Thread: Rope

Forum Member

Default Rope

I just got 17 and a half feet of rope for the basic firefighter class that I am taking. What is the best way to fold/wrap/tie the rope so it will fit in one of the pockets in my turnout pants? The rope is made out of nylon and it is 5/8 inchs thick. Thanks for the help.
    The words I post here are my own. They do not reflect the opinions of the organizations I am affilliated with.

Forum Member

Personally all the rope that I have used comes stuffed in a big bag that is either on the engine or truck, or on on the SCBA that I am using so I am not exactily sure what the rope is for besides practicing knots. You could wrap the rope any way you wanted either roll it up or jam it in a pocket. I Daisy-Chain any personal non bagged rope that I want to store. I guess if I wanted to carry it with me I could just grab a caribener (sp?) and hook it on something or stuff it in a pocket the best I can.
    "...We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
    For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
    Shall be my brother;..." - King Henry V - Shakespeare

Quote Originally Posted by Catch22 View Post
    It's not the brightest thing to come into a topic and try to provoke a bunch of guys/gals with more time on the firehouse crapper than you do in the firehouse.
    "crispitycrunchitypeanutbuttery t0ast" - DFurtman

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by t0asty View Post
    Personally all the rope that I have used comes stuffed in a big bag that is either on the engine or truck, or on on the SCBA that I am using so I am not exactily sure what the rope is for besides practicing knots. You could wrap the rope any way you wanted either roll it up or jam it in a pocket. I Daisy-Chain any personal non bagged rope that I want to store. I guess if I wanted to carry it with me I could just grab a caribener (sp?) and hook it on something or stuff it in a pocket the best I can.
    Whats a Daisy-Chain??
    The words I post here are my own. They do not reflect the opinions of the organizations I am affilliated with.

Forum Member

Sorry. Here is a video on how to do it. I bet there are other names for it.

http://www.flixya.com/video/122971/H..._a_daisy_chain

It is the same idea just with smaller rope. and all you need to start is a loop.
    "...We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
    For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
    Shall be my brother;..." - King Henry V - Shakespeare

Quote Originally Posted by Catch22 View Post
    It's not the brightest thing to come into a topic and try to provoke a bunch of guys/gals with more time on the firehouse crapper than you do in the firehouse.
    "crispitycrunchitypeanutbuttery t0ast" - DFurtman

MembersZone Subscriber

Just stuff it in you paint pocket and clip a carabineer to the end and clip it to the side of you pocket. I keep 20ft in the bottom of my right pocket and then put my fire gloves on top of them. Plenty of room for both.

MembersZone Subscriber

Tie a figure 8 on a bight on one end. A simple over hand knot in the other. Stuff the (over hand knot) end in your pocket. And like was said, slip a 'biner into the 8 and clip it onto the pocket.
    "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

IACOJ

"Criticism is prejudice made plausible."
    - H. L. Mencken (1880-1956)

Forum Member

When i went through the academy i just stuffed my rope neatly into my pants pocket.
    Hello. Fire dept.. You light'em, We fight'em!

"hard working, gear jamming, nail driving, "jake". "

IACOJ
    4-16-2010 "On the approach"

Forum Member

Thanks for the post guys. And while we are on the subject of rope and knots, besides the figure eight on a bight, the half hitch, the clove hitch and the bowline, what other knots do I need to know? Thanks again everyone.

makes good girls go bad

Quote Originally Posted by whfdExplorer View Post
    I just got 17 and a half feet of rope for the basic firefighter class that I am taking. What is the best way to fold/wrap/tie the rope so it will fit in one of the pockets in my turnout pants? The rope is made out of nylon and it is 5/8 inchs thick. Thanks for the help.
    You do know the melting point of nylon is low, right?
    it is good for utility, but I would not bring it in a live burn.
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BLSboy View Post
    I know it does, I got it for utility work. As for live burn rope, I have about 15 feet of rope made out of cotton or some other natural fiber, but I'm pretty sure it is cotton.

