Question Advice for St Johns County Fire Dept

Any St John's firefighters out there with insight on getting hired? I've just gotten out of active duty with the Navy, three tours of duty in Iraq, have a degree and was an officer (previous enlisted guy working up to commission so dont hold it against me ... I live in Julington Creek area. A little late getting into the game here (35)... but I want to continue serving as a firefighter, and I'm willing to make the sacrifices to get it done as an older recruit.

Questions:
    Does the department offer any paid training for going through the academy (like at FCTI)? Or do you pick up the tab and pay your way and hope to get hired?

I'm looking to go through the EMT/Firefighter trg at FCTI and would expect to be finished in the Fall of 2008 - is the county still hiring?

Any recommendations for a wannabe here to improve his chances with department (aside from outstanding performance at the school)?

Thanks for any insight... BC06 OUT!

Forum Member

Okay.

Question 1. No the Dept does not offer any money or compensation for FF/EMT training. However. If you are hired as an EMT the Dept offers a sponsored paramedic program that they will pay for, providing you agree to work for a varying amount of time. Usually 3yrs.

Question 2. Yes, it is in the counties revolving 5yr plan to continue hiring personell to staff apparatus and new stations. Answers 1 and 2 are both completely dependant on the Double Homestead Exemption passing, and the fiscal Impact it will have on staffing, new hires, station construction and future paramedic programs

Question 3. You can get out and visit the stations in the county, ask questions, make small talk. Some of the officers on the hiring commitee are regularly stationed working 24hr shifts. Doing well at FCTI may also help because there are eyes and ears at the school.

Good Luck!

*edit* just to let you know , i would say the mean age of the last 75 people hired in the county was around 35.
    Last edited by LeatherHed4Life; 01-15-2008 at 11:48 PM.

Default Thanks for the insight...

Leatherhed, appreciate the gouge... I'll drop into a firestation and see if I can make any contacts that way... will bearing gifts of food/drink help - ha - (I'm partial to blue moon)

Hear you about the homestead piece, a lot concern around it - for the reported 'savings' it has on us homeowners, not worth it in my book especially at the county level... services here have really helped make the county what it is today

Side - you can hire on directly as an EMT without firefighter quals at SJC?

Thx again Leathed

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bravocharlie06 View Post
    Side - you can hire on directly as an EMT without firefighter quals at SJC?

Thx again Leathed
    N/P

It is a requirement in all NE FL dept. to be a min. FF/EMT before you can begin employment. There are special circumstances where dept's will hire persons missing quals and put them through. Like 4 or 5 years ago gainesville would hire people with just EMT and put them through fire, or St. Johns actually hired medics and put them through fire school. These examples are few and far between though.

Forum Member

Default NAS Jax/ Mayport Fire

Hey BC06,

I came across your thread and wonder if you've ever considered federal firefighting at NAS Jax or Mayport. I did four years active on the JFK and coming up on 10 years as a reservist at HSL-60. I've taken FF I & II and EMT and I'm basically submitting apps. at every department that's accepting. I'm also trying to get a job up here at Mayport Fire and you don't need ANY kind of fire training to get hired. If you go to https://chart.donhr.navy.mil/ and create an online resume you can apply online for the firefighter position. And being a veteran FRESH off of active duty AND serving during wartime, you'll get head of the line privileges! You should be used to that being a khaki! HA! I'm a blue shirt E5 (the ones the do all the work)

But seriously, if you go to NAS and talk to Fire Chief Randy Hall (Chief Hall), he'd be able to explain the program they have that gives recent active duty guys a step up. IF you're truly interested, Headquarters is located on the corner of Yorktown Boulevard and Ranger Street. Just walk in and ask for Chief Hall. Maybe throw on a tie and bring a resume along...

Good luck!

Default good gouge

DaveO--- thx for the heads up on Mayport, etc. Interested to hear how things go for you out there. I'll give it a shot... regarding the blues vs khakis, I was an E-5 previously so I hear ya! Thanks again, take it easy.

BC06
    ps- I was with HCS-4 (now HSC84) in my last gig. Great group of dudes.

Quote Originally Posted by davesoutside View Post
    Hey BC06,

I came across your thread and wonder if you've ever considered federal firefighting at NAS Jax or Mayport. I did four years active on the JFK and coming up on 10 years as a reservist at HSL-60. I've taken FF I & II and EMT and I'm basically submitting apps. at every department that's accepting. I'm also trying to get a job up here at Mayport Fire and you don't need ANY kind of fire training to get hired. If you go to https://chart.donhr.navy.mil/ and create an online resume you can apply online for the firefighter position. And being a veteran FRESH off of active duty AND serving during wartime, you'll get head of the line privileges! You should be used to that being a khaki! HA! I'm a blue shirt E5 (the ones the do all the work)

But seriously, if you go to NAS and talk to Fire Chief Randy Hall (Chief Hall), he'd be able to explain the program they have that gives recent active duty guys a step up. IF you're truly interested, Headquarters is located on the corner of Yorktown Boulevard and Ranger Street. Just walk in and ask for Chief Hall. Maybe throw on a tie and bring a resume along...

Good luck!
    Hey DaveO - where did you for FFI/II and EMT?

Forum Member

Default Minimum Standards...

So you did alittle bit of that seaman to admiral business, huh? That's cool... I can respect that.

Well, I did minimum standards at FCCJ and my EMT at the Naval Hospital, believe it or not! I totally lucked out one drill weekend when I was at the clinic taking care of medical stuff and popped my head in the window of JUST the right person and asked if I could sit in on an EMT class and it just so happed that they gave a puddle pirate the boot JUST that morning because he lied about his EAOS to get in the class. It was three weeks long opposed to four months! I was all about it...

ANYWAY, I've been qualified officially for three months now and just dropping apps. everywhere I can AND waiting on work from Knoxville Fire Dept. to see if I can get an interview with them. Tennessee is my home state and if just TWO people fail a background check or medical exam (or **** test) I'll get a call because I'm #2 on the reserve list...

Getting a firefighting job is WAY harder than I thought going into this... You just gotta get your certs and give it some time, I guess.

Thread Information