Thread: Detroit, Mi

Forum Member

Default Detroit, Mi

Hey everybody, for some reason my posts aren't being saved so i'm going to try again.

I was just wondering if anybody has heard anything about Detroit accepting applications anytime soon. A friend of mine said he heard they would be within the next month or two and I was just wondering if there was any truth to this.

thanks

MembersZone Subscriber

How many FF'ers still have to be given the option of recall that were layed off? It seems there must still be hundreds...

Forum Member

Default everyone is back

there were around 60 laid off a few years ago and they are all back now.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Fyi

Yo there EMS I know is accepting applicants EMTs or Medics.. I just took a test for it recently im not to sure how much that may help but thought it throw that out there.

Forum Member

Default thanks

yea, i knew ems was accepting applications, i think they have been for a while now but im not positive

Good thing's happening

Any info about Detroit accepting applications ?

Rob

MembersZone Subscriber

Smile

Detroit EMS is always hiring. You have to go through there academy before being put on the road. The pay is good but, thats about it. You will run calls around the clock (due to staffing). The fire side will NOT help out with ems runs. As far as the FD I have not hear any word on hiring. Are you in MI? The economy is really (recession) bad and the major has his priorities bass ackwords. I live in the detroit area and it is sad that the economy is effecting public jobs. I have gone as far as looking out of state for work because everyone is hiring but MI. There are FD hiring here but nowhere near the # of other states. I just got my medic so that will open some doors for me. Do you have ur medic. To apply for alot of FDs you have top have ur FFI/II and medic @ app. If you want the short term experience try out EMS you can always quit, as long as you leave on good terms it woludnt be a negative on your work history. Hope that was helpful.

Good thing's happening

Quote Originally Posted by FFER55 View Post
    Detroit EMS is always hiring. You have to go through there academy before being put on the road. The pay is good but, thats about it. You will run calls around the clock (due to staffing). The fire side will NOT help out with ems runs. As far as the FD I have not hear any word on hiring. Are you in MI? The economy is really (recession) bad and the major has his priorities bass ackwords. I live in the detroit area and it is sad that the economy is effecting public jobs. I have gone as far as looking out of state for work because everyone is hiring but MI. There are FD hiring here but nowhere near the # of other states. I just got my medic so that will open some doors for me. Do you have ur medic. To apply for alot of FDs you have top have ur FFI/II and medic @ app. If you want the short term experience try out EMS you can always quit, as long as you leave on good terms it woludnt be a negative on your work history. Hope that was helpful.
    To answer your questions no im not in MI im in NC. As for the recession part its affecting the nation just not MI. And I do not have my medic either I should be working on my emt-b to be honest.

Rob

Forum Member

Economy is shot up there. Those guys havent had a raise or any type of incentive in years, just for your interest.
    Last edited by skiwiz6; 11-06-2008 at 04:15 PM.

Good thing's happening

Quote Originally Posted by skiwiz6 View Post
    I got a brother Inlaw on the job up in Detroit, and he said they still got guys out on lay-off plus the city isnt hiring right now. Economy is shot up there. Those guys havent had a raise or any type of incentive in years, just for your interest.
    Not what I heard when I called yesterday and spoke to a nice lady who basically told me that there will be PSA's all over and when I asked her about knowing any time line she said they haven't given a exact date but be on the look out. SO hopefully soon!!

Oh and she said if your in the Detroit area you can go to the Coleman young municipal building and fill out a card that announces when it open they will notify you by mail...but if you not in the Detroit area you cannot do it over the phone or any other way just in person unless you have a buddy help you out...

Rob

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by eaglesrule1024 View Post
    To answer your questions no im not in MI im in NC. As for the recession part its affecting the nation just not MI. And I do not have my medic either I should be working on my emt-b to be honest.

Rob
    In FFER55's defense, yes the recession is affecting the whole country, but MI is one of the worst, if not the worst.

I'm thinking about going for D-town EMS. I just don't know how crazy it is down there. Can anyone shed some light on that?
    Last edited by guardo83; 01-19-2008 at 04:53 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default it can get pretty crazy

Its a very busy ems system you work 12 hour shifts and its a rotating schedule is my understanding ie some weeks you work midnights and others you work days im not 100% positive as to how it works but i know its something along those lines. the pay is alright i dont know the exact numbers but getting in seems to be not that easy ive applied a few times and have heard nothing i got to the point of taking the written and i knew a few other people at the test and they have not heard anything that was in late nov we were told we would hear from them by end of dec and its now jan so who knows whats going on. but my advice put your app in it cant hurt! the city can only get better in my opinion the city is making good moves like getting more cops out there i know there police academy has been hiring back all the laid off officers and has hired a lot more thats my take i live in the area if you have any questions lemme know good luck!

