Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Federal Firefighter Work Schedules

Has anyone heard of a work schedule that goes like this? Work 48 Off 48 Work 48 Off 48 Work 48 Off 96. If so does anyone know what fire departments out there use this schedule? We are looking to change our current schedule and are looking at our opitions. We have considered the 48/72 schedule as well. If anyone has any suggestions please feel free ot reply.

Thank You

Forum Member

I believe China Lake works the 2 on 2 off 2 on 4 off schedule. I use to work the 48/72 schedule in Dublin, CA. I really liked it. You have to remember there is one time each pay period where you only get 2 days off. Working 3 days in a row is a bit much and the 1 on 1 off thing is tough cuz when your off, all you think about is having to go back to work the next day.

Kev

Forum Member

Check with Ft. Lewis they work a schedule something like what you are talking about.

Forum Member

I believe San Francisco Presidio Fire Department works 2/3, 2/3, 2/2 schedule.
    We work a 72/96 schedule (Calfire schedule). Just have to make sure you get 144 hours in a pay period. Also have enough staffing to run the different schedules.

We don't have enough to cover the 48/72 schedule w/o hiring more. We are also unique because we have Volunteer FF to back fill the paid staff (combo federal department).
    Last edited by engineer2000; 01-28-2008 at 02:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by engineer2000 View Post
    I believe San Francisco Presidio Fire Department works 2/3, 2/3, 2/2 schedule.
    We work a 72/96 schedule. Just have to make sure you get 144 hours in a pay period. Also have enough staffing to run the different schedules.

We don't have enough to cover the 48/96 schedule w/o hiring more. We are also unique because we have Volunteer FF to back fill the paid staff (combo federal department).
    Combo Federal Fire Dept????? Esplain, Lucy!
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    Combo Federal Fire Dept????? Esplain, Lucy!
    Well, Ricky,

We keep around 15 Volunteer Firefighters on the department who live on base. Just like any other Volunteer FF's. They are issued pagers (and gear of course) and when we get toned out. They come up to the fire station and ride 3rd or 4th on the engine or second ff on the tender w/ a paid Engineer. Have to be EMT to ride the squad. Some get that on thier own since there is a National Registry School here.

We train them to California FF1, Hazmat Ops, Red Card S-130/190 and advanced first aid CPR/AED. I may be missing a training cert off the top of my head. We do have the option for the IFSAC certs. A lot of them work on that since they are out of state and most do become Firefighters when they get out full time (we had a couple get pick'ed up in San Francisco Fire Department). They have training once a week and have to pull two shifts per month. Real good experience for them. From structure fires to Strike Teams up and down California. And everything else (EMS, T/C, Hazmat, Alarms, etc...)

The IAFF was surprised we have such a thing when they visited us on the 16th District visit rounds out here in the west few years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by engineer2000 View Post
    Well, Ricky,

We keep around 15 Volunteer Firefighters on the department who live on base. Just like any other Volunteer FF's. They are issued pagers (and gear of course) and when we get toned out. They come up to the fire station and ride 3rd or 4th on the engine or second ff on the tender w/ a paid Engineer. Have to be EMT to ride the squad. Some get that on thier own since there is a National Registry School here.

We train them to California FF1, Hazmat Ops, Red Card S-130/190 and advanced first aid CPR/AED. I may be missing a training cert off the top of my head. We do have the option for the IFSAC certs. A lot of them work on that since they are out of state and most do become Firefighters when they get out full time (we had a couple get pick'ed up in San Francisco Fire Department). They have training once a week and have to pull two shifts per month. Real good experience for them. From structure fires to Strike Teams up and down California. And everything else (EMS, T/C, Hazmat, Alarms, etc...)

The IAFF was surprised we have such a thing when they visited us on the 16th District visit rounds out here in the west few years ago.

