WFDFire2156
    Firehouse.com Guest

Default whats the best type of Bunker gear??

i havent seen this thread yet soo I thought Id start it. What is the best manufatuer and type of bunker gear out there. Pictures of peoples gear would be appriciated. Also what color gear do you prefer? I have a set of black globe which works and looks great with a Cairens 880 Trad lid and 5006 pro warrington leathers.
    --------------------------------
    Thanks Stay Safe,
    343 never forget

Permanently Removed

I am not an expert in this area, but asking who makes the best gear is like asking who makes the best auto.

I think for the most part the fabric comes from almost the same mills. But I will let someone else address that.

To be very honest, I have had two sets of Janesville gear and they have been through hell and back and still holding up really well. One set is in service, the other is in reserve.

Hope that helps out.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by WFDFire2156 View Post
    i havent seen this thread yet soo I thought Id start it. What is the best manufatuer and type of bunker gear out there. Pictures of peoples gear would be appriciated. Also what color gear do you prefer? I have a set of black globe which works and looks great with a Cairens 880 Trad lid and 5006 pro warrington leathers.
    --------------------------------
    Thanks Stay Safe,
    343 never forget

I would have to say that it depends on your area. For example you would not want moring pride or globe g-xtreme gear if you have a bunch of high rises in your first due. They are too big, and bulky.

I would go for lighter gear if it were up to me. Keep in mind that Firefighters are dying of cardiac related events not burns. Get the gear lighter, and breathing better.

WFDFire2156
    Firehouse.com Guest

Morning pride whats wrong with that for highrises thats what the FDNY uses and theres tons of highrises in NYC.How much lighter can you get then G-Extreame I mean you could were brush fire gear lolol. I live by Chicago and they have one of the biggest highrise districts in the Nation and they use Black Janesville Lion apprale and thats pretty bulky
    Last edited by WFDFire2156; 01-14-2008 at 08:30 PM. Reason: forgot to add something

Forum Member

I got a set of Bristol fire gear. Its tan with orange and white reflective stripes. Its nice and light weight and stands up to a beating pretty good. I prefer black gear though. Looks better.
    Hello. Fire dept.. You light'em, We fight'em!

"hard working, gear jamming, nail driving, "jake". "

IACOJ
    4-16-2010 "On the approach"

It looks hot in there

Currently wearing Janesville, it's light but quite stiff, even though it's been used pretty well. But, I will always be biased towards Morning Pride. I love the stuff to death, and i am currently looking at specing out a new set.
    'Adversus incendia excubias nocturnas vigilesque commentus est"

www.vententersearch.com

MembersZone Subscriber

best type is whoever still makes 3/4's... I think chieftan does and Servus hip boots...
    The Box. You opened it. We Came...

"You'll take my life but I'll take your's too. You'll fire musket but I'll run you through. So when your waiting for the next attack, you'll better understand there's no turn back."

Forum Member

Morning pride whats wrong with that for highrises thats what the FDNY uses and theres tons of highrises in NYC.How much lighter can you get then G-Extreame I mean you could were brush fire gear lolol. I live by Chicago and they have one of the biggest highrise districts in the Nation and they use Black Janesville Lion apprale and thats pretty bulky
    Punctuation and spelling; that's all I will say for now.

Forum Member

Trying to decide on one suit being the all around best is like trying to determine the best shoe. Everybody has different criteria. We have tried the Janesville, Morning Pride and Globe. By far the Globe has been the best for our department and has had the best lifetime cost (less wear and tear) for our budget.

Forum Member

We've been slowly replacing a mix of different brands of old gear for the past 3 years. We've been doing Globe X-Treme for all the new stuff.

We just got word that we were awarded an AFG grant. Part of that grant is 13 sets of turnouts to finish replacing all the old stuff.

All of a sudden, we are awash in sample gear from different manufacturers. Right now we have Quest and FireDex gear in house. Morning Pride is supposed to have a sample to us this week. Globe has promised another sample. Janesville has promised a sample set as well.

