Forum Member

Default City of Norfolk Fire Department

Does anyone know if they are still hiring at all?

MembersZone Subscriber

no, they are always taking applications year round but their last writen test and all was in october and november, so they will have 2 academys this year and next test is in oct and nov 08... that is what they told me last week.. portsmouth and chesapeake should have theirs in april.

Forum Member

Thanks, I have sent emails and called numerous times and never got a response. Any idea of when the Chesapeake test will be in April? I am currently just checking the click website every couple of days.

MembersZone Subscriber

no not yet, i know they open application process 6 to 8 weeks before... www.vafirenews.com

http://www.vafirenews.com/employment/index.htm

http://vafire.com/jobs/fire_service.htm
    Last edited by amandaandtommy; 01-19-2008 at 10:01 PM.

Shawshank

Default Has anyone heard anything????

Has anyone heard from norfolk???? It's been 16 weeks now since the test, and not a word. When I was down in oct. for all the preliminaries I was told the first class was being put on in Feb. That was from their HR. I went through their hiring process in 05 and I don't remember it being this slow. Maybe I'm just too anxious to get my rear in that academy???

MembersZone Subscriber

Sixteen weeks with no appointment, I think you might want to retest.

Norfolk does continuously take applications with random written and physical exams. People who pass these are then placed on a list, just like in New York City. So while you may score out at the top of your testing group, your score is then placed onto the overall list from which hiring is conducted. Having not tested there, this is what their Academy staff described to me while speaking with them during EMT-B State testing at their academy.

Testing for Norfolk is very difficult. It is conducted very much like FDNY. A cadet had better be ready to answer with No Sir/Ma'am or Yes Sir/Ma'am. Your shoes had best be shined in the morning and when you leave class for the day. Prepare for the NFR Tidewater Regional Fire Academy like one would for the NYC Fire Academy. When you think you are in the best shape of our life, train harder. They routinely do combat runs in PT gear with SCBA in the area. I have passed recruits doing an Indian Run with SCBA on Tidewater Drive routinely.

The major difference being that Norfolk Fire Rescue, all personnel are trained to an ALS provider level. While the pay and some benefits are better in places like Virginia Beach, the rougher neighborhoods of Norfolk lend to greater fire duty and increased chances to use ALS skills.
    Last edited by DocVBFDE14; 02-18-2008 at 04:53 PM. Reason: spelling
    Co 11
    Virginia Beach FD

Amateurs practice until they get it right; professionals practice until they cannot get it wrong. Which one are you?

'The fire went out and nobody got hurt' is a poor excuse for a fireground critique.

Shawshank

Default Scores???

Doc, Scores and list numbers are still sent out right???? I haven't even recieved those as of yet. I have made two calls to the city office with no answer and no return call. This just seems odd to me. My nyc score and list number was recieved in 10-12 weeks, and they test 30 times the amount of people Norfolk does.
    Don't be a know it all! Be a know a lot!

MembersZone Subscriber

My friend and his brother already got their numbers. they should be in the next class together after this one..

Shawshank

Default There is a current class???

There is a current class going on??? Wow, I don't even have a list number back yet. Something about Norfolk's hiring process is completely bass ackwards.
    Don't be a know it all! Be a know a lot!

Forum Member

What paperwork needs to be submitted when you apply?

MembersZone Subscriber

Norfolk is having I know 2 classes this year and possibly a 3rd..

Chesapeake had alot in the class that just graduated.. They had over 40 some graduate last month. They started with 65.

Thread Information