Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber ullrichk's Avatar

Default National Guard / Reserve leave time question

I'm trying to find out what policies other departments use to address Reserve or National Guard leave for FD employeess.

Most departments (mine too, apparently) say something to the effect of "in accordance with state / federal guidelines" - which is something like 20 days per year. I need more specific information, if anyone has any.

In your department, does an 8 hr employee get 20 days military leave at 8 hrs per day, and a 24 hr employee get 20 days at 24 hours, or does the 24 hour employee get 20 days at 8 hrs, like his 8 hr counterpart?

If you have a specific policy, does it apply to other municipal/county departments too, or is it specified by your contract?

Thanks in advance.
    ullrichk
    a.k.a.
    perfesser

a ship in a harbor is safe. . . but that's not what ships are for

Forum Member

Google employment and military service

MembersZone Subscriber

When I was federal, we could get up to 20 days paid military leave. Now that I'm on a municipal department, I get leave without pay - as much as I need for Reserve duty. It really depends on the employer. They don't HAVE to pay you when you on military duty, but some do for a period of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Geinandputitout View Post
    Google employment and military service
    I have. I'm not lazy - I need some help with research.

The law states a number of days. It is silent on the issue of whether "days" is to be interpreted as 24 hour periods, full shifts of any duration, or some other meaning.

Tennessee has a legal interpretation (but not a precedent) stating that giving some employees (firefighters) 24 hours paid military leave, and other employees (40 hr. employees) 8 hours paid leave would be discriminatory.

If an employer chooses to support Guardsmen and Reservists with paid leave it leaves the jurisdiction open to lawsuit. If the employer removes paid military leave, shift-work firefighters get the short end of the stick.
    ullrichk
    a.k.a.
    perfesser

MembersZone Subscriber

Default NG/Reserves

If you provide me with an email address I can get you my locals contract language. It is very extensive. All employers are controlled by USSSRA.

MembersZone Subscriber

As a Fed FF, I get 216 hours a fiscal year, which begins Oct 1. I work 24 hour shifts. If I take 24 hours military leave for drill weekends, I get a whole 9 days out of it. If I take 8 hours, I get 27.

I live 1.5 hours from work, and reserves is about 9 hours long each day, so figure at a minimum 11 hours give or take a few minutes. I usually just take 24 and rest of the days as comp time, or leave w/o pay. It bites, but I deal with it.
    A Fire Chief has ONLY 1 JOB and that's to take care of his fireman. EVERYTHING else falls under this.

Quote Originally Posted by TBad1557 View Post
    If you provide me with an email address I can get you my locals contract language. It is very extensive. All employers are controlled by USSSRA.
    I'd be grateful for any help you can provide. Could you turn on your PM's?
    ullrichk
    a.k.a.
    perfesser

What I'm finding out so far is that there seems to be no standardization. I've found paid and unpaid military leave at 20 days per year, with "days" running 8, 8.5. 10.5, and 24 hours, depending on the jurisdiction.

Minnisota (I think) requires 24 hours for 24 hour shift workers, 12 for 12 hr, etc. Indiana requires 8 hours, regardless of regular shift duration. Washington state apparently interprets that "days" are regular work days and don't include weekends!

The USEERA doesn't spell it out in black and white and there seems to be a world of interpretations.
    ullrichk
    a.k.a.
    perfesser

Forum Member

Our guys get 20 paid days a year absences a year. If they work on days they get 20, 8 hour shifts. If they work 24's they get 20, 24 hour shifts.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Contract language

Contact me via our local website sterlingheightsfirefighters.or g

Hi TBad, see you in class next week...

Our union contract allows 10 military leave days per calender year where they will pay the difference in TAXABLE military pay. I request a day off for military leave, my regular chack comes in, and I turn in a copy of my LES so they can deduct the pay for that day. No difference in leave specified between staff/24 hr shifts, never had a 40 hr employee in the service. Anything over 10 days is unpaid leave. However, the current municipal board keeps us on the health insurance and our pension contributions continue.

The situation with the different leave scale for 40 hr/24hr shifts you mention was the subject of a lawsuit in Indianapolis. The case is here:
    http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/cgi-bi...case&no=012219

Many states require differential pay or allow longer leaves. Make sure you check your local statutes.

I usually do more than the minimum drills, to include a conference or school every year, so I use my 10 days up. I use vacation or trade time to cover the rest.

Thread Information