1. #26
    Forum Member
    nmfire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Maryland (DC Suburb)
    Posts
    5,738

    Default

    And perhaps Capt Bob will eventually get sued for fraud just like Miss Cleo did!

    Honesty and not being a criminal will get you the job. Not learning how to cheat the system.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

  2. #27
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Flanders, NJ
    Posts
    13,537

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nmfire View Post
    And perhaps Capt Bob will eventually get sued for fraud just like Miss Cleo did!

    Honesty and not being a criminal will get you the job. Not learning how to cheat the system.
    Exactly....
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

  3. #28
    Forum Member
    scfire86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    HB
    Posts
    10,242

    Default

    While our department reserves the right to require a polygraph they rarely give one.

    I was never afraid of taking one despite a rambunctious youth during the 70's.

    Just like I was never afraid of taking a drug test either.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

  4. #29
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    north of San Francisco
    Posts
    296

    Default

    In the last year I have talked to a few hundred people who were recently hired, or hired shortly afterward. They all seemed to have the same thing in common, intelligence. I not necessarily talking about rocket scientist intelligence, but that kind of common scene that we all but require in firefighters. As such they all seemed to have gone about getting their job in a similar manner, they prepared in every way they could.

    When we respond to a fire we try and prepare in every way before we enter. We look at the type of construction, occupancy, look for hazards, consider the time of day as well as weather conditions. Most people who get hired similarly prepare. They start by finding out how to properly fill out an application, decide if it should it be typed or handwritten, done on the computer or typewriter. Then they research they written test, there are many books on the subject because all but a select few need to find out whatís on the test and prepare. Then they find out what will be involved in the physical agility testing, and make sure they can pass by finding out about each event and what techniques work best so there are no surprises. Then they research the oral interview, ask those who took it last what kind of questions they can expect and then prepare for them. This is standard practice and is not considered cheating or being dishonest, it is the mark of an intelligent person doing all they can to get a job. Then they prepare for a chiefís interview. In filling out a background packet much thought and research is done, not many of us recall every job and address along with the dates, as well as figuring out whom to use as references. People will also put time and thought into the medical physical, I get a lot of calls from people trying to find out what eye sight requirements there are, can it be correctable, can you be slightly color blind, Etc. It is a very long and stressful process.

    To expect an intelligent person to research every part of the hiring process and not do research on the polygraph, the section that eliminates the most people, is asinine. It seems ridicules that anyone would encourage a person to go into possibly the most foreign, stressful part of the process and learn nothing about it before hand. I would love to hear the benefit of not preparing.

    I have seen George accuse Capt Bob of telling people to lie over and over. But he never seems to be able to show where this happened. There is a good reason, he never has. In fact anyone who has read Capt Bobís book, or gone through his DVD or CDís can tell you he spends a good portion of them telling people to be honest and include everything in their past, he even gives an example of how he did the same thing when he was hired.

    I also think itís funny that people that apparently donít care for his postings seem to be the ones who read and reply to them the most. Not that Iím complaining, it just allows more people to read his postings. Iím sure that those people that are going to be hired some day, meaning the intelligent ones, will see that his advice is based in fact and is proven. I donít know about the track record of the others who post here, but I know Capt Bob has helped more people get hired as firefighters than are employed in the state of Hawaii.

    I don't care who you are, the firefighters head on Miss Cleo is damn funny.

    Good Luck, Capt Rob
    www.myfireinterview.com
    (707)869-1330
    nrtc@sonic.net

  5. #30
    Forum Member
    Firegod343's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    The other Washington
    Posts
    255

    Default

    While I hate to be a fence rider....I think that both George and Capt. Bob have some good points.

    I had to take a polygraph for a part-time job at our Fire Academy (it's operated by the State Patrol). Even though I have a spotless background and would never think of lying I was nervous as hell. The detective administrating the test was a really nice guy, and explained that my nervousness was brought on by the common misbelief that with the polygraph he could actually "read my mind."

    I actually "failed" the first two attempts. The first time, the detective left the room and returned to say "we are going to do this again." The second time he left the room and came back in he stated that I was "moving my head when I answered." Finally, I passed on the third attempt.

