Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Smile Statistics as of Round 24

Congrats to all of the winners this week.

As of Round 24
    4131 awards......$366,135,893

Breakdown:

OPS: 3501 awards......$244,764,00
    VEH: 630 awards......$121,371,893

Funds Remaining:

OPS: $110,786,000 (31%)
    VEH: $15,378,107 (11%)

Average Award:

OPS: $69,913
    VEH: $192,654

Estimated Awards Remaining:

OPS: 1585
    VEH: 80

Average Awards/Round:

Estimated Rounds Remaining:

I'm just gonna make a guess, and say we have about 7 or 8 rounds to go, with less than 1,000 awards remaining (before supplementals go out.) Just wait til those big Regionals screw up all your stats

Seriously, just a guess after looking at the Excel sheet of awards.

Forum Member

Question non-affiliated EMS…

2% or $10.94 million going to
    non-affiliated EMS…

Award Totals: R24

Departments: 177
    Federal Funds: $10,735,974.00

#1 State: Pennsylvania 27

EMS Vehicles: 28
    Vehicle Funds: $3,408,998.00

EMS Operations & Safety: 149
    O & S Funds: $7,326,976.00

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by SLY4420 View Post
    I'm just gonna make a guess, and say we have about 7 or 8 rounds to go, with less than 1,000 awards remaining (before supplementals go out.) Just wait til those big Regionals screw up all your stats

Seriously, just a guess after looking at the Excel sheet of awards.
    I'll agree with you on that Sly. Even though there have been some million $ awards for equipment, I would suspect there are still some large regionals to go.

The other factor, which may not be one at all, is with the SCBA situation. How much $$$ have been set aside for those that may apply for amendments to increase their award amount above the $5,000 level?

Has anyone applied for the increase or did everyone accept the limit?

Forum Member

Default Wellness and Fitness

Just a little more nerdy-ness. We wrote for Wellness and Fitness this past AFG, and we got our DJ December 12th. Had a little time at work tonight to do a little research into just how much the feds really care about our personal well being (and I am not being bitter as to our own DJ here) and found some interesting unoficial statistics.

24 Rounds
    $366,135,893 in grant money awarded total to:
    4,131 Grant recipients
    56 Grants for Wellness and Fitness Ranging from $542,433 WF grant to Wichita KS (highest) to $4125 to Lebanon ME (lowest award).
    $3,110,993 total grant money to Wellness and Fitness (less than 1% of total grants .85% to be close enough).
    Ohio and Texas recieving 5 W & F grants (must be more out of shape than the rest of the country).
    Rounds 6,8,9,11,15, and 16 awarded no W&F grants.
    Average grant awarded (minus the $542,433 wopper in KS) $46,701 (with the wopper $55,553 average per grant)

Thats all I can come up with now. Hope this generates some interest!!!!!

2007 LODD=115 60 due to stress/heart attack or unkown (but i only added the ones that sounded like HA) 52% Due to health issues.
    Last edited by Culpster; 01-22-2008 at 05:27 AM.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Since the fire service designs the scoring metrics, the feds don't have anything to do with it. Health starts at home in the head of the individual if they want to make a physical change. Once that major hurdle is over we can help out there by making it easier to stay that way. But with the program's goal of equipping FDs to put out fire, that's not going to be so high compared to gear, SCBA and some other items. Doesn't mean it can't get funded. There are so few apps in this category compared to the rest, so not surprised there are so few awards.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BC79er View Post
    Since the fire service designs the scoring metrics, the feds don't have anything to do with it. Health starts at home in the head of the individual if they want to make a physical change. Once that major hurdle is over we can help out there by making it easier to stay that way. But with the program's goal of equipping FDs to put out fire, that's not going to be so high compared to gear, SCBA and some other items. Doesn't mean it can't get funded. There are so few apps in this category compared to the rest, so not surprised there are so few awards.
    Well I believe the feds can do more. IE, they can allot a little more $$$$ like they do for the other aspects of the grant (IE W&F). Now I am not saying that in many cases departments could be utilizing federal funding for gear, or a firetruck, but this is just as an important factor. As for a self being... On the other hand; why arent many of these departments getting more support from their communitees for, say like, PPE.

The LODD dont lie... The issue of stress related deaths have been a major aspect of LODD for decades. This is just as an important aspect as PPE. If the FF isnt healthy to be in the fire... He/She shouldnt be in than fancy new bunker gear.

Personal health is #1, but many need that assistance too. (Again, I am standing on the soapbox to hopefully broaden our awareness of a major problem in every one of our lives in the most dangerous aspect of FF)
    Last edited by Culpster; 01-23-2008 at 01:44 AM.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Not disagreeing in the least, people need to be fit in order to do this. But even that isn't a widespread sentiment since 'fit' has a different meaning to everyone.

