Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default New to the Firemans career/dream

I am thinking about becoming a fireman, and I was just wanting a little input from the guys and gals that do it everyday. Things I would like to know are: (1) is this a good choice in employment? I mean it's always been a dream of mine but, that doesn't mean its a good choice. (2) What do I really need to do to become elgible for employment? I see a lot of online courses but do they acctually provide sufficiant certifications for elgibilty of employment. (3) I was told by a friend that you get paid through your training around $500.00 per week. (4) I understand that the work you do is very rewarding in the aspect of helping others but, financially is it worth it? As much as I would like to help others I could'nt make my family suffer financially for my dream. (5) what are the requirments for being elgible for hire? Any feedback is greatly appreciated and God Bless you all that risk your lives to help us live ours.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by oilfieldqctech View Post
    I am thinking about becoming a fireman, and I was just wanting a little input from the guys and gals that do it everyday. Things I would like to know are: (1) is this a good choice in employment? I mean it's always been a dream of mine but, that doesn't mean its a good choice. (2) What do I really need to do to become elgible for employment? I see a lot of online courses but do they acctually provide sufficiant certifications for elgibilty of employment. (3) I was told by a friend that you get paid through your training around $500.00 per week. (4) I understand that the work you do is very rewarding in the aspect of helping others but, financially is it worth it? As much as I would like to help others I could'nt make my family suffer financially for my dream. (5) what are the requirments for being elgible for hire? Any feedback is greatly appreciated and God Bless you all that risk your lives to help us live ours.
    If your worried about the money and such why not try to find a Vollunteer Department in your area and join there and see if Firefighting is truely for you after that locate a larger city in your area and call and get the information on employment from them. Everything differs from area to area.
    Hope this helped

It all depends on your area?

How old are you?

Do you want to make firefighting a career?

If you are under 21, have you heard of the explorer or junior program?

Have you checked with any of your local fire departments?
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

Before you make a final career choice, you should do a VFD. I joined the one i am at 3 months ago, so i am realitively new. It is a lot of fun and I have learned a whole lot in those three months. As far as financial goes, I personaly could care less, I love what I do, but i think we are under paid for what we do for people. So try to find a good VFD and see how much you like it. Good luck!!

Let's talk fire trucks! BoxAlarm187's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oilfieldqctech View Post
    (1) is this a good choice in employment?
    Best damn job in the world. 'Nuff said.
    (2) What do I really need to do to become elgible for employment?
    Depends on your area. At work, we hire as many people with training as we do without. As a recruit school instructor, I saw people come through the academy that could only correctly identify a fire engine 3 out of 5 times on their first day.
    I see a lot of online courses but do they acctually provide sufficiant certifications for elgibilty of employment.
    See above statement.
    (3) I was told by a friend that you get paid through your training around $500.00 per week.
    For the most part in Virginia, you get paid your regular salary while your in training, but it varies depending on the department.
    (4) I understand that the work you do is very rewarding in the aspect of helping others but, financially is it worth it? As much as I would like to help others I could'nt make my family suffer financially for my dream.
    Great question. I'm lucky enough to have a job where I look forward to going in every morning. How many patent lawyers can say that? You will NOT get rich doing this, and you have to live within your means. You also have to weigh your wants against your family's needs. My Asst Chief at my VFD wants to get on with a career department somewhere, but can't take the $40k pay cut from his current position in the cellular phone industry. Choices.
    (5) what are the requirments for being elgible for hire?
    Again, depends on state, area, and department.

As the others have said, you may want to try to volunteer with your local department to see how the fire service works for you and your life.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

1- As far as a good choice, I think it's the best choice. Very gratifying, exciting, good time off, and good benefits in most places.
    2- To become eligible, it depends on where you want to work. Most smaller to mid-size depts want you to be FF1/FF2 and EMT-B certified before applying. Large depts don't require this, and will send you to their own Academy. Odds are much tougher to get on, though. To earn FF1/FF2 and EMT most places have a basic firefighter academy through a local community college.
    3- You only get paid for training if you work for one of the large depts mentioned above. Otherwise, you pay for it.
    4- Financially, there's plenty of time off for a second job. I don't have a family, so I can't speak for the ways to make ends meet for a family. Something tells me you are in a decently paying job, and this is your main sticking point...
    5- As far as what's needed for hire, it depends. Most places you first take a written test, then a physical test, then an oral board, a physical and background investigation. Some do psychological tests now, too. In addition to that, I'd recommend that you be willing to work hard, and may have to take some time off to attend an Academy on your own time/dollar.
    Probationary Firefighter

FF/EMT-B
    Paramedic in training..

Quote Originally Posted by tnff320 View Post
    Before you make a final career choice, you should do a VFD. I joined the one i am at 3 months ago, so i am realitively new. It is a lot of fun and I have learned a whole lot in those three months. As far as financial goes, I personaly could care less, I love what I do, but i think we are under paid for what we do for people. So try to find a good VFD and see how much you like it. Good luck!!
    I plan to become a volunteer next year after I turn 18. I want to stay with that for about over 5 years maybe so I can prepare myself for a career.
    "The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up"-Steven Wright

Forum Member

Why wait five years? Just apply at the career departments you want to work for, and volunteer until you get hired. Waiting five years, will only make it that much longer and harder for you to get hired somewhere. Just go for it, and if it takes five years to get hired, it takes five years. If you get hired somewhere in six months, well, that just makes you even luckier to land a job that quickly.

Thread Information