MembersZone Subscriber

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by guardo83 View Post
    In FFER55's defense, yes the recession is affecting the whole country, but MI is one of the worst, if not the worst.

I'm thinking about going for D-town EMS. I just don't know how crazy it is down there. Can anyone shed some light on that?
    Thanks for the back up. Everyone thinks the economy is so bad where they are but, they are not here. Take their economy and times it by 5 and thats MI. How can he say NC is bad when that state had the most new residents of 07'. The economy shouldnt affect public saftey jobs but it is here.
    Not exectly sure where carney is but if you want a ems job for now medstar isnt bad. They pay decent and it is a good company. I work contingent there and its not bad. Not saying D-town EMS is bad. I worked with a guy at medstar that also works for D EMS and the only negatives were-overly busy and fire doesnt have to help with the majority of ems calls. The pay is higher than any other ems in the area. Hope that was helpful.

Forum Member

Default New Info?

Just wondering if anyone heard anything new?

MembersZone Subscriber

Default detroit fire

EMS academy is supposed to start a new academy possibly in march... and the latest rumor for FF apps is july... any questions Email me Detroit1552fire@yahoo.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by detroitfire1552 View Post
    EMS academy is supposed to start a new academy possibly in march... and the latest rumor for FF apps is july... any questions Email me Detroit1552fire@yahoo.com
    Hey Detroit,
    Do you know if they are taking interest cards at the Coleman Young Center? I just talked to a lady in HR today, and she said they still haven't been given a date for taking apps, but they are being told soon. Just wondering if you've heard anymore.

Forum Member

Question

do you have to have an intrest card to be able to submit and app.? I know thats how Toledo is?

Thanks

Forum Member

I just put my app in for Detroit EMS. Can any one tell me about the hiring process and how the EMS Academy works?
    would be greatly appreciated.
    thanks

Forum Member

There is a tree in a fotest
    Last edited by skiwiz6; 11-06-2008 at 04:09 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

EMS academy just started last week, it consists of a lot of breaking down in the beginning as if you do not know a damn thing, then you are basically doing a EMT-B refresher course and simulated lifts 5 days a week and lots of push ups and PT. there are apps taken continuously on the city HR website and it takes anywhere from 3 months to a year for the whole process but there should be academies every 4-6 months for the next few years judging by the past few years because we are still way understaffed at the moment...

Forum Member

What's the pay like? Is there a good chance to go from ems to fire/ems once you have a job there?

MembersZone Subscriber

When you are talking about Detroit Fire Department there is the Firefighting division and an EMS division... Fire does not do any EMS work so their is no firefighter/EMT or Medic in the city... Pay on EMS and Fire are both good but to get on Detroit as a Firefighter is nearly impossible... Each class Detroit does for fire only lets 2-3 EMS workers switch over as not to deplete the EMS division and there are many people on EMS that want a fire job... If you like EMS work Detroit is the best place to be hands down with a higher run volume than anyone!!! If you want to fight fire Detroit is hands down the best with the highest run volume per area/per firefighter... Like I said it is nearly impossible to get on Fire here last class was almost 5 years ago and before that 3 years prior the city is down many firefighters but will not pay to hire anymore... Get your fire 1 and 2 and start looking elsewhere if your sights are set on detroit. My 2 cents

MembersZone Subscriber

thats about it right there, they just held an "inter-department" promotional opportunity within the city for firefighter and lots of us on EMS tested and they aren't taking anyone. if you want pure EMS though u can't find any better pay and experience, just be prepared to put up with a lot of bull****... but basic emt pay is topped out at just shy of $20/hr. so...

MembersZone Subscriber

Cferd Drop me an email I am on EMS too Detroit1552fire@yahoo.com I tried to contact you through the site but you can't receive emails... I applied to Milwaukee too and I am trying to get a car pool together already got a couple of guys going... talk to ya soon bro

Forum Member

What do you have to do before the academy?
    Oral board?
    Written test?
    ...?

Iím new in the field and working for Medic One Ambulance for now as a basic.
    Also I am in a medic program until next February, is it possible to go to school one day a week and work at Detroit EMS.

Thanks for all your help.

Thread Information