    I would never advocate lying, or cheating, or attempting to fool the evaluator. I would also not advocate walking into a polygraph cold either.

    One quick addendum. 5 years ago the State Patrol did away with the polygraph for academy workers. (We're now private contractors). Why?.....because there was an 82% failure rate. Keep in mind that those taking the test were all career firefighters already.


    Quote Originally Posted by FFighterRob View Post
    ....but I know Capt Bob has helped more people get hired as firefighters than are employed in the state of Hawaii.
    Something about this statement made me crack up. I know that I've helped a lot people get into a State of Confusion.



    FG
    Last edited by Firegod343; 01-21-2008 at 03:27 PM.
    IACOJ.... "Carpe Elkhartem"
    (Seize the Nozzle)


    "Victorious warriors win first,
    and then go to war,
    while defeated warriors go to war first,
    and then seek to win."

    SUN TZU

  6. #31
    Forum Member
    nmfire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Maryland (DC Suburb)
    Posts
    5,738

    Default

    The fact that Captain Cleo is directing people to sites specifically designed to teach you how to DEFRAUD the polygraph test, I would consider that the equivalent to telling them to be dishonest.

    There is nothing wrong with researching what the polygraph is and how it works. But to suggest people learn how to lie and cheat through it is wrong. And as it has been pointed out many times already, he never once tells these kids to be honest in the polygraph. He just links a bunch of sites so they can learn how to NOT be honest.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

  7. #32
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Flanders, NJ
    Posts
    13,537

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FFighterRob View Post
    In the last year I have talked to a few hundred people who were recently hired, or hired shortly afterward. They all seemed to have the same thing in common, intelligence. I not necessarily talking about rocket scientist intelligence, but that kind of common scene that we all but require in firefighters. As such they all seemed to have gone about getting their job in a similar manner, they prepared in every way they could.

    When we respond to a fire we try and prepare in every way before we enter. We look at the type of construction, occupancy, look for hazards, consider the time of day as well as weather conditions. Most people who get hired similarly prepare. They start by finding out how to properly fill out an application, decide if it should it be typed or handwritten, done on the computer or typewriter. Then they research they written test, there are many books on the subject because all but a select few need to find out whatís on the test and prepare. Then they find out what will be involved in the physical agility testing, and make sure they can pass by finding out about each event and what techniques work best so there are no surprises. Then they research the oral interview, ask those who took it last what kind of questions they can expect and then prepare for them. This is standard practice and is not considered cheating or being dishonest, it is the mark of an intelligent person doing all they can to get a job. Then they prepare for a chiefís interview. In filling out a background packet much thought and research is done, not many of us recall every job and address along with the dates, as well as figuring out whom to use as references. People will also put time and thought into the medical physical, I get a lot of calls from people trying to find out what eye sight requirements there are, can it be correctable, can you be slightly color blind, Etc. It is a very long and stressful process.

    To expect an intelligent person to research every part of the hiring process and not do research on the polygraph, the section that eliminates the most people, is asinine. It seems ridicules that anyone would encourage a person to go into possibly the most foreign, stressful part of the process and learn nothing about it before hand. I would love to hear the benefit of not preparing.

    I have seen George accuse Capt Bob of telling people to lie over and over. But he never seems to be able to show where this happened. There is a good reason, he never has. In fact anyone who has read Capt Bobís book, or gone through his DVD or CDís can tell you he spends a good portion of them telling people to be honest and include everything in their past, he even gives an example of how he did the same thing when he was hired.

    I also think itís funny that people that apparently donít care for his postings seem to be the ones who read and reply to them the most. Not that Iím complaining, it just allows more people to read his postings. Iím sure that those people that are going to be hired some day, meaning the intelligent ones, will see that his advice is based in fact and is proven. I donít know about the track record of the others who post here, but I know Capt Bob has helped more people get hired as firefighters than are employed in the state of Hawaii.

    I don't care who you are, the firefighters head on Miss Cleo is damn funny.

