Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Pneumatic vs. Hydraulic Shoring

Hey there. Our department is looking at our trench rescue inventory and we have both older Air Shores and some newer Speed Shores. We are going to be updating and enlarging the inventory. Some of the members heard from a class that hydraulic shores (Speed Shore type) were not advised for rescue work. I am not trying to get into a shouthing match about who's brand is better. We just need to know if there is any legal basis or reason to this statement. Any help would be great.

Thanks

MembersZone Subscriber

You can still use lumber or screw jacks if you want leagally. That statement is because a hydraulic doesn't positivly lock, so if their is a leak the strut will open up.
    Hydraulic shores are used by contractors and public works employees more in one year then we (the fireservice) have ever used any shore. Air shores are my favorite simply because of a versitility standpoint. They can be used for trench, vehicle and machinery, and collapse. With the right attachments they can also function as a tripod. So financially they make sense. Hydraulics are nice because they can be placed at any level without entering the trench, which makes them ideal for setting up a safe area around a victim.
    I would maintain all of your shores but purchase more airshores (prospan, paratch, airshore, whatever)

Default Thanks

Thanks for the reply. That is what we are finding out as well. We have also been told not to use a hydraulic shore at a corner or intersecting point. Not sure why not, still working that one out. We plan to trade out our AirShores for new ones and add to the inventory with more. We won't be getting rid of anything right now. Thanks again.

Forum Member

I would be interested to know where you were given this information. I have never heard of this nor see why this would an issue when done correctly.
    Last edited by jmatthe2; 02-07-2008 at 11:57 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

I have used air shoring and it just holds what is there as they are filled with air and at the pressure these things are they are only 120psi. I am not sure on hydraulic shores. It would seem that hydraulics (fluid under pressure over area) would/could cause a lift.
    The evidence of God's presence far outweighs the
    proof of His absence.

Forum Member

We use speed shores exclusively. We leave the hoses attached and if one should bleed down, we pump it back up. Very rare problems. Usually just due to dirt and improper cleaning. Easily solved on scene. We get our shores and training from http://www.trench-rescue.com/index.html. Dana Buchholzer is the main guy. He goes all over the country and this is all he does.
    Jason Brooks
    IAFF Local 2388
    IACOJ

Thread Information