Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 Last
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Off-duty Engine Capt. Makes Grab

Anyone from the FDNY know if the Captain is of any relation to the Napolitano of Rescue 2?
    Story courtesy of FDNY

Off-duty Fire Captain Saves Man from Fire
    Photo courtesy of Todd Maisel, New York Daily News
    "Captain Ciro Napolitano was in the right place at the right time on January 9, when he was able to save the life of an elderly man from a Brooklyn fire while off-duty. The captain of Engine 323 was walking with his 9-year-old son, Ciro Jr., on 18th Avenue at around 4 p.m. when he smelled smoke. He said he saw many people pointing towards the fire but, "they didnít seem very excited, so I thought it was just a small car fire." When he saw the fire building at 1780 76th Street, he said he saw heavy smoke pushing out of the third floor windows. With no other emergency responders in sight, Captian Napolitano said he knew he had to help. Yet, he added, his main concern was his son. He told the boy to stand in the lobby of the four-story building and not to move while he climbed the stairs to search for victims. When he reached the third floor, he said thick black smoke was down to the floor. He noticed smoke coming from underneath the doors of two neighboring apartments.

After calling dispatchers to notify them of the fire, he crawled into one apartment that was filled with the thick smoke and saw a manís feet. The victim was an elderly man who looked dazed and did not want to leave the apartment. Captain Napolitano said although the man resisted, he was able to pull him down the stairs to safety. He then returned to the fire floor to search the other smoky apartment. He said the door of the apartment was partially open, and the smoke was so thick he had to enter on his stomach.
    "I couldnít even crawl," he said. After getting about 10 feet inside the apartment, he located the fire. He said the fire was starting to blow over his head, so "I had to back out or get burned."

Once he was able to leave the apartment and close the door, he said he heard firefighters entering the building. "I called out into the smoke to tell them where the fire was," said Captain Napolitano, giving them detailed directions to the fire. He then helped them straighten out the hoseline and get it into operation before he left the building with his son.The whole ordeal only took a few minutes, but Captain Napolitano said he was "happy to help."
    The all-hands fire was placed under control at 4:32 p.m."
    "If you put the fire out right in the first place, you won't have to jump out the window."
    Andy Fredericks,
    FDNY E.48, SQ.18
    Alexandria, VA F.D.

Rest in Peace

Forum Member

My God. Good thing the Capt doesnt post here, he may have been compelled to stay outside with the guys who advocate NEVER going inside without a hoseline, let alone gear.

Well Done Cap!
    Proud East Coast Traditionalist.

Forum Member

That's right...He should have stayed outside, put on a vest, and ASSume command.

Good grab, good job.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs up Absolutely............

Good Job, Cap.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

Nice grab.
    Hello. Fire dept.. You light'em, We fight'em!

"hard working, gear jamming, nail driving, "jake". "

IACOJ
    4-16-2010 "On the approach"

Forum Member

Excellent job Cap! Nice grab!
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    http://www.tfdfire.com/
    "Fir na tine"

MembersZone Subscriber

Great job!
    FTM-PTB-RFB
    IACOJ

Forum Member

Great Job Captain.
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Forum Member

great job cappy..even more impressive is he got his boy to stay put..mine would have been stuck on my hip

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    My God. Good thing the Capt doesnt post here, he may have been compelled to stay outside with the guys who advocate NEVER going inside without a hoseline, let alone gear.

Well Done Cap!

Yes, also being during the day, aren't you to assume that nobody would be home anyway?

Nice Grab Cap!

Forum Member

A tip of the leather to the Captain for a job well done, making the grab and causing the "safety sallies, susies and sharons" to keel over in horror!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

I wonder what the odds of this type of rescue occurring in some Louisiana Parrish are?

Unfortunately, I already know the answer!
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    "Fir na tine"

Permanently Removed

Good job!!!!

Forum Member

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by len1582
    That's right...He should have stayed outside, put on a vest, and ASSume command.
    Wow, if we'd instituted the drinking game I proposed for these sort of threads, we'd all be snookered already...

