Forum Member

Cool Starting Junior Firefighting, monday,

So. I Sent An Application to my Local Firehouse
    (White Deer Volunteer fire department)
    and I was accepted a month later
    I Still have to be voted in on monday then on tuesday ill receive my equipment, and my first training
    I Dont know exactly what this will consist of,

Anyone have any idea's on that?
    And, Any Tip's on Anything to do to prepare and sound more mature to them?
    my friend went in with me, but he doesnt seem as serious with it as i do..

The company already said i can assist on calls, ect.
    I Guess that depends if i get bumped or not
    thanks in advanced

Forum Member

I just started a month or so ago but all I can tell you as for what I have learned is to be the first to volunteer to help do the dirty work (chores, cleaning and so on....) earn respect and be respectful, listen and keep your mouth shut (unless you have a question, of course :-) Just show them that you are serious about being a junior firefighter and they will see that. Good luck :-)
    ~But with God all things are possible. Matthew 19:26~

~The very worst fire plan is no plan. The next worse is two plans. ~

~Stay Safe! Everyone Goes Home!~

Forum Member

Why would you want to appear more mature than you are?

That sends a flag up right there. I think you probably meant how can you appear more proffessional. You shouldn't have to fake being mature. If you aren't mature enough to be around, they'll know it.

Best Adivce is to show up, and shut up. Pertinant questions can be asked. Those are always welcome, and expected. Aside from that, just be the first one to jump into the work that needs done. There are dishes in the sink, wash them. Engineer is doing the truck check, help him. Do what you can, all while learning as much as you can about everything. During the truck check is probably the best time to ask a senior member about all the tools you have on the truck, and how the truck works, as that is exactly what he's checking.

Forum Member

Sound's Good To Me :P

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by WDVFDJnr View Post
    I Still have to be voted in on monday then on tuesday ill receive my equipment, and my first training

thanks in advanced
    First of all Congrats on joining. I can tell you that it won't be a choice you will regret. Your first night of training could consist of almost anything.

My only advice I can give is keep your eyes and ears open. Don't be afraid to ask questions if you do not understand something. As they say, the only stupid question is the one not asked. Do what is asked of you, and don't be scared to ask for help. As far as trying to sound more mature to them. Don't worry about that. Go in and be yourself.

Best of luck.
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Forum Member

An awesome opportunity and experience, and glad to hear you decided to sign up.

Let us know how your first night goes.

Forum Member

Default First night

First Night Was Great
    Got a Phone call around 6:15 telling me to be at the firehouse by 6:30, That I Was voted in, my friend was aswell.
    We Got there, They Let us in and we pretty much watched them do a fun type training,

One of the chief's would pick someone from each team and telll them to go upstairs and get something
    like. go get the axe or go get a Rubber hose nozzle
    Ect :P, if they brought down the right thing they get a point, if not, they lose a point. After that was all over they took us up to get our equipment, and gear, ect. Than Explained What Apparatus we can ride on, (everything that has a open seat.]. (Except EMS). Rescue 5-1, Engine 5-1, Engine 5-2, Tanker 5-1, Brush 5-1. Got my pager, that doesnt seem quite right. (Minitor III). Hopefully it works =P it hasnt made any noises since i turned it back on

Forum Member

Congratz! Time flies...

I remember when I first started Explorers 4 years ago, and being a Jr 2 years ago. Now I start FF1 on the 29th. It flew by. You'll learn a lot, and as long as you enjoy it, you'll have a great time!

Forum Member

you just made one of the best choices you can ever make. Your not expected to know to much in the begining but just pay attention and listen, you will learn alot. Ive been in explores for 2 years and now am entering ff1 february 7 and the department the 24th. Just stick with it and you wont regret anything

Cool

I been a Jr. for about goin on 5 months now, and I have to say being a Jr isn't the funnest thing in the world but you do get a taste of the fire service. But anyway your first training will be pretty basic like goin over the rigs or somthin around that area. Just remember to have fun dude, and don't let the firefighters get you down, or push you around the station. IF YOUR ON A CALL DO WHAT THEY SAY, IF YOU DON'T, THATS A GOOD WAY TO GET THEM ****ED!!

MembersZone Subscriber

congrats on becomming a jr. hopefully you will see your time as a great learning experience and help usher you into this wonderful brotherhood we call the fire service. just make sure you pay attention do what the fire fighters tell you to do and most of all have a bit of fun.
    Dino Brancato FF/EMT
    Sandy Hill Fire Rescue
    Pickering, Louisiana
    Home of the Fighting 7th

Forum Member

Congrats on the start of what may be some of the best and worst times of your life....your time as a member of the fire service. I can still remember my first explorers meeting when I was 16 somewhere around 13 years ago. I can even remember my first call as an explorer, an elderly lady with a cut toe. There are things that will be exciting and there are things that will bore you to death but, now is the critical time. It is the time to learn as much as you can about being a firefighter, about responsibility, about humility, about compassion and about teamwork. Keep your ears and your eyes open and don't be afraid to ask questions. Make sure you get your hands dirty by jumping in during training, not keeping them in your pockets and standing back. Talk and learn from the senior explorers, they should be willing to help.

