MembersZone Subscriber

Default What are the best hooks to use for different jobs?

I'm curious, I have only used pike poles and a trash hook. I know there are a ton of different kinds of hooks out there, and I was wondering which hooks work best with different types of materials like plaster and lath, and drywall. Also does anyone use the Griff hook, do you like it?

WFDFire2156
    Firehouse.com Guest

the new york roof hook is the best and most veristale hook. It works great becuase u can marry it with a halligan. The roof hook works great for roofs becuase of its curved design FYI rook hook lol I personally find the best way for roof ventalation in T.N.T but thats a whole other form

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Golzy12 View Post
    I'm curious, I have only used pike poles and a trash hook. I know there are a ton of different kinds of hooks out there, and I was wondering which hooks work best with different types of materials like plaster and lath, and drywall. Also does anyone use the Griff hook, do you like it?
    The Griff hook is a great tool. We have the 36" model. If you haven't already , go to www.firehooksunlimited.net. They have a huge selection of hooks.

It looks hot in there

New York hook, and trash hook will pretty much accomplish everything you need on the fireground, hook wise.
    'Adversus incendia excubias nocturnas vigilesque commentus est"

www.vententersearch.com

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Golzy12 View Post
    My favorites are trash hooks with D handles to the roof and dry wall hooks with D handles for overhaul.

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm partial to the Boston Rake for lathe and plaster, the NY roof hook works nearly as well and in all in much more versatile. We carry a bunch of each on our Tower and a combo of 2 or 3 on each engine.

I really don't like the Griff hook due to its length. To me a hook ought to be 6 ft. or longer if needed. But for versatility the short hooks lack leverage and reach, in which case it's the Pro-bar or no bar. I would like to see Firehooks make the Farr hook in a 48 or 54" lenght (fork on one end, NY hook on the other).

MembersZone Subscriber

A wise old truckie once told me the best hook for the job is the one in your hand. Now with that in mind it depends on your run area. You can tear down just about any newly built SFRS with most any hook on the market. I personally carry a griff hook and love it, but Im 6'5" so reach isn't usually a big deal for me. With that said my department still uses the old pike poles, and they work great. I do like the Z hooks (NY roof hook) though, especially is a more heavily built comercial structure. Just stay away from the multi/removable head hooks, they may sound like a great economical way to give you more tool choices but they break...easily.
    I live to train so you can train to live.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by WFDFire2156 View Post
    the new york roof hook is the best and most veristale hook. It works great becuase u can marry it with a halligan.
    But only in Virginia, California and Hawaii.

makes good girls go bad

Griff hook is a personal tool. I carried it as a back up. Until some Mutt stole it.
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

Forum Member

My personal favorite is the "drywall" hook. That claw and shark fin design has worked great on everything I've used it on.

Forum Member

Combination roof hook from allhandsfire.com, ours is a 6' hook with the New York hook on one side, and the Boston rake on the other, seems like a winning combo to me.

Thread Information