    Good Luck, Capt Rob
    www.myfireinterview.com
    (707)869-1330
    nrtc@sonic.net
    Junior, nobody EVER stated not to research and prepare for the polygraph-especially me. In fact, if you bothered to read, I posted a rather legthy and technical description of exactly what the polygraph is and what it does. I also posted exactly what it does not do. My info is solid, not because I read it in a book, but because over the course of about 20 years, i have used the polygrpah in my investigations hundreds of times. I have observed dozens of polygraph exams. I have seen them work. Sometimes they influenced a person to confess, sometimes they cleared an innocent party and sometimes the results of the exam were inconclusive. But the polygraph worked every time. It is a tool.

    Your daddy also has absolutely encouraged people to lie in their polygrpah. I am not going to go back and research it but it was the very first time I went to battle with him. Since that time, he will not come out and admit it. Now, he encourages people to only disclose the information that someone is likely to find out. He encourages people to "research" the polygraph at websites whose sole purpose is to teach people techniques that allegedly "beats" the polygraph. It is a blatanlty unethical approach to advise kids who are following their dream to become a fire fighter to learn deception techniques that will immediately if not sooner get them disqualified from the process when the operator detects they are using it.

    But you are going to attack me? Attack away Junior. There are hundreds of thousands of fire fighters who managed to get hired without your daddy's help. Or yours for that matter. Making money on the backs of kids with a dream is disgusting.

    I will continue to help these kids for free. I have helped a number of them, too. But I do it without coming on here selling snake oil and patting myself on the back.
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

  8. #33
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Cupcake NY
    Posts
    1,327

    Default

    Ive got my eye on you Focker!

  9. #34
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Flanders, NJ
    Posts
    13,537

    Default

    BTW Junior, you would have also seen that I am dead set against pre-employment polygraphs.
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

  10. #35
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Posts
    2,470

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nmfire View Post
    The fact that Captain Cleo is directing people to sites specifically designed to teach you how to DEFRAUD the polygraph test, I would consider that the equivalent to telling them to be dishonest.

    There is nothing wrong with researching what the polygraph is and how it works. But to suggest people learn how to lie and cheat through it is wrong. And as it has been pointed out many times already, he never once tells these kids to be honest in the polygraph. He just links a bunch of sites so they can learn how to NOT be honest.
    nmfire All the way through my postings I've encouraged candidates to be prepared before they show for every step of the hiring process including the poly while maintaining their honesty. Not to cheat, try to beat the system or defraud. Just being prepared to know what to expect.

    As posted by firegod343 above:

    One quick addendum. 5 years ago the State Patrol did away with the polygraph for academy workers. (We're now private contractors). Why?.....because there was an 82% failure rate. Keep in mind that those taking the test were all career firefighters already.

    Where did you come up with that I'm directing and suggesting people to lie and not be honest? Have you actually seen these programs, not just the web sites hype? Do you think a candidate who wants to maintain their honesty can use what they want from a program to be prepared, know what to expect and still be honest? Show me where you found it.

    BTWnmfire: You're a full time online firefighter, right? Years in service, right? Got 3,700 postings on firehouse, right. Maybe then you can direct us to those postings you've made with information to assist candidates in their pursuit to get hired and the testimonies from those you've helped?

    "Captain Bob"
    Last edited by CaptBob; 01-21-2008 at 03:52 PM.

  11. #36
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Flanders, NJ
    Posts
    13,537

    Default

    Hey Junior. Can you prove this claim?

    Hands down, we help more firefighters get hired in the US of A and Canada than anyone else!

    That was copied from your website. If you can't prove it, it is a lie.
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

  12. #37
    Forum Member
    nmfire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Maryland (DC Suburb)
    Posts
    5,738

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptBob View Post
    BTW nmfire: You're a full time online firefighter, right? Years in service, right? Got 3,700 postings on firehouse, right. Maybe then you can direct us to those postings you've made with information to assist candidates in their pursuit to get hired and the testimonies from those you've helped?
    Oooooh. Great defense. Resort to post counts!. See, here is the difference between you and me. I don't claim to be someone I'm not. I don't give people moronic advice. And I don't use this forum to advertise my personal business for free rather than paying for ad-space. I generally stick to the subject matter I am good at or have some useful experience in. And when I don't know, I usually keep my mouth shut and let someone else dive in.

