MembersZone Subscriber

Default Ventilation Saws

Our Department is looking at buying a new ventilation saw, but are trying to determine which one to go with. Does any one have any recomendations? Stilh vs. CuttersEdge?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by 902kans View Post
    Our Department is looking at buying a new ventilation saw, but are trying to determine which one to go with. Does any one have any recomendations? Stilh vs. CuttersEdge?

There have been a bunch of threads on this topic, so a search should yeild many results.

FTR, we bought the following STIHL saws (circular and chainsaw), because we had a full-service local dealer with a repair shop. They were also more cost effective, considering we only use them a few times a year.

http://www.stihl.ca/products_chainSaws_rescue.asp

http://www.stihl.ca/products_cutquiks.asp#

Cutters Edge, Partner, Ventmaster (Tempest), Unifire, others, etc., all make excellent equipment that will do the job. I would shop around and base your decision on:

1. Local Service & Quality Warranty
    2. Role and Suitability (i.e. do you want a mini roof saw, full featured vent/entry/rescue saw, wildland capable saw, etc)
    3. Cost (should usually be lower in the priority list, after all other items are considered)

Chainsaws tend to be the most use friendly, and they can be used for some limited wildland work to if you have the need. Circular saws are often the most versatile, and cover everything from ventilation, to forcible entry, to rescue, but there are definitely other considerations for multi-role saws. Namely, you need a high-power circ saw to turn the best vent and rescue blades. If it is for vent only, a small chain saw may still get the job done just fine.

IMHO, buy the most powerful saw that you can afford that still meets your needs/limitations for weight and size.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

Forum Member

We use the Tempest Ventmaster, great saw, the reason I like it better than the cutters edge is that the Raptor chain on the Ventmaster still cuts trees pretty well, the Bullit chain from cutters edge will not.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by KAPNKRNCH View Post
    We use the Tempest Ventmaster, great saw, the reason I like it better than the cutters edge is that the Raptor chain on the Ventmaster still cuts trees pretty well, the Bullit chain from cutters edge will not.
    How many chains have you gone through with your saw?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by 902kans View Post
    We use Partner saws for ventilation and they work quite well.

FTM-PTB

Forum Member

Just put the third one on since we have had the saw, the saw is about six years old, residential roofs have not done any damage to the blades it seems to all come from either motorhomes we have had to cut on or a few garage doors that have been breached.

MembersZone Subscriber

Just put the third one on since we have had the saw, the saw is about six years old, residential roofs have not done any damage to the blades it seems to all come from either motorhomes we have had to cut on or a few garage doors that have been breached.
    Thanks, how much roughly does a loop cost?

MembersZone Subscriber

we also use the ventmaster, but its a "roofs only" saw. thats what they tell us.
    everything else, we just used a smaller stihl
    Your a daisy if you do.

Forum Member

We bought them a while back for about 210.00 a piece.

Default Stihl MS 460 Rescue Chainsaw

We use this saw with the Stihl rescue chain (about $175) and it works just as good as the Bullet chain and the Rapter chain for ventilation holes. As for using your rescue chain for cutting trees, that's what utility chain is for. If your going to cut a tree you should have plenty of time to change out chains. If I saw one of my firefighters use the rescue chain to cut a tree when we have an extra utility chain on the Truck, I'd put my boot up his ***!

Thread Information