Were you guys IAFF that they were visting you, or were they at your facility in some other capacity? And they didnt try to shut down the program? I know my old local wouldnt stand for a program like that at all. Not flaming, just curious.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    Were you guys IAFF that they were visting you, or were they at your facility in some other capacity? And they didnt try to shut down the program? I know my old local wouldnt stand for a program like that at all. Not flaming, just curious.
    No offense taking. My department has been doing this for a long time. Before we became an IAFF Local. Never came up to shut down the program. If we did, just like any other fire departments that run volunteers. We would not get the fully paid staffed. We would be hurting the public who we serve. Not just the base, but the southern portion of our county that includes three small towns.

Yes, we were IAFF when they visited. When Nick was the district president (rest his sole). They were doing thier tour of visits w/ all the locals (most).

Like I said they were surprised because they never saw/heard of Volunteer FF's in federal departments (could be some more out there. I don't know).

Forum Member

Engineer2000,

What federal base do you work for?

K

Default Hey

JWCasey00... do you work at MOTSU? Shoot me a message and let me know.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default New Schedule

Our city is wanting to change our schedule to PREVENT us from obtaining more than 4 hours of OT in 28 day cycle. Can anyone please tell me just how we can do this. Our city is messed up to say the least. They will not change the cycle to 27 days for the pay as this would cause them to set up 2 different payroll dates....

Forum Member

Try this, I think its from San Diego:
    Attached Images Attached Images

MembersZone Subscriber

How about 24/48?, or to be really progressive 48/96, and while we're here how come so few people in the fed service even mention the fact that we work damn near twice the hours of the rest of the fire service????? I love my job but "absence makes the heart grow fonder"

Forum Member

The 24/48 or equivalant was taken up years ago when we received a promise from the candidate Carter that IF we backed him for election and he was elected and we got a bill on his desk he would sign it. We did it all that and he vetoed the bill because it would cost too much money.
    With the state of budgets today, we are fighting just to keep minimum manning and other important items in force. I don't know how the others services are, but in the Navy Fire Protection, almost any downgrading seems to be OK if the powers to be accept the risk.
    At least the pay is good.

MembersZone Subscriber

I've read about the Carter travesty, ( I was a bit young to participate ) but that was damn near 30 years ago. I think maybe it's time to give it another try. I've been thinking of ways to implement some positive change in our service. The most recent plan I've devised ( sounds kinda "Dr. Evil" eh ?) is since we are closing/consolidating so many bases and facillities, why not take some of the otherwise displaced fire personnell, move them to a facillity that is absorbing closed bases, and integrate them as the third shift? ( it doesen't even have to be a "3rd" shift, just drop the hours from 72 to 48, or 53, or 56 whatever) The Government still saves some money, the bases that now have greater fire protection needs get increased staffing, and some guys who otherwise were out on the street still have jobs. I know how easy it is to solve the departments/worlds problems around the kitchen table, how do I get the right people to drop in for some coffee?

Forum Member

Suggest getting in contact with IAFF 16th District Vice President Jim Johnson for direction as the International would probably be the lead on this.

Forum Member

I understand the reasoning for some places wanting to switch schedules. But I also feel the best judge for this is the people as the FD where you work. Involve the entire department! My dream schedule might not work at your place and your dream schedule might not work at mine. There has been talk at our FD about switching schedules. Why? To accommodate one or two firemen whose other "hobbies" are interrupted by work. Those trying to push it through are starting to divide the department. They knew the shift schedule when they were hired, don't like it, work somewhere else.

My point...do what is best for YOUR department and involve the ENTIRE department in the discussion and the decision.

MembersZone Subscriber

I really don't see many people wanting to change because of their "hobbies". Most people I have talked with in the fed service want to change because it is a pretty rough schedule, and its about 20 years behind the rest of the country. I don't know what your schedule is but " day on, day off, repeat as needed" is pretty harsh. I believe that any of the 48/48, 48/72 schedules would be an improvement allowing much more time spent with ones hobbies, ( oops, I meant Family) I also believe that these are band aid fixes, to be applied untill we figure out how to get off a 72 hour a week schedule.

Forum Member

Default schedules

By working 2 on 2 off 2on 96 off schedule wouldn't you be working for at least two different supervisors? and there wouldn't be A shift B shift right?

Forum Member

3rd platoon

Thread Information