    In this case, I know your giving out crappy advice about the polygraph so I'm speaking up. I know this because I did manage to pass it and I did so without you or any crap website's help.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

  13. #38
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Flanders, NJ
    Posts
    13,537

    Default

    See, here is the difference between you and me.
    Come on now, there's alot of differnece between you and him.
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

  14. #39
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    north of San Francisco
    Posts
    296

    Default

    George, It is interesting that when I ask you to back up your claim that people are being told to lie, you say you donít have the time. Every time you have brought it up over the years I have asked you where it was posted and you never have said where you get it from. When a person makes an allegation and canít back it up they loose credibility. But your response is to ask me to back up a claim on my sight.

    I have the names, phone numbers, and emails of over four hundred people I have helped get hired in the last five years, but I donít need to post them here, it would be silly and I donít give out other peoples information without asking. But you will see the testimonials from a lot of them on my sight.

    I have found that people that want to discuss facts use facts, people that donít have a good argument switch to name calling and insults. I have not said anything bad about you at all, I asked a question. If you want to call me junior thatís fine, as a matter of fact I am a JR. If you want to call Capt Bob, Bobbie thatís fine, it is kind of funny because the only other person that ever calls him that is my Mom when she is feeling amorous. You also referred to snake oil salesmen. Well, seeing as that all of the products and services offered by Capt Bob and myself are 100% money back, no questions asked, I would like to know who is getting ripped off.

    Good Luck, Capt Rob
    www.myfireinterview.com
    (707)869-1330
    nrtc@sonic.net

  15. #40
    Forum Member
    BKDRAFT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Bay Area, California
    Posts
    1,146

    Thumbs up

    I have personally met Captain Bob and Captain Rob where they helped me obtain my career in the fire service. They are stand up straight forward individuals who are truly trying there very best to get candidates hired. Yes they are getting paid but why shouldn't they? When they spend time to do seminars at colleges and set aside time to meet with you one on one I have no problem paying them. They are providing a service just like any other business. At no time have I ever been told, hinted, or heard anyone else mention to be anything else than truthful.

    I recommend and continue to send aspiring candidates there way.

    Keep up the good work guys!

  16. #41
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Flanders, NJ
    Posts
    13,537

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FFighterRob View Post
    George, It is interesting that when I ask you to back up your claim that people are being told to lie, you say you donít have the time. Every time you have brought it up over the years I have asked you where it was posted and you never have said where you get it from. When a person makes an allegation and canít back it up they loose credibility. But your response is to ask me to back up a claim on my sight.

    I have the names, phone numbers, and emails of over four hundred people I have helped get hired in the last five years, but I donít need to post them here, it would be silly and I donít give out other peoples information without asking. But you will see the testimonials from a lot of them on my sight.

    I have found that people that want to discuss facts use facts, people that donít have a good argument switch to name calling and insults. I have not said anything bad about you at all, I asked a question. If you want to call me junior thatís fine, as a matter of fact I am a JR. If you want to call Capt Bob, Bobbie thatís fine, it is kind of funny because the only other person that ever calls him that is my Mom when she is feeling amorous. You also referred to snake oil salesmen. Well, seeing as that all of the products and services offered by Capt Bob and myself are 100% money back, no questions asked, I would like to know who is getting ripped off.

    Good Luck, Capt Rob
    www.myfireinterview.com
    (707)869-1330
    nrtc@sonic.net
    First of all, we don't really have to get too far into this.

    Your mom is feeling amorous towards you? From dictionary.com

    am∑o∑rous /ˈśmərəs/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[am-er-uhs] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
    Ėadjective 1. inclined or disposed to love, esp. sexual love: an amorous disposition.
    2. showing or expressing love: an amorous letter.
    3. of or pertaining to love: amorous poetry.
    4. being in love; enamored: She smiled and at once he became amorous of her.

    That's just plain sick. Explains alot, but its just plain sick.

    Seondly, I told you exactly where to find where he was encouraging these kids to lie. I'm not going back to find it. You want to find it, have at it. Even if you don't want to, encouraging kids to "learn" about the polygraph at websites whose sole purpose is to teach people techniques on how to beat the polygraph is exactly the same thing.

