Question Looking for Used Turnout Gear

Hi, I have been and EMT-B and hanve riiden with my town's volunteer amblunace corps for nearly a decade. I plan on taking FF1 this summer. The course requires students to supply their own turnout gear, and the local departments require you to be certified before they loan you gear (catch 22). I know that I will only be using the gear for the month and a half of class. I was wondering if there is a cheap or even free way to obtain used turnout gear that will stand up to a mere 1.5 months of class.
    Alternatively, if anyone is willing to sell, give away, or even lend me an old set that would work too.
    I'd greatly appreciate any leads. Thank you.

MembersZone Subscriber

Old gear is generally not the best way to go. Bunker gear is so expensive that it is usually replaced for one of two reasons:

It is damaged to the point of no longer being safe to use.

It no longer meets the current minimum standards set forth by OSHA, NFPA or whatever other government agencies may monitor such things in your area.

When I went through the academy here in TX there was a deal where the state forrest service (I think) had a bunch of extra gear they were selling at "bargain" prices (about $800 for a full set minus gloves & hood). Good enough for 8 months of a fire academy. Most local FDs wont have any surplus gear, but since the bigger government agencies love to waste money and buy a ****load of extra stuff you might get lucky with them.

Forum Member

I would schedule a meeting with the one of the surrounding communties and tell them what your plan is. Ask them to borrow some gear for the academy. I know our dept. has old gear that sits in the basement that no one uses. If you go to a few different communities you greatly increase your chances. Also, ask the academy if they have any ideas. I would pretty much give up trying to get free gear on here. It has been tried many many times without any success. Good luck,my friend.

Forum Member

Maybe you can talk to your local fire dealer ? They might have a solution for you, and should be aware of any used gear that could be for sale.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DFW333 View Post
    Most local FDs wont have any surplus gear, but since the bigger government agencies love to waste money and buy a ****load of extra stuff you might get lucky with them.
    Ehh, not so true. At my old FD, there were more than a few extra sets of gear. Granted most may not be your size, but I'm sure you could find something close enough for the month and a half that you need it for. I agree with the poster two above me in that asking around is your best bet.

Forum Member

Bridge Canyon FD in Arizona should have a few extra sets.....

MembersZone Subscriber

They did not need turnouts at Bridge Canyon - they scared the fire out.....

Gosh knows that shemale scared me!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by standdown231 View Post
    Hi, I have been and EMT-B and hanve riiden with my town's volunteer amblunace corps for nearly a decade. I plan on taking FF1 this summer. The course requires students to supply their own turnout gear, and the local departments require you to be certified before they loan you gear (catch 22). I know that I will only be using the gear for the month and a half of class. I was wondering if there is a cheap or even free way to obtain used turnout gear that will stand up to a mere 1.5 months of class.
    Alternatively, if anyone is willing to sell, give away, or even lend me an old set that would work too.
    I'd greatly appreciate any leads. Thank you.
    Where are you located?

Forum Member

Default What Size?

I have a few unused sets of Securtex yellow Nomex gear, and some Advance Nomex/Kevlar... What size do you need?

Nomex Coat $360
    Nomex Pant $280

Advance Coat $445
    Advanced Pant $320

Forum Member

Try Ebay!

They usually have some stuff worth looking at.
    "You choose to go voluntarily into the fire. The blaze might well destroy you. But if you survive, every blow of the hammer will serve to shape your being. Every drop of water wrung from you will temper and strengthen your soul." Margaret Weis

Paul Richardson
    Firefighter/EMT-B
    OVFD unit# 343/SLVFD unit# 610

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Paul343 View Post
    Try Ebay!

They usually have some stuff worth looking at.
    Thats where donna clark got his/hers!
    Hello. Fire dept.. You light'em, We fight'em!

"hard working, gear jamming, nail driving, "jake". "

IACOJ
    4-16-2010 "On the approach"

Thread Information