Of what I have seen so far, I like my Globes the best, but I am looking forward to seeing what Morning Pride and Janesville send.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JHR1985 View Post
    best type is whoever still makes 3/4's... I think chieftan does and Servus hip boots...
    Don't forget the long coat with the rubber coating. In bunkers almost a year now and would go back in a heartbeat!!!!!! I truly dislike bunker gear....
    I am a complacent liability to the fire service

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoFF View Post
    Don't forget the long coat with the rubber coating. In bunkers almost a year now and would go back in a heartbeat!!!!!! I truly dislike bunker gear....
    I remember on the news about two months ago seeing chicago fire and half of the guys working a high rise fire were wearing hip boots and long coats.
    Hello. Fire dept.. You light'em, We fight'em!

"hard working, gear jamming, nail driving, "jake". "

IACOJ
    4-16-2010 "On the approach"

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoFF View Post
    Chicago,

I just posted this info on another thread, but it might be interesting for you. We just purchased a whole bunch of hip boots. We chose the ones from Airboss because they were the only ones that are NFPA 1971 certified and they are much more comfortable than the servus hip boots.

Heres the website:

www.airbossdefense.com

Have a good one.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs up Try This.............

What is the best type of bunker gear out there.

Clean and Dry.............
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

MembersZone Subscriber

.....you forgot dirty and smelly after a good snot slinger!

Stay Safe
    Chris Polimeni
    Prince George's County FD
    Back at the Big 29er

Back In Black

Quote Originally Posted by firemonkey311 View Post
    I got a set of Bristol fire gear. Its tan with orange and white reflective stripes. Its nice and light weight and stands up to a beating pretty good. I prefer black gear though. Looks better.
    This is a matter of personal choice, unfortunately, it's not usually left to each person because it would be costly.

The best way to go about selecting gear is to get some gear and have some of your seasoned and hard working vets try them out.. get a consensus from your study group and then move forward.

Oh, and Bristol? We tried it a few years ago, and I LOVED how lightweight it was. Unfortunately, we had threads coming out and it wasn't durable enough. We went with Morning Pride.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Forum Member

I use Globe Gx-7 with a personal escape harness, Cairns N5A and HAIX Fire Hunter leather boots.

Gone.

I have a set of black Globe GX-7 with the 3" NYC Yellow/Silver. I absolutely love it. It's light and breathes really well in high heat and the mobility is excellent, especially when crawling. My department issues Janesville if gear is provided through the department. Which is rare, since there is a lot of favoritism in my department, which leaves some of us who needed it without it and those who didn't need it or never show up for calls but are well-liked coming first to get it, so I opted to buy my own.
    Last edited by Hexxus; 01-16-2008 at 12:40 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

u need a kleenex to wipe up those tears?

time to put on the big boy pants.

Least you still get to wear fire helmets... not tupperware
    The Box. You opened it. We Came...

"You'll take my life but I'll take your's too. You'll fire musket but I'll run you through. So when your waiting for the next attack, you'll better understand there's no turn back."

Forum Member

I recently learned that you can build your own custom gear on FireDex's website. I thought that was pretty cool, but as of yet I don't know a whole lot about how good the gear holds up.

Forum Member

Just thought I would post an update:

Morning Pride salesman came last night, brought a set of gear.

The jacket happened to be my size, so I pulled out my G-Extreme to compare.

Weight wise, both jackets were pretty comparable, however when I put them on they felt completely different. The G-Extreme coat had a much looser fit. Cuffs and bottom hem tended to move more when I did reach tests.

Large department in our area just completed wear test and signed a contract with Morning Pride. They decided to go with 60/40 kevlar instead of PBI Matrix for the outer shell.

The salesman told us that we could jump onto the contract as well. We would be allowed to make minor option changes.

The Morning Pride would save us about $400 per set over the Globe Extreme, probably because of the change in outer shell (we think). Now we have to sit down and figure out if the cost savings is worth it.

We really did like the cut and fit of the Morning Pride. We are going to talk to the larger department and get their input on how durable the 60/40 kevlar/nomex outer shell was.

Thread Information