Forum Member

For my class, we had to keep the rope with us 24/7. I just stuffed it into my pants. I had a daisy chain for a while, but it did not save that much space.
    FF/Paramedic

Forum Member

What coul you possibly be using 5/8" rope for anyhow. That is way too big for just about anything at all. And, 17 and a half feet, what sort of length is that for? What do you intend to use the rope for? There are a lot of options out there to consider.
    Jason Brooks
    IAFF Local 2388
    IACOJ

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jbrescue View Post
    What coul you possibly be using 5/8" rope for anyhow. That is way too big for just about anything at all. And, 17 and a half feet, what sort of length is that for? What do you intend to use the rope for? There are a lot of options out there to consider.
    First off, the reason I got 5/8" rope was because that was the only size the store that I went to had. And second, the class instuctor told us to get a least 12 feet of rope. I didn't want to get to much because all I am using it for is for knots on tools in class. When the class is done, I am going to get at least 25 feet of utility work.

makes good girls go bad

Dude, heres some advise that will free up alot of room in your pockets. The only rope you should be carrying in the real world is life safety rope.
    If you need something for utility, get 15 ft of webbing. There should be utility rope on the trucks.
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

Forum Member

Good advice BLS. But, 20 feet of webbing is pretty standard, good for a harness also. Then 8mm escape rope is good. No larger than 1/2" is ever needed for anything else. If I can haul over 9000# with 1/2", why would I ever need 5/8"?
    Jason Brooks
    IAFF Local 2388
    IACOJ

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BLSboy View Post
    Nylon melts at about 350+ degrees. If it gets to 350 degrees on the floor, you will be dead shortly there after.

makes good girls go bad

Good advice BLS. But, 20 feet of webbing is pretty standard, good for a harness also. Then 8mm escape rope is good. No larger than 1/2" is ever needed for anything else. If I can haul over 9000# with 1/2", why would I ever need 5/8"?
    I am kinda partial to the Sterling FireTech 32 rope. 50 ft of it takes up only half my right pocket.

I prefer two lengths of 10 ft webbing. One is prerigged to drag something or some one, the other is just a roll, to tie off something.
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF

FIGJAM

Quote Originally Posted by whfdExplorer View Post
    Thanks for the post guys. And while we are on the subject of rope and knots, besides the figure eight on a bight, the half hitch, the clove hitch and the bowline, what other knots do I need to know? Thanks again everyone.
    I'dd add in the following-
    Figure 8
    Figure 8 follow through
    Double figure 8
    Alpine butterfly
    Double fishermans

If you're carrying tape, then you've gotta know the Tape Knot.

It could be used to tie the Juniors up after you've told them multiple times, "Stand there, don't move and don't touch anything!!!"
    Luke

Forum Member

lutan you are my hero.

We are working on some testing of the bachmann knot as well. We are thinking of using it as an ascending knot and in a z drag for the mechanical advantage knot. The dragging bowline is always a good knot for the explorers to learn also. And do not forget the handcuff knot for RIT.
    Jason Brooks
    IAFF Local 2388
    IACOJ

FIGJAM

lutan you are my hero.

We are working on some testing of the bachmann knot as well. We are thinking of using it as an ascending knot and in a z drag for the mechanical advantage knot. The dragging bowline is always a good knot for the explorers to learn also. And do not forget the handcuff knot for RIT.
    You're only human JB!

In relation to the Bachmann- I didn't know that was what it was called.

If anyone is not familiar with it, go to- http://www.animatedknots.com/klemhei...s.com#Bachmann
    Luke

Forum Member

Has anyone here ever used the Bachmann knot for anything? It is much easier to move and reset. We have not tested it thoroughly yet in order to get numbers on slippage or strength yet. We are fortunate enough in our area to have one of the guys that is very well known for his research and testing. Eventually he will test this knot for us. If anyone has old equipment that they would like to donate for the testing procedures, I can get it to him. He tests just about anything to failure. If you donate gear, he has always shared the results from the testing.
    Jason Brooks
    IAFF Local 2388
    IACOJ

FIGJAM

I've used the Klemheist and the Prussik, but not the Bachmann. I'm teaching a VR course in a couple of weeks- I'll give it a try at some stage...
    Luke

Thread Information