Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber JohnVBFD's Avatar

Default For those thinking of joinging....

This is for those that come here thinking of joining the Military, be it active duty, Guard, or Reserve, JUST to receive Veteran Bonus on a Civil Service Exam. Read it. Read it well. I'll highlight the important parts for you

Soldier surprises children at school

Posted: Jan 14, 2008 05:52 PM EST

Updated: Jan 16, 2008 07:08 PM EST

Also on WAVY.com

Go to the WAVY Blogs and blog this topic

The word of the day at St. Mary's Star of the Sea catholic school Monday: surprise. Two students, Shannon McNamara, 10 and her brother Nathan, 5, got a big surprise when their father Army Captain Kevin McNamara walked through their classroom doors.

"Daddy?!" Shannon asked with anticipation before running to her father's arms in tears in front of her 4th grade classmates. Nathan raised his hand, as if to ask his first grade teacher for permission to hug his father. "It's overwhelming," the elder McNamara said.

It's the first time the soldier has held his children in nearly a year. McNamara had been stationed in Kuwait when he got word that he would be coming back to the U.S. for a 1 week training mission out of state. He managed to make his way to Hampton Roads for the big surprise.

McNamara said his children had asked him months before if he could bring something back from Iraq. He didn't disappoint. McNamara presented both classrooms with American flags that flew at stations in the country. "I'm not the only military member here; there are plenty of children without mom and dad, so I represent them as well."

McNamara also kept the surprise from his wife, who would find out why her husband hasn't called home later Monday afternoon. Both children left school early with the father to enjoy a special day. McNamara is scheduled to head back to training Tuesday morning.

He's scheduled to come home for good in May.

Now ask yourself why people bite your head off for only being willing to do 180 days.
    Co 11
    Virginia Beach FD

Amateurs practice until they get it right; professionals practice until they cannot get it wrong. Which one are you?

'The fire went out and nobody got hurt' is a poor excuse for a fireground critique.

Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    http://www.tfdfire.com/
    "Fir na tine"

Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Yeah, kleenix material for sure.

I've just seen one of those before, the one with the little boy who couldn't stop crying. It was a tear-jerker the first time I saw it and again today.

That last one, I predict the young lady in white will have a future career as a top-notch TV reporter! What an amazing job those 2 girls did, but especially the one at the end.

Thanks for posting the videos, and Doc already knows how I feel about his article.
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Thread Information