Riding is a VERY important part of being and explorer. You will see that those who ride out often usually have the commitment and become firefighters. Ride as ofter as you can but make sure that you know the vehicles and equipment backwards and forwards first. The more you show up, the more you get to show the firefighters how much you know and the more they'll use you. One great thing about explorers is that you get a HUGE jump on everyone else when your ready to become a firefighter. Your with a vol company now which is great because you will be able to start right away when you turn 18. I was able to get in with a vol company when I turned 18 and stayed their for 5 years. By the time I got hired I already had lots of experience and continued volunteering until I decided to move closer to work and start a family. We have very few left here and getting hired is usually a 1 in 50 to 100 chance. In the last 8 years I've been on the job, the best new people we hired were explorers or vols. If you stay with it and pay attention you can go as far as you want.
    If your going to cry about doing the job you signed up for do us all a favor and quit, there are plenty of dedicated people standing in line for the best job in the world.

Firefighter/Paramedic

Thumbs up Hey

hi i've been a fire explorer for about 3 months now and you'll find that being your self is the best way to be exsepted into the fire family, hope you have fun at your post
    Best of Luck

Forum Member

Wink

I don't want to step on anyone's toes, but you're not going to get much more than anti explorer stuff on here... ask someone in your post if you got questions...

Just what I've seen.

Forum Member

Congratulations! This is a great decision that you won't regret, especially If you choose to go on and become a firefighter. And like many before me have said, the best thing you can do is speak when spoken to, and ask many questions at the appropriate times. Believe me, everything will pay off. once everyone sees you around the station all the time, and working hard, they'll trust you, and will be more willing to let you go farther in your duties. And again, like others have stated...always...Always volunteer to do the clean-ups/dirty work. If you show everyone you are ready and willing to be there, and have made the commitment, then you're well on your way.

Good Luck, Stay Safe.

Permanently Removed

Welcome to the next level in your fire service career. I can not say much else than whats been said. PLease do a good job, be EARLY and just be humble, NOT cocky.

I also share this alot in here. Its helpful and I am sure you'll get something out of it.

TORRANCE FIRE DEPARTMENT

RECRUIT (NEW) FIREFIGHTER GUILDLINES

The fire service is a para-military organization that requires teamwork, discipline, the ability to make decisions and work under pressure. If you do not like the idea of working under authority or have trouble with self discipline and living with rules and living with rules and regulations which restrict your personal freedom, for the sake of public safety, you are in the wrong place!

As a member of the Torrance Fire Department, you are expected to obey orders, exhibit exceptional personal hygiene, conform to department rules and regulations, respect the chain of command, work well with your peers, have integrity and perform repetitious mental tasks with excellence. At the same time, you should demonstrate the ability to think on your feet, use good independent judgment, be aggressive and display common sense concerning safety for yourself and others.

We will expect and settle for nothing less than 100% from you at all times…

GENERAL GUIDELINES

1. Be aggressive at all times, first to details, last to leave.
    2. If it is dirty, clean it. If it empty- fill it.
    3. If it rings, answer it before anyone else does.
    4. Do not be late to anything.
    5. T.V. will not be watched without permission of the Company Officer.
    6. Use initiative to address work that you see needs completion.
    7. Keep busy! Look for something to do. If you can not find a job, Study.
    8. When an alarm comes in, be the first one on the rig.
    9. Offer your help to anyone doing anything. One person works, we all work.
    10. Respect authority.
    11. Know your job and duties and know them well.
    12. Keep a low profile. Keep your opinions to yourself.
    13. Assist in and around the kitchen, even if you’re not assigned there.
    14. Remember…The reputation you establish now will follow you forever.

Forum Member

Default good luck

congratulations on getting in. i know upstate you have to take a 20 hours course 3 days a week for 5 weeks i don't know if its the same their or not

Forum Member

well beign in the jr. firefighter is great if they actually teach you things and not just expect you to clean and do their crap work. Ive been in the firedepartment im in for a year and a half and i still havent had one training. I dont understand because they want more jr. firefighters but they dont teach us anything. I guess thats just how the people in my firedepartment work.

Forum Member

Congratulations, you'll love what you do, and to add/edit a few pointers...

Quote Originally Posted by CALFFBOU View Post
    3. If it rings, answer it before anyone else does.
    Check to see if thats okay with your company first. ive been on two different companies, and the first one always wanted me to pick up the phone, when i swapped, thats what i was used to, and i got reamed out for picking up the phone since i wasnt an officer. i asked around, and it seems to be 50/50 around here for that, so check first.

Quote Originally Posted by CALFFBOU View Post
    8. When an alarm comes in, be the first one on the rig.
    Once again, if your a junior, and its a call where plenty of manpower shows up, always be ready to go, but also be ready to get the boot. yes it sucks, back in the day it happened to me quite a bit. what i did, was i would have the door open, and wait by the door. if we had enough to roll, and there wasnt anyone getting dressed, id jump in. if it was a night call, id probably just close the door for them, and thats about it. once again, this is only from personal experience, and it worked out for me great. try it out, see what happens. and remember, if you get booted, theres always second due

a few more to the list...

- if youve got money, try to buy some coffee or donuts for the guys. yeah its brown nosing, but then again, who hasnt done it?

- NEVER EVER be afraid to ask questions, thats how you learn.

- if theyre talking about firematic operations, be quiet and listen. youll learn plenty, including what not to do.

- Be ready to get f**ked with. it happens, and then eventually, you get to do it to other people.
    These opinions and views are my own and in no way connected to my department. Stay safe brothers.

Quote Originally Posted by WDVFDJnr View Post

thanks in advanced

first off congrats on getting on. i was firefighter I tested at the time and found out later that i had passed and am the only jr. member on the dept FFI certified so far. u will love it. u will always remember ur first call be careful and safe.

Thread Information