    Thirdly, FOUR HUNDRED PEOPLE! Oh my God! You didn't tell me that you've helped 400 people! Why, that's about 3% of the FDNY. Can you explain to us how you arrived at the conclusion that with 400 people you've helped more candidates than anyone in the US and Canada to get jobs? HINT: You can't, it's a lie.

    I am using plenty of facts, there junior. I just throw the insults in to spice it up a little.

    Tell daddy we all said hi. Too bad he can't fight his own battles.
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

  17. #42
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    north of San Francisco
    Posts
    296

    Default

    If you read what I posted I said that is what my mom calls my dad when she want him, not me.

    Those four hundred people are just the ones that I have coached in person, not the ones who claim to have been helped using the products that we sell.

    I am sure that my father can fight his own battles, I just felt like putting in my own opinion. The beauty of you and your posts is that nothing drives more people to our web sites than when you post things like this. It goes up ten fold, the people stay longer, view more pages and are more likely to buy products and services. So in you quest to ďprotectĒ people from the snake oil salesman you have actually done us a great service.

    Good Luck, Capt Rob
    www.myfireinterview.com
    nrtc@sonic.net
    (707)869-1330

  18. #43
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Flanders, NJ
    Posts
    13,537

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FFighterRob View Post
    If you read what I posted I said that is what my mom calls my dad when she want him, not me.

    Those four hundred people are just the ones that I have coached in person, not the ones who claim to have been helped using the products that we sell.

    I am sure that my father can fight his own battles, I just felt like putting in my own opinion. The beauty of you and your posts is that nothing drives more people to our web sites than when you post things like this. It goes up ten fold, the people stay longer, view more pages and are more likely to buy products and services. So in you quest to ďprotectĒ people from the snake oil salesman you have actually done us a great service.

    Good Luck, Capt Rob
    www.myfireinterview.com
    nrtc@sonic.net
    (707)869-1330

    Nice try. I'm not going to stop. I do not know how you sleep at night.
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

  19. #44
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Posts
    2,470

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI View Post
    Tell daddy we all said hi. Too bad he can't fight his own battles.
    And another:

    http://forums.firehouse.com/showthread.php?t=97219

    Your acts gettin' old here, bobby.

    So when you get bored you try to find some way take away the boredom and the nagging fellings inside you.

    What would you like me to do George, come out and play? For years youíve been following me around like a puppy dog with your nose up my butt challenging our material, posting insulting comments and wanting to debate, like itís some kind of sport.

    So, every time we ask you to back up your claims, you spin the truth you say youíre trying to provide, attack us and those who defend us, rummage through our web site trying to find something to discredit us. You would make a great politician.

    I would prefer to just help those interested candidates gain the needed skills to get hired.

    You say you have helped others get hired in your own way. Thatís great. Now why donít you let us help candidates get hired in our own proven way? So you post your comments and we will post ours. Deal?

    "Captain Bob"

    www.eatstress.com

  20. #45
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Flanders, NJ
    Posts
    13,537

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptBob View Post
    And another:

    http://forums.firehouse.com/showthread.php?t=97219

    Your acts gettin' old here, bobby.

    So when you get bored you try to find some way take away the boredom and the nagging fellings inside you.

    What would you like me to do George, come out and play? For years youíve been following me around like a puppy dog with your nose up my butt challenging our material, posting insulting comments and wanting to debate, like itís some kind of sport.

    So, every time we ask you to back up your claims, you spin the truth you say youíre trying to provide, attack us and those who defend us, rummage through our web site trying to find something to discredit us. You would make a great politician.

    I would prefer to just help those interested candidates gain the needed skills to get hired.

    You say you have helped others get hired in your own way. Thatís great. Now why donít you let us help candidates get hired in our own proven way? So you post your comments and we will post ours. Deal?

    "Captain Bob"

    www.eatstress.com
    I always back my claims up with facts old timer. That's why you rarely have the guts to address me directly.

    I will not stop because I know how bad most of these kids want a job. And paying for advice that they can get for free. Advice that is often times better, is just plain wrong. These kids are vulnerable and you take advantage of them. Just like the claim on juniors website about how you two have helped more candidates get jobs than anyone else. That is a lie that you cannot back up. It is impossible.

