Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Milwaukee and Madison, WI departments

I know that Madison should be accepting applications again in December of this year, but what about Milwaukee? I heard it could be this coming febuary? How long is the process usually from accpeting applications until you start the recruit academy?

MembersZone Subscriber

There is a link on the Milwaukee website where you can sign up. Then they will send you a letter or email when they begin taking apps.

I'm really not even looking forward to it that much anymore. I've been told by numerous people that it's nearly impossible without residency, military, or minority points.

I also heard another rumor that they will be requiring FFI, FFII, and EMT. This would be awesome, but I doubt it is true.

I'm in the process with LA City, St Louis, and Greenfield so hopefully one of those will work out.
    Last edited by clark918; 01-14-2008 at 01:13 PM.

uwmlax2, there have already been a couple of threads started on this topic. I suggest checking them out. I'm sure they have all the info you're looking for. Here are the links of you're still interested: Madison or Milwaukee Hiring?, Wisconsin FF Jobs.
    Until you've been on a Harley-Davidson, you haven't been on a motorcycle

Forum Member

I'm not sure if things have changed but you don't have to have residency(initially), I'm not a minority, but I am in the National Guard but at the time I was offered a position I didn't have any veterans points yet. I wish I could have accepted but some things going on in life at that time(1997) eliminated that option. You do have to have city of Milwaukee residence within a certain time frame of being hired.

Quote Originally Posted by uwmlax2 View Post
    I know that Madison should be accepting applications again in December of this year, but what about Milwaukee? I heard it could be this coming febuary? How long is the process usually from accpeting applications until you start the recruit academy?
    With budget cuts looming, it doesn't sound as though a hiring process is going to happen in Milwaukee anytime soon. In fact, they may even have to worry about cutbacks of their current personnel. I'm not sure if this is because population growth has become stagnant, or if it's due to poor fiscal management.

Madison, on the other hand, has a new station being built and many baby boomer retirements on the horizon, so I'm sure they'll go forward with the anticipated hiring process starting this upcoming December. The class sizes should continue to be decent sized. The City of Madison is growing quite substantially, so this doesn't surprise me. The taxes are a little high, but it's a great place to live, and the department there reflects that.

Quote Originally Posted by uwmlax2 View Post
    I know that Madison should be accepting applications again in December of this year
    I think the MFD website originally said December of this year, but it looks like they may take applications a little bit earlier, because now the website says a new hiring process should start this fall. They must need a lot of positions filled quickly.

Does anyone know when the construction of Station 12 is supposed to be done? I heard that it's going up off the west end of Mineral Point Rd.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LightsAndSirens View Post
    I think the MFD website originally said December of this year, but it looks like they may take applications a little bit earlier, because now the website says a new hiring process should start this fall. They must need a lot of positions filled quickly.
    L+S, I noticed that, also. If I recall correctly, it did say December back in May.

Milwaukee Fire Department Kicks Off Recruitment Period July 12 at Five Firehouses

Individuals have 21 days to submit an application to participate in the firefighter examination process

Milwaukee – (July 11, 2008) – The Milwaukee Fire Department (MFD) and the Fire and Police Commission will begin accepting applications for the position of firefighter on July 12. On this official kickoff date, MFD personnel, the Fire and Police Commission and the Department of Employee Relations will staff five Milwaukee-area firehouses where applicants can obtain information about the job of a firefighter, minimum qualifications, and examination requirements. In addition, application materials can be downloaded or submitted online throughout the entire recruitment period, July 12- August 1, at www.milwaukee.gov/jobs. Applicants can also obtain application materials in person at City Hall, 200 East Wells, Room 706, and the Milwaukee Fire Department Administration Building, 711 West Wells, third floor. This is the first recruitment/examination effort conducted by the City in the last five years.

“We are excited to embark on another MFD recruitment effort, and await adding new talent to our team of esteemed firefighters,” said Fire Chief Douglas A. Holton. “Becoming a firefighter is an honorable profession that allows someone to give back and become servants of their community. Additionally, the Milwaukee Fire Department offers a promising, family-supporting career with excellent benefits.”

The five firehouses accepting applications on July 12 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. are Engine 4, 9511 West Appleton Avenue; Engine 10, 5600 West Oklahoma Avenue; Engine 36, 4060 North 27th Street; Engine 6, 1693 North Franklin; and Engine 12, 1400 South 9th Street. All applications must be received or postmarked no later than Friday, August 1, 2008. Applicants can obtain additional information and keep updated on the firefighter selection process by calling 414-286-FIRE (3473).

The MFD recruitment team will also visit various community-based and educational organizations throughout the city as part of the effort to recruit individuals pursuing a career in fire service. Those locations will be listed on the MFD Web site, http://www.milwaukee.gov/RSS/router.asp?docid=311.

Individuals who meet the minimum qualifications are invited to take the written test in August. Other components of the examination process will be administered to eligible applicants before the end of the year, including a Physical Ability Test and an Oral Examination. It is anticipated that the first recruit class resulting from this process will begin spring 2009.

Milwaukee Fire Department

The Milwaukee Fire Department (MFD) is the primary fire suppression, prevention, rescue and emergency medical service for the City of Milwaukee. The department’s motto is "Courage, Integrity and Honor." MFD consists of approximately 1000 firefighters, many of which serve simultaneously as paramedics providing emergency medical services. MFD is known as one of the best fire departments nationwide for its response times and quality medical emergency services

http://www.milwaukee.gov/jobs/Firefighter

Forum Member

I filled my app out on Sunday.
    There expecting around 10,000 to apply.

good luck. I know I'm looking for some.

MembersZone Subscriber

APPLIED, any idea when the written might be??

