Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Volunteer / paid on call

Just got out of the Marines and interested in joining the local fire department here. They advertise for volunteers although they do have paid on call. I have no experience. How would it usually go if I go up to the fire dept to talk with whoever it is I need to talk with? I am going up on Monday and would like to be prepared for questions. Will they pay me if I volunteer? Will they pay for my basic emt and fire fighting classes? Or do I need to volunteer for free and earn my way in? I am really looking forward for this opportunity.How long do they train you, is there usually opportunities for jobs for the new guy? Thanks for all of your help.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by snappy1 View Post
    Just got out of the Marines and interested in joining the local fire department here. They advertise for volunteers although they do have paid on call. I have no experience. How would it usually go if I go up to the fire dept to talk with whoever it is I need to talk with? I am going up on Monday and would like to be prepared for questions. Will they pay me if I volunteer? Will they pay for my basic emt and fire fighting classes? Or do I need to volunteer for free and earn my way in? I am really looking forward for this opportunity.How long do they train you, is there usually opportunities for jobs for the new guy? Thanks for all of your help.

It will depend on the department for most of your questions. The best bet is to go meet with the Chief or whomever he assigns to talk to new members. Answer the questions, they ask. It will most likely be like a job interview and paperwork will need to be filled out even if it is 100% volunteer. Get to know the people and how they operate. It may not be a good fit for you or them so don't get too worked up over it. There are other things you can do for your community if it does not work out.

It is a para-military type organization which is probably why you are interested in the first place.

Training will most likely be in-house until a regional class is scheduled and run. Again, depends on the department.

Ask questions, be professional, don't be a know it all (even if you do have experience in an area) and you will do fine.

Thread Information