    I'm not going to stop. So better strap yourself in.
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

  21. #46
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Posts
    2,470

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptBob View Post
    nmfire All the way through my postings I've encouraged candidates to be prepared before they show for every step of the hiring process including the poly while maintaining their honesty. Not to cheat, try to beat the system or defraud. Just being prepared to know what to expect.

    Where did you come up with that I'm directing and suggesting people to lie and not be honest? Have you actually seen these programs, not just the web sites hype? Do you think a candidate who wants to maintain their honesty can use what they want from a program to be prepared, know what to expect and still be honest? Show me where you found it.

    "Captain Bob"
    You replied with

    Oooooh. Great defense. Resort to post counts!. See, here is the difference between you and me. I don't claim to be someone I'm not.

    Me either.

    I don't give people moronic advice.

    Me either. Although you're starting to sound like it.

    I generally stick to the subject matter I am good at or have some useful experience in. And when I don't know, I usually keep my mouth shut and let someone else dive in.

    You should have. Why don't you play in your own sand box next time instead of posting crap from your dispatchers chair on duty.

    In this case, I know your giving out crappy advice about the polygraph so I'm speaking up. I know this because I did manage to pass it and I did so without you or any crap website's help.

    Nice spin. I'm still waiting for your reply where I've encouaged candidates to lie and cheat?

    "Captain Bob"

    www.eatstress.com
    Last edited by CaptBob; 01-21-2008 at 09:02 PM.

  22. #47
    makes good girls go bad
    BLSboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    On the beach, Fla/OCNJ
    Posts
    2,859

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptBob View Post
    Nice spin. I'm still waiting for your reply where I've encouaged candidates to lie and cheat?

    "Captain Bob"
    Capt, I previously had looked over your website on a regular basis, and looked at your materials. I now say I am done. I would prefer to get free advise from cantankerous, cranky, senile George then you. With this post, you destroyed all credibility you had with me by encouraging canidates to peruse a website that encourages canidates to basically lie (read between the lines), it is gone, and probably it ain't coming back.

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptBob View Post
    How did you prepare for the poly before you showed up?

    Often candidates are eliminated through the poly with inconclusive results. Not that you failed, but itís the same as you did. Why is that? You didnít fail and you didnít pass? Your results were inconclusive. You still donít go forward in the hiring process. I think the problem again is candidates need to prepare for the poly the same as with any segment of the hiring process.

    Randy had the same problem. He took the poly and the evaluator eliminated him with inconclusive results based on his use of pot within the last five years. He swore he had not. Yea, right you say, but thatís his story.

    So, Randy jumps on the Internet and found www.polygraph.com and www.passapolygraph.com He educated himself on what to expect. He took a poly for another agency and passes with flying colors even that inconclusive area about pot and was hired.
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

  23. #48
    Forum Member
    Firegod343's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    The other Washington
    Posts
    255

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BLSboy View Post
    from cantankerous, cranky, senile George
    Cantankerous yes, senile maybe, but cranky???? I think George is just misunderstood

    Now go back to your Paramedic studies!

    FG
    IACOJ.... "Carpe Elkhartem"
    (Seize the Nozzle)


    "Victorious warriors win first,
    and then go to war,
    while defeated warriors go to war first,
    and then seek to win."

    SUN TZU

  24. #49
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Posts
    2,470

    Default

    blsboy:

    You can read into it anything you want. Have you seen the products on those sites? How can you pass judgement until you have? Do you think a candidate who wants to maintain their honesty can use what they want from a program to be prepared, know what to expect and still be honest, not try to beat the system and not cheat? Here's one of many that did just that:

    FF/PM1 Wrote in this previous posting:

    Yes, I was asked if I had researched polygraphs in my pre-interview, but not in the actual polygraph exam. The examiner asked me why I researched polygraphs? Was I going to manipulate it? I said of course not, but I always study before going into a test, I knew nothing about polygraphs prior to my hiring process and wanted to know what they are about.

    While I am a big advocate of honesty in the hiring process, I am also an advocate on RESEARCH prior to entering into a new portion of the hiring process.

