MembersZone Subscriber

Default Firefighter Shot During Fire

By Michael Kimball
    The Oklahoman

MUSKOGEE — A firefighter battling a house fire late Friday was shot by a gun that discharged due to the blaze’s extreme heat.
    The victim, whose identity was not released, was taken to a Tulsa hospital, where he was treated for a wound to his left thigh and released, said Muskogee Fire Chief Derek Tatum.

About 11:20 p.m. Friday, firefighters responded to the fire at 220 S 38. The wounded firefighter was approaching a water pump when the gun discharged and shot him, Tatum said. It was one of several guns at the home.

The fire started because of combustibles stored too close to an open-faced heater. Tatum described the fire and the gun discharge as accidental and said the owner of the home was not acting in a criminal or negligent manner.

Gun owners can prevent a similar accident by properly unloading guns before storage.

“Ammunition in storage, in a box or sitting on a shelf ... will go off (in a fire), but the energy from that ammunition will be dispersed 360 degrees,” Tatum said.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

MembersZone Subscriber

unlike the movies, ammo that just randomly goes off when not in a gun or like object wont do near the damage as it would if it was. That being said, they are still dangerous...

didnt mythbusters do something along the subject matters of this though?
    The Box. You opened it. We Came...

"You'll take my life but I'll take your's too. You'll fire musket but I'll run you through. So when your waiting for the next attack, you'll better understand there's no turn back."

Forum Member

A neighboring county had a LODD a few years ago when a .22 rifle in a fire discharged and hit a FF in the neck.

It's not too common, but it's always a possibility.
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    http://www.tfdfire.com/
    "Fir na tine"

MembersZone Subscriber

Yes, Mythbusters did do an episode of that. Ammo in a box will just blow up and unless you are standing right next to it, chances are you will not be injured. If it is in the confines of a firearm, it will be just as if the firearm was fired at you. The gases still build up and push the projectile out the barrel.

Talk about sh*tty timing with the firefighter. What are the chances? At least it was a leg injury and nothing more. My thoughts go out to him for a speedy recovery. Hopefully he was able to keep the slug for show and tell later!!
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Dickey View Post
    Yes, Mythbusters did do an episode of that. Ammo in a box will just blow up and unless you are standing right next to it, chances are you will not be injured. If it is in the confines of a firearm, it will be just as if the firearm was fired at you. The gases still build up and push the projectile out the barrel.

Talk about sh*tty timing with the firefighter. What are the chances? At least it was a leg injury and nothing more. My thoughts go out to him for a speedy recovery. Hopefully he was able to keep the slug for show and tell later!!
    It will actually be more unpredictable. The barrell is certain to be affected by the heat and will be bent, curved or whatever.

The ammo will also be very unstable. This is a great reason not to touch any firearm that has been exposed to a fire. Just the movement of the weapon may set the primer off. Guns are a LE function. Let them handle it.
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

Forum Member

The brother from Muskogee was damn lucky that the rifle didn't discharge a little higher and to the right!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Same thing happened here about 2 weeks ago. I believe it was a loaded .45 in a closet. The bullet went through the closet door, a wall, and into a firefighters abdomen - piercing through his turnouts, but not his skin.

Left him sore and with quite a bruise.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MemphisE34a View Post
    Same thing happened here about 2 weeks ago. I believe it was a loaded .45 in a closet. The bullet went through the closet door, a wall, and into a firefighters abdomen - piercing through his turnouts, but not his skin.

Left him sore and with quite a bruise.
    I bet he said a ton of extra prayers that night!

That's an amazingly close call!
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    http://www.tfdfire.com/
    "Fir na tine"

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI View Post
    It will actually be more unpredictable. The barrell is certain to be affected by the heat and will be bent, curved or whatever.

The ammo will also be very unstable. This is a great reason not to touch any firearm that has been exposed to a fire. Just the movement of the weapon may set the primer off. Guns are a LE function. Let them handle it.
    Very true.

The gun itself can warp and it may even explode out the side of the barrel or somewhere else because the metal has been warmed and softened just enough. I've been in a room with exploding ammo and didn't realize what it was at first until I heard rocks (bullets and casings) falling on my helmet.....not a good situation!
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

We had a fire on Friday night around 1:30am and when we pulled up the front of the house was on fire. The home-owner said there was ammunition inside so we went to fight the fire from the unburned side and as we entered the rear of the structure we found that the entire house was pretty much burning. As we went in (and visibility being zero) we could hear ammo going off and i could see blue/white explosions on the floor, made me a bit nervous. As we put out the back of the house we heard them saying ammo was going off in the front bedroom too.

I don't remember learning anything in the academy about ammunition so I did some research and realized that when it is not in a weapon, the engery basically just makes it explode like popcorn; the only danger is shrapnel.

Everyone was ok, but it made you think a little.

Thread Information