Forum Member

Default New Smyrna Beach Hiring

New Smyrna Beach is currently going thru a hiring process, if you're a state certified medic your chances are extremely high. We work a typical 24-48. We have 4 stations, 3 man minimum manning, local 2271. Population is 25k, weekend and holidays it escalates to over 100k. We run 3 engine companies, 1 truck with mutual (automatic) aid responding. The room for advancement is great, over half the manpower have 25 years on and are either in the DROP or about to enter, most hold some sort of rank !!!!

Forum Member

Not sure if they're still using Volusia's FESS test for the hiring process, ( http://www.fessprogram.com/ ) but either way your best bet is to go down to the main station and meet the secretary and a few of the guys to get your name out. Also EMTs who want to go to medic school have a very good chance if they interview well.
    It's a great place to work! Nothing like running a call on the beach during spring break.

PS. Good pension plan too. 3% while only contributing 1%
    Last edited by imprezive; 01-17-2008 at 11:33 AM.

Forum Member

llllllllllllll
    Last edited by gigafire; 02-22-2008 at 04:38 PM.

Forum Member

I can't PM becuase I'm not a paid subscriber....If you want to put of your email, I'll email you.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by imprezive View Post
    I can't PM becuase I'm not a paid subscriber....If you want to put of your email, I'll email you.
    Hey I didn't realize that you had to be a paid subscriber, sorry. You can email me at firenrescue@bellsouth.net. I wanted to know if you have any idea when you guys are going to be hiring. I was also trying to look up the contract but i didn't have any luck with that. Do you guys have a step plan, kelly days, starting pay for FF/EMT? Stuff like that. I am definitely willing to go to Medic school. Was planning on that anyway. Thanks alot for any info/advice for bettering my chances! Oh yea, you mentioned visiting the main station. What station is that? Sorry so many questions bro! Again, thanks alot for the help! P.S.- good luck w/ OFD hiring process.

Forum Member

e53NSB thanks for the heads up on the hiring. I applied and now I have an interview at the end of this month. This will be my first interview and I was just wondering if you have any tips or pointers. That or any other information would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks again.

Forum Member

Thanks for the head up on the hiring!!!
    I have an interview at the end of this month with New Smyrna Beach. This is going to be my first interview ever; and tips or pointers will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Forum Member

(This is coming from past complaints)
    Suit, tie. Strong confident voice. Don't slouch in the chair or appear non-chalant. Don't lie, if you don't know a question, say you don't know.... unless you think you can pull off the lie really well. Don't be suprised if they ask a few basic questions about ICS or just basic Fire Standards type questions. Expect a question about sexual harrasment or "what if you saw your Lt stealing something" or "what's more important, training or experience?".... there isn't neccesarily a right answer to these questions, just give a logical, confident response. You'll be fine.

Forum Member

Justin, if you do everything they mentioned above you'll be fine, Do some extra homework, your goal should be to stand out more than the other candidates. Do some research on the population of the city, manning issues, number of stations, what is the first alarm assignment response for residential/commercial, special details that we run, who do we run mutual (automatic) aid with. Good luck, hope to see you riding backwards, because I'm probably getting the "new guy"..

Forum Member

Well I got my first interview under the belt. It felt like it went well. I think the military and all those GMT's I went to really paid off. Now I'll just keep my fingers crossed and hope they'll keep me in mind since I am not a paramedic yet......

Forum Member

Well, I haven't heard any names yet, but from what I understand we should be hiring 3 in late March/early April. This is all rumor stuff of course, but I figured you would want to hear that. I also know they usually give military service a lot of credit.

Thread Information