Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Rocking the Midwest

Unhappy Problems between the City and Fire Department

****** I am currently on a very small volunteer fire department.* We are surrounded by a large city on all sides, but the budget is cheaper to have the volunteers.* I joined back in October of 07.* We have 1 fire truck a 1980 Ford/Boardman* 5 speed 750 gpm.* Not a hard truck to drive, which I can drive I just can't pump yet.* This week I went with the fire chief to our city hall to get my key for the fire station, *because the cheif couldn't get copies made since the city won't let him* **** I was going to stay a few hours at our station, 2 days a week, between the hours I wasn't in school and my wife was at work *we would have been taking one vehicle to save on gas** When we got there the City Clerk ripped us apart because the firefighters are not allowed in the station unless its "OFFICIAL BUSINESS"** official business meaing "FIRES" not training or anything like that.* The clerk stated that the firefighters are not allowed to come and go "IN OUR STATION".* **** Now tell me is me not going to the station and studying our truck, and city, plus EMS and Fire so I can learn more, not official business.* Plus I would be at the station and wouldn't that help with response times.* The city clerk made me feel like I was worse than the lowest scum bag person on the planet.* And all I wanted to do was help.* Mind you the mayor stood there the entire time and said nothing.* **** Does anyone else see anything wrong with this?* I found out this is a common problem with the city.* The treat the fire department like crap and then when theres a call they bitch about us because they won't give us the rescources.* I believe we are going before the city council soon, is there any legal aspects that I can look up to help us out?

you have been on the department for 3 months.

there is probably a lot of history between the department and city that you are unaware of.

Let the chief deal with city hall, that's why he gets to wear the white hat.

and if you want to suggest change, speak to him, he might be able to explain why things are the way they are.
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

MembersZone Subscriber voyager9's Avatar

I would to agree, you're still new to the Department. Let the Chief handle the politics. In the mean time learn what it means to be a firefighter (and maybe a little about punctuation and new-lines)
    So you call this your free country
    Tell me why it costs so much to live
    -3dd

Rocking the Midwest

Default probs

Yeah I talked to the chief afterwards he said it's literally like that everyday. But I guess every department has it's problems.

If you want to hang out at the station on your own time, good for you, talk to the cheif. If he says that it is ok with him then that is all that matters. If the town clerk give you a hard time, then advised him that you work for the cheif and he said that it was OK. Like the others have stated, let your cheif handle city hall.
    Good Luck

Rocking the Midwest

Default station time

Sorry I must have forgot to put in my post, the chief was standing right with me when this happened, this had been approved 2 days before I went with the chief to get my key. It was when we got there that everything had seemingly changed. Sorry if it came across like i was complaining I am not by any means, just wanting to know if this happens at other volunteer departments.

Rocking the Midwest

Default p.s

sorry about the punctuation I don't know why it did that. that's the only post I have had do that and I'm not sure why it did that.

Don't worry about it. To answer your question as far as my Dept. is concerned, we have a good releationship with town hall. We are in the process of adding 4 more bays to our station, one for a Quint, and there is going to a lounge/game room so that the ff will have somewhere other than the meeting room to hang out. Our cheif and town hall encourages us to hang out at the station when we have time. This helps with response time and truck maintance/check offs.

On a side bar, if your cheif was with you when you got your *** chewed by the clerk, is it possable that they are pulling your leg? It tends to happen to the new guys alot. Just something to think about

Rocking the Midwest

Default chief

I actually walked outside while my chief was arguing with the City Clerk about it. My chief completely defended our department, he's a great chief. But I felt so stupid, because of wanting to be at the station, all this happened that I left to get some cigerattes. But I am taking into effect that I am new as well. So I do put that into effect, but my chief is and has been in full support of myself and others being at the station to help with response times. Although I might be missing something like someone said earlier. Any pointers from anyone to a newbie of about how to grow as a firefighter?

Listen to the vets, and follow their led, until you cut your teeth. Work hard, and do not shy away from the grunt jobs. Get your ff I and ff II as soon as you can,Pay your dues and you will be fine.

Rocking the Midwest

Smile Will do

I will do that. Thanks for the advice.

Forum Member

Thumbs up

We been dealing with a issues from the town clownsel for about 5 years and they stem from a chief 3 chiefs ago. It takes time to get past mistakes MADE BY past chief's.

My favorite quote "Why do we need a Fire Department, we dont have no fires"

This year my home owners insurance dropped from $800 a year to $385 for better coverage. "Thats why we have a Fire Department"

Keep your chin up do your job as best you can and kill them with KINDNESS. We ran 58 calls in 2007 on a $4500 budget.
    We have gained respect from surounding departments with our mutuial aid calls outside of town.

Pull the apparatus out of the station?

Ha, nah. Put your time in, figure out why and whats-up, do your best and a solution will present itself in due time. Meanwhile, study that truck every minute you can if you can't just go to the firehouse to do so.

It's unfortunate when administrative policies muck up efficiency in something they shouldn't even have their hand in.
    JLS
    MFC
    51 Pride - R.I.P. Sandy
    Alarm 200644004, I won't ever forget.

Remember you only have 1*.

IACOJ

Rocking the Midwest

Default FD stuff

I just want to thank everyone for their input it's been very helpful and very enlightening (sp?)

A budget of 4500 i don't feel so bad for us now. We don't get called for mutual aid and I wished we did because it would make us known, and increase the call volume.

Like all the other people have said let the Chief deal with it.

The fun thing for me is I'm a FF and on city council.

Quote Originally Posted by TWP1980 View Post
    I just want to thank everyone for their input it's been very helpful and very enlightening (sp?)

A budget of 4500 i don't feel so bad for us now. We don't get called for mutual aid and I wished we did because it would make us known, and increase the call volume.
    Why don't you guys get called for mutual aid?

Bad history with area departments?

Training issues?
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

Rocking the Midwest

Default Mutual Aid

We don't mutual aid *at the moment this may change soon* because we are so small and surrounded by a huge city. The smaller municipalities stick together and we are the farthest out, we have only one truck so if we mutual aid with our 1 truck to the closest small city 3-4 miles away, then we have no coverage at all. Plus with the issues we have with the CITY at the moment keeps us close to boundries. This may change soon, we are getting ready to go through some changes and there is talk of 3 small communites including ours, joining to become a district.
    If I am in the area and there is a call I will mutual aid POV if necessary, and we as a department don't run EMS calls, but We will go POV if called or if it is in the district. Many of us are EMT's or are in school for EMT.
    But I hope that answers your question.
    Last edited by TWP1980; 01-18-2008 at 10:40 PM. Reason: updating

We don't have any problem with the Town Clerk's Office here. I'm just begining my 40th year on our Vollie Department and 32nd year as Town Clerk-Treasurer.

Rocking the Midwest

Default probs and stuff

I'm not worried about it anymore the horse is dead. I know alot of departments that have problems between the city and the department and many that don't. It's getting dealt with and it will all be better.

We're lucky that we're a fire protection district and not governed in any way by the city/village. It's a nice deal...
    "I don't wanna hear about it... I wanna see results!!!":-P

Thread Information