MembersZone Subscriber

Anyone know of what the physical test consist of.

MembersZone Subscriber

I think there's a description of the physical test that they've used in the past on their site. However, rumor has it that they will use the CPAT this time.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by clark918 View Post
    There is a link on the Milwaukee website where you can sign up. Then they will send you a letter or email when they begin taking apps.

I'm really not even looking forward to it that much anymore. I've been told by numerous people that it's nearly impossible without residency, military, or minority points.

I also heard another rumor that they will be requiring FFI, FFII, and EMT. This would be awesome, but I doubt it is true.

I'm in the process with LA City, St Louis, and Greenfield so hopefully one of those will work out.

Nothing is impossible, however I failed to see any points awarded to minority groups on the website. Residency yes, education yes, and as always veterans points.

Forum Member

does anyone know what the psych test consists of? does the dept administer a polygraph?

Forum Member

Hi all,

Applied on Sunday. Here is what is on the MFD site.
    Good luck to you guys.

THE SELECTION PROCESS
    The selection process currently consists of a written multiple choice test, a physical ability test and an oral test. Test components are subject to change. You must achieve a passing score on each test in order to continue in the process. If you pass all components you will be placed on an eligible list in an order determined by your final composite score. Depending on the number of applications, the Fire and Police Commission reserves the right to limit the applicant pool by random selection. If your eligibility number is reached on the eligible list, you must pass a medical examination, drug test, and background investigation. If you fail any one of these components you will be removed from the eligible list.
    WRITTEN TEST
    You are not expected to know technical material about the job, but you must be able to understand such material presented to you both orally and in writing. The most recent written test consisted of the following components:
    ORAL INSTRUCTIONS: You will listen to taped instructions and answer multiple choice questions about what you have been instructed to do. The instructions are like those you will need to follow as a recruit and as a firefighter.
    CLASSROOM LEARNING: You will listen to and take notes on several taped lectures, then answer multiple-choice questions about the subjects taught, using your notes as reference. The lectures are like those from which you will be expected to learn as a recruit and later during in-service training.
    READING COMPREHENSION: You will read written selections and answer multiple choice questions about what you have read. The selections are like the materials you must read and understand as a recruit and as a firefighter.
    THE PHYSICAL ABILITY TEST
    The current Physical Ability Test (PAT) is a course on which you will perform a series of strenuous exercises, similar to the activities at a fire scene. You will wear a fire coat and helmet, and carry an air tank harnessed to your back. The total weight of this gear is approximately 45 pounds. You must complete the course within a time limit.
    LADDER CLIMB: Climb a 40-foot ladder to the third level of the training tower, then descend the tower by the outside fire escape.
    HOSE DRAG: Drag a dry 2 1/2-inch hoseline for 200 feet. The weight being dragged increases as you progress.
    CHOPPING SIMULATION: Strike a target with an 8-pound sledge hammer 50 times.
    PIKE POLE SIMULATION: Use a pike pole (a pole with both a point and a hook at the end) to alternately push up and pull down a board suspended overhead. Twenty acceptable push/pull sets must be completed.
    LADDER LIFT: Pick up a 24-foot extension ladder hanging horizontally on a rack about 30 inches from the ground, lift it to rest on a shelf about 57 inches from the ground, then replace the ladder on the lower rack.
    MANNEQUIN CRAWL: Move a 125-pound mannequin from a table and drag it through a simulated tunnel, then pick up the mannequin and place it back on the table.
    Preparation: Anyone who intends to participate in the PAT must be in general good health and at a high level of physical fitness in terms of muscular strength and endurance, and aerobic power. The PAT course is more demanding than it may appear from the description. Your preparation should concentrate on weight training combined with aerobic training to develop muscular strength, and the ability to maintain a high level of activity for an extended period without becoming fatigued.
    ORAL EXERCISE
    In the oral exercise, you will view situations that could be a part of a firefighter's job. The situations will be acted out by professional actors and shown to you on a television screen, and your responses to the scenes will be videotaped. A monitor will seat you in front of the screen and give you a chance to get settled so that you can see and hear. The monitor will also see that you are situated correctly for the camera that will film you. You will view 8 scenes. After each scene, you will see the word RESPOND on the screen. You will then have 45 seconds to give your response. Talk to the monitor as if you were talking to the real people in the situation that has been depicted. Do not respond by describing what you would do if you were in the situation. Rather, respond as if you were actually there. Before the test begins, you will have the opportunity to warm up with some routine questions and a practice scene that will not be scored. The monitor will leave after starting the scenarios. No one will be in the room with you as you take the test. The actors on the screen may look expectantly at you, or change expression as you are responding to them, but they will not be able to interact with you. Your response might not require the entire 45 seconds. When you have said everything you think you should say, you may just wait quietly for the next scene. Your videotaped responses will be evaluated later by a panel of trained and certified raters.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Milwaukee Car Pool

If you are going to test for the department and are in or near or passing by the detroit metro area let me know... I am trying to set up a car pool to save some gas money and have some fun up there... Message me or drop me an email at Detroit1552fire@yahoo.com

Forum Member

10,000 apps! and the first class is only going to have 40-50 recruits in it. almost sounds discouraging.

MembersZone Subscriber

sounds like another chicago deal...

MembersZone Subscriber pedalinmedic's Avatar

detroit fire, I am in the south bend / michigan city area... About 3 hrs from Mil and right on your way... might be will to take over the drive from here
    "Some people train till they get it right, we will train till we can't get it wrong"

Is gaire cabhair de na an doras

Virtete et Valare Luceo Non Uro

MembersZone Subscriber

**** I'm 10 minutes from the Middlebury exit on 80/90

Thread Information