    This does not make you a "cheater" or "dishonest" for wanting to know what you are getting yourself into, just thorough.

    I researched every step of my hiring process. I learned everything I could about interviews, medicals, psych exams, polygraphs, backgrounds...not because I was trying to manipulate the system with deception or dishonesty, but I wanted to know what is next.

    Honesty was the foundation of everything during my hiring process. I used this formula.....

    If asked, a truthful answer was always given.

    If asked a question, I would answer the question honestly then be quiet.

    All other times I sat there with my mouth shut.

    I have had friends fail polygraphs, not because they were dishonest, but they were not educated for what they were getting into. They sat down and were honest, but when answering one of the polygrpaher's questions, they would answer the question and then ADD additional info not even asked for. This ultimately led to their demise.

    Learning about a polygraph does not mean I am trying to cheat it. Were you trying to cheat by going to fire stations and finding out what types of questions may be asked on the oral interview? No, you just wanted to be prepared.

    Be honest, be prepared and be consistent.
    Last edited by CaptBob; 01-21-2008 at 09:56 PM.

  25. #50
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Flanders, NJ
    Posts
    13,537

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptBob View Post
    blsboy:

    You can read into it anything you want. Have you seen the products on those sites? How can you pass judgement until you have? Do you think a candidate who wants to maintain their honesty can use what they want from a program to be prepared, know what to expect and still be honest, not try to beat the system and not cheat? Here's one of many that did just that:

    FF/PM1 Wrote in this previous posting:

    Yes, I was asked if I had researched polygraphs in my pre-interview, but not in the actual polygraph exam. The examiner asked me why I researched polygraphs? Was I going to manipulate it? I said of course not, but I always study before going into a test, I knew nothing about polygraphs prior to my hiring process and wanted to know what they are about.

    While I am a big advocate of honesty in the hiring process, I am also an advocate on RESEARCH prior to entering into a new portion of the hiring process.

    This does not make you a "cheater" or "dishonest" for wanting to know what you are getting yourself into, just thorough.

    I researched every step of my hiring process. I learned everything I could about interviews, medicals, psych exams, polygraphs, backgrounds...not because I was trying to manipulate the system with deception or dishonesty, but I wanted to know what is next.

    Honesty was the foundation of everything during my hiring process. I used this formula.....

    If asked, a truthful answer was always given.

    If asked a question, I would answer the question honestly then be quiet.

    All other times I sat there with my mouth shut.

    I have had friends fail polygraphs, not because they were dishonest, but they were not educated for what they were getting into. They sat down and were honest, but when answering one of the polygrpaher's questions, they would answer the question and then ADD additional info not even asked for. This ultimately led to their demise.

    Learning about a polygraph does not mean I am trying to cheat it. Were you trying to cheat by going to fire stations and finding out what types of questions may be asked on the oral interview? No, you just wanted to be prepared.

    Be honest, be prepared and be consistent.
    You can try to rewrite history cap'n bobby, but you can't. I'll type slow so you can understand.

    1. No one, but no one suggested that it was a bad thing to research the polygraph and the polygraph exam. No one.

    2. You directed these kids to go to websites whose basic purpose is to teach people how to beat the polygraph. There are legitimate places to research the polygraph. But you choose to direct the impressionable kids to websites that teach deception.

    3. You and junior have huge lies on your website. I have repeatedly asked for verification that you have helped more candidates become fire fighters than anyone else. Where is the proof?

    Your credibility is gone. But I have to thank you. My IM box is lighting up with messages from people who are fed up with you. Also from people who have bought your crap and STILL don't have jobs. Maybe I will post them as "testimonials".
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Polygraph, What can they not ask you
    By nwadler in forum Hiring & Employment Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-26-2007, 09:27 AM
  2. Polygraph
    By BKDRAFT in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-25-2007, 08:20 PM
  3. polygraph
    By morganhendley in forum Probie House: The Place for Newbies
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-19-2007, 11:45 PM
  4. polygraph help
    By firefox29 in forum Hiring & Employment Discussion
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 01-27-2006, 07:10 AM
  5. Polygraph
    By CaptBob in forum Hiring & Employment Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-22-2003, 11:24 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register