Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I wouldn't expect them to do anything.

In the meantime, some google-image searching and Adobe Photoshop yields these new photos of Captain Bob! Tada!
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

CaptBob it does not matter if the courts allow the use of the polygraph in criminal court cases. What does matter is that most public saftey jobs( LEO, FF, EMS) require you to take one. I agree with one to a point, that some people who are not lying fail the polygraph because they are nervous. But let be honest, if you get that tore up by taking a polygraph, then do I ready want you next to me on the fire ground when the sh*t hits the fan. Not everyone is ment to a Fireman, and the polygraph is just one way to "thin the herd".

To any one that has not passed the polygraph, no disrespect intended.

When it comes down to brass tacks , the best policy is honesty. If you have done somthing stupid in the past, (marijuana use for example) and they ask you about it, tell them the truth. Don't try to lie, because at the best the polygraph will show that your answer is inconclusive. So if you have to take a polygraph, relax, tell the truth. It's a Yes, or No answer test, so along as you did not lie on your application you will be fine.
    Last edited by BULL321; 01-21-2008 at 11:13 AM.

Forum Member

There has certainly been enough information to help candidates make a decision on how you want to prepare in your pursuits.

I would like to personally thank nmfire for his great insight on our psychic abilities and going to great lengths to put together the graphics. I liked it so much Iíve put the idea and pictures up on our web site. You can check it out here: http://www.eatstress.com/reading.htm

ďCaptain Bob"

Forum Member

I've learned over the few weeks that I've been a member here to not read Bob's stuff. Almost every single post of his includes links to sites. This alone discredits anything he says. I just deleted the two bookmarks I had to sites that he suggested that I stupidly believed when I first read them here. Thanks to everyone else for clearing my clouded vision.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Irish6019 View Post
    I've learned over the few weeks that I've been a member here to not read Bob's stuff. Almost every single post of his includes links to sites. This alone discredits anything he says. I just deleted the two bookmarks I had to sites that he suggested that I stupidly believed when I first read them here. Thanks to everyone else for clearing my clouded vision.
    Congratulations. Just help us spread the word.
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

And perhaps Capt Bob will eventually get sued for fraud just like Miss Cleo did!

Honesty and not being a criminal will get you the job. Not learning how to cheat the system.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by nmfire View Post
    And perhaps Capt Bob will eventually get sued for fraud just like Miss Cleo did!

Honesty and not being a criminal will get you the job. Not learning how to cheat the system.
    Exactly....

While our department reserves the right to require a polygraph they rarely give one.

I was never afraid of taking one despite a rambunctious youth during the 70's.

Just like I was never afraid of taking a drug test either.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

Forum Member

In the last year I have talked to a few hundred people who were recently hired, or hired shortly afterward. They all seemed to have the same thing in common, intelligence. I not necessarily talking about rocket scientist intelligence, but that kind of common scene that we all but require in firefighters. As such they all seemed to have gone about getting their job in a similar manner, they prepared in every way they could.

When we respond to a fire we try and prepare in every way before we enter. We look at the type of construction, occupancy, look for hazards, consider the time of day as well as weather conditions. Most people who get hired similarly prepare. They start by finding out how to properly fill out an application, decide if it should it be typed or handwritten, done on the computer or typewriter. Then they research they written test, there are many books on the subject because all but a select few need to find out whatís on the test and prepare. Then they find out what will be involved in the physical agility testing, and make sure they can pass by finding out about each event and what techniques work best so there are no surprises. Then they research the oral interview, ask those who took it last what kind of questions they can expect and then prepare for them. This is standard practice and is not considered cheating or being dishonest, it is the mark of an intelligent person doing all they can to get a job. Then they prepare for a chiefís interview. In filling out a background packet much thought and research is done, not many of us recall every job and address along with the dates, as well as figuring out whom to use as references. People will also put time and thought into the medical physical, I get a lot of calls from people trying to find out what eye sight requirements there are, can it be correctable, can you be slightly color blind, Etc. It is a very long and stressful process.

To expect an intelligent person to research every part of the hiring process and not do research on the polygraph, the section that eliminates the most people, is asinine. It seems ridicules that anyone would encourage a person to go into possibly the most foreign, stressful part of the process and learn nothing about it before hand. I would love to hear the benefit of not preparing.

I have seen George accuse Capt Bob of telling people to lie over and over. But he never seems to be able to show where this happened. There is a good reason, he never has. In fact anyone who has read Capt Bobís book, or gone through his DVD or CDís can tell you he spends a good portion of them telling people to be honest and include everything in their past, he even gives an example of how he did the same thing when he was hired.

I also think itís funny that people that apparently donít care for his postings seem to be the ones who read and reply to them the most. Not that Iím complaining, it just allows more people to read his postings. Iím sure that those people that are going to be hired some day, meaning the intelligent ones, will see that his advice is based in fact and is proven. I donít know about the track record of the others who post here, but I know Capt Bob has helped more people get hired as firefighters than are employed in the state of Hawaii.

I don't care who you are, the firefighters head on Miss Cleo is damn funny.