PS--I realize you guys are just joking... but the rules of the game don't make any distinction of intent--you just have to take the hit and "bottoms up" whenever someone mentions one of the game's topics.
    My opinions might coincide with someone of importance's POV... I wouldn't know, since I never bothered to ask. My policy is: "Don't ask, don't care."

IACOJ--West Coast PITA

MembersZone Subscriber

That's what it's all about and why we have the job we do. Always on duty no matter what. Good job Cap and great save!
    Greater love has no man than to lay his life down for a friend.

Forum Member

great job cappy..even more impressive is he got his boy to stay put..mine would have been stuck on my hip
    And if his young son had wandered after him, getting lost in a burning building? I'm all about doing something, but I would certainly think twice about leaving my son unattended. Of course, my son is only 2 1/2, not 9...but I have a zero tolerance when he's with me. He's my main priority, not someone else's emergency. I hope my son is able to follow directions and stay put when I tell him to when he reaches that age, but I also know how restless and impatient the average 9 year old can get, too.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ThNozzleman View Post
    And if his young son had wandered after him, getting lost in a burning building? I'm all about doing something, but I would certainly think twice about leaving my son unattended. Of course, my son is only 2 1/2, not 9...but I have a zero tolerance when he's with me. He's my main priority, not someone else's emergency. I hope my son is able to follow directions and stay put when I tell him to when he reaches that age, but I also know how restless and impatient the average 9 year old can get, too.
    I'm going to go on a limb here and say he knows his son and obviusly new he could trust him to follow orders. I wouldn't consider this for a second as an instance where he didn't put his son's safety first, and think it's wrong for anyone else to imply that (don't know if that's what your intention was, just generally speaking just the same). Again, great job Cap, and your son too!
    FTM-PTB-RFB
    IACOJ

Forum Member

I would like to think the vast najority of us would dothe same thing. Good job Captain.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Forum Member

He's a good guy, he covered in my house a few times. I didnt see this the good press never gets out as the NYPD controls the media, cant ever make them look like the inferior Dept!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ThNozzleman View Post

Most 9 year olds who live around 18th Ave are most likely more capable and mature than just about any 15 year old where you live. I've seen some incredibly young kids ride the bus and the trains without supervision. They are very aware of all of the dangers in the city (traffic..etc.) and 3 floors below the fire in the lobby isn't a problem.

I'm sure if he didn't trust his son or the neighbors who were around...he wouldn't have left him in the position he was in.

FTM-PTB

MembersZone Subscriber

I was just wondering to myself...

"Self"....what would some of these guys on here do undersimilar circumstances...or even if they were lets say on duty...driving a dept vehicle to lets say the shops to pick up an Engine that was just fixed.

No mask...no gear...just work duty uniform.

Would they have done what this man did...or would they "Establish command" or implement "command mode" or whatever BS term we've seen on here from the commmand a fire out crowd?

FTM-PTB

Forum Member

FFFRED...The right people always do the right thing. On duty and off. Everyone else....well, they are what they are.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FFFRED View Post
    I was just wondering to myself...

"Self"....what would some of these guys on here do undersimilar circumstances...or even if they were lets say on duty...driving a dept vehicle to lets say the shops to pick up an Engine that was just fixed.

No mask...no gear...just work duty uniform.

Would they have done what this man did...or would they "Establish command" or implement "command mode" or whatever BS term we've seen on here from the commmand a fire out crowd?

FTM-PTB
    The thing that both ****es me off and at the same time scares the hell out of me, is that there are those that wouldn't even attempt to make that grab in the first place, regardless of how much PPE, personnel or units they had on the scene.

I guess that's what separates the men from the cowards!
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    "Fir na tine"

Forum Member

I have seen some 7 year old kids try and pass me while trying to get into the fire apt, I thought it was Rescue!

Only in Washington Heights!
    Last edited by jonnyirons2; 01-11-2008 at 04:29 PM.

Forum Member

Thumbs up Good job, Cap!

C'mon, Jonny! Any unattended items become community property, before or after the fire is extinguished! Dennis Smith highlighted this in Rpt from E-82.

Fred- good point about the 9-year-old.

Good job, Cap. We'll likely see you on Medal Day.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Thread Information