Forum Member

Default Looking for career positions in La.

I am currently a FF/Paramedic in Texas and am contemplating a move to southern La.

I am trying to find departments in La. that are combination Fire/ EMS but am not having much luck. Only jobs I can find there are Fire or EMS. And they only pay 25,000 !!!

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks, Green

MembersZone Subscriber

25k is the high end. NOFD starts at 19.9k. My advise STAY IN TEXAS.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

St. George Fire Department (southern outskirts of Baton Rouge) would be a good place to look. They're experiencing a lot of growth and I understand they have pretty good salaries compared to most of the state. New stations and equipment for the most part, and always expanding as Baton Rouge spills over more and more into the unincorporated areas.

Or, moving further east along I-10, you might try Prairieville or Gonzales and that area. They're small combo departments with limited paid staff, but they are also in a growing area (lots of Baton Rouge folks moving out of the city and out to the country) so I expect to see them get a lot bigger in the near future, especially Prairieville.

However, I don't think any of these are true fire/EMS departments. St. George's ambulance service is Baton Rouge EMS, which covers all of East Baton Rouge parish (independent of the fire department), and the rural areas outside of East Baton Rouge parish are all served by Acadian Ambulance. Can't think of any fire departments around here that do EMS transport.
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream and I hope you don't find this too crazy is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

MembersZone Subscriber

Visit www.sgpfa.org and shoot me an email. Yes we are hiring like mad (st george) and I can fill you in on what you ned to know.

stay safe

JJ
    Shut the nozzle stupid, thats' smoke not fire!

Forum Member

St. Tammany Parish Fire District No.4 in Mandeville is Fire/EMS with an ALS Ambulance Service. Starting salary for Firefighter is roughly $30,000 a year. We have a paramedic incentive of $500 a month. After your first year, with state pay you could be making $40,000 plus. one of our big benifits is that the department pays health insurance costs for entire family. I have a guy on my crew that left DFD (Dallas) left year. If interested send me an e-mail: fd4civilservice@yahoo.com for more info.

Jason K.

B Shifter

Quote Originally Posted by Slug fd4 View Post
    I have a guy on my crew that left DFD (Dallas) left year. If interested send me an e-mail: fd4civilservice@yahoo.com for more info.

Jason K.
    And now only one (1) remains to hold the fort down in Texas!

Ronnie
    Last edited by rjtoc2; 02-11-2008 at 11:22 PM.
    rjtoc2

career Fire Captain
    IAFF member
    Native Texan (by way of New Orleans)

***The above post (s) is/are MY opinion and do/does not necessarily reflect the views, positions, or opinions of neither my employer nor my IAFF Local.***

Admit nothing, deny everything, demand proof, and make counter accusations.

A lack of planning on your behalf does NOT create an emergency on my behalf.

When all is said and done, alot more is said than done

B Shifter

Default Louisiana fire departments

St. Tammany Parish Fire Protection District No. 4 (Mandeville) does ALS EMS in Southeast Louisiana. There are only a handful of FDs that are in the transport business statewide. Shreveport, Ruston, Mandeville, Lacombe, and Pearl River provide either BLS or ALS transport.

Pay-wise, with a few exceptions, the money to be earned as a Firefighter in Louisiana borders on the poverty level. Mandeville, East Bank Consolidated Fire District, and St. George pay well but they are the exceptions.

Most of the FDs in Louisiana are state civil service. Promotions are by seniority order only. As long as you pass the written, whether its a 70 or a 100, the successful candidates are listed with most senior first down to least senior last. That is definately something to ponder if you are considering a career change.

I grew up in Mandeville. I was a volunteer firefighter from 1985 until 1992. I was hired there in 1992 and worked there until 2000 when I left to pursue a fire service career in Texas.
    rjtoc2

career Fire Captain
    IAFF member
    Native Texan (by way of New Orleans)

***The above post (s) is/are MY opinion and do/does not necessarily reflect the views, positions, or opinions of neither my employer nor my IAFF Local.***

Admit nothing, deny everything, demand proof, and make counter accusations.

A lack of planning on your behalf does NOT create an emergency on my behalf.

When all is said and done, alot more is said than done

Thread Information