Good Luck, Capt Rob
    www.myfireinterview.com
    (707)869-1330
    nrtc@sonic.net

While I hate to be a fence rider....I think that both George and Capt. Bob have some good points.

I had to take a polygraph for a part-time job at our Fire Academy (it's operated by the State Patrol). Even though I have a spotless background and would never think of lying I was nervous as hell. The detective administrating the test was a really nice guy, and explained that my nervousness was brought on by the common misbelief that with the polygraph he could actually "read my mind."

I actually "failed" the first two attempts. The first time, the detective left the room and returned to say "we are going to do this again." The second time he left the room and came back in he stated that I was "moving my head when I answered." Finally, I passed on the third attempt.

I would never advocate lying, or cheating, or attempting to fool the evaluator. I would also not advocate walking into a polygraph cold either.

One quick addendum. 5 years ago the State Patrol did away with the polygraph for academy workers. (We're now private contractors). Why?.....because there was an 82% failure rate. Keep in mind that those taking the test were all career firefighters already.

Quote Originally Posted by FFighterRob View Post
    ....but I know Capt Bob has helped more people get hired as firefighters than are employed in the state of Hawaii.
    Something about this statement made me crack up. I know that I've helped a lot people get into a State of Confusion.

FG
    Last edited by Firegod343; 01-21-2008 at 03:27 PM.
    IACOJ.... "Carpe Elkhartem"
    (Seize the Nozzle)

"Victorious warriors win first,
    and then go to war,
    while defeated warriors go to war first,
    and then seek to win."

SUN TZU

The fact that Captain Cleo is directing people to sites specifically designed to teach you how to DEFRAUD the polygraph test, I would consider that the equivalent to telling them to be dishonest.

There is nothing wrong with researching what the polygraph is and how it works. But to suggest people learn how to lie and cheat through it is wrong. And as it has been pointed out many times already, he never once tells these kids to be honest in the polygraph. He just links a bunch of sites so they can learn how to NOT be honest.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FFighterRob View Post
    In the last year I have talked to a few hundred people who were recently hired, or hired shortly afterward. They all seemed to have the same thing in common, intelligence. I not necessarily talking about rocket scientist intelligence, but that kind of common scene that we all but require in firefighters. As such they all seemed to have gone about getting their job in a similar manner, they prepared in every way they could.

When we respond to a fire we try and prepare in every way before we enter. We look at the type of construction, occupancy, look for hazards, consider the time of day as well as weather conditions. Most people who get hired similarly prepare. They start by finding out how to properly fill out an application, decide if it should it be typed or handwritten, done on the computer or typewriter. Then they research they written test, there are many books on the subject because all but a select few need to find out whatís on the test and prepare. Then they find out what will be involved in the physical agility testing, and make sure they can pass by finding out about each event and what techniques work best so there are no surprises. Then they research the oral interview, ask those who took it last what kind of questions they can expect and then prepare for them. This is standard practice and is not considered cheating or being dishonest, it is the mark of an intelligent person doing all they can to get a job. Then they prepare for a chiefís interview. In filling out a background packet much thought and research is done, not many of us recall every job and address along with the dates, as well as figuring out whom to use as references. People will also put time and thought into the medical physical, I get a lot of calls from people trying to find out what eye sight requirements there are, can it be correctable, can you be slightly color blind, Etc. It is a very long and stressful process.

To expect an intelligent person to research every part of the hiring process and not do research on the polygraph, the section that eliminates the most people, is asinine. It seems ridicules that anyone would encourage a person to go into possibly the most foreign, stressful part of the process and learn nothing about it before hand. I would love to hear the benefit of not preparing.

I have seen George accuse Capt Bob of telling people to lie over and over. But he never seems to be able to show where this happened. There is a good reason, he never has. In fact anyone who has read Capt Bobís book, or gone through his DVD or CDís can tell you he spends a good portion of them telling people to be honest and include everything in their past, he even gives an example of how he did the same thing when he was hired.

I also think itís funny that people that apparently donít care for his postings seem to be the ones who read and reply to them the most. Not that Iím complaining, it just allows more people to read his postings. Iím sure that those people that are going to be hired some day, meaning the intelligent ones, will see that his advice is based in fact and is proven. I donít know about the track record of the others who post here, but I know Capt Bob has helped more people get hired as firefighters than are employed in the state of Hawaii.

I don't care who you are, the firefighters head on Miss Cleo is damn funny.

Good Luck, Capt Rob
    www.myfireinterview.com
    (707)869-1330
    nrtc@sonic.net
    Junior, nobody EVER stated not to research and prepare for the polygraph-especially me. In fact, if you bothered to read, I posted a rather legthy and technical description of exactly what the polygraph is and what it does. I also posted exactly what it does not do. My info is solid, not because I read it in a book, but because over the course of about 20 years, i have used the polygrpah in my investigations hundreds of times. I have observed dozens of polygraph exams. I have seen them work. Sometimes they influenced a person to confess, sometimes they cleared an innocent party and sometimes the results of the exam were inconclusive. But the polygraph worked every time. It is a tool.

