Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Show us your hydrant bags

I am putting to gether new hydrant bag set up for our three trucks, and am looking to see what others have done. Please share what you put together and carried, pics would be great.

thanks

MembersZone Subscriber

Our engine hydrant bag has the following: 2.5" gate, Steamer connection, Hydrant wrench, Rubber mallet, Hose strap, (2) 2.5 double female, (2) 2.5 double male, 2.5 cap, Spanner wrenches... We have special adapters for hydrants/hose connections within other districts that we keep inside the truck.

We also have spare spanners and hydrant wrench on the back side of the truck as "backups"

Sorry, no pics today -

Damn. I can't find it to take a picture. Oh wait, we would need to have hydrants to have a hydrant bag. I can offer you a picture of hard suction and a floating strainer if you'd like
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

All you really need is a hydrant wrench attached by a leather strap to the LDH and hydrant coupling. Once you have wrapped the hydrant and the engine or what ever is laying out the supply line has went on, unwrapped the hudrant, remove the steamer outlet cap and affixed the hydrant connection to the steamer outlet and wait for orders to charge the line.

What else would you need? You use muscle to make the connection and never a mallett or spanner.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

MembersZone Subscriber

Ours are like bowling ball bag looking things.

Inside are spanners, hydrant wrench, 2.5" gate valve, gaskets, flashlight, and some other adapters.

two 2 1/2 gated connections, hydrant wrench, a 5 inch to 4 inch stortz. and in the winter time we hook a small snow shovel to it. all in a milk crate.
    Hello. Fire dept.. You light'em, We fight'em!

"hard working, gear jamming, nail driving, "jake". "

IACOJ
    4-16-2010 "On the approach"

MembersZone Subscriber

We keep our hydrant kits in a tool bag. Inside is a hydrant wrench, two spanners, pipe wrench, two 2 1/2" gate valves and a Storz adapter.

We discovered a pipe wrench was a good thing to have for older hydrants that may have a four sided nut on top instead of a five sided and for older hydrants where the nut may be somewhat rounded off and generally screwed up.

Savage / Hyneman 08'

Sorry, no pics here just yet. We are having our hydrant bags for our tankers made in the near future, as no one makes the size bag we need. I'll explain.

In our engines, the only things in the bags are the 4 1/2 to 5" storz, a 2 1/2 gate valve w/ a 2 1/2 to 5" storz adapter attached ( around here, 5" is the supply hose standard ) and a hydrant wrench that also doubles as a spanner to tighten the adapters to the hydrants. Nothing special, you can use almost any bag.

For tanker ( tender ) filling, add a 5" hydrant valve to the bag for faster on / off when filling, and a 4" storz to 5" storz adapter, as we do have some neighbors that still run 4" instead of 5". This makes for a big bag.

Forum Member

We had a bag made for ours, and it looks like a little hi-rise pack bag, only about 1/4 the size (about the length of the hydrant wrench, and sized proportionately from there). Inside:

(1) 4 1/2" steamer thread X 5" Storz adapter
    (1) 4" Storz X 5" Storz reducer
    (1) 2 1/2" threaded ball valve
    (1) set of standard spanners
    (1) set of LDH spanners
    (1) hydrant wrench

Other than some companies using 5" LDH and others using 4" LDH, everything else in the area is standardized, so we don't need additional adapters. If we needed them, they'd be in there.

Forum Member

I made one for the quint that I was on out of craftmans tool bag...

Inside it.

Hydrant wrench
    2 spanners
    2.5" to 5" storz (For the few hydrants with only 2.5" and for when the steamer connection is stuck)
    2.5" cap (For those hydrants missing caps)

We keep the 5" storz to 4.5" connection on the hose...

Jason

We used to carry a 2 1/2" siamese, 2 1/2" gate, hydrant wrench and a hose spanner.

Now, thanks to LDH, we carry a combination hose spanner/hydrant wrench. That's it!
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

MembersZone Subscriber

We also include a portable radio in our hydrant bags.

Forum Member

the engine company i belong to, we dont have a hydrant bag. all we need is a hydrant wrench, a radio, and some muscle.

Heres what ours looks like but it has a large hook on the rope with a keeper on it.

In it we have a 2 1/2" gate, hydrant wrench, a couple of spanners and a rubber mallet. We got them from the local utility company.
    Shawn M. Cecula
    Firefighter
    IACOJ Division of Fire and EMS

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    All you really need is a hydrant wrench attached by a leather strap to the LDH and hydrant coupling. Once you have wrapped the hydrant and the engine or what ever is laying out the supply line has went on, unwrapped the hudrant, remove the steamer outlet cap and affixed the hydrant connection to the steamer outlet and wait for orders to charge the line.

What else would you need? You use muscle to make the connection and never a mallett or spanner.
    Similar to the Capt,we'd have the 2.5" gate valve,a threaded Storz coupling and a hydrant wrench in a black nylon tool bag strapped to the LDH.We'd loop it far enough that the hydrant guy could throw it around the hydrant and have it anchored as the rig ran down the street.

We use a military surplus bag. I'm not sure if it is the "awol" bag or some kind of tool bag but they work great for us. We carry a 2.5" gate, 2-combo spanners, hydrant wrench and 4" Storz to 4.875" NST. They have held up for years.

We use a mason's bag, like this:

http://www.hectorshardware.biz/shop/...01&sku=375349&

Let's see, we have in ours:

-A large steamer valve (which also adapts from the steamer on the hydrant to 5" Storz)

-A 2-1/2" valve

-two different hydrant wrenches, so we can use any of the three different styles of hydrants we may encounter in our first due areas (three water systems, and of course, none of them are the same)

-a cheater bar to slide over the hydrant wrench if necessary

-spanners

I'm probably forgetting something
    "Share your knowledge - it's a way to achieve immortality." - Stolen from Chase Sargent's Buddy to Boss program

Our bags have:

1 - Hydrant Wrench
    2 - Spanners
    1 - 4 1/2" x 5" storz adapter
    1 - 2 1/2" x 5" storz adapter (some of our plugs don't have steamers )
    1 - thread adapter for the nieghbors plugs (since they have different threads)

These are kept hanging on the tailboard in a canvas horse bucket which is clipped to the truck with a caribiner.
    Firefighter/NREMT-P/Public Safety Diver
    May we ride into the darkness only to return as safe as we started!!

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post

You need wrenches to tighten loose connections, possibly even after they have been charged. Ever heard of freezing climates? Always put gates on all 2 1/2" openings. Some of our high district areas have storz connections on the steamer portion of the hydrant. You'll need an adapter for that. What if you can't hit the steamer do to some type of complication with the cap? Now you need an adapter to get water from the 2 1/2.

I guess I could go on forever. All I could recommend is to think outside of the box and think of other complications and applications other cities use. Stating all you need is a hydrant wrench is ludicrous, and reckless. With all due respect Captain Old Timer our probies know better than that.

Forum Member

2 1/2 Gate valve
    4in threaded to 4in storz adapter (for steamer port)
    2 spanners
    1 hydrant wrench

plus we have a bunch more stuff on the engine because we do alot of mutual aid, what we have in this bag doesn't work in all of our mutual aid areas (3 different sized steamer ports)

Thread Information