldnt agree any more.

Like other members said...respect is not earned. You wont be "respected" the first day on your job. Follow the rules, be nice, and ask questions, and also...have fun.

It takes time to build respect, but if you do everything to the best of your abilities...you will be respected in no time.

i have been with my department for over a year now and i have earned my respect and am part of my fire family.
    just remember as others have said work hard to prove that you have the skills to be a partner and be reliable in a fire scene. its a lot of studying and training but if you make all of that than it is completly worth it because you become more trusted like the others. and work hard in academy's too, i want to go into firefighter one but it got canceled for lack of students.
    key thing is to work your butt off.

Default Boyakasha

B.L.E.V.E. in yo face

MembersZone Subscriber

Hey kiddo-
    Anyone who says you will be treated the same is just being politically correct. Us females are under the microscope alllll the time. I started as a junior, worked my way up, and I'm now one of our lead FFs. Yes, respect is earned, and I'd be lying to you if I said it was easy. You have to prove to everyone (including yourself) that you are fully capable of doing the job, and prove that you are worthy of respect. THEN, and only then, will it be given. If you act like you know it all, you will be treated as such. If you act like you don't know anything, you won't get to do anything. You have to find the "happy medium" and go from there. There are those archaic dinosaurs who believe women don't belong in the fire service- you will run into them at some point if you choose to make this a career. That's part of this business. It sucks, but it's a great motivator. Use their negativity to fuel your drive. Will you be respected? Well, it depends on the membership of the department you join. You may earn the respect, but it may not be given. If it's earned, it's not your fault that you don't get it, so don't blame yourself.

I love what I do. I love my brothers (I'm the only female on our dept), and I know they love me, whether they admit it or not. Yes, you will get picked on...so make sure you have thick skin. Don't ever take anything negative to be personal. If you make a mistake, own it and learn from it. Humility is a firefighter's greatest trait (some FFs lack it).

If you have any questions about the fire service, feel free to shoot me a private message. I'll be more than happy to talk to you. I'm not trying to scare you, I'm just not sugar coating anything- I'd hate to see you get blind-sided. Just like everyone else on this board, I can only speak for myself and my experiences. Just don't ever give up!
    Last edited by NismoFire; 01-19-2008 at 09:56 PM. Reason: Grammar
    Put THAT in your pump and flow it.

Proud member IACOJ

Forum Member

When i got on our dept i knew alot of the other guys already, small town volunteer plus my dad had been on for about 5 years. I have noticed that alot of other members will treat the rookies like **** til they can prove themselves, weather it be on a fire ground or on a medical run. 40 member dept and we are a 100% male dept so i could only see how some of them would react if we got a female on the dept also.

I will repeat what others have said. respect is not given it is earned. but also, you need to give respect to get it in return. Just keep your head up. Don't be afriad to jump in and get down and dirty during drills and training. If you have a question about how something works, or how something should be done don't be afriad to ask, there is no such thing as a stupid question. Its better to ask and get the correct answer than to do what you think may be correct and have it be wrong. Alot of your guy friends might have that "ego" and be upset if you prove them wrong or show them up but don't let it bother you. That just shows how jealous they are.

You know other boys that are firefighters? I am guessing that they are Juniors or Explorers. That is not a Firefighter yet.

Anyways- As said, respect is earned, not given. Its also a two way street.

Please let me also drive something home to you- One of the biggest things overlooked in the fire service is education. You need to lay out a foundation and build on it. Be smart, not just someone who wants to ride a truck and squirt water.

As for drills and interacting with people, I suggest silence is golden. In other words, keep quiet until its time to speak. And when it is time to speak, thats where the education comes in. Say something smart.

Also, at drills, do a good job. Do a good job, shine and still shut up. Do the job, go home. People will respect you when they see you can perform.

And lastly- Being a girl amoung the boys- NO FLIRTING. Seriously, its business only time. Dating and romance is for off duty. Once you cross that bridge, you cant repair the damage.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by CALFFBOU View Post

And lastly- Being a girl among the boys- NO FLIRTING. Seriously, its business only time. Dating and romance is for off duty. Once you cross that bridge, you cant repair the damage.

Thanks, Bou....I left that part out. That's probably the most important thing. It's those types of females that make us look bad (the ones that join just for the "hot firemen").
    Put THAT in your pump and flow it.

Proud member IACOJ

I just want to know if there is a difference with how people will treat me!?!
    - fg46
    Yes, and anyone who tells you different is lying.
    Robert Kramer
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

Thumbs up Only FF's For Friends???

- fg46
    Congratulations on your decision to go into the Firefighting industry! I bet you will get much respect after you pass the physical part of thier testing. It's grueling and exceptionally challenging for the guys nevermind a gal. Thank goodness for that, because they do have to do some amazing "rescue" feats such as pulling people out of 2 story windows down a ladder to the ground safely. They come into some mind bending situations where they almost have to be a human "Superman". Our county has deep respect for our FF's and we always try to let them know by bringing them homemade meals and treats during holidays and just because. You have NO female friends and no friends that are in other professions? How did that happen, especially with 6+ Billion people living on the planet with us? You must live in an area with fire houses all over the place. In any event, friend, do your best because noone can do better than their "best". All the best to ya'.
    "There Is No Greater Love Than This:That A Man Would Lay Down His Life For A Friend"

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by CALFFBOU View Post
    You know other boys that are firefighters? I am guessing that they are Juniors or Explorers. That is not a Firefighter yet.

Anyways- As said, respect is earned, not given. Its also a two way street.

Please let me also drive something home to you- One of the biggest things overlooked in the fire service is education. You need to lay out a foundation and build on it. Be smart, not just someone who wants to ride a truck and squirt water.

As for drills and interacting with people, I suggest silence is golden. In other words, keep quiet until its time to speak. And when it is time to speak, thats where the education comes in. Say something smart.

Also, at drills, do a good job. Do a good job, shine and still shut up. Do the job, go home. People will respect you when they see you can perform.

And lastly- Being a girl amoung the boys- NO FLIRTING. Seriously, its business only time. Dating and romance is for off duty. Once you cross that bridge, you cant repair the damage.
    Well put Bou!
    My opinions are my own and do not, in any way, reflect those of any agency to which I am affiliated...

Thread Information