Your daddy also has absolutely encouraged people to lie in their polygrpah. I am not going to go back and research it but it was the very first time I went to battle with him. Since that time, he will not come out and admit it. Now, he encourages people to only disclose the information that someone is likely to find out. He encourages people to "research" the polygraph at websites whose sole purpose is to teach people techniques that allegedly "beats" the polygraph. It is a blatanlty unethical approach to advise kids who are following their dream to become a fire fighter to learn deception techniques that will immediately if not sooner get them disqualified from the process when the operator detects they are using it.

But you are going to attack me? Attack away Junior. There are hundreds of thousands of fire fighters who managed to get hired without your daddy's help. Or yours for that matter. Making money on the backs of kids with a dream is disgusting.

I will continue to help these kids for free. I have helped a number of them, too. But I do it without coming on here selling snake oil and patting myself on the back.

Forum Member

Ive got my eye on you Focker!

MembersZone Subscriber

BTW Junior, you would have also seen that I am dead set against pre-employment polygraphs.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nmfire View Post
    The fact that Captain Cleo is directing people to sites specifically designed to teach you how to DEFRAUD the polygraph test, I would consider that the equivalent to telling them to be dishonest.

There is nothing wrong with researching what the polygraph is and how it works. But to suggest people learn how to lie and cheat through it is wrong. And as it has been pointed out many times already, he never once tells these kids to be honest in the polygraph. He just links a bunch of sites so they can learn how to NOT be honest.
    nmfire All the way through my postings I've encouraged candidates to be prepared before they show for every step of the hiring process including the poly while maintaining their honesty. Not to cheat, try to beat the system or defraud. Just being prepared to know what to expect.

As posted by firegod343 above:

One quick addendum. 5 years ago the State Patrol did away with the polygraph for academy workers. (We're now private contractors). Why?.....because there was an 82% failure rate. Keep in mind that those taking the test were all career firefighters already.

Where did you come up with that I'm directing and suggesting people to lie and not be honest? Have you actually seen these programs, not just the web sites hype? Do you think a candidate who wants to maintain their honesty can use what they want from a program to be prepared, know what to expect and still be honest? Show me where you found it.

BTWnmfire: You're a full time online firefighter, right? Years in service, right? Got 3,700 postings on firehouse, right. Maybe then you can direct us to those postings you've made with information to assist candidates in their pursuit to get hired and the testimonies from those you've helped?

"Captain Bob"
    Last edited by CaptBob; 01-21-2008 at 03:52 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Hey Junior. Can you prove this claim?

Hands down, we help more firefighters get hired in the US of A and Canada than anyone else!

That was copied from your website. If you can't prove it, it is a lie.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptBob View Post
    BTW nmfire: You're a full time online firefighter, right? Years in service, right? Got 3,700 postings on firehouse, right. Maybe then you can direct us to those postings you've made with information to assist candidates in their pursuit to get hired and the testimonies from those you've helped?
    Oooooh. Great defense. Resort to post counts!. See, here is the difference between you and me. I don't claim to be someone I'm not. I don't give people moronic advice. And I don't use this forum to advertise my personal business for free rather than paying for ad-space. I generally stick to the subject matter I am good at or have some useful experience in. And when I don't know, I usually keep my mouth shut and let someone else dive in.

In this case, I know your giving out crappy advice about the polygraph so I'm speaking up. I know this because I did manage to pass it and I did so without you or any crap website's help.

MembersZone Subscriber

See, here is the difference between you and me.
    Come on now, there's alot of differnece between you and him.

Forum Member

George, It is interesting that when I ask you to back up your claim that people are being told to lie, you say you donít have the time. Every time you have brought it up over the years I have asked you where it was posted and you never have said where you get it from. When a person makes an allegation and canít back it up they loose credibility. But your response is to ask me to back up a claim on my sight.

I have the names, phone numbers, and emails of over four hundred people I have helped get hired in the last five years, but I donít need to post them here, it would be silly and I donít give out other peoples information without asking. But you will see the testimonials from a lot of them on my sight.

I have found that people that want to discuss facts use facts, people that donít have a good argument switch to name calling and insults. I have not said anything bad about you at all, I asked a question. If you want to call me junior thatís fine, as a matter of fact I am a JR. If you want to call Capt Bob, Bobbie thatís fine, it is kind of funny because the only other person that ever calls him that is my Mom when she is feeling amorous. You also referred to snake oil salesmen. Well, seeing as that all of the products and services offered by Capt Bob and myself are 100% money back, no questions asked, I would like to know who is getting ripped off.

Good Luck, Capt Rob
    www.myfireinterview.com
    (707)869-1330
    nrtc@sonic.net

Thumbs up

I have personally met Captain Bob and Captain Rob where they helped me obtain my career in the fire service. They are stand up straight forward individuals who are truly trying there very best to get candidates hired. Yes they are getting paid but why shouldn't they? When they spend time to do seminars at colleges and set aside time to meet with you one on one I have no problem paying them. They are providing a service just like any other business. At no time have I ever been told, hinted, or heard anyone else mention to be anything else than truthful.

I recommend and continue to send aspiring candidates there way.

Keep up the good work guys!

Thread Information