The support from the community statement is how we got this grant program (and many others) in the first place. People have different priorities, such as jobs, schools, water & sewer, and of course we play a distant second fiddle to law enforcement. No one thinks they'll need the FD and then when they do we aren't there quick enough, with enough stuff.

Other than physicals, there is no expense to W&F. Eat right, exercise. Walk a little, run some, push-ups, sit-ups, etc. Doesn't require a gym to make that happen. I'm overweight, got a good 20-25 to lose to get back to my college gym-rat weight. Still won't be in that same shape, that will require more work. But it is about choices: bypassing fast food, getting out and doing things instead of sitting around with video games or TV. Every little bit makes a difference.

Fitness is also so dynamic that it doesn't matter what we do sometimes. DNA drives everything, some are predisposed to cardiac issues because of family history (me), others cancer runs in the lines. Can we reduce the risks, sure can. But that starts with one individual wanting to make a difference and that idea spreading to everyone else in their department. Without that widespread support, first-steps taken locally, and obvious communication of both of those in any grant app, you're not going to break into the AFG for W&F money, or any project for that matter.

Out of all the projects that is one of the toughest to get funded. Not the lowest priority, there are lower ones, but it requires 3 parts and overwhelming evidence that none can be done locally. Remember the average person doesn't think they're out of shape or can't do a job because of their condition. The human ego is a powerful force, and it really comes down to people thinking that it will never happen to them. We have a long way to go to convince ourselves this is an issue.

Believe me, I agree it's an issue and we need to do something. But like any grant project, it starts at home first. WIth the AFG purpose being to equip people for the fireground, and the fact that heart attacks can happen anywhere not just on the fireground, PPE, SCBA, and the other goodies are more directly responsible for personal safety at that juncture in time than personal health. Health is 24/7 so that should be a greater personal priority to responders knowing it can happen anywhere whether we're at a call, on the throne, shopping or watching TV. At some point we all have to be responsible for ourselves, despite Hillary saying the village should be raising us and our children...

Forum Member

I'm overweight, got a good 20-25 to lose to get back to my college gym-rat weight. Still won't be in that same shape, that will require more work. But it is about choices: bypassing fast food, getting out and doing things instead of sitting around with video games or TV. Every little bit makes a difference.
    I saw a commercial back a month or so ago. It had Peyton Manning on it and basically said:

If you are over the age of 23 and not in the NFL, forget the diet, just buy bigger shirts!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Other than physicals, there is no expense to W&F. Eat right, exercise. Walk a little, run some, push-ups, sit-ups, etc. Doesn't require a gym to make that happen. I'm overweight, got a good 20-25 to lose to get back to my college gym-rat weight. Still won't be in that same shape, that will require more work. But it is about choices: bypassing fast food, getting out and doing things instead of sitting around with video games or TV. Every little bit makes a difference.

Fitness is also so dynamic that it doesn't matter what we do sometimes. DNA drives everything, some are predisposed to cardiac issues because of family history (me), others cancer runs in the lines. Can we reduce the risks, sure can. But that starts with one individual wanting to make a difference and that idea spreading to everyone else in their department. Without that widespread support, first-steps taken locally, and obvious communication of both of those in any grant app, you're not going to break into the AFG for W&F money, or any project for that matter.

Health is 24/7 so that should be a greater personal priority to responders knowing it can happen anywhere whether we're at a call, on the throne, shopping or watching TV. At some point we all have to be responsible for ourselves, despite Hillary saying the village should be raising us and our children...
    I snipped a lot from Brian's post, but these if these parts were put into practice by the general public, we'd not only reduce CVA risk to first responders, we'd take major steps in solving our "healthcare crisis". Not to mention the likelihood of our (medical) call volumes dropping like a rock!!

earl (down 60 in the past 2 years, thanks to awareness)

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Funny about that commercial Kelly. I saw that one too. Actually the one after it was all of the former NFL stars pitching Nutrisystem, which made it even funnier.

Forum Member

Funny about that commercial Kelly. I saw that one too. Actually the one after it was all of the former NFL stars pitching Nutrisystem, which made it even funnier.
    I did not have a chance to see that one Brian. My TV time isnt until around 10pm after the kids are in bed. I can tell you everything you need to know about Hannah Montana and SpongeBob though. LOL!!!

Kelly

FH Mag/.com Contributor

I have it on all the time in the hotels at all different times. I rarely watch at home.

Mine's only 2 and we don't let her watch too much TV. But I know a lot about the Disney Princesses now. Had no idea that Sleeping Beauty's name was Briar Rose. I'm getting all prepped